Hephzibah teen dies in shooting

Two Hephzibah teenagers were arrested Thursday after one fatally shot his 13-year-old friend while handling a firearm, police say.

Raekwon Rhodes, of the 2400 block of Hampshire Crossing, was passing a loaded handgun back to one of the suspects when it fired, striking him in the neck, according to Richmond County Sheriff's Sgt. Blaise Dresser. The victim ran to a neighbor's home with the two suspects -- 16-year-old and 13-year-old brothers -- to use the phone, Sgt. Dresser said. He died shortly after 3 p.m.

Police are investigating whether the gun was stolen by the youths, who authorities have charged with burglary in a home break-in on Carpenter Avenue earlier this month.

Authorities aren't releasing the suspects' names because of their ages, but they said the 13-year-old had been taken to the Richmond County Youth Detention Center and faced involuntary manslaughter, burglary and stolen firearm charges. His brother was released to his parents after being charged with burglary, Sgt. Dresser said.

Police have also arrested Martavias Marquis Nelson, 18, of the 4300 block of Saxon Drive, on a charge of theft by receiving a stolen firearm, jail committals show. The three teens ran to Mr. Nelson's home after the shooting, and police found a stolen firearm in his home.

Sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles said the victim wasn't involved in the break-ins. His body has been transported to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's Crime Lab in Atlanta for an autopsy.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

Bing0
Bing0 03/27/09 - 02:41 am
So very very sad. Sad on so

So very very sad. Sad on so many levels.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 03/27/09 - 06:40 am
For you all who don't happen

For you all who don't happen to know this: 1. "All guns are always loaded". 2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. 3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target. 4. Always be sure of your target. If people will follow these guides no one will ever die from a gunshot by accident. it was a kid here but more adults dies from firearm accidents than kids. Firearm's is my area of expertise, I been shooting competetion since I was 10 years old & have been shooting firearms since I was 5 & I'm 52 Now..Yea, I'm old that's a long time.

andywarhol
andywarhol 03/27/09 - 06:45 am
Sad. With the stolen guns,

Sad. With the stolen guns, robberies and all I have to ask, "what kind of kids are these?" Where are the parents? These don't really sound like they are good boys. Unfortunately a 13 year old doesn't just turn bad. Someone is responsible for the decisions he and his brother made.

andywarhol
andywarhol 03/27/09 - 06:46 am
PNC, I too had access to guns

PNC, I too had access to guns since I was 10-13 years old. Heck, at 13 I was hunting alone with a 12ga. I'm only 29.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 03/27/09 - 06:47 am
Some people say guns cause

Some people say guns cause crime, well I have 2... 1000lb. firearm safes that are full of firearms. To this date not one firearm has escaped. None have ever sliped out & commited a crime or shot a human being.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 03/27/09 - 06:50 am
andywarhol ...that's cool

andywarhol ...that's cool cause my cousin & I were hunting alone by 12 or 13. Not one of us was ever hurt & we never robbed or shot anyone. People would want you arrested today if you let a kid go hunting alone. My my how things have changed & NOT for the better :(

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 03/27/09 - 06:53 am
andywarhol ...people today

andywarhol ...people today can't see to grasp the idea that gun's are safe it's the people you have to worry about.

justus4
justus4 03/27/09 - 07:00 am
The Second Amendment bunch

The Second Amendment bunch should take note, because this kind of act is going to continue. When it visits your home, will your ideology carry the day?

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 03/27/09 - 07:01 am
People can't seem to

People can't seem to understand that disipline in the old days was effective. If I done anything bad, My Daddy would make sure my butt paid for it IN FULL & then some. My Daddy loved me & I him but I was scared of him..WELL not him but what he would do to me..scared me & that kept me in line. Today kids are not scared of anything or anybody & that leads to trouble. FEAR to a degree is a good thing in everyone's life. Kids today know if you hit them with a belt they can have you arrested...not for the better.

andywarhol
andywarhol 03/27/09 - 07:07 am
justus, no one expects your

justus, no one expects your warped mind to understand what a "normal" family life is. I can promise you 100% that will not happen in my home. The only firearm that will go off inside my home will be if I catch some idiot breaking in or already inside. How about we take the guns away and let the beatings continue.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 03/27/09 - 07:08 am
If a kid dies from a parents

If a kid dies from a parents weapon the parents are at fault for not haveing them in a safe. My safes weigh 1000 lbs. empty & are fireproof up to 2000 degrees foe an hour. You can't break into them without a cutting torch & about an hour of labor. Firearms are dangerous in untrained hands just as a car is, More kids die in auto wrecks than by guns, many, many more. Should parents feel guilty when their child dies in the car them gave them?

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 03/27/09 - 07:19 am
We all know some people think

We all know some people think we don't need Guns. If we don't need them? Cop's don't need them. We come in contact with criminal everyday & if an unarmed citizen gets robbed? Calling a cop doesn't help the criminal is gone. Without a firearm one is helpless against a criminal with one. It would be a great country if we all got the security like Prez. Obama has. We would not need a firearm with that kind of security. It is simple Someone unarmed has NO CHANCE against an armed criminal. Why would anyone choose to NOT protect their own family? If you don't protect them NO ONE will. Anyone who would choose to not train & learn how to protect your family with a firearm does not love them enough to do their best to protect them. What A foolish decision for anyone to choose. I love my family so much that I will take Whatever legal means neccessary to insure their safety.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/27/09 - 07:22 am
justus4, I know you can't see

justus4, I know you can't see these words, no lefty can. Responsible behavior prevents this kind of incident. Irresponsible behavior precipitates it. So much positive and negative in life boils down to the "R" word.

gdaddy
gdaddy 03/27/09 - 07:28 am
just4us it's thugs like

just4us it's thugs like that,that were raise (or not) by incompetent parents that deserve what they get.If you rob,steal,or kill you deserve what you get. The gun that was STOLEN was in the safety of the owners home until these idiots stole it.When raising my kids I knew where they were at ,at all times.YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW. hooray for justice one thug in the making gone!

ripjones
ripjones 03/27/09 - 07:37 am
Justus -- I don't even know

Justus -- I don't even know where to begin. First of all, what are teenagers doing with a gun to begin with -- probably no good. We also now find that it was probably stolen. Should I be surprised? While I don't have them in a gun safe, all three of my guns are NOT stolen, ARE registered, and so am I. My first gun, a rifle, was given to me when I was 12 also. The problem here, was that they had a probable stolen gun, with no adult supervision. There is the problem. My Dad would take my brother and I shooting @ the County Firing Range. Three possible future criminals off the street -- unfortunately, one will only push up daisies.

voiceofconcern
voiceofconcern 03/27/09 - 08:01 am
Was not Thursday a School

Was not Thursday a School Day? What were They Doing home?
Where were the parents. I'm so sorry this tragedy occurred. My prayers are with all families involved.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 03/27/09 - 08:12 am
The child died shortly after

The child died shortly after 3:00. Shouldn't he/they have been safe in school when he was shot?

wheeza
wheeza 03/27/09 - 08:23 am
This child went to school

This child went to school with my daughter and they get out of school at 2:20. How awful that some of your folks are so quick to point a finger...... This is someone's child...a child of God and how dare you speak about this tradegy as if you personally knew this family... TSK TSK

drumbeater1
drumbeater1 03/27/09 - 08:46 am
justus4,this has nothing to

justus4,this has nothing to do with the Second Amendment and everything to do with black hoodlums running amock ...they are the idiots who should never be allowed to touch a firearm.Just desserts in my book...they got what they deserved.

thugette
thugette 03/27/09 - 08:47 am
We need to pray for this

We need to pray for this family that is going through this tough time right now. Now is not the time for blaming others or seeing what is right or wrong, now is the time to mourn the loss of yet another child. You all can point fingers later. God rest his soul.

wheeza
wheeza 03/27/09 - 08:51 am
DRUMBEATER1 you are an idiot

DRUMBEATER1 you are an idiot

drumbeater1
drumbeater1 03/27/09 - 08:52 am
wheeza...it is what it

wheeza...it is what it is.......sad , but true.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 03/27/09 - 08:58 am
It plainly says the young man

It plainly says the young man shot was not involved in the burglary. Not all young black men are thugs. I swear some of you are so warped in the head. This was a child that was killed by no fault of his own. What if it were your child that was at someone elses house and this happened? How would you feel if I callously called him a criminal and a thug because of my prejudices? My prayers go out to his family on the loss of their loved one.

wheeza
wheeza 03/27/09 - 09:15 am
Drumbeater1 DO YOU KNOW THAT

Drumbeater1 DO YOU KNOW THAT CHILD????? Do you know that family????? NO!!!!! Raekwon was loved by many people, and many classmates as well. He was not "someone getting what he deserved". He will be remembered with dignity, so you and others like you, that are filled with prejudice, should go somewhere and hang your heads in shame for being so narrow minded and heartless.

na_bboy
na_bboy 03/27/09 - 09:20 am
And my kids wonder why we

And my kids wonder why we won't let them go to friends houses unless we know they'll be supervised. Its just one of those things that could've been prevented, now they'll live with that vision for the rest of their lives. My father was huntings with his cousins when they were young, probably 12 to 15 years old, he accidently dropped his rifle it went off and killed his cousin, the family lost a loved one and the psychological damage was done, he's still here and well but i can't imagine how that alters a someones mindset. You can preach to kids about being safe and preach but thats life you never what the day may bring, I hope they can maintain some form of peace in there life and move on. It can't be rationalized in a blog on website, everyday offers new trials and tribulations, nowadays its seems as if we never get a break, war, economy, the job market, crime, violence, etc.................

gdaddy
gdaddy 03/27/09 - 09:23 am
My remorse is with the family

My remorse is with the family that was burgularized. How their privacy was invaded with these low rent thugs How terrible!!

drumbeater1
drumbeater1 03/27/09 - 09:35 am
wheeza, i know that at his

wheeza, i know that at his age he was old enough to know that hanging with kids-you get this now-kids that break into people's houses and steal ,invade the sanctity and peace of people's homes will get you into trouble. unfortunately,others will have to learn from this,it's too late for him.
playing with a shotgun ???? sheer stupidity.

cparker
cparker 03/27/09 - 09:45 am
gdaddy... Your perspective is

gdaddy... Your perspective is crazy. It is strange how white fools like you get offended when called racist, but you know you are!! Why not the same out pouring for prayers like for the Columbia County lady? I forgot.... This black 13 year old that didn't steal the guns is a black middle school thug that met and end white folks felt he deserved, right? Again, I say!! White folks are crazy as h*ll in Augusta.

Hoss4
Hoss4 03/27/09 - 09:48 am
Obviously this is a very sad

Obviously this is a very sad event and my prayers are with this young man's family. However, Libs arent you embarrassed to have people like Justus4 as your daily spokesperson? And yes, I realize and read racist comments on here from the right everyday too. But JUstus4 takes the cake for being the dumbest and most racist of all who post here. Never has he offered an objective opinion and never does he call it what it truly is. Its always others (MEANING THE EVIL WHITE MAN's FAULT) for things that happen. JUSTUS4, you are an embarresment to your race.

ripjones
ripjones 03/27/09 - 09:52 am
Wheeza -- I am truly sorry

Wheeza -- I am truly sorry that the young man lost his life. His choice of friends, cost him his future. As I said above, what are young teens doing with guns, and where is the adult supervision? If it is proven that the other two, were the burglars, then when they are released from Juvie Jail, we will have two more criminals out on the streets. I don't have the answers, but their mindset has to change.