S. Carolina lawmaker is making bid for Congress

AIKEN --- State Sen. Shane Massey announced Thursday his intent to run for the U.S. House seat being vacated next year by Gresham Barrett, who plans to run for governor.

Shane Massey: State senator says he is running for Congress because he thinks "the stakes are too high to sit on the sidelines."  File/Staff
File/Staff

Mr. Massey, a Republican who represents the 25th District, including Aiken, Edgefield, McCormick, and Saluda counties, said the nation's economic crisis compels him to run for Congress.

"I kind of feel like that's what it is -- a calling," he said. "With everything going on with all the bailouts and all the talk of stimulus money, I just think the stakes are too high to sit on the sidelines."

Mr. Massey said he's appreciated the work Mr. Barrett has done in Congress representing South Carolina's 3rd Congressional District, and "if I could follow him I think that would be a great honor for me."

He said he's sending out letters to 3,500 people in his senate district "just to let them know I am running and why I'm running."

The why, he said, also is based on his belief that "a lot of these big decisions (in Congress) are being made by people who have lost some good judgment or small town common sense, and I want to bring some of that back."

Mr. Massey said he declared his intentions to run now because he wants to get the word out and get an early start on fundraising .

However, he said, he won't be alone.

"There are going to be many candidates in this race before it's over with, most of them from the Upstate," he said. "They've already begun working hard."

Reach Preston Sparks at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110 or preston.sparks@augustachronicle.com

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 03/20/09 - 04:27 am
I love it when candidates use

I love it when candidates use things like, "it's a calling" to tell why thye choose to run...it's not the power, it's the Lord God and Baby Jesus that calls me to serve. Hope this guy is not another Reichpublican.

justus4
justus4 03/20/09 - 06:43 am
I hope he fails.

I hope he fails.

rufus
rufus 03/20/09 - 07:19 am
Don't worry justus, I'm sure

Don't worry justus, I'm sure you will get one of "your" candidates

pofwe
pofwe 03/20/09 - 07:19 am
Shane, Shane, you're moving

Shane, Shane, you're moving too fast. You got real luckey in the past. To play in Washington you must be mean ... I'm concerned that you're just too green. By the way your local Edgefielders elected you in November, when you're run for Congress people will remember, "you ain't done 'squat.'" Now you wanna go to Washington & squat with the big squatters. You'll find out soon enough the people of your district are sick 'n' tired of greenhorn politicians; thinking that their election to a state body confirms their station as a "native son" prodigy. Hey, you just got luckey and your poltical aspirations will soon join the relics of John Jenrett, Charles Sharpe, Tommy Moore, etc ... Too big fer ya britches. Shoulda stayed humble.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/20/09 - 08:38 am
Why do you find "it's a

Why do you find "it's a calling" so offensive. When a teacher is asked why she teaches and she says "it's a calling" or a doctor says "It's my calling" it only means they feel that the profession is what they are meant to do, that is their place in life. Whether he's moving too fast or a greehorn politicians, maybe that's what they need in Washington. Someone with new fresh ideas that hasn't been damaged by all the politician BS that goes on in Washington.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 03/20/09 - 10:46 am
You got the Callin' then you

You got the Callin' then you had better Run. Thank you for saving the Flock.

jack
jack 03/20/09 - 11:49 am
I love it when candidates use

Posted by brad.owens on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:27 AM....Brad he already has said he is a Republican. It seems the "Reichpublicans" are the only ones in Congress these days who fight the socialist pork programs of your de facto President, Princess Pilosi and her puppet, BimbObama. He gets my vote as does Barrett for governor.

slmp
slmp 03/20/09 - 02:20 pm
Leave him alone, I graduated

Leave him alone, I graduated high school with him and I think he can do it. Anything he puts his mind to he can do.

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.