2 charged in killing face hearing

An April 29 hearing has been scheduled to hear evidence against a Columbia County woman and son accused of fatally beating the woman's neighbor last week in her Grovetown home.

Rebecca Bowers Sears, 41, and Christopher Sean Bowers, 19, will appear before a Superior Court judge for the preliminary hearing at the Evans courthouse, said Victor Hawk, Ms. Sears' attorney. The two were arrested last weekend on charges of murder and conspiracy to commit murder in the death of Laverne Katherine "Kay" Parsons, 41.

The defense typically doesn't present evidence at preliminary hearings, which are primarily an opportunity for prosecutors to present evidence justifying the charges, said Mr. Hawk, whose brother Jacque is defending Mr. Bowers.

"It does give some insight as to the nature and circumstances of the case and the weight of the evidence against them," he said.

Ms. Sears is "extremely frightened and depressed by the whole thing," he said. "Who wouldn't be?"

The mother and son are being held at the Columbia County Detention Center. Mr. Hawk said a bond hearing likely won't take place until after the preliminary hearing. Should the court schedule a bond hearing sooner, Mr. Hawk said, he would ask that it be postponed until after the April 29 hearing.

Authorities say they think Mr. Bowers, of the 4000 block of Briarwood Drive, and Ms. Sears, of 227 Hot Springs Drive, fatally beat Mrs. Parsons in her home at 229 Hot Springs Drive using a baseball bat and claw hammer. Deputies called to investigate an apparent break-in March 25 found Mrs. Parsons on her garage floor. She died the next day.

Columbia County Magistrate judge Dale Jenereaux said Monday that the conspiracy charges against Mr. Bowers and Ms. Sears likely will be dropped. District Attorney Ashley Wright said Tuesday a decision on charges will be made once the case is presented to a grand jury for indictment.

Reach Donnie Fetter at (706) 868-1222, ext. 115, or donnie.fetter@augustachronicle.com.

debby
debby 04/01/09 - 05:11 am
I'll bet Mrs. Parsons was

I'll bet Mrs. Parsons was frightened too. I hope the courts give these two the sentence they deserve.

augusta49
augusta49 04/01/09 - 07:54 am
who cares if sears is

who cares if sears is frightened?????? i could care less. i'm like debby.....i'll bet mrs. parsons was frightened too being beaten with a bat and clawhammer. these two don't deserve to breathe another breathe. if these two get any type of leniency....then we have no justice system.

karmakills123
karmakills123 04/01/09 - 08:09 am
I just wonder what the "rest

I just wonder what the "rest of the story" is...theres a whole lot that we aren't being told....this is going to end up as a movie on LMN............................

STONEWALLJ1
STONEWALLJ1 04/01/09 - 08:10 am
One 22 bullet for each

One 22 bullet for each strategically fired behind each left ear would be justice.

mercyme
mercyme 04/01/09 - 09:02 am
Augusta49, WE HAVE NO JUSTICE

Augusta49, WE HAVE NO JUSTICE SYSTEM!!!!!! If Brian Nichols gets off with a prison sentence instead of the death penalty ( knowing he did the crime) there is no justice!!!! SAD, SAD, SAD!!!!!!

aninsider
aninsider 04/01/09 - 09:26 am
Was Ms. Sears scared when she

Was Ms. Sears scared when she and her son beat the life out of Mrs. Parsons? Was she scared when she faked the shooting call when she left work? Sounds to me like she is very manipulative. A .22 bullet would be too quick for either of them. I know that there is a lot more to the story than we are being told, and it will all come out in the hearings. I pray our justice system really works this time.

getalife
getalife 04/01/09 - 09:58 am
Mercyme is correct, the

Mercyme is correct, the so-called justice system is broken. Too many sexual offenders, murderers and rapist are being released back into the public where they can do the same thing again, maybe getting away with it.

cc citizen
cc citizen 04/01/09 - 12:53 pm
i believe in our justice

i believe in our justice system. I voted like all good citizens should. I voted for a Sheriff, I voted for Superior Court Judges, I voted for a District Attorney, I voted for our lawmakers in Atlanta and DC. We have an exceptional Augusta Judicial Circuit and I believe each and every person involved in this case will give 120%.
No "system" is perfect, but it is far, far superior to many. The people working within the guidelines of the system and the law are to be commended and respected.

concernedperson
concernedperson 04/01/09 - 12:59 pm
Wow! I agree with both

Wow! I agree with both aninsider and getalife! However, I think they should have to face all of the family and friends of Laverne Katherine "Kay" Parsonsans but most of all, the public on a daily basis. Living and Dealing with this situaiton on a DAILY basis is worth more than any quick death that they could endure.

poolmom
poolmom 04/01/09 - 01:20 pm
We all need to pray for Mrs.

We all need to pray for Mrs. Sears, her son and The Parsons family. She will pay for her crime here on earth and one day when she stands before the Lord!

easy breezy
easy breezy 04/01/09 - 01:45 pm
Extremely frightened? Lawyers

Extremely frightened? Lawyers never run out of BS do they? She should be frightened give her the same treatment for death as Mrs. Parsons received. I believe our justice system won't let us down this time.

geege66
geege66 04/01/09 - 11:24 pm
Frightened, she certainly

Frightened, she certainly should be. The same pain that Kay indured should be inflicted on these two sickos.

beenhereawhile
beenhereawhile 04/02/09 - 09:17 am
Most, not all, attorneys are

Most, not all, attorneys are just well educated actors. They posture and perform and have an arsenal of sayings that are intended to make us feel sorry for them. Try again!

Spartacus
Spartacus 04/02/09 - 11:51 am
Fear not!! With the Hawk

Fear not!! With the Hawk brothers on the case, they will get the death penalty..They coundn't get the Pope out of a jaywalking charge if the tried..

Augustapaperdoll
Augustapaperdoll 04/02/09 - 12:13 pm
The Hawkes have gotten many

The Hawkes have gotten many guilty people off of their charges. So the system does not always work. I'm not saying this is true so don't get all ticked but I've heard "rumors" that there was an affair going on between one of the husbands with one of the wives. If so he plays a part in this also. He needs to be held accountable also. It still doesnt give anyone a right to do what they did. I feel for the Children.

SusieQ
SusieQ 04/02/09 - 12:33 pm
Spartacus--You may be right--

Spartacus--You may be right-- I remember when they had their office in Leah, Ga. It was in a building by Pair of Jacks store years ago. They didn't carry a reputation of being the best attorneys. It's too late for Sears to be frightened and depressed over this. No punishment is bad enough to fit this crime. SusieQ

jr158
jr158 04/02/09 - 12:46 pm
I hope they will have plenty

I hope they will have plenty of forensic evidence, so no lawyer can manipulate them off the hook and these two worthless scum bags get what they deserve. Exterminated!

proudfather
proudfather 04/02/09 - 12:57 pm
Hey, aninsider, I didn't

Hey, aninsider, I didn't think Mrs. Sears was present during the beating. Do you know something others don't know? ---- If she wasn't there, she had knowledge of the attack and tried to cover it up. GUILTY.

SUNSHINEGIRL
SUNSHINEGIRL 04/02/09 - 01:20 pm
Just wondering why the

Just wondering why the attorney would postpone bond hearing until after the hearing scheduled for the 29th if the bond hearing was sheduled prior to the 29th?

SUNSHINEGIRL
SUNSHINEGIRL 04/02/09 - 01:33 pm
let me rephrase that, if the

let me rephrase that, if the bond hearing became available before the april 29th hearing.......

toldya
toldya 04/02/09 - 01:46 pm
Poolmom: I will not waste a

Poolmom: I will not waste a prayer on Sears or her son- what they did was not christian like, they don't deserve any leniency on this Earth or on judgment day with the Big Guy.

toldya
toldya 04/02/09 - 01:52 pm
augustapaperdoll: do you

augustapaperdoll: do you really think that Mr. Parson should be charged -for what- having an affair? Not likely for a couple of reasons; 1. Affairs are not a criminal offense. 2. Its a moral issue not a criminal issue.

toldya
toldya 04/02/09 - 01:54 pm
Bonds are set according to

Bonds are set according to the severity of the crime.They have been charged with conspiracy to commit murder, that will proably change to murder. Sears & Son should stay in jail where its safe for them.

SUNSHINEGIRL
SUNSHINEGIRL 04/02/09 - 02:00 pm
Halfpint: I agree with you.

Halfpint: I agree with you. They will probably be safer in jail.

toldya
toldya 04/02/09 - 02:07 pm
proudfather- I think she

proudfather- I think she helped him commit the crime- Kay was not "petite"- I think it would have taken more than a 19 year old to bring this woman down. This type of crime is a crime of passion, and it appears that the kid had no "passion" for this woman one way or another. I think he was coerced by his nutjob mother. Some posters have claimed to have known this kid, nice quiet, a stoner; I personally don't think he had it in him to pull this whole thing off, such a manipulative plan. A couple of examples: Nutjob Mom called the police about her "burglary". Nutjob Mom went to the waiting room when Kay was in the hospital clinging to life with Kay's family members; Nutjob Mom concocted the story about getting shot. I put this all on her. All she would have had to do was boil a bunny on the stove to slam dunk the Fatal Attraction II movie. Sick female dog that she is.

toldya
toldya 04/02/09 - 02:12 pm
Nutjob Mom didn't calculate

Nutjob Mom didn't calculate everything- she wasn't aware that a contractor was scheduled to do repairs on the french doors. Upon his arrival, (cops were next door about the "burglary") he went in the back to start his work and noticed the glass busted out. He immediately went next door to get the cops. Nutjob Mom actually followed the cop into the home, the cop saw the blood and ordered everyone out. Since Nutjob wasn't expecting the contractor, dollars to donuts, kay would not have been discovered until later that day when her kid was not picked up from baseball practice. special place in he** for this female dog.

sueboo418
sueboo418 04/02/09 - 03:17 pm
Hawke may get this [filtered word]off as

Hawke may get this [filtered word]off as he has somehow managed to get other guilty people off in the past. Brandon Newman ring a bell??

toldya
toldya 04/02/09 - 03:18 pm
I wonder if the April 29th

I wonder if the April 29th Hearing will be open to the Public?

me too
me too 04/02/09 - 03:23 pm
Augustapaperdoll - unless the

Augustapaperdoll - unless the husband that was "rumored" to be having the affair willfully took part in the planning and execution of the crime committed upon Kay Parsons, he is not responsible. Lacking in character for having an affair? Yes. But he isn't responsible for this lunatic and her sons actions. Let the blame be at the feet of Sears and Bowers, where it belongs.

Jillian
Jillian 04/02/09 - 03:25 pm
I honestly wonder how lawyers

I honestly wonder how lawyers who defend such criminals can sleep at night...Is the $$$$ that important that you will stoop to such levels?

It's a disgrace against humanity that someone was evil enough to commit such a crime..why insult us more by defending them and telling us they are suddenly afraid....

if the justice system doesn't mete justice for this victim's blood they still won't escape, because God certainly will execute justice, swiftly, and with no attorney able to intervene for blood money.