U.S. grows more business-unfriendly

I have read several letters, rants, etc. in which socialists have invited all those who disagree with the liberal socialist agenda to leave the country.

Little do they apparently know that not only are Americans leaving the country, but so are jobs -- as corporations fed up with high taxes, silly burdens such as the Family Leave Act and environmental restrictions applied without sensible data, are transferring their corporate headquarters to corporation-friendly countries.

Manufacturing jobs are going out of the country en masse . nations such as China have cut corporate taxes, are building nuclear power plants and have no "carbon footprint" taxes that will strangle U.S. utilities. Ever notice where all our goods are manufactured?

Don't worry, though. The hard-working, enterprising U.S. citizens and corporations are being replaced by millions of druggie, handout-seeking illegals.

Be careful what you wish for -- you just might get it.

Allen W. Johnson

Augusta

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 03:42 am
Mr Johnson, you'd make a

Mr Johnson, you'd make a lousy Dem. Close your eyes and let yourself be led so we can all be equal. Up the Obama!

TechLover
TechLover 04/06/09 - 03:47 am
It goes to prove that many

It goes to prove that many American companies don't care about America.Money is their God.The need for modest profits gave way to institutionalized greed.No longer were those in the stock market satisfied with steady gains and a sensible level of return,they wanted to double or triple their money in a matter of years.They lined politicians pockets to remove as much regulation as possible.The big wheels in the company make millions even if their decisions made the business unprofitable while they lay off workers or cut workers pay and benefits while US productivity has increased.A 2006 Business Week article mentoned that due to labor shortages a company in China had raised it's salaries to an average of $160 a month.It's not taxes and regulations that cause jobs moving overseas.Laws should be written to penalize comapnies that move their headquarters and manufacturing overseas and reward those that do not, not across the board tax breaks.If the corporations and the LTE writer had their way Americans would be working for thirld world wages with less rights than we have now. Our rivers and air would be as polluted as those in the thirld world.They don't care about America, only money.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 04:36 am
"...It's not taxes and

"...It's not taxes and regulations that cause jobs moving overseas.Laws should be written to penalize comapnies that move their headquarters and manufacturing overseas..." Good plan TechLover. Punish the rich if they stay here and punish them if they move. How DEMOCRATIC. Obama would be proud of your ideas on economics.

dhd1108
dhd1108 04/06/09 - 04:44 am
these new rules and

these new rules and regulations will mean the end of hundreds if not thousands of family and independently owned businesses. i could care less about corporate job losses. government red tape in any form [filtered word] me off

TechLover
TechLover 04/06/09 - 05:05 am
Just eliminate all

Just eliminate all restrictions and taxes on business and bring back slavery, they'll make trillions. Once again PT, you use the good old tried and true Repub tactic, use part of a quote."and reward those that do not," makes a bit of a difference. That sure sounds like punishment to me. Maybe your private school should have taught reading. It makes no sense to reward businesses for moving jobs overseas. Sorry you hate the American worker so much.

CH
CH 04/06/09 - 05:12 am
Gee TECH, I guess this

Gee TECH, I guess this government, that just doubled out national debt, really cares about America? What a joke. Old big ears, Hairplug Joe, and San Fran Nan, or as I call them, the 3 stooges, only care about getting re-elected, along with the rest of the joke we refer to as congress. Name one piece of legislation that promotes business and rewards industry in this country. You want more business to locate here and provide jobs for Americans? Tell idiot O and congress to cut corporate taxes that locate and stay here, and get rid of the minimum wage. It's ridiculous, government telling private business what that have to pay their workers. Government can tell me to provide my workers with a safe, harassment free environment. Fine, but where do they get off telling me what I have to pay them? Government is the biggest weight around the necks of business, and this government is the worst. Businesses that have taken bailout money, GM, Chrysler, AIG, have sounded their deathbell.

TechLover
TechLover 04/06/09 - 05:44 am
Yeah, get rid of the minimum

Yeah, get rid of the minimum wage. Let's get those third world wages here. Exactly what I said was they SHOULD reward those businesses that create and keep jobs in the US, not ALL businesses. THat's where I disagree with the Dems and Repubs. Too many Dems want to keep rates up across the board and too many Repubs want to cut them across the board. Why should we cut corporate taxes on a business that has moved all it's manufacturing to China? So they can open more factories in China?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 05:51 am
TechLover, re you 6:05. You

TechLover, re you 6:05. You want to tax and regulate the evil rich and then reward the evil rich for staying here and being taxed and regulated? I must admit, you're reasoning is WAY to deep for me. I guess I'll never have a Dem mind. (Which part is about hating the American worker?)

DonH
DonH 04/06/09 - 05:59 am
The businesses that moved

The businesses that moved their jobs out of the U.S. forgot one very important thing. Having those manufacturing jobs here in the U.S. provided wages that were spent here in the U.S. to buy those goods. Simply put: No job, no money to spend, no economy. The rest is history. And, too, workers are not slaves. If businesses would pay them right, treat them right, manage them right, they will prosper with high productivity. The Union movement was started out of frustration. Now, even Unionism has turned into just another business. Time to scratch the whole mess and start over!

uncleshirt
uncleshirt 04/06/09 - 06:23 am
I really have to take issue

I really have to take issue with this person calling the Family Leave Act a "silly burden". Last summer, I was prescribed an antibiotic from my dentist for prophylaxsis after a tooth extraction. It killed off the "good" bacteria in my intestine and caused me to contract C. Diff colitis. As a result of this, I had to have emergency surgery to remove my colon. I wore a colostomy for three months and had to have another operation to remove the bag and reconnect my insides. I lost my job, got behind in my bills, and had my car repossesed. My wife took time off from work under this "socialist" program to take care of me. She had a job to go back to but we still aren't back on top. If Clinton had gotten us a better deal with this "silly burden" my wife could have been paid while she was off but the Republicans in Congress watered the The Family Leave Act down to what we have today. The author of this letter obviously doesn't have a clue as to what real people have to deal with. I hope you and your family don't ever experience any difficulties like I did because you may need the Family Leave Act one day.

CH
CH 04/06/09 - 06:44 am
TECH, it's simple...try to

TECH, it's simple...try to follow along. If you don't like the "third world wage" I'm paying, don't work for me. Better yet, stay in school and get the education and training you need to get a better paying job. Like most libs, you dodged my question. Where does the government get off telling private business what it must pay it's employees? If I'm taking TARP money, fine. But if I'm not, why should I be subject to federal interference in my business?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 06:53 am
I'm very sorry for your

I'm very sorry for your medical problems, uncleshirt, and I hope you recover physically and financially. Why is it, again, the responsibility of the taxpayer? I'm all for people helping people, if they choose to. I'm not certain if providing the help with confiscatory taxes is "choice".

bone
bone 04/06/09 - 07:24 am
pt, it's hard to explain to

pt, it's hard to explain to libs that businesses are SUPPOSED to make money and that is the true American way. once gov't gets involved with "helping" too many people (i.e. paying them to not work), businesses are left with few alternatives: pay wages (taxes) to people who don't work for you; or move to a location where you actually pay workers and not freeloaders.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/06/09 - 07:32 am
Tech does have a point. Greed

Tech does have a point. Greed did cause much of the problems we have today. But, you can't throw out a system that worked for over 300 yrs. Baby with the bath water.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 07:32 am
It seems to be, bone. One

It seems to be, bone. One poster today suggested rewarding the businesses that stayed here and were penalized for being in business. I just can't seem to grasp the "thinking and reasoning" process of the lib left. I can't seem to fine much common ground.

uncleshirt
uncleshirt 04/06/09 - 07:37 am
patriciathomas, I hope you

patriciathomas,
I hope you will remain healthy and well off your entire life so that you will never experience anything like I went through. God forbid if you have a string of bad luck and need help. You obviously believe in social darwinism that says suvival of the fittest at all costs. Your glib response demonstrates a total lack of regard for those less fortunate than you. Some of us believe that those who have good fortune have a responsibility to the less fortunate. I believe this idea is one of the cornerstones of several major religions including Christainity.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 07:39 am
justthefacts, I have a

justthefacts, I have a problem with "greed" and "price gouging" in a system that has competition. How can they exist when there is a competing business that provides the same product or service at a "un-greedy" or "non-price gouging" level? Only in a system that stems competition can these traits find a hold.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/06/09 - 07:45 am
Yes PT, but sometimes you

Yes PT, but sometimes you have to have a renigate break from the pack. Otherwise, they all join in on the gravy chain.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 07:47 am
uncleshirt, glib response? I,

uncleshirt, glib response? I, too, believe this is a cornerstone of most religions. It's the "forced charitable attitude" that I have a problem with. The "more fortunate" being responsible for the "less fortunate" , without the individual being able to choose who is "fortunate" and who deserves help, is the cornerstone of socialism. Again, I wish you well and hope you're able to overcome your difficulties. I just don't feel the responsibility for your well being is the taxpayers.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 07:51 am
justthefacts, in competition,

justthefacts, in competition, the smaller company will take the path that will lead to more customers. Breaking from the pack is what produces the gravy train.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/06/09 - 07:52 am
PT, in a perfect world, yes.

PT, in a perfect world, yes.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/06/09 - 08:08 am
justthefacts, well, in a

justthefacts, well, in a world of competition it happens. Following the pack, regulating a monopoly, capping a profit all lead to "everyone doing the same thing". To stand out, and attract customers that want a change, and hopefully an improvement, the provider has to break out. I give you FOXNEWS as a perfect example. We had 3 broadcast networks, a "public" system and a cable news network (CNN) that all provided exactly the same product, almost word for word. Along came FOX with an unfiltered version and VOILA, half of the customers left the pack. The other half still have the same view (except for the lead dog)

ITDoc
ITDoc 04/06/09 - 08:15 am
I had to use the FMLA when my

I had to use the FMLA when my wife became ill. Didn't cost the US Taxpayer one thin dime. It was nice I couldn't be fired from my job due to the three months I took care of her. I used my vacation and sick days for one month and the last two months, I had to pay my insurance premiums (as well as hers). The FMLA saved me and the taxpayers money.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/06/09 - 08:22 am
PT, I'm on your side, but,

PT, I'm on your side, but, still insist that there is a greed element out there today that has sullied capitalism and given rise to what we have now. Public support for Obama's socialism is aided by these greedy bankers, lawyers, mortgage brokers, etc. Yes, eventually, it catches up them. But, still........

ITDoc
ITDoc 04/06/09 - 08:34 am
Superiourity. Victory.

Superiourity. Victory. Success. Profit. Bonus. Executive. Failure. The new "seven dirty words" as espoused by the do-nothing have-nothing Obentitlement slugs.

ITDoc
ITDoc 04/06/09 - 08:37 am
The US is no longer a

The US is no longer a producer nation, we have become a consumer nation. When we quit consuming, our economy falters. I say this is good. Save your money, put it in your LOCAL banks. Start your own business. Serve your neighborhood. Do NOT follow Obraindead's example of spending money which you do not have. That's the root of the mess we're in and no one is innocent, we are all culpable.

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/06/09 - 08:43 am
Good post CH. TECH has no

Good post CH. TECH has no response to clear economic facts. Go figure.

bsandersga
bsandersga 04/06/09 - 09:48 am
Jobs go overseas because CEOs

Jobs go overseas because CEOs and stock holders are greedy and current laws reward them for sending those jobs to China. Mr. Johnson uses his conservative instincts to come to his conclusions instead of doing some hard research.

TechLover
TechLover 04/06/09 - 10:12 am
PT: Obviously you don't

PT: Obviously you don't understand FMLA, nothing new there. It says you can't be fired for taking medcal leave. If you have vacation or sick pay saved up, you get paid, otherwise not. Taxes are not involved. CH: I have a BSN and make well over minimum wage. I'm doing fine. Nice to know you're one of the kindly business owners that would love to pay someone a dollar an hour. I guess you don't think you should have to pay overtime either. May I suggest moving your business to China. That way you can get away with it. Better yet, bring back slavery or indentured servitude. For a one time fee you can work people to death. How about child labor? Those eight year olds work cheap. You'd probably like that.

elliottness
elliottness 04/06/09 - 10:39 am
excellent points techlover!

excellent points techlover! it's so nice to see someone else thinks out of the box around here.these repukes will never be satisfied until we revert back to the 20's and 30's, where kids worked in mills for pennies a day,under horrible conditions.the owners lived on top of the hill and the peasants below in the shotgun houses.nancy reagan told the poor to eat more potato chips, while babs bush exclaimed that sleeping on a cot in the superdome is a step up.may both of these repukes rot in hell with their husbands!

Sickness closes all McDuffie County schools

One day after closing an elementary because of excessive absences caused by an outbreak of influenza, strep infection and stomach viruses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to enact an ...