Woman wasn't kidnapped, now is charged in robbery

A Harlem woman initially identified as a kidnapping victim is now in jail, accused of participating in an armed robbery.

Shashawna Diane Odell, 27, of the 500 block of Lou Lane, was charged with robbery, tampering with evidence and hindering the apprehension/punishent of a criminal. She was held without bond Monday in the Columbia County Detention Center, according to jail records.

Police said her boyfriend Christopher Grier, of the 700 block of Knox Road in Harlem, is suspected in the armed robbery Friday of two individuals in their Grovetown home. At first, police believed Mr. Grier committed the robbery, then kidnapped Ms. Odell and their 7-month-old son and made her drive him to Monroeville, Ala.

An Amber Alert was issued for Ms. Odell and her son after she called her mother in Washington, D.C. The mother called police, saying her daughter had been kidnapped, said Investigator Scott Wheatley of the Grovetown Department of Public Safety.

Police found Ms. Odell and stopped her in Newton County, Ga. After they confirmed that she and the baby were safe, Ms. Odell drove back to Harlem on Sunday.

Grovetown police then questioned Ms. Odell, who admitted that she willingly drove Mr. Grier to Alabama. She also told police that she drove the getaway car for Mr. Grier as he conducted the robbery and disposed of the gun he used, Investigator Wheatley said. The gun was recovered on Kings Way in Harlem. Mr. Grier is wanted for the robbery, but the kidnapping warrants have been dropped, Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said.

Reach Valerie Rowell at 868-1222, ext. 110, or valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 03/31/09 - 07:30 am
Oops I'm sorry did not intend

Oops I'm sorry did not intend to post here.

eyemincogneato
eyemincogneato 03/31/09 - 08:50 am
too bad this isnt the whole

too bad this isnt the whole story or, the correct one either.

4gr8kids
4gr8kids 03/31/09 - 10:16 am
The government will not be

The government will not be raising this child. The child has family members that are taking care of him, without the help of the government.

ripjones
ripjones 03/31/09 - 10:33 am
I'm extremely happy for that

I'm extremely happy for that information. I still feel bad for the child. I hope that his life is made full of the love that his parents were incapable of providing. Bless you family.

stillamazed
stillamazed 03/31/09 - 11:26 am
She was following a man who

She was following a man who could care less about her or that child.......out for a free buck instead of getting a real job to support his family. And they just keep coming out of the woodwork.

thoga
thoga 03/31/09 - 11:28 am
Of course the talk around the

Of course the talk around the office is that she was such a wonderful mother, and she will get off--she did nothing wrong--HELLO???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 03/31/09 - 11:45 am
Dumb and dumber...poor kid

Dumb and dumber...poor kid

checkitout
checkitout 03/31/09 - 12:52 pm
Time out back up. Some of you

Time out back up. Some of you here do not know this girl nor her family. Shashawna got with the wrong person and mad a lot of mistakes being with him. Her family are really good people and cant help what she did. Shashawna's son is with her family and being very much loved and cared for with out the tax payers help. She will pay for what she did, I know she was scared of Chris and did what ever he told her. That was her being stupid. Dont judge the family for what she did

alliecat953
alliecat953 03/31/09 - 12:53 pm
Let me just say that the

Let me just say that the child will be VERY well taken care of and loved by family members and it will be done without the help of the taxpayers. I would be willing to bet the ones talking about him being raised with the taxpayers dollars are the ones that the tax payers are helping food stamps etc. The child is innocent in all of this but yes he will be very well taken care of and loved!

4gr8kids
4gr8kids 03/31/09 - 01:10 pm
Amen checkitout &

Amen checkitout & alliecat953. I'm glad to see a few people still have compassion!

mable8
mable8 03/31/09 - 01:15 pm
I doubt that this lady was

I doubt that this lady was "afraid" of the perpetrator, checkitout; she went with this man freely and willingly. This makes her an accomplice to a crime and she should pay the price. I am sure that the grandmother will take the baby and care for him; relatives usually do in these type of cases. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter if assistance is provided for the care of the infant by the State; what matters is that the child will be in a safe, loving environment.

shiloh
shiloh 03/31/09 - 02:03 pm
Whether she was afraid or not

Whether she was afraid or not doesn't really matter now does it? I live in Harlem but I don't know the girl but it sounds like a few people posting about her do know her. EVERYBODY MAKES MISTAKES!!!! Don't you think she feels bad enough already? Why is it that every time something happens, somebody thinks that THEY will have to help support them? LEAVE THAT GIRL ALONE!!!! We all have had a problem or 2 and we thank God that everybody don't know about them all! So Mable, you seem to have your own issues don't you? Why don't you tell us about it so we can give you OUR opinion.

shiloh
shiloh 03/31/09 - 02:13 pm
I just read the full story

I just read the full story again and I can honestly say that I do not feel bad for the girl but people need to give her a break and stop ripping her apart! Everybody makes mistakes! ( 2 mistakes when a dude is in the picture)I bet she won't do it again. It takes something severe for some people to change the way they think or to change the company that they keep. I hope her family doesn't have to suffer from it and it sounds like CHECKITOUT and ALLIECAT953 know them. I'LL TAKE YOUR WORD FOR IT AND HOPE EVERYBODY IS FINE!!!

4gr8kids
4gr8kids 03/31/09 - 02:28 pm
You're right SHILOH, everyone

You're right SHILOH, everyone does make mistakes. I really hope that this will completely open her eyes. Shawna is one of
the sweetest people that you will ever meet. She has just gotten involved with the wrong people. She would have never done anything like this on her own...although I know that doesn't change the fact that it happened!

checkitout
checkitout 03/31/09 - 02:32 pm
yes some of knows her and her

yes some of knows her and her family. Like I said she was a good girl until she got mixed up with the wrong person. Yes she had fear of him and what he might do to her and the baby. But no it doesnt make it right she did make a call for help. She called her mom she should have called the law but when you are scared you dont think right. but she will face the judge not the public.

alliecat953
alliecat953 03/31/09 - 02:58 pm
Yes you are right. I know

Yes you are right. I know Shashawna and her family very well. I will be there for the child in every way I can. I know right now he is being very well taken care of. Shashawna did make a mistake and yes she is going to have to pay for it. but how many of ya'll haven't made any mistakes that maybe you just didn't get caught for.

gnx
gnx 03/31/09 - 05:20 pm
I also know some of the

I also know some of the family and they are wonderful people. This is not the usual story most of you would assume and there is no government help involved. Shashawna will pay for her mistake and I'm more than willing to bet she is going to be one of those few who will learn from this mistake. My heart goes out to her family, who are upset enough without all the name calling.

alliecat953
alliecat953 03/31/09 - 07:57 pm
Wow jubalearly did you think

Wow jubalearly did you think of that one all on your own. I am so proud of you. Ha...I am guessing you are the one our tax money is really paying for. Maybe if you don't know the person or the family you just shouldn't post anything here. I really kills me that people are so inconsiderate. I know everyone has an opinon and it is fine to voice it but a lot of what I am reading in here is a bunch of childish stuff.

aj
aj 03/31/09 - 11:58 pm
I'm just happy the baby is

I'm just happy the baby is doing fine. There are guys out there that can controll their girlfriends/wives the way they want. They really don't have to threaten them either. This happened to my cousin and I warned her but it took a good guy to step in to help. She knew he was terrible but always thought it would be different if she would give him another chance, another and another. Now she has a great family.

pinkbaby
pinkbaby 04/27/09 - 07:00 pm
its so funny how everyone

its so funny how everyone wants to talk trash on here and they dont even know anything but what the media is saying.. you know they also want to act like no one is getting hurt in the war! let me just tell you to take a trip to walter reed. you will see men and women missing arms, legs, deformed faces. so yeah everyone trust the media they always put the WHOLE truth out there. go ahead talk a mess that you do not know nothing about.....
just to let everyone know..( to those thinking their tax money is raising a poor child) that baby.. who has a name!!! CJ is living it up right now prob better then anyone who is posting all this trash! he is with family that loves the mess out of him, and no way in hell would he be put into the system!by the way it is with the mothers family's money! with no help from anyone else. so with that said i will let yall continue your trash talk because i know that is what makes everyones day go by. the joy that people get from putting others down.

pinkbaby
pinkbaby 04/27/09 - 07:14 pm
to everyone saying her name

to everyone saying her name says it all.. sounds like you need to do some homework, because her name means trompet of God! yeah and one more thing.. to bad grovetown doesnt want to tell the whole story! it will all come out in court. but i bet if i asked on here who has been done wrong from grovetown i could get alot of hands raised! Grovetown is just trying to charge someone because they new when and where he was and did NOTHING!!!! one more story of small town crooked cops trying to save their own behinds! i am sure shashawna is not their only victim... and to those saying she was not afraid.. let a man shoot up a house, hop in the car, and say drive to you.. and then tell me she was not afraid! i dont care if it was my dad, my boyfriend, or my pastor i am gonna be terrified and drive! esp. when i have my child with me! thank God for good mothers like her that drove so that she would know her baby was ok. b/c Cj could be on the run right now if she wouldnt have went. maybe the dad could have robbed a store for diapers! what was she thinking making sure her child was being taken care of. i tell the mothers these days.. with crazy names like shashawna! what is the world coming to!

Tots
Tots 04/27/09 - 08:24 pm
This is just sad how this

This is just sad how this mistake the girl made will be left on her parents to handle.Young people dont care they only live for themselves.Yes I'm sure shes sorry now.Hope her family has support .

Augustapaperdoll
Augustapaperdoll 04/28/09 - 06:55 am
Grovetown Police Department

Grovetown Police Department does take it to the extreme. You can sell drugs in Groveotwn and never go to jail, but have a tail light out.....You're going down.........................

Peace2
Peace2 04/30/09 - 09:26 pm
Why didn't the Grovetown

Why didn't the Grovetown Police Department help this mother and her baby when they were called for help? Their excuse, they didn't want to waste their time. Now they charge this young mother for protecting her child. Yes, she is paying a big price for not getting out of that car but she protected that little baby. Thank God! I'm a mother. I know that mother's love their children more than they do themselves and will give their lives for them. It was a decision that she had to make to keep her child safe. Shame on Grovetown Police Department!!! Aren't you supposed to protect and serve the citizens?

Peace2
Peace2 04/30/09 - 09:39 pm
I was a victim of domestic

I was a victim of domestic violence 25 years ago. When i called the police for help they told me it was none of their concern. The police department told me that if I called for help again, they would arrest me. Sounds like the Grovetown Police Department needs a little education on Domestic Violence. I hoped that awareness and assistance to victims had changed in 25 years. Not in Grovetown. It's too bad for all you ladies needing protection from these perpetrators. Don't call Grovetown Police, they'll lock you up. Call you local domestic violence shelter for guidance.

corgimom
corgimom 04/30/09 - 09:53 pm
Did someone force Shashawna

Did someone force Shashawna to be with this man? She is responsible for choosing him, and she is going to have to live with her mistakes. She's 27, not 14. I am sick of women saying "I'm in terrible trouble, and it's all my boyfriend's fault."

Peace2
Peace2 04/30/09 - 10:05 pm
It sounds like more than the

It sounds like more than the Grovetown Police Department need some education on domestic violence.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/01/09 - 06:44 am
Another Liberal attitude,

Another Liberal attitude, what about the people that were robbed?

Peace2
Peace2 05/02/09 - 03:19 pm
To Liberate means to set

To Liberate means to set free. When women escape violent relationships they are set free. Education helps them to become liberated. Men who abuse women don't like us liberated women because we can't be controlled. I guess Milton has some issues with women being strong and independent. As for the people who were allegedly robbed, I feel terrible for them. But this woman didn't do it. The guy did it and Shawna and her baby were victims also. She Protected her child and did what any loving mother would do whether she is the victim of domestic violence or not. Mothers protect their children. She did the right thing and saved her baby. I know that upsets you Milton because she is now in control of her and her babies lives and the MAN is not in charge any more!!!! By the way Milton, do you work for the Grovetown Police?