Clyburn: Sanford hates schools

CHARLESTON, S.C. --- House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn said Monday that Gov. Mark Sanford's opposition to $700 million in federal stimulus for schools and public safety shows the governor's animosity toward public education.

Jim Clyburn:Democrat is promising legislation to counteract Gov. Mark Sanford's refusal of stimulus money.  Associated Press
Associated Press

"He is anti-public education. That's all this is," Mr. Clyburn, D-S.C., told reporters before a speech at The Citadel. "He will do anything he possibly can to destroy public education."

Mr. Sanford filed paperwork last week allowing the state to receive the cash, but the state must, by June 17, tell Washington how it will be used, Mr. Clyburn said. The governor wants to use the money to pay down debt, something Mr. Clyburn says makes no sense.

"He is saying to children in these schools that need to be fixed, that I am so concerned you are going to have to pay this back 25 years down the road that I'm going to deny you a solid education that will prepare you to pay it back," Mr. Clyburn said. "You tell me how that makes sense."

Mr. Sanford has for years pushed unsuccessfully for vouchers or tax credits to help parents send their children to private school.

Mr. Clyburn, who said he would do everything possible to make sure South Carolina's students get the help, isn't the only one protesting Mr. Sanford's position.

A group of volunteers on Monday made plans to build a tent city in a Columbia park just blocks from the governor's mansion.

Mr. Clyburn is working with federal Education Secretary Arne Duncan and lawmakers to try to get around Mr. Sanford's opposition to accepting the $700 million. He would not comment on his strategy but promised to have legislation in place by the June deadline.

About $2.8 billion in federal stimulus money is intended for South Carolina over the next two years. Mr. Sanford has said he'll take nearly all of that, but not the $700 million set aside to spare schools and colleges from budget cuts and layoffs.

He wants it used in some way to offset state debt -- a plan twice rejected by the White House.

Most state lawmakers, including Republicans who control the Legislature, want to use the money for schools.

Mr. Sanford, the chairman of the Republican Governors Association, became the nation's last chief executive to tell the White House that he'll consider taking stimulus cash.

While the governor has said he has no intention of running for president, his critics cite that as his motivation.

"He's trying to play the small-government card," said Brady Quirk-Garvan, a spokesman for the tent city event dubbed "Sanfordville."

"We all know he's got ambitions in 2012," he said.

toldya
toldya 04/07/09 - 11:38 am
I have always held Mr.

I have always held Mr. Clyburn (who is very active in Aiken's charities) to a high level of integrity. If Sanford thinks he will be able to run for President, he is far more egotistical of his own abilities than anyone else is in this state. He is an idiot. Mr. Clyburn: see if you get that money divided up between all SC taxpaying citizens. That way we can all donate money as WE SEE FIT to these needy schools and their teachers, who, by the way, are always under Sanford's "hit list". It bears repeating: Sanford is an idiot.

toldya
toldya 04/07/09 - 11:39 am
I have always held Mr.

I have always held Mr. Clyburn (who is very active in Aiken's charities) to a high level of integrity. If Sanford thinks he will be able to run for President, he far more egotistical of his own abilities than anyone in this state. He is an idiot. Mr. Clyburn: see if you get that money divided up between all SC taxpaying citizens. That way we can all donate money as WE SEE FIT to these needy schools and their teachers, who, by the way, are always under his "hit list". It bears repeating: Sanford is an idiot.

KSL
KSL 04/07/09 - 02:39 pm
Wrong Clyburn, pint. He is

Wrong Clyburn, pint. He is not from Aiken.

Rose
Rose 04/07/09 - 05:09 pm
Now where did halfpint say

Now where did halfpint say Clyburn is from Aiken?

KSL
KSL 04/07/09 - 05:51 pm
In the first line, Rose. She

In the first line, Rose. She is confusing him with Bill Clyburn.

Rose
Rose 04/07/09 - 08:00 pm
she still did not say he was

she still did not say he was from Aiken.

KSL
KSL 04/07/09 - 08:26 pm
Well, I happen to know that

Well, I happen to know that the Clyburn in the article is not who she was talking about. She had them confused.

Rose
Rose 04/07/09 - 08:51 pm
Then why tell me?

Then why tell me?

KSL
KSL 04/07/09 - 09:00 pm
Because you got on here and

Because you got on here and made your little snide remark, trying to pick at me just like you have continually been doing of late.

KSL
KSL 04/07/09 - 09:09 pm
By the way, you never

By the way, you never commented on the fact that I posted where factcheck.org had caught Obama in a, I won't say lie, but a definite misrepresentation of facts regarding his stance on handgun control. You decided to support him. You may be doing it for misguided reasons. I never had a problem with you being an Obama supporter. I sent you the information so that you would be informed and could be certain your candidate fit your ideals. If all you want to do is research the site of the candidate to find out what he purports to believe in, you will be sorely misinformed. Particularly in the case of Obama. There is quite a bit of scientific evidence that would lead one to believe that Obama was not the real author of his first book. Now of course his own website would deny that. Duh.

KSL
KSL 04/07/09 - 11:23 pm
Did have a pleasant

Did have a pleasant conversation with your son and hope that the job works out for him.

Rose
Rose 04/07/09 - 11:45 pm
Well good. I am glad he

Well good. I am glad he reached you, and thanks.

Rose
Rose 04/07/09 - 11:47 pm
About your 9:09 post. That is

About your 9:09 post. That is what I am talking about. I told you to stop the political crap with me. I will not discuss politics with you.

KSL
KSL 04/08/09 - 12:03 am
Not asking for discussion.

Not asking for discussion. Just want to make certain you are totally and not blindly informed. By the way, you are missing out on a email from Australia where there are stats about crime up indicating that the taking away of guns from law abiding citizens has resulted in a huge increase in crime over the last year. Only reason I would have forwarded that to you is the fact that Obama has supported gun control. Not a smear unless you think factcheck.org is doing that. And it is alleged that they are quite biased toward Obama.

KSL
KSL 04/08/09 - 12:06 am
The only reason I'm still up

The only reason I'm still up is trying to get a message to your son. Something incorrect as to his email address. Please send it to me. I have not blocked you.

Rose
Rose 04/08/09 - 12:10 am
I sent it to you. And don't

I sent it to you. And don't worry about me being informed about our President. I will not discuss him with you.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 04/08/09 - 08:09 am
Let's use the tactic that

Let's use the tactic that Rose uses on numerous occasions here. "I will discuss politics at end......until someone points out, using facts, that I am wrong, or if someone asks me to back up my baseless statements......then I won't discuss politics with you............stop picking on me! I will not discuss the president with you because I will support him no matter what........and we all know why."

TechLover
TechLover 04/08/09 - 08:32 am
How about someone who comes

How about someone who comes up with a screen name that sounds like a black female? Could that person be a liar?

mieshel
mieshel 04/08/09 - 09:10 am
I would think so techlover. ,

I would think so techlover. ,

merlin
merlin 04/08/09 - 10:03 am
Sanford was ALL for state

Sanford was ALL for state employees when he was campaigning for Governor and then he didn't keep his word. I WILL NOT vote for him again for Governor NOR would I EVER think of voting for him for President.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 04/08/09 - 02:52 pm
How about someone who doesn't

How about someone who doesn't see the satirical reference of a screen name. Could that person be ignorant?

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 04/08/09 - 03:27 pm
What exactly does a black

What exactly does a black female sound like?

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 04/08/09 - 04:05 pm
Just like your monikor.

Just like your monikor.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 04/08/09 - 04:08 pm
Sanford thinks he is doing

Sanford thinks he is doing himself some good as he postures for a Presidential Run in 2012. The Big O will make him look like a hayseed, if he doesn't already do that himself before the next election. When your schools are in the tank, you cannot do anything worse than refuse government help to improve them.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 04/08/09 - 04:23 pm
To the uninformed ignorant

To the uninformed ignorant around here, George Eliot is a liar too.....I suppose.

justus4
justus4 04/08/09 - 11:08 pm
The congressman nailed ol'

The congressman nailed ol' Sanford and spoke the truth. Actually the Gov hates minority schools and that was his main reasoning for the refusal, but everybody already knows the history of that state.