Finding the Republican voice

It may go down as a landmark speech in the history of conservatism and, perhaps, Republicanism.

Mainstream media outlets want to ignore it or, at best, spin it as flame-throwing extremism. So you may not have seen much of Rush Limbaugh's address to the Conservative Political Action Conference last weekend in Washington.

CNN.com even went out of its way, and misled readers in the process, in its effort to jump over what Limbaugh actually said in order to discredit his speech, with a headline Monday that crowed "Limbaugh comments called ugly." The problem: The person making that alleged assessment, Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele, was actually quoted before Limbaugh made his speech.)

CNN did play up the Limbaugh speech later Monday night, but only to celebrate the alleged rift between Limbaugh and Steele -- which Steele quickly closed with an apology -- and to smirk at the fact that the Republicans are letting a talk show host lead the way.

Still, Limbaugh's speech had all the earmarks of a watershed event in the conservative movement.

That, combined with a spreading "Boston Tea Party" reaction to the Obama administration's financial machinations, could light a fire under the recently moribund conservative base in the country.

Conservatives are alarmingly concerned about the far-left lurch the nation has taken since Obama's inauguration. The federal government has added to both our children's debt and its own power exponentially in just the first month of Obama's rule.

Both those things necessarily lead to less freedom.

Limbaugh's remarks were essentially a manifesto of conservatism, including support of limited government, low taxation and individual freedom.

Radical? OK, if the liberal media want to call it that.

The problem for Republicans is, Rush Limbaugh is a talk radio host. He's an entertainer, not a politician. He may be the spiritual leader for Republicans and conservatives, but he's not a political figure capable of running with that banner.

The GOP has failed in recent years to find such a political figure, too.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin stormed onto the scene last year as John McCain's running mate -- and while she continues to excite conservatives with her values and common sense, she appeared unprepared for the role of national running mate, and the liberal media tried their best to pick her bones clean.

Likewise, the party may have errantly rushed Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal onto the national scene when it asked him to deliver the Republican response to Obama's speech to the joint session of Congress. Jindal said all the right things, but his delivery was stilted, and distracted from the message.

One of the great conservative standard-bearers in Congress, South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint, told us recently he is more concerned with promoting principles than media stars. We understand the sentiment, but will respectfully disagree with the good senator: In this day and age, a party cannot get ahead with even the best principles unless they have someone telegenic and articulate and sympathetic to carry those principles to the public.

That's the GOP's challenge.

An even bigger challenge will be convincing black and Hispanic voters that conservative principles will benefit them. The media and academia have pummeled conservatives and tried to marginalize them. Meanwhile, Republicans have done an abysmal job of upholding conservative principles (see "Bush, George W.") and reaching out to minority voters. The former seems to be improving; the latter has to be Job No. 1 for chairman Steele.

The country is on the wrong track. Conservatives need to speak up. And Republicans need to find their voice.

Comments (160)

ITDoc
ITDoc 03/04/09 - 05:33 pm

Sab: I will thank you for

Sab: I will thank you for your service to our country. I will ask you to consider our country is extremely vulnerable to outside influence now due to the overly hateful actions of REP v DEM, Lib v Con, White v Black, RTL v RTA, etc etc etc. Work with me, join me as an American brother to combat the hate for love of our nation.

ITDoc
ITDoc 03/04/09 - 05:34 pm

If we don't get it together

If we don't get it together real soon, this guy is going to look like a prophet. http://themaritimesentry.blogspot.com/2008/11/russian-prediction-of-amer...

toldya
toldya 03/04/09 - 05:35 pm

ITDOC: I will join you as an

ITDOC: I will join you as an American sister ;)

toldya
toldya 03/04/09 - 05:37 pm

Sadly, the only time I

Sadly, the only time I remember the country uniting as one (no repub, no dem, no black, no white0 was after 9/11. We all considered ourselves as just American.

ITDoc
ITDoc 03/04/09 - 05:39 pm

We are facing a situation

We are facing a situation worse than 9/11: The loss of hope for our children's future. If we don't stop hating, we're going to be a satellite country of China or USSR and we'll all look back and say "We knew better." I respect your opinon, though I may not agree. Let us set aside that which makes us different for the sake of what we have in common: the love of our children.

ITDoc
ITDoc 03/04/09 - 05:40 pm

;-), I'm the American

;-), I'm the American brother.

toldya
toldya 03/04/09 - 05:52 pm

IT: Unfortunately the only

IT: Unfortunately the only time Americans rally together as one is after a traumatic event. I think all of us are basically good people who are working hard or who have worked hard, raise our children with love and respect and won't allow the meek to be trampled over. I think alot of this talk about the current President or the pst President is from anger and fear. Agree so far?

ITDoc
ITDoc 03/04/09 - 05:55 pm

Yes'm. I try to keep my

Yes'm. I try to keep my criticisms of Obama based upon policy and fact. I also try to offer my solution to the same problem to avoid appearing as a whiner. I DO object to the pass Obama gets from comedians and critics and I've prepared an entire comedy routine to bring that out and discuss it. I criticized Bush when I disagreed, just as I criticized Clinton, Bush 1, Reagan, Carter etc. I am an equal opportunity annoyer.

toldya
toldya 03/04/09 - 06:13 pm

IT: I as well am an equal

IT: I as well am an equal opportunity annoyer-I think the only reason Obama gets a "pass" is because he is black- this is new territory for all of us- let alone the comedians. Mark my words, once it is done- it will be played out by everybody, and I mean everybody.

toldya
toldya 03/04/09 - 06:14 pm

IT; by the way- it would have

IT; by the way- it would have to come from a black comedian first.

ITDoc
ITDoc 03/04/09 - 06:52 pm

I am just as black as any

I am just as black as any black person in America and I have the biography to prove it.

JackRyan
JackRyan 03/04/09 - 07:12 pm

Yes, the repugs do need a

Yes, the repugs do need a voice, however it needs to be one we haven't heard before. All the ones we have heard are "tainted" and need to go--just like all the damnecrats!

jedex6
jedex6 03/04/09 - 07:22 pm

Conservatives always talk

Conservatives always talk about getting gov't off the backs of people. It was Reagan who championed that idea and then he proceeded to preside over the largest expansion of the federal gov't in history. He also promised to abolish the Dept. of Education, a good idea in my opinion, and then not only failed to do so, but we got saddled with the failure of No Child Left Behind, and the education system is in a worse shambles than ever. As a remedy, conservatives always shout for vouchers. No doubt vouchers have thier place, but I don't think they are the total answer. Where I am going with this is that there are just certain things that only the federal gov't can achieve, and although I am not a socialist, I differ with conservatives on that point. Military protection, interstate highways, funding for medical research, widespread literacy (but not lately), all of these things were achieved by the federal gov't. either directly or through funding. Lowering taxes and letting the free market take its course would not achieve these goals. I don't see how we can ever get away from at least a "socialism lite". The free market became a huge swindle, at least in banking. Why not a new tack?

johnsmith
johnsmith 03/04/09 - 07:44 pm

Coming to a Kroger near you

Coming to a Kroger near you (hey, we had price/wage controls under actual, conservative republicans. You don't think it'll happen with socialists in two branches?) "President Hugo Chavez is tightening state control over Venezuela's food supply, setting quotas for food staples which are to be sold at government-imposed prices. Venezuela's public finances are unravelling, with oil prices at $40 a barrel, while the national budget is calculated at $60 a barrel. Inflation is running at over 30 per cent, yet with the new measures Mr Chavez is seeking to ensure that his core support, the poor, can still fill their shopping baskets with food. "If any industry wants to ride roughshod over the consumers, with a view to getting better dividends, we are going to act," said Carlos Osorio, the national superintendent of silos and storage. "For the government, access to food is a matter of national security." Production quotas and prices have now been set for (...) white rice, the staple for many Venezuelans, can now only be sold at a price of 2.15 bolivares per kilo. Private companies insist that production of that kilo costs 4.41 bolivares" Gosh, what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/04/09 - 08:01 pm

johnsmith, can't Chavez just

johnsmith, can't Chavez just issue an executive order equating 2.15 bolivares to 4.41 bolivares? Then rice will at least not be sold at a loss. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

steve-o
steve-o 03/04/09 - 10:23 pm

france's past is America's

france's past is America's future under this "token" socialist. "FREEDOM 2010!"

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 03/04/09 - 11:55 pm

This thread reminds me of

This thread reminds me of used toilet paper. Too bad we can't flush most of you away.

KSL
KSL 03/05/09 - 12:54 am

Not, why should you think you

Not, why should you think you would be immune to a big giant flush? Just what of significance can you say that you have provided our country?

KSL
KSL 03/05/09 - 12:55 am

With your negative name, I'm

With your negative name, I'm wondering what positive things you can say you have done for our country? Any for anyone except you and your family?

Augusta man gets life without parole in killing

Jonathan Lee Felton, 23, was convicted in Richmond County Superior Court of murder and weapon charges for the Oct. 25, 2010, shooting death of 22-year-old Eric "Easy" Wright.