Eagles eye Metress for job opening

Dip Metress confirmed Friday that Georgia Southern is interested in him for its vacant head coaching position.

Augusta State coach Dip Metress is drawing interest from officials at Georgia Southern, a Division I school.  File/Staff
File/Staff
Chris Gay
Sports Writer
Twitter: @AUG_ChrisGay
E-mail | 706-823-3645

The Eagles have called the Augusta State athletic department asking about Metress, who has led the Jaguars to consecutive NCAA Division II Final Four appearances. As of Friday afternoon, the fifth-year Augusta State men's basketball coach had not spoken directly with anyone from Georgia Southern.

"It's an honor that they called," said Metress, who is 115-43 with the Jaguars.

The Statesboro, Ga., school is looking to replace Jeff Price, who resigned after leading the Eagles to an 8-22 record this season. Georgia Southern, which is reported to be under investigation by the NCAA, also is expected to contact Georgia Tech assistant coach Charlton Young, a former Eagles guard, according to the Savannah Morning News .

Metress, meanwhile, continues to look ahead toward next season. After leading the Jaguars to a school-record 30-5 campaign, he is trying to fill the void left by 7-foot, 291-pound All-American senior center Garret Siler.

"I'm recruiting for Augusta State right now," Metress said. "In coaching, you have to recruit for your own job."

At a Martinez-Evans Rotary Club meeting Friday, Metress talked about traveling to Senegal with the Augusta State Study Abroad program in May.

"I've never been to Africa for recruiting," he said. "I'm anxious to get over there.

"We're going to have to go international to find size. (International players) have no idea what the difference is between Augusta State and the University of Georgia. They're here to get an education."

The Jaguars returned home from the Division II Elite Eight in Springfield, Mass., two Fridays ago. When Metress got back to work three days later, his returning players were in the gym working out.

"That is why we've had success," he said.

Reach Chris Gay at (706) 823-3645 or chris.gay@augustachronicle.com.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/04/09 - 09:12 am
Dip, has been successful

Dip, has been successful everywhere he has been. If Ga So doesn't get him, rest assured someone else will. We have been blessed to have had him build this program from nothing. It's also time for ASU to go D-1.

mag5
mag5 04/04/09 - 12:52 pm
No..D1 will not fit ASU. It

No..D1 will not fit ASU. It will not be supported and will not be successful. Its been tried before. Just take a look at Kennesaw state and USC Upstate who left the Peach Belt.

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 04/04/09 - 02:07 pm
Riverman1--we have been

Riverman1--we have been through this before. We were D-1 back in the 80s and it didn't work out. Being Division I brings so much extra baggage and the need for extra money.

I just hope we can get a replacement that is half as good as Dip when he leaves.

JM88
JM88 04/04/09 - 03:07 pm
It would be a big blow to ASU

It would be a big blow to ASU to lose Dip, but with the success he's had here you knew it was only a matter of time before the D1 schools came calling. Although I'd hate to lose him, I'm happy he's finally getting the recognition he deserves for his great work with the Jags.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/04/09 - 08:26 pm
Guys, I know we were D-I

Guys, I know we were D-I before. This time it would take an effort by the whole community. Selling sponsorships and so on like the hockey team did. Sure not everyone who goes D-I profits right away, but some do. Winthrop has been there a while from D-2, but they have also been in the NCAA tournament. Our biggest past rival was Charleston Southern. They begged ASU to go D-I with them. College of Charleston has been there a while, too, but they came from a tiny gym that would make Paine's look big and D-3 to become the national power they are. With our huge metro area, number of students and big gym we would match other D-I schools well. Remember when we were D-I and opened Christenberry FH? We played South Carolina to a sellout crowd.

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 04/04/09 - 08:47 pm
Riverman1, I agree what

Riverman1, I agree what College of Charleston did was remarkable. However, our golf program is D-1 and couldn't keep a big-time coach. What makes you think the ASU athletic department is going to give any more support to the basketball program?