Police find no link between crimes

Police investigating a fatal beating in Columbia County said Friday they haven't connected it to the shooting of the victim's neighbor Thursday night in Richmond County.

Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said he knows of no link between the two crimes.

"We have been in contact with Richmond County authorities concerning that matter, but there's no evidence to suggest a link," he said.

Richmond County investigators said Rebecca Sears, 41, was shot in the leg late Thursday outside the Healing Hands Physical Therapy Center on Highland Avenue, where she works.

The day before, Ms. Sears' neighbor Laverne Parsons, also 41 and a Healing Hands employee, was brutally beaten in her home. She died Thursday from those injuries.

Ms. Sears lived at 227 Hot Springs Drive in Columbia County's Orchard Hill subdivision. Mrs. Parsons lived at 229 Hots Springs Drive.

Both women were pictured on the company's Web site, which was taken down Friday afternoon. Both locations of Healing Hands in Augusta and Thomson were also closed and phone messages were not returned.

Mrs. Parsons died Thursday afternoon, and Ms. Sears was shot about six hours later.

Ms. Sears told investigators she was walking to her vehicle when a man she did not know appeared from the rear of the building and brandished a pistol.

She said she turned to go back inside when a gunshot grazed both legs.

Ms. Sears told police the man said if she "didn't have his money it would be her face."

He then ran toward a wooded area. Police found a .22-caliber shell casing at the scene, according to the sheriff's office report.

Mrs. Parsons is believed to have been attacked at her home in Columbia County about 9 a.m. Wednesday after return- ing home from dropping her son off at school.

The homes of both women on Hot Springs Drive appeared to have been broken into, and police said Thursday they believe Mrs. Parsons had interrupted a burglary.

An autopsy conducted at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Atlanta confirmed Friday that Mrs. Parsons died of blunt force head trauma, Columbia County Deputy Coroner Harriett Garrison said.

Both Columbia and Richmond county sheriff's offices are working together on her homicide, Capt. Morris said.

Reach Donnie Fetter and Adam Folk at (706) 724-0851.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 03/28/09 - 11:22 am
Give it 72 hours.....this

Give it 72 hours.....this thing is going to blow bigger than hell.....anybody ever watch the show 48 hours? This is just the type of thing that thay would love to have as show fodder. This is going to knock Augusta on it's ear.

toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 11:22 am
I don't think it had to do

I don't think it had to do with drugs UNLESS there was a promise of drugs after the murder.

fequent walker
fequent walker 03/28/09 - 11:23 am
Both have been offically

Both have been offically charged with murder. Check the CCSO site also the television station are report a news conference this afternoon from CCSO.

BamaMan
BamaMan 03/28/09 - 11:25 am
No, I don't know if there was

No, I don't know if there was an affair, don't know if there were drugs involved. But most crime these days do involve drugs. READ THE PAPER.

toppergem
toppergem 03/28/09 - 11:26 am
breaking news.... go to

breaking news.... go to WRDW.com for the latest in this story

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 11:26 am
halfpint my point exactly. To

halfpint my point exactly. To kill somebody with a bat. That is a very deep and personal killing. Somebody who is mad that their husband is cheating with Ms. Parson. Sounds like something the devil can use to influence the heart.

Signal Always
Signal Always 03/28/09 - 11:29 am
The CCSO releases what it

The CCSO releases what it feels won't jeopardize the case, snickers. They're not going to "twitter" you on every lead they have. When it comes to solving a crime, informing the public runs secondary to solving the crime.

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 11:30 am
I think we all can see. That

I think we all can see. That Ms. Parson didn't walk in on a burglary. But she walked in on a son. Who's mother found out Ms. Parson was cheating with her husband.

BamaMan
BamaMan 03/28/09 - 11:31 am
snickers, I'm sure Columbia

snickers, I'm sure Columbia County knew they were related early on. Why would they want the world to know? It's their JOB to solve crimes, and you can't tell everything you know and do that job like you should. They didn't get where they are, being stupid.

toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 11:31 am
I don't know the facts

I don't know the facts either-just piecing it together like everyone else-we're all being sherlock- and I think its because it involves kids, which is pretty disturbing -but to have a mother & son involved is just mind boggling.

toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 11:34 am
signal; twitter-crack me up-

signal; twitter-crack me up- you're right though-the cops aren't going to divulge things and may indeed use a headline to make the perps feel a little laxadaisy. Its great they weren't dealing with any "materminds"

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 03/28/09 - 11:35 am
You are exactly correct

You are exactly correct signal and bamaman...looks like snickers may be the one a little on the slow side not CC. lol

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 11:36 am
Really I only feel sorry for

Really I only feel sorry for Mr. Parsons now. Ms. Parsons didn't deserve to die. But you should always know. That the person you are cheating with. When their spouse finds out they will come after you 9 out of 10 times. Where is Mr. Sears he is partly to blame too. For cheating on his wife, what happen to Ms. Parson, and making Ms. Sears emotionally unstable.

toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 11:36 am
dell: Why get a kid involved

dell: Why get a kid involved much less your own son- if it was his dad doing the cheating as well- why not confront him?

toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 11:38 am
clemson me too and proabbaly

clemson me too and proabbaly everyone out there- hell I checked my weapon when I got home that night just to be sure- flying solo over here.

59Trumpet
59Trumpet 03/28/09 - 11:38 am
Go to this link below and put

Go to this link below and put in Sears then go back and put in Bowers.you can see pictures of mother and son and short details.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 03/28/09 - 11:39 am
I agree clemson. It was

I agree clemson. It was really scarey thinking there was a random murderer on the loose.

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 11:41 am
halfpint because that makes

halfpint because that makes too much sense. Have you ever watched the show cheater's. When women find out their husband or boyfriend are cheating. Who do the women normally go after. The husband or boyfriend. Or do they go after the girl he is cheating with first.

Rose
Rose 03/28/09 - 11:42 am
About 6 yrs ago a family

About 6 yrs ago a family member had physical therapy there. I went with him twice, and I had an uneasy feeling about the office staff. I won't go into details on here. Then about 3 yrs ago when I had to have physical therapy, I chose another place.

BamaMan
BamaMan 03/28/09 - 11:44 am
Some of you are so sure there

Some of you are so sure there was an affair going on. Maybe it was, time will tell. I just don't think so for some reason. Because the Sears lady seems to have made up the story of being shot and house being burglarized, I think she is covering up for someone else, I just do. If she wanted to kill that lady, she could have just done it. Why cook up a story of HER getting attacked, except for a diversion? If her kid did attack Mrs. Parsons, she may be trying to cover up for her son. The WRDW page said the son was recently charged with DUI and drugs. I just think maybe him and someone else were stealing for their habit, and mama tried to cover it up. What's alittle scratch on the leg to keep your son from going to jail?

Signal Always
Signal Always 03/28/09 - 11:49 am
I agree Bama. There is

I agree Bama. There is NOTHING that says there was an affair going on. All of that is conjecture at this point. As for it being random or not being random, is Mrs. Parsons any less dead? Does it matter? Sure, if you're thinking about your own safety, but in this case, I think it's pretty irrelevant. In any case, if these two are found guilty, I'd take the required amperage needed to kill someone and double that ****.

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 11:50 am
bamaman if it wasn't a

bamaman if it wasn't a affair. Why would she get her 19 year old son to kill. Another woman with a baseball bat.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 03/28/09 - 11:50 am
Someone on here says they

Someone on here says they heard it was because of an affair and you all run with it? What a bunch of lemmings.

Signal Always
Signal Always 03/28/09 - 11:51 am
BTW AC, don'tcha thank it's

BTW AC, don'tcha thank it's about time to headline this news?

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 11:51 am
I look at the pictures. And

I look at the pictures. And the mom and son do look like drug users. Probably crack, meth, coke, and heroin. But why else would you kill your next door neighbor.

snickers123
snickers123 03/28/09 - 11:58 am
There was nothing wrong with

There was nothing wrong with them saying that the two were related.It would of done no harm.It was common sense.Even other people commented about it.I'm just glad that they are caught!!

toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 12:03 pm
Mom looks pretty [filtered word] off

Mom looks pretty [filtered word] off in the picture. this type of crime-so vicious- is a passion crime- its takes a great deal of physicl strength and some type of mental detachment to beat someone to death.

toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 12:05 pm
Mr. Parson and his son are

Mr. Parson and his son are the true victims here, if in fact an affair was going on. I don't think it was random 'bad neighbor" situation.

workingmom
workingmom 03/28/09 - 12:14 pm
How has our society reached

How has our society reached the point of such failure to where anyone thinks he/she has the right to bludgeon someone to death, no matter WHAT the reason? We must begin holding young people accountable for their actions early in life. Even then, I'm afraid we may be too late to prevent such horrible crimes as this from continuing to happen.

toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 12:29 pm
workingmom: so right-it

workingmom: so right-it doesn't help having a mother confide in her son about the indsicretions of the husband. If the mother committed the murder is one thing-but to involve a kid? Special place in hell waiting for her.