Let us pray

Many states and communities around the country have established "drug-free" zones around schools.

"Prayer-free zones" are well on their way too.

The courts long ago banned school-sponsored prayer. Then they banned student-led prayer over the loudspeakers.

Now the courts have essentially ruled that public school officials - specifically coaches - cannot even appear to be praying with students now.

The federal 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals made that ruling earlier in the case of a New Jersey coach, and the U.S. Supreme Court decided last week not to hear the case - which makes that the law, at least in the 3rd Circuit (Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and the Virgin Islands).

East Brunswick High School Coach Marcus Borden used to kneel and bow as his football players led each other in a pre-game prayer. After parents complained, the district banned the practice in 2005. The courts have now upheld that ban.

After the ban, the coach merely stood at attention. Let's hope he wasn't watching! Another potential violation of the Constitution!

Good grief.

There is no one in this country with any familiarity with American history - not a lawyer, not a judge, not a litigant - who can argue that the Founding Fathers ever intended for us to wipe out public prayer. Quite the contrary, they engaged in it on a regular basis.

Astoundingly, those same Founding Fathers who wrote the Constitution would find themselves in "violation" of it today.

They certainly wouldn't survive long as public school coaches!

Recent trends seem to say that the First Amendment to the Constitution protects our "freedom from religion." It says no such thing. In actuality, the amendment says that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..."

Ah, so now we've gotten to the nub of it. By bowing his head and taking a knee, Coach Borden established a national religion for us all. The scoundrel! Tar and feather the man! And off with his head, if needs must!

How ridiculous.

Moreover, it could sensibly be argued that this ruling interferes with the coach's "free exercise" rights.

Expect more of this in the years to come, as the country's left wing - now able to stack the courts with judges hostile to religion - seeks to expand the schools' prayer-free zones nationwide.

krazylegs
krazylegs 03/12/09 - 12:37 am
if alot more people would

if alot more people would pray to God the world would be a better place just look where taking it out is getting us maybe if we all started praying then maybe things would start looking up, i used to say that no one should push how they feel about things on anyone and i still feel that but at the same time i just pray for those who dont know God and those who do should be aloud to pray if its not your religion then yes you should be aloud to say you dont wish to participate and no one should push a religion on you but i know from experience that there is only one God and if you don't know him or pray to him to help you in your life and to help others he'll eventually be in your life one way or another due to those of us who pray for you instead a bash you. When i get stressed at work and its not even from the work because i like to work and be busy its with the so call christians that i work around who need to really ask God for forgivness for taking up a seat a church and thinking that donating to already rich fundraisers and such is the ticket to sit next to God all i do is close my eyes no matter what im in the middle of and pray really hard to God to help them.

krazylegs
krazylegs 03/12/09 - 12:38 am
oh and by the way it works

oh and by the way it works and helps all us at work have a better day

TechLover
TechLover 03/12/09 - 06:51 am
Strange, I pray all the time

Strange, I pray all the time and no one knows I do it. I see no one, courts or otherwise, trying to stop me.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/12/09 - 07:00 am
Things have not improved

Things have not improved since the left 's war on prayer, and Christianity in general, began. The same mentality that declared infanticide was equal to privacy is now declaring that having a religion violates the "freedom from religion" for everyone. One degree at at time, the frog comes to a boil.

Motorman5039
Motorman5039 03/12/09 - 07:15 am
ptriciathomas: Maybe if the

ptriciathomas: Maybe if the right weren't such hypocrites the war on prayer wouldn't be so bloody...btw, to pray you need both hands, left and right, that is if you pray properly and put them together...I imagine you praying by first giving a Nazi salute and lighting a cross...

44mag
44mag 03/12/09 - 07:22 am
Motorman5039 - Ever thought

Motorman5039 - Ever thought about starting your own religion?

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 03/12/09 - 07:55 am
I thought it was freedom

I thought it was freedom of....not a guaranteed right to be free from any signs of religion.

mgroothand
mgroothand 03/12/09 - 07:59 am
It really depends on what the

It really depends on what the coach is praying for. If he is praying for a victory it means that the other team loses, if his prayers are answered. If he is praying that no one will be seriously injured during the game, both sides win. A prayer that I hope will be seriously considered.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/12/09 - 08:04 am
Unfortunately, mgroothand,

Unfortunately, mgroothand, the thought police get to make the decision of what the prayer was. They're seldom kind.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/12/09 - 08:05 am
Motorman, so much hate. Where

Motorman, so much hate. Where do I find the rules for body position while praying? Is that why the war on prayer is so bloody?

gdaddy
gdaddy 03/12/09 - 08:06 am
Sodom & Gamora is here again!

Sodom & Gamora is here again! Don't look back as the politicians have...you will turn to stone as they have. Noone will ever stop me from praying to my GOD!!!

Jim Christian
Jim Christian 03/12/09 - 08:07 am
Here's the deal: anyone can

Here's the deal: anyone can pray anywhere, at any time. But if corporal prayer is what you want, then what you want is church.

TechLover
TechLover 03/12/09 - 08:30 am
Gosh I hate pickig on typos,

Gosh I hate pickig on typos, I make plenty myself, but did you mean Gamara, the giant flying turtle? As far as Noone goes, why does the lead singer for Herman's Hermits care whether you pray or not?

thepursuit
thepursuit 03/12/09 - 08:33 am
With regards to the prayer in

With regards to the prayer in schools debate, I have a hard time justifying why my children should be subjected to beliefs they may not hold themselves. Its already a shame that they can be proselytized on a personal level by evangelicals who value their vague and amorphic religious beliefs more than they do actual human beings. But to be forced to participate in a worship ritual is just ridiculous. The claim that the absence of prayer is the cause for poor education is also a very poorly constructed argument. I wonder if the pro-religion-in-school citizenry would fight the same fight if verses from the Quran were to be read aloud instead of or along with typical christian prayer so often called for in school.

TechLover
TechLover 03/12/09 - 08:35 am
The right doesn't want prayer

The right doesn't want prayer in schools, they want THEIR prayer in schools. Have the students turn to Mecca, say a Hail Mary (appropriate for football), or chant the Krishna Mantra and the same folks would be screaming to put a stop to it.

TechLover
TechLover 03/12/09 - 08:38 am
Education started going

Education started going downhill when they took the fins off of Cadillacs. Same reasoning.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/12/09 - 08:44 am
Tech, you don't feel the war

Tech, you don't feel the war on Christianity is as much of a cause as it is a symptom? I think the fins are just a coincidence, but I agree with your 8:35 post. Most of the rituals you listed are from anti-western culture religions. (your 8:30 was on target though)

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 03/12/09 - 08:45 am
This country was founded on

This country was founded on Christianity...one nation under God, In God we Trust. Not allah, not the teen age mutant ninja turtles, not Strawberry shortcake or any other made up entity.

mommie2
mommie2 03/12/09 - 08:45 am
First off...I am all for

First off...I am all for school-sponsored prayer being banned. Students are allowed to pray on their own so their first amendment rights are protected. But what about the coach? Is his first amendment rights not being trampled on by being denied the right to pray with his team? And that was an excellent post Retired Army.

Talkatoast
Talkatoast 03/12/09 - 08:48 am
Banning prayer keeps religion

Banning prayer keeps religion from being forced upon students. I've always been for it. Send your children to a Catholic school if you want them to be forced to pray.

mommie2
mommie2 03/12/09 - 08:48 am
And Allah is just the Arabic

And Allah is just the Arabic word for God. It's the same God.

HotFoot
HotFoot 03/12/09 - 08:59 am
Right on, thepursuit and

Right on, thepursuit and TechLover. There is no "war on Christianity". Look around. It bombards you everywhere you go, including (as thepursuit points out) at school, where little evangelicals are all-too-ready to tell non-believing or non-Christian kids they're going to hell. Why don't you understand that when a government-paid authority figure (a coach) includes a group prayer as part of the pre-game ritual, it's COERCIVE. As TechLover notes, no one can stop you from praying alone. If you want to pray in a group, convene one in your home or place of worship. I pray every day in my own way. No one has tried to stop me yet.

grouse
grouse 03/12/09 - 09:43 am
A school official should not

A school official should not be forcing his religious beliefs on his students. You would be up in arms if the coach were Muslim and had everyone bow down to Mecca. Besides, Jesus said not to make a show of prayer, but to do it privately.

Dan White 03/12/09 - 10:03 am
God is judging this

God is judging this government and nation for giving the finger to God. Prayer is coersion? How about making me pay for abortions and embryonic stem cell research with my taxes that is against my faith? That is the definition of coercion. I wish I could designate what my taxes go to fund!

HotFoot
HotFoot 03/12/09 - 10:16 am
Gee, greenjacket, I wish I

Gee, greenjacket, I wish I could designate what my taxes fund, as well. Certain wars, for example. Abstinence indoctrination, for another. Denying gays equal rights under the law--yep, that one, too. Oh, my list is endless! But that's not how our democracy works, my friend. Not forcing children to participate (or feel ostracized) in tax-funded group prayer is NOT "giving the finger to God". It is a NEUTRAL ACT, or absence of an act. The coach was welcome to pray in his office--he just couldn't gather the team around and pray to Jesus. You can't see why? By the way, what kind of god cares which team wins? What kind of micro-managing god do you folks believe in, anyway...

Jim Christian
Jim Christian 03/12/09 - 10:26 am
tjohns at 8:22 said: "But

tjohns at 8:22 said: "But what about the coach? Is his first amendment rights not being trampled on by being denied the right to pray with his team?"I'm sure that if a Pagan, Muslim or Wiccan coach tried to pray one of their prayers to his or her team, folks wouldn't be clamoring to protect that coach's 1st ammendment rights.

latosha_5
latosha_5 03/12/09 - 10:39 am
I don't recall seeing that

I don't recall seeing that the coach "forced" the players to pray with him. it is his right to get on his knees and pray as well as it is their right not to participate in group prayer. wehn i was in school we had "a moment of silence" where any student could pray, sing a song in their head, pick thier nose or doodle...it is their personal choice. i suppose this coach will be punished when he bows his head before enjoying his meals in the cafeteria! this is so ridiculous!!!

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 03/12/09 - 10:41 am
It is time for God Fearing

It is time for God Fearing God loving Americans to take a stand. The problem with America is those in charge( notice I did not say we) are trying to appease every one that comes along. Do you hear of other countries banning their religion? In most countries it is an automatic death sentence to speak out against the religion of that country, no matter what it is. Those whom we have elected who want to ban our belief in God and prayer should be sent to those countries where they do not have to worry about seeing an expression of Christianity. It is time that we offend some people and get back to a basic belief in our God.And if that offends someone, I do not apologize.

freedombelle
freedombelle 03/12/09 - 11:47 am
So many of you are determined

So many of you are determined to group all religions under one umbrella. AND yes it is freedom OF not freedom FROM. Christians all have one common belief; That Jesus Christ was born, suffered/died and was ressurected from the dead for ONE purpose: That ALL mankind might have salvation..I DID say ALL. Now..I don't think we, as Christians should "push" our beliefs upon anyone else BUT we are bound by God's command to; "Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things I have commanded you and lo I am with you always even to the end of the world." Matthew 28: 19-20. That does NOT mean we hate you, quite the opposite...we do have to respond to God's word in our way..You can accept it or NOT and THAT friends is the beauty of our faith. There are many denominations who believe this therefore they are also known as Christians. I am Protastant and most of these other beliefs call themselves Protastant also. The exception mainly is the Catholic faith. There are many differences in theology and interpretation of the "HOLY BIBLE." .......con't

freedombelle
freedombelle 03/12/09 - 12:06 pm
BUT...as long as this ONE

BUT...as long as this ONE belief is shared then we are Christians. If all Believers, no matter what they believe, would teach their children at home (which they all don't) there would need be only a moment of silent reflection in schools. That would serve as their prayer or NOT..( and yes I am aware I mispelled Protestant, so don't jump on me for that.) I too wish that in the case of prayer, we could go back to the old days and still pray in school but those days are long gone thanks to the society we live in today and those who are so terrorfied at the mention of God's name. Yes, all people should have a right to their own religion whatever it might be...But remember folks that includes us," Bible thumpers whom you believe to be so rabid."

May God richly bless you and yours today and always..OH...and I love you too, openly and HONESTLY...That's what Christians DO! And..............no I am not a preacher, just an old woman who has experienced many miracles in my life..Good day all neighbors including my Jewish friends..

Longtime Red Devils coach honored

LINCOLNTON, Ga. - Larry Campbell slowly walked into the stadium like he had done countless times before. But on this night, Campbell walked out of his stadium.