A 6-year-old girl rescued from a south Augusta house fire late Friday night remained in critical condition at a hospital Sunday.
Shakira Rouse was still in the intensive care unit of the Medical College of Georgia Children's Medical Center on Sunday, said Medical College of Georgia spokeswoman Denise Parrish,
The child was pulled from the house in the 3200 block of Kevin Drive by neighbors. The girl's mother, Yolanda Hankerson, 36, died at the scene, and her sister Laquisha Rouse, 9, and cousin Zyon Nelson, 4, died at the hospital Saturday.
Investigators say they think the fire started at the kitchen stove, where Ms. Hankerson had been cooking.
Autopsy set for woman found dead after blaze
An autopsy will be performed today in Newberry, S.C., on a woman whose body was found after a mobile home fire in Aiken County Saturday night.
The woman's body was recovered at 826 Kedron Church Road near Monetta about 10 p.m. Saturday, according to a news release from Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton.
By the time firefighters arrived, the mobile home was destroyed.
The cause of the fire is still being investigated by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division and the Aiken County Forensic Division.
Mr. Carlton said the woman's identity will not be released until her family is notified.
- The east and westbound lanes of Wheeler Road between Agerton Lane and Perimeter Parkway will be closed from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. today through Friday.
- A portion of the eastbound lanes on Robert C. Daniel Jr. Parkway near Marks Church Road will be closed 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. today through Friday.
- Crews will be pacing both sides of Interstate 20 between Warren and Belair roads Tuesday through Friday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Pacing will be on both sides of Bobby Jones Expressway between Wrightsboro Road and Scott Nixon Memorial Drive during the same time.
- A lane will be closed on Richland Avenue between York Street and Vaucluse Road today through Saturday as crews repave portions of the roadway. The completion date is subject to change.
- Silver Bluff Road between Pine Log and Whiskey roads will be closed today through Saturday as part of a road-resurfacing project. The completion date is subject to change. Flagmen will direct traffic.
- Drivers should prepare for a lane closure on University Parkway as crews resurface the road. The work will be today through Saturday but could change depending on the weather. Flagmen will direct traffic.
- There will be a temporary road closure for all westbound traffic on Old Evans Road between Columbia Industrial Boulevard and Washington Road. The closure will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. today through Friday.