Open juvenile courts' doors to public

Regarding Georgia Senate Bill 207, which would broaden public access to juvenile court hearings:

In my decade of experience helping families who have been falsely accused of child abuse, I have never seen a child benefit from juvenile court secrecy. The only beneficiaries of closed juvenile courts are the courts themselves and state agencies such as the state Department of Family and Children's Services.

I maintain that children who come under juvenile court jurisdiction would greatly benefit from the public's scrutiny. For example, any party to a juvenile court case has a right to be heard, but juvenile court judges routinely deny children this right.

Public scrutiny would ensure that the rights of these children are not ignored. This alone would help protect allegedly abused and neglected children.

I have long been a proponent of open juvenile courts, and I take issue with the concept of child protection being at odds with public interest. At best, this is a specious straw man argument, and at worst it is aimed at preserving a status quo that allows government agents to victimize those who are already vulnerable.

As a citizen of a supposedly free and open society, and as a family advocate who has long fought for vulnerable families -- and, most importantly, as a mother -- this status quo is simply unacceptable.

Dorothy Kernaghan-Baez

Augusta

(The writer is founder of the advocacy group Georgia Family Rights Inc.)

lulu
lulu 04/01/09 - 07:20 am
Ms. Kernaghan- Baez, Please

Ms. Kernaghan- Baez,
Please enlighten us all and tell the readers what you have done to protect the children of Georgia. Please give us the names of the familes you claim to have assisted. As we would like to have this "public" info.

lulu
lulu 04/01/09 - 07:25 am
Don't forget to tell the

Don't forget to tell the reader that you also offer:
tarot, psychic, intuinive, reading
Dorothy Kernaghan-Baezskypedorothybaez
Call me for
tarot, psychic, intuinive, reading
Offered in
English

Dorothy Kernaghan-Baez
Dorothy Kernaghan-Baez 04/01/09 - 12:44 pm
While I appreciate you

While I appreciate you advertising my blog, it's not germane to the topic at hand.

I have worked directly with falsely accused families, and no, I'm not going to give you names. Suffice it to say that I've seen such dishonesty from DFACS agents that I've wondered if they even know how to tell the truth. (To be fair, I've also seen a few of them be honest.)

Open courts will protect families by allowing the public to witness, and hopefully correct, the abuses that families suffer.

Thanks again for the link to my blog!

Leonard_ofr
Leonard_ofr 04/01/09 - 01:15 pm
Judging from the obvious

Judging from the obvious character assassination attempt, it would be a pretty good guess that lulu thinks she has a horse in the race. You wouldn't by any chance be a DFACS employee would you, lulu?

The only people who care about the secrecy are the people who have dirty work to hide. Yes, the DFACS, because Character Assassination is what they do. No facts or truth necessary. The Preponderance of Evidence scale isn't allowed to be balanced with TRUTH. Sunshine from public exposure fixes that.

Leonard Henderson, co-founder
American Family Rights Association
"Until Every Child Comes Home"
"The Voice of America's Families"

twocents
twocents 04/01/09 - 02:02 pm
I had to look through all of

I had to look through all of Lulu's posts. She's not prejudiced, Lulu hates everyone and everything. Does Lulu work for the state? Possibly a DFACS worker in disguise? I'm sure Lulu wouldn't mind posting her contact information to acquire the information she requested.

ParentalRightsMO
ParentalRightsMO 04/01/09 - 03:08 pm
In my own experience of being

In my own experience of being a foster/adoptive parent since 1991, CPS exploits the child and uses the most innocent things to twists words, coaches the children, makes up their events, other then the actually truth. CPS falsifies records, lies under oath, illegally seizes children without warrants uses law enforcement under the color or law to enter homes without warrants illegal. They use tactics of intimidation, they cost many innocent people their jobs, homes, financial security. They inflict intentional emotional infliction, and remove children that are completely safe in their own homes. If the child is lucky they get in a foster home to have their basic needs met, and if not they are REALLY abused. Most teens, or children that have come for foster care hotline maliciously because they know how to work the system, to get their own way instead of living with the rules of the house. The parents whether bio or foster/adopted are the only ones punished why CPS caters to those little children/teens that lie and get away with it. Judges are reluctant to do anything that requires them to follow real law, or due process in the court room, CPS takes the lead.Innocent are proven guilty