No outrage over cigarette tax hike?

Effective April 1, cartons of cigarettes will cost an additional $6 per carton.

I do not smoke. I know cigarettes can lead to cancer and other debilitating illnesses. However, there is something inherently unfair, diabolical and sinister about the imposition of this over the top cigarette tax.

What is even more pathetic is the fact there is relatively no public opposition -- just the usual cowardly, under-the-breath whimpers. The American minds have been dumbed downed, and the American will has been beaten down.

Or, just maybe, the American public will grow a backbone if there is a mega-tax imposed on their golf, beer, fried chicken and tanning salons.

Kevin Palmer

Martinez

Comments (62)

GGpap
GGpap 04/06/09 - 01:45 am

Kevin, I'm with you; and, I

Kevin, I'm with you; and, I was a smoker until 1978, and am now a lung cancer survivor for 16 years. Unfortunately the 62 cents a pack tax is a done deal now and not much can be done about it; HOWEVER, if we would just ONCE, ALL OF US, vote the incumbents out in 2010, we might begin to see positive change in government. GGpap

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 04:58 am

The consumption tax on

The consumption tax on cigarettes is a voluntary tax paid by those who feel that while the tax may be excessive, it's not too large to pay. As has been shown many times before, some things are worth just about any price. A true tobacco aficionado will pay "what ever it takes". Look for more taxes on tobacco next year. It's a sure thing.

dhd1108
dhd1108 04/06/09 - 06:09 am

I'm going to start growing my

I'm going to start growing my own. They raised the tax on rolling tobacco from 1$ a pound to 25$ a pound. This brings a pack of Bugler from $1.19 to $3.90. I say they tax McDonalds, chocolate and Hungry Man frozen dinners. Tax them chubbos.
Or even better.. put a tax on all new legislation introduced. paid by the bill's sponsor. out of their own income. no lobbyists dollars allowed

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 06:23 am

I'm with you dhd, consumption

I'm with you dhd, consumption tax is the Fair Tax.

mad_max
mad_max 04/06/09 - 06:24 am

The tax on tobacco is a

The tax on tobacco is a cowardly tax imposed by a gutless Congress who target socially unpopular groups. Supposedly the tax is to fund child healthcare. If a program requires funding let it stand on it's own merits and put the tax on the entire population and see how much support it gets. No tax should be targeted against one segment of the population or one LEGAL product. It is not a consumption tax paid voluntarily any more than the archaic federal tax on tires is paid voluntarily. I have to have tires.....and if you have been smoking your entire life you feel you have to have tobacco. For the most part this tax will hurt people in the lower income groups who will probably give up their medicines and buy less foold to pay this VOLUNTARY tax.

GaPatriot
GaPatriot 04/06/09 - 07:33 am

I'll bet there would be one

I'll bet there would be one bodacious outcry if they tried to raise the tax on beer by the same percentage. Smokers only harm themselves. Yeh, I know all the yapping about second hand smoke. Alcohol kills, instantly! The media is already going after guns again in view of the recent killings. BUT!, how many people were killed in alcohol related car crashes and acts of violence?

I agree with Mad Max, either make tobacco illegal or treat smokers the same as drinkers.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 07:43 am

I don't think the tax targets

I don't think the tax targets anyone. I think it's a tax on an addictive product and will be paid by those that choose to be addicted. It's a choice. I'm not quite certain how this compares to tires. Alcohol kills immediately? I've had several drinks. If the tax were raised on alcohol and I wanted a drink, I'd choose to pay the tax.

GaPatriot
GaPatriot 04/06/09 - 07:53 am

Patricia, did you drive

Patricia, did you drive afterwards? We all know that a first time drinker can get into an automobile and kill themselves or someone else. Let's not be obtuse here.

MachoWill
MachoWill 04/06/09 - 07:55 am

I agree with you Mad Max, No

I agree with you Mad Max, No tax should be targeted against one segment of the population or one LEGAL product.
Thought you all would like a list of the yes and no votes for the next election. Yes, I think SUV's and Tanning Salons should be next.
Smokers remember to vote.
John Barrow Democrat Yes
Jack Kingston Republican No
John Linder Republican No
Thomas Price Republican No

See a pattern here?

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 04/06/09 - 08:18 am

I am not outraged nor happy.

I am not outraged nor happy. I have never smoked so it is hard for me to feel sympathy for smokers. The same goes for those who drink. I never heard of anyone dying from sitting around someone eating a Big Mac, or smelling pizza.

dhd1108
dhd1108 04/06/09 - 08:22 am

hypocrites, fat people

hypocrites, fat people shoveling down fast food make me nauseous. wobbly arms raising that 64 oz corn syrup filled coke. i deserve government subsidized therapy for having to witness this.

GaPatriot
GaPatriot 04/06/09 - 08:27 am

Hypocrites 08, you must not

Hypocrites 08, you must not be reading much. The major nanny states are proposing taxes to control obesity. "When they came for the guy down the street, I wasn't concerned, when they came for my neighbor, I wasn't concerned. Excuse me a moment, somone is knocking loudly on my do....

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/06/09 - 08:36 am

Remember, no tax increases on

Remember, no tax increases on people making less than $250K per year. None!! Now, where did I hear that?

reb007
reb007 04/06/09 - 08:51 am

Tax tax tax tax tax wake up

Tax tax tax tax tax wake up people.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 08:56 am

GaPatriot., no I don't drive

GaPatriot., no I don't drive after drinking and I don't jump off of tall buildings while smoking. Obtuse? what's your point. Do you know that stabbing someone while smoking a cigarette harms more than one person?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 09:01 am

A tax on a non-food product

A tax on a non-food product gives you the choice of not consuming the product, paying the tax, or seeking black market competition. As far as taxing a legal product goes, how do you tax an illegal product?

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/06/09 - 09:13 am

PT, fair tax.

PT, fair tax.

radiatingtatas
radiatingtatas 04/06/09 - 09:24 am

I posted this yesterday they

I posted this yesterday they put the tax on cigs to pay for childcare and the elevated cost that "cigarette smokers have" well I see people saying about alcohol and fast food. They cause medical conditions. My hubby smokes he does not drink and we barely eat fast food. Why not tax double and triple for all the above. It is ridiculous about the tax but one thing is smokers are addicted and unfortunately they will pay the extra to get their fix. Maybe they will tax the BIG MAC triple for the obesity and high cholesterol medical bills. People complain about having to pay for lung cancer and other medical problems of smokers. Why don't you complain about have to pay for gastric bypass for a 500 lb person who lived on fast food or for the people that have to have liver transplants. They should not target just one product and one group. Just my opinion though y'all have a great day

ITDoc
ITDoc 04/06/09 - 09:28 am

$1 a gallon tax on gasoline.

$1 a gallon tax on gasoline. Let's do it. See the outrage. See the politicians run. Run politicians run!

radiatingtatas
radiatingtatas 04/06/09 - 09:32 am

Lets do it Alfred and I will

Lets do it Alfred and I will die laughing when they do run oh WAIT no we can't tax gasoline I don't have the expense accounts they have and my hubby has to go back and forth to post so if they tax the gasolinen I will never see my husband well hmmmmm. that might not be such a bad idea. lol

disssman
disssman 04/06/09 - 09:57 am

Just do what I did before I

Just do what I did before I quit and still do. When these charities call for donations for childrens programs, just tell them you give to kids everytime you light up and you don't have money for them anymore. If you quit your giving you will have enough to make up for the increase, and lets face it the increase was supposedly to pay for children.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 04/06/09 - 10:04 am

Is there an adult smoker

Is there an adult smoker anywhere that has not said or thought, "I should quit", at least once? Fact is, 2nd hand smoke is not only offensive, it kills. Last I heard, nobody has become ill from 2nd hand Budweiser, Big Macs, or a nice warm Cinnabon. Besides, the gov has to make up for the extra 15 bucks a week we're enjoying.
(might as well be a hacker)

MJDW
MJDW 04/06/09 - 10:06 am

Why not change to Fair Tax so

Why not change to Fair Tax so all thoes who sit on their lazy butts playing the system pay a tax on my tax dollars they are living on?

NANF
NANF 04/06/09 - 10:28 am

Hey folks what happened to

Hey folks what happened to all that money that all the cigarette companies had to pay to all the states for health issues? Kind of makes someone think that it was just some doctors and lawyers who needed some spending money Big money. Had a friend that smoked all his life got cancer and tried to get help from this "fund"and was told they didn't qualify. I wonder!!

toldya
toldya 04/06/09 - 10:35 am

Tax addictive items: that

Tax addictive items: that means all alcolholic beverages, soft drinks with caffiene, including tea and coffee, chocolate. And to the writer: who exactly are we suppose to "rant" to? They (gov't which is crap becuase tobacco co. have the politicians in their back pockets) beleive that we are so harmful as a group that they outlawed us having a smoke in a bar. To all the writers saying "second hand smokes kills"- well, I'll place a bet to see who has been harmed more, the "second inhalers" or the victims of drunk driving (including the drunk driver). Gimme a break already- smokers have been ostricized more and more over the last 20 years then any other "group" in society.

toldya
toldya 04/06/09 - 10:40 am

The fact is: the cigarette

The fact is: the cigarette companies were putting in additives and not advising the public that they were addicitive. Then they increase the additives to make you more addictive. Thats why they were "slapped" a few years back. What did it accomplish- were they required to slowly decrease the additives-no. Were they told that they would be responsible to the people who were addicitive by giving them programs, shots, patches until they were able to kick the habit? no. This seem fair? no.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 04/06/09 - 11:29 am

1/2p Here's a bet for you.

1/2p Here's a bet for you. I'll bet most people that drink do not drive while intoxicated, however everyone that smokes at some time exposes a non smoker to their filth. The only people that deny 2nd hand smoke kills/injures? Hackers. Imagine that...

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 04/06/09 - 11:42 am

All I am saying I am glad it

All I am saying I am glad it is week 8 for me. Hard to beak but I did it. As I pat myself on the back.

TechLover
TechLover 04/06/09 - 12:02 pm

Tax those who do something

Tax those who do something you don't believe in. Interesting how may who gripe aout other taxes have no problem with this. The gas tax is voluntary too, just don't drive. Just wait until you get the cola,fatback, bacon tax. They're bad for you tax them. Hearing from some friends who smoke, it seems the 62 cents a pack tax increased the price of a pack smokes by $2.00 or more. After they told me I noticed some stores even have signs blaming price increase on the tax. One said a 150% increase in the tax, yet didn't explain where that extra $1.50 price increase came from. Slick business practice, huh? I hope everyone quits, when they do the tax revenue dry up. Just don't tax my bacon.

KSL
KSL 04/06/09 - 12:30 pm

1/2, don't for get some

1/2, don't for get some brands of over the counter pain relievers.