Police find no link between crimes

Police investigating a fatal beating in Columbia County said Friday they haven't connected it to the shooting of the victim's neighbor Thursday night in Richmond County.

Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said he knows of no link between the two crimes.

"We have been in contact with Richmond County authorities concerning that matter, but there's no evidence to suggest a link," he said.

Richmond County investigators said Rebecca Sears, 41, was shot in the leg late Thursday outside the Healing Hands Physical Therapy Center on Highland Avenue, where she works.

The day before, Ms. Sears' neighbor Laverne Parsons, also 41 and a Healing Hands employee, was brutally beaten in her home. She died Thursday from those injuries.

Ms. Sears lived at 227 Hot Springs Drive in Columbia County's Orchard Hill subdivision. Mrs. Parsons lived at 229 Hots Springs Drive.

Both women were pictured on the company's Web site, which was taken down Friday afternoon. Both locations of Healing Hands in Augusta and Thomson were also closed and phone messages were not returned.

Mrs. Parsons died Thursday afternoon, and Ms. Sears was shot about six hours later.

Ms. Sears told investigators she was walking to her vehicle when a man she did not know appeared from the rear of the building and brandished a pistol.

She said she turned to go back inside when a gunshot grazed both legs.

Ms. Sears told police the man said if she "didn't have his money it would be her face."

He then ran toward a wooded area. Police found a .22-caliber shell casing at the scene, according to the sheriff's office report.

Mrs. Parsons is believed to have been attacked at her home in Columbia County about 9 a.m. Wednesday after return- ing home from dropping her son off at school.

The homes of both women on Hot Springs Drive appeared to have been broken into, and police said Thursday they believe Mrs. Parsons had interrupted a burglary.

An autopsy conducted at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Atlanta confirmed Friday that Mrs. Parsons died of blunt force head trauma, Columbia County Deputy Coroner Harriett Garrison said.

Both Columbia and Richmond county sheriff's offices are working together on her homicide, Capt. Morris said.

Reach Donnie Fetter and Adam Folk at (706) 724-0851.

toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 10:32 am
DS: I think he and his son

DS: I think he and his son are the only innocents in this situation- so sad for them. Ms. Sears needs to be stoned in the streets- to get your son involved- there is aspecial place in hell for these type of people.

toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 10:34 am
Holy crap- he is defending

Holy crap- he is defending our country and she is plotting murders- the sadness is not stopping is it?

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 10:41 am
Wow i truly feel sorry for

Wow i truly feel sorry for Ms. Parson. But she shouldn't have been having sex with a married man Mr. Sears. Was Ms. Parson married too. Or does she just have a child.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/28/09 - 10:42 am
Please! You don't know that

Please! You don't know that anyone was plotting anything. Aren't these families going through enough? And if only self-interest motivates some posters, do you understand online posters CAN be sued for libel? Would you be so kind to leave your rushes to judgment for private conversation? This investigation is only in the beginning stages, even though there is enough evidence to charge people. Innocent until PROVEN guilty remember? Even then, the system is not infallible. How many times do we have to be reminded of that? Let the investigators do their jobs and the courts take it from there. When we start assigning motives to people we don't know and situations that we don't have all the facts about, we are going too far!

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 10:44 am
I blame it on pop music. Lol

I blame it on pop music. Lol its the culture.

BamaMan
BamaMan 03/28/09 - 10:45 am
deliguy, you don't know IF

deliguy, you don't know IF anyone was having sex with someone's husband! Think you have it all figured out, don't you? Just you wait - kids and drugs are behind this I'm sure. Like I said the other day, you need to be blocked from posting. Kids tend to sing like birds when they get in trouble. I think they have just scraped the surface of this mess.

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 10:50 am
Bamama kids and drugs are

Bamama kids and drugs are behind this. But its because a mother who was probably on coke, heroin, meth, or crack. Told her 19 year old kid to kill another person.

Newsreader
Newsreader 03/28/09 - 10:52 am
Maybe the Chronicle will get

Maybe the Chronicle will get this story update posted soon. It seems they are getting what they are paying for after the pay cuts.

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 10:53 am
Bamaman if Ms. Parsons wasn't

Bamaman if Ms. Parsons wasn't having sex with Mr. Sears. Why would Ms. Sears put her life and career at risk along with her son. To make somebody use their child to kill somebody. It has to be a deep reason. Sleeping with a married man sounds about right.

Signal Always
Signal Always 03/28/09 - 10:53 am
toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 10:54 am
C'mon baroness I know that

C'mon baroness I know that they wouldn't have arrested BOTH without some degree of certainty of the crime committed. this wasn't a spur of the moment passion crime- this was a thought out crime-on one of their parts, beating/break in, shooting of the neighbor, rumors of infidelity, both husbands out of town, first day at home after working in the same workplace.... the dots are too close together to ignore.

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 10:55 am
The apple doesn't fall far

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The two thugs mother and son should be given life in prison. Like mother like son. I hope Mr. Sears is not of the same mold. This is like watching the jerry springer show. Instead of white ppl in the trailer parks its white ppl in the suburbs.

Signal Always
Signal Always 03/28/09 - 10:56 am
They didn't work at the same

They didn't work at the same location. If they're found guilty, both should be executed.

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 10:57 am
I wonder what high school Ms.

I wonder what high school Ms. Sears son went or was going to. I remember when I said Evans high. How some poster's became very defensive. Lol it seems i was right.

BamaMan
BamaMan 03/28/09 - 10:59 am
Wonder how we can see if

Wonder how we can see if these two have any previous stuff?

momof2
momof2 03/28/09 - 11:00 am
The school that he went to

The school that he went to has nothing to do with any of this! It was obviously his mother that created him, not any school.

BamaMan
BamaMan 03/28/09 - 11:01 am
deliguy, what are you talking

deliguy, what are you talking about, "these 2 thugs mother and daughter should be arrested?

toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 11:03 am
Bama: public records on the

Bama: public records on the Columbia county Sheriff's website i think would reflect it. I know you can do a search on most police websites.

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 11:04 am
Evans high has its share of

Evans high has its share of thugs. Thats what I was trying to say earlier. But some poster's tried to act like I didn't know what I was talking about.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 03/28/09 - 11:04 am
Thanks for the link. AC needs

Thanks for the link. AC needs to catch up!!! Hubby and I were discussing that possibility last night, either that or they were into drugs and owed money or infidelity. Can't wait to see the motive for such a horrible crime. What a couple of [filtered word]'s!!!!!!! They need to leaveBowers alone with Mr Parsons for a little while!!!!!!!!

BamaMan
BamaMan 03/28/09 - 11:04 am
I wonder if the Sears lady

I wonder if the Sears lady even got shot?

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 11:06 am
Mother and son should be give

Mother and son should be give the death penalty. Since they want to be apart of the thug culture. Let Ms. Sears become somebodys girlfriend in prison. And let the 19- year old son become bubba's boyfriend in prison.

howdie
howdie 03/28/09 - 11:08 am
Bamaman and the Chronicle are

Bamaman and the Chronicle are slow on the uptake

toldya
toldya 03/28/09 - 11:11 am
Bama: i agree the whole

Bama: i agree the whole burglary was a crock cover up as well- I think that the son was coercd by his mother. Sears screwed up with the "shooting" theory, which apparently she thought would "throw" the cops off. If someone approaches you, you would be able to givethem a better description than 25-55. She's not very bright is she?

ADawgFan
ADawgFan 03/28/09 - 11:11 am
My prediction.....there will

My prediction.....there will be a huge connection between these two cases!! Mark my word.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/28/09 - 11:14 am
Certainly looks like there

Certainly looks like there was a connection in spite of the headline. Next, I'd look into drugs at the physical therapy clinic if I were the CCSO.

dellguy1
dellguy1 03/28/09 - 11:14 am
Bamaman even if they were on

Bamaman even if they were on drugs. Ms Sears and her son which they probably were. Drugs don't make you kill people. When I was younger in my teenage days. And tried weed it made me giggly and hungry. It didn't make me want to kill people. And crack, heroin, and meth heads. Don't have the energy or power to kill people. They just want to get high. You don't see to many coke heads killing ppl either.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 03/28/09 - 11:14 am
Sorry but I had to just point

Sorry but I had to just point out, bamaman why are you jumping on people for speculating about affairs when you are speculating about drugs?? wth??? can we say hypocrite??? Do you know something we don't?

thrashersfan1984
thrashersfan1984 03/28/09 - 11:17 am
bamaman i think there still

bamaman i think there still may be more to it but i think it was because of an affair. ms. sears is obviously unstable but i still think she and her son would have needed a very personal reason to kill someone the way they did. true some people on pcp do things like this for no reason but they dont seem like the type to me. i dont think ms. sears is some violent suburban drug kingpin is what i am saying.

iam4him
iam4him 03/28/09 - 11:20 am
I think it was drug related

I think it was drug related or related to incidents at the work place, the mom is also facing conspiracy to commit murder charges and may be upgraded to murder