Woman, son face charges in killing

A Columbia County man is charged with murder, and his mother with murder conspiracy, in the fatal beating of a neighbor, who was also the mother's co-worker.

Christopher Sean Bowers, 19, and Rebecca Bowers Sears, 41, were arrested late Friday in the death of Laverne Katherine Parsons, 41, said Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris. Authorities added a murder charge against Mr. Bowers on Saturday, Capt. Morris said.

He said no more arrests were expected.

Mrs. Parsons, of 229 Hot Springs Drive, was found beaten in her home Wednesday morning and died the next day. Authorities said it appeared she had interrupted a burglary. A coroner's report indicates she suffered severe head injuries from a hammer and a baseball bat found at the scene.

Capt. Morris said search warrants had been executed at the residences of Ms. Sears, of 227 Hot Springs Drive, and Mr. Bowers, of 4086 Briarwood Drive. Ms. Sears' vehicle was seized. Police also obtained a search warrant for Ms. Sears' Augusta workplace, Healing Hands Physical Therapy Center on Highland Avenue. Ms. Parsons had worked at the Thomson location of the therapy center, according to the company's Web site.

Capt. Morris said he would not discuss a motive for the attack or what led to the arrests.

He said Mr. Bowers had a police record and had been charged in May with marijuana possession, driving under the influence of drugs and other traffic-related offenses.

He would not discuss an incident Thursday night during which Ms. Sears told a Richmond County sheriff's investigator that she was shot in the leg by a man who surprised, then threatened her outside her workplace. Capt. Morris said it was "a reasonable assumption" that the shooting was meant to distract police.

He confirmed that Ms. Sears visited Mrs. Parsons on Wednesday at Medical College of Georgia Hospital, although he would not say whether Mrs. Parsons was conscious at the time.

Ms. Sears and Mr. Bowers were present when deputies reached the Parsons home Wednesday morning after a contractor found a smashed-in French door, Capt. Morris said.

Ms. Sears followed a deputy inside the house, but was escorted out when the deputy saw blood on a couch and living room rug, according to a police incident report.

Ms. Sears told deputies her home had also been broken into. Police said that they found her house ransacked but that there was no sign of forced entry, nor did they have a list of anything missing.

Reach Donnie Fetter or Jenna Martin at 868-1222 or ccchron@augustachronicle.com.

What's next?

Authorities say Christopher Bowers' mother, Rebecca Sears, could also face a murder charge.

carolinagirl1970
carolinagirl1970 03/29/09 - 01:33 am
You can't trust nobody not

You can't trust nobody not even your neighbor's they need to lock the mother and son up throw the key away. My prayers are with the other lady's family.

katiecaroline
katiecaroline 03/29/09 - 02:41 am
How horrible and how

How horrible and how senseless this murder is. May Bowers receive the death penalty and have his mother inflict death upon him the way he killed Mrs. Parsons ... and if the death penalty can be used on Sears, may she suffer the same kind of death. I know this sounds cruel, but how can anyone be such horrible human beings to another person? May God's mercy be with the Parsons family and this community as we come to grips with this tragedy.

For just cause
For just cause 03/29/09 - 02:52 am
Two creepy people!!!

Two creepy people!!!

APiratesLife4Me
APiratesLife4Me 03/29/09 - 03:22 am
I hope they receive a speedy

I hope they receive a speedy trial and a prompt but miserable death.

fandango
fandango 03/29/09 - 03:37 am
they need to recieve what

they need to recieve what they gave ,... god bless the poor soul they attacked !

aj
aj 03/29/09 - 06:58 am
I'm happy they figured it out

I'm happy they figured it out quickly. Pathetic, low life people. Was it intentional? If not, how did the mom know? If the mom knew after the fact, she should have turned his sorry [filtered word] in. Now she's along for the ride. Good ridens to bad rubbish. They should be beaten, I say an eye for an eye. "God bless the family and friends that lost their mother/wife/daughter/aunt and friend, my prayers go out to them."

Motorman5039
Motorman5039 03/29/09 - 07:00 am
Remember my comments

Remember my comments yesterday; I hate to say I told you so but I TOLD YOU PEOPLE SO!!! Yesterday we had people getting all off topic and getting on race, which was really dissapointing...

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/29/09 - 07:31 am
This seems to be a steamy and

This seems to be a steamy and convoluted situation that led to the death and attempted cover-up. I hope the police are able to discover (and reveal) the details of what happened. (Nobody needs to remember my posts from yesterday.)

christian134
christian134 03/29/09 - 07:32 am
This is the desensitized

This is the desensitized behavior that our youth will continue to exhibit if the morals of this nation are not reversed...Look what they have as roll models for crying out loud...My prayers to the ones left behind as well as asking God to have mercy on the ones who committed this horrific act since my hopes is that the justice system will have no mercy whatsoever when it comes to their earthly punishment....

Ih8cc
Ih8cc 03/29/09 - 07:42 am
See, people in columbia

See, people in columbia county really don't walk on water!!!!!!!!! But I'll bet they all still think they do.

Boston93
Boston93 03/29/09 - 07:47 am
Some things are awfully

Some things are awfully simple and some things are SIMPLY AWFUL. This falls in th latter category. My prayers are with the Parson family.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 03/29/09 - 07:54 am
If proven Guilty I have a big

If proven Guilty I have a big oak tree in my front yard that Columbia County can use for free, I will even supply the horse and rope at no charge.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 03/29/09 - 07:59 am
If proven Guilty I have a big

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 03/29/09 - 08:01 am
Nobody said that people in

Nobody said that people in Columbia County walk on water. That being said, there are A LOT less murders in CC than in Richmond County, or ever Aiken County.

Ih8cc
Ih8cc 03/29/09 - 08:03 am
Does any one know which one

Does any one know which one of the fine Columbia County Schools that kid attended?

AreUSerious
AreUSerious 03/29/09 - 08:03 am
oh my god look at the crime

oh my god look at the crime in columbia county...now you can take the heat off south augusta....to the speechless one's who think columbiia county is safe..where are they now?

asustudent8824
asustudent8824 03/29/09 - 08:03 am
How did they think they would

How did they think they would get away with such a crime? Milton I so agree with you. Eye for an eye tooth for a tooth.

redapples
redapples 03/29/09 - 08:03 am
lh8cc, walking on water has

lh8cc, walking on water has nothing to do with this senseless loss of a life! Take your "issues" to the proper forum. This one is not it!! May peace and comfort be with the family of Mrs. Parsons!

asustudent8824
asustudent8824 03/29/09 - 08:09 am
ih8cc and are you serious.

ih8cc and are you serious. Crime is everywhere in this WORLD and it is only getting worse in the US. ih8cc I really do not see where one went to high school matters what ONE person decides to do in with THEIR life. We need to stick to the story and the lives that were lost. Once again on this site people lose track on the issues.

BakersfieldCityLimits
BakersfieldCityLimits 03/29/09 - 08:11 am
I think that the Rev. J

I think that the Rev. J Wright said it best when he preached " America's Chickens are comming home to roost. " Now is the time to pray for the family of Ms. Parsons.

Augustapaperdoll
Augustapaperdoll 03/29/09 - 08:13 am
Theres crime everywhere.

Theres crime everywhere. Richmond county just puts up. CC Sheriffs Dept doesnt play.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 03/29/09 - 08:13 am
I like my neighbors very much

I like my neighbors very much but they are not my buddies and I don't have them all up in my business and all over my house. Strangers do not need to see your things and where and how you keep them. One can be friendly and neighborly but in my opinion "Familiarity breeds contempt".

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 03/29/09 - 08:22 am
Why is it always us against

Why is it always us against them? The Columbia county Sheriff department is no better than the Richmond County Sheriff department. They both do excellent jobs considering the population and area that they have to patrol.

AreUSerious
AreUSerious 03/29/09 - 08:25 am
asustudent8824-you must not

asustudent8824-you must not read the rant & rave site very often..because those ppl who comment there are very racist and always talk about how well CC is and i'm just pointing out it does happen in CC and everywhere else...so stop excluding CC out like crime don't don't happen in CC....really CC don't harass ppl like richmond do if they did they would find out drugs are worse there then richmond county.. they just don't wanna make CC look bad they want ppl to think it's a great place to stay when in fact big drugs and big drug dealer live out there because they don't harass ppl..FIRST 48 HOURS WE NEED YOU ON THIS CASE.

rcac6472
rcac6472 03/29/09 - 08:26 am
ih8cc I live in CC and I

ih8cc I live in CC and I walked on water yesterday while it was raining.You're a friggin retard.

GI_JANE532
GI_JANE532 03/29/09 - 08:28 am
I have a response to

I have a response to ih8cc.....HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT THE FINE PARENTS THAT RAISED THIS YOUNG MAN?????!!!!!! It's not about community or county or school...obviously his parent or parents are warped as well........

411Citizen
411Citizen 03/29/09 - 08:35 am
I think his grandparents live

I think his grandparents live in Richmond County. THAT EXPLAINS HIS GENES!..Kinda tired of walking, gotta get off the WATER and get my boat.

tdp
tdp 03/29/09 - 08:42 am
They are both a waste of

They are both a waste of space and air. Let's give them a speedy trial and an even speedier execution!!!

rcac6472
rcac6472 03/29/09 - 08:45 am
You know whats sad?The

You know whats sad?The parsons were and are close friends of ours and all I have read in these blogs (on all of the stories) is a pathetic comparison of counties,schools,and CC people vs RC people.So ih8cc if you need to evade the real issue here about a wife,mother being senselessly murdered and try to put down CC let me tell you STRAIGHT UP,I (we CC) dont think we are better than you WE KNOW IT!!! why dont you do something worth while go check the air pressure in your single wide tires you LOSER!! yea I'm [filtered word].

mommy22girls
mommy22girls 03/29/09 - 08:46 am
It sounds to me that some of

It sounds to me that some of you are happy of this murder just to prove Columbia County is not perfect! My God a innocent woman with a small child and husband was brutally murdered in her home, the same home that her child has to go back in and have nightmares of what may have happened there. Instead of getting into a "who's better" argument pray for the family. I believe I read yesterday that a good friend of the victim posting, so now instead of coming here to read condolences, which she should be able to, she has to come in here and get the same thing I got by reading the post...shame. Those of you doing it, Columbia County, Richmond County, Aiken County, South Augusta, or even from Purple Land, who gives a flip where you are from we should be able to come together as a whole community and offer this family our condolences and it goes for the same with the 13yo in South Augusta who was shot, who care where they are from, amount of money, or race....errrr....