Evolutionists aren't very enlightened

In response to several letters that tend to imply that people who do not believe in evolution are not as enlightened as those who do, I would like to add my two cents.

I believe in creation not because of some emotional wish to be in heaven on a cloud, but because it makes the most sense. If, in the middle of desert, I came upon a house with everything I needed to survive -- including food, water, comfortable temperature and even things that just make life more enjoyable like a beautiful view -- could I assume that this home evolved over millions of years? Evolution would assume so. If ancient ruins were uncovered and were mostly made of stone, could I not assume that they evolved? Silly, isn't it?

Yet plants, animals and humans are much more complex and we are supposed to believe that they all evolved.. If we evolved, why did birds get wings and we did not? Or are they coming later? I see no logical reason for animals to evolve to the sky when up until then all the food was on the ground. Why can we not find hundreds of planets in the various stages of evolution?

Evolution makes about as much sense as believing that if I put glass, leather and metal in a clothes dryer and spin it for millions of years I just might get a watch that keeps perfect time. Evolutionists just don't seem too "enlightened" to me.

Chris Paulus

Augusta

GGpap
GGpap 03/02/09 - 01:37 am
Chris, your opinion proves

Chris, your opinion proves one thing...with some certainty to be sure.

younameit
younameit 03/02/09 - 06:56 am
This may be the most

This may be the most insightful letter I have ever seen in this paper. Of course, evolutionists would believe it could be written by placing an infant at a keyboard and, eventually, all the letters would fall into place.

dashiel
dashiel 03/02/09 - 08:11 am
Can't we please move on

Can't we please move on please. This argument is futile, though, if conditions were precisely right, I do believe that a chimpanzee could devolve into a talk radio host. How's that? Oh. Well, then. Nevermind.

pofwe
pofwe 03/02/09 - 08:44 am
In God's Great Plan why can't

In God's Great Plan why can't a created creature, (created by God "out of the ground". Genesis 2:19), morph or physiologically adapt in order to survive a changing environment? God, being all knowing, certainly could genetically engineer species for adaptability. Any questions? Read your Bible & Pray everyday & you'll grow, grow, grow. Then you'll know, know, know! "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:7. "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." Psalms 14:1

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 03/02/09 - 10:05 am
I've seen some stupid LTEs,

I've seen some stupid LTEs, but this one beats them all.

Local Interests
Local Interests 03/02/09 - 10:23 am
Christian evolutionists, such

Christian evolutionists, such as myself, don't think so much that you are unenlightened but that you are simply uneducated or drowning in theological dogma that has absolutely NOTHING to do with leading the life Jesus taught us to lead.
Every single argument I read against evolution either depends on a severely inadequate knowledge of evolutionary biology or on a blind or literal reading of the Old Testament.

MyTake
MyTake 03/02/09 - 11:30 am
pofwe, your point has always

pofwe, your point has always puzzled me as well. Why could God not have created evolution as a wonderfully complex and dynamic living system? How could a God be satisfied with lumps of clay that just sit where you put them? Let's give Him a little credit! And Local Interests, I love your comment as well. Who can love Jesus and then turn back to build these frail fortresses of groupthink and repression?

jack
jack 03/02/09 - 12:01 pm
Pofwe, as A Christian who

Pofwe, as A Christian who believes in evolution being God's plan for our universe and earth, I have yet to have a creationist explain to me how, if Adam and Eve were the only people God created, the earth became so populated unless there was some real incest in the family. Where did the Babylonians, Caananites, Hittites, Assyrians, et al, that the Israelis encountered or were taken into captivity by come from. I have found that most who believe in creationism are either un or under educated or have been completely brain washed with church dogma.

bdittle
bdittle 03/02/09 - 01:52 pm
Is this letter serious? I

Is this letter serious? I can't tell.

corgimom
corgimom 03/02/09 - 02:24 pm
" I see no logical reason for

" I see no logical reason for animals to evolve to the sky when up until then all the food was on the ground. " You can't make this stuff up. This is hilarious. Where does he think birds get food today, from outer space?

jedex6
jedex6 03/02/09 - 03:26 pm
This letter is a show of

This letter is a show of extreme ignorance. Paulus has obvioulsy never studied evolutionary science in any form, or else he would have a basic grasp as to how science definitely explains just how plants and animals evolved by natural selection over millions of years. To say that intelligent design, or creationism, is science and is a valed theory is to credit a cartoon science which has absolutely no basis in scientific fact. It is based on a religious theory that there is an intelligent designer and contains the fallacy of having no explaination as to who designed the designer. Evolution is not an assumption any more that gravity is an assumption. Evolution offers rational explainations, whereas ID assumes that an intelligent designer just popped up out of nowhere. Silly, isn't it?

jedex6
jedex6 03/02/09 - 03:34 pm
bdittle, it's serious. The

bdittle, it's serious. The level of ignorance out there is astounding. It's partly why the rest of the world is far ahead of us on all measures of academic achievement and learning. The religious right movement in this country that has been afoot for the last thirty years continues to be a major contributor to this nonsense, and it is sad. As Bill Maher says, when otherwise intelligent people believe in the Garden of Eden and a talking snake, you know we are in serious trouble. Eight years of Bush thinking he was on a mission from God has gotten us to where we are, in a ditch with no relief in sight.

Bizarro
Bizarro 03/02/09 - 04:24 pm
The religious right has

The religious right has nothing to do with the failing our students. The Flynn effect demonstrates our kids are smarter but it is a failed education system (north, south, east and west) of not encouraging critical thinking. The chinese and other third world countries spend far less monetarily but start difficult principals younger (heavy emphasis on math, physics, and all science) and encourage word problems that one has to apply knowledge. Our kids are lazy, want to memorize, and the bottom line is the grade (making an A) and not what knowledge you've attained. Bill Maher is a comedian with a BA in english and history(he was raised catholic) so I wouldn't put a lot of credence in his intellectual prowess.

lowellbrown
lowellbrown 03/02/09 - 04:27 pm
If you were to discover a

If you were to discover a house like that out in the desert, you could write a book about how aliens from another universe built it. You'd be surprised how many people would read your book, and a few would actually believe it.

doubt-it
doubt-it 03/02/09 - 05:05 pm
Chris buddy, you may want to

Chris buddy, you may want to keep some of your arguments for ID to yourself. They really make you sound delusional and ignorant. But they sure are entertaining. You've eloquently equated a home in the desert and ancient ruins with biological features. These futures did not "appear" anywhere, they resulted from trillions and trillions of cellular transactions over billions of years that are generated and defined by proven chemical and electrical forces on a microscopic level. You may want to read about them.

jedex6
jedex6 03/02/09 - 06:08 pm
doubt-it, Your comments are

doubt-it, Your comments are right on. However, don't think that you will ever change Chris. Talking to a wall will get you nowhere. These ID people are a monolith that we are all stuck with, like a plague. As the country has become more religious it has become more ignorant. Ignorance breeds more ignorance and the future outlook is bleak. It is the same kinds of fools like Chris who believe we are living the End Times, which is a form of mass delusion. Need I say more?

Bizarro
Bizarro 03/02/09 - 08:16 pm
All of the ivy league schools

All of the ivy league schools were founded by Calvinist except Cornell with mottos like "In God we Hope", "Under God's Power She Flourishes" and the like. Then Notre Dame founded by catholics, etc. etc. etc etc. Don't confuse a few fundamentalist christians (now or the past) with all christianity and all the contributions made to the growth of knowledge by numerous scientist clergy and significant numbers of prestigious schools founded by the religious. My guess the majority who accept evolution science know little of it and just blindly accept science has it right, although I would hope people would have read at least one book related to the topic. Some of the religious do seem resistant to evolution however polls indicate the majority of christians accept evolution a theistic form however. Often some religious folk are just as resistant to science disproving a link with thimerosal in vaccines and autism as they do with evolution, but just as many are physicians or nurses or just educated laypersons who know better. All the religious rants aren't an argument, the logic is lame, reveals some sort of sick preoccupation with myths they don't believe in. Need I say more? hee,hee,he

jedex6
jedex6 03/02/09 - 09:44 pm
Bizarro, what is your point?

Bizarro, what is your point? That because some scientists were religious and some still are, then religion is necessary and good? Science does just fine without religion. Morality and decency do just fine without religion. Religion is an artifact of an earlier time in man's development, when it served the purpose of explaining natural phnenomena, for which pre-scientific societies had no means of explaining. It is no longer needed for that purpose, and the fact that it persists is just a needless pain in the neck, contributing to prejudice, misinformation, hatred and just generalized ignorance. A person like yourself should not need it, and if you would just get some maturity you would understand that.

jedex6
jedex6 03/02/09 - 09:52 pm
The Ivy league schools were

The Ivy league schools were founded by religious institutions because they were the only game in town. You are foolish to think that that somehow means that religion is still valuable. All the Ivy league schools have long since given up the advocacy of any religion. That was then, this is now. Get with it. Let's hope that we have developed a little in our thinking over the last three hundred years. No educated person who is not totally brainwashed believes in the biblical myths or in christian mythology surrounding the Jesus stories. Because that is what they are. Stories.

Bizarro
Bizarro 03/03/09 - 06:47 am
Jedex, I doubt you know of

Jedex, I doubt you know of maturity considering the tone of your posts. Your ignorance of the contributions of religion to history, music, art, science, society, etc are astounding. You must be twenty something. Even Dawkins and others consider religions memes, hence they evolved for some purpose and utility for man. Your lack of decency and moral bode against your argument you can be decent and moral without religion-since you appear to have none you mean spirited [filtered word]. You lack the intellect to follow a cogent logical argument.

jedex6
jedex6 03/03/09 - 11:04 am
Yes, Bizarro, I know all

Yes, Bizarro, I know all about the contributions of religion to art and music. I also know that religion is not a necessary factor in the formation of great art. I suppose you could argue for a type of spirituality, but not for a specfic set of dogmas and creeds as necessary to art. Dawkins considers religion as having been necessary for man's evolvement in the past. However, he feels that it was a stepping stone, and no longer needed as a basis for explaining natural phenomena since we now live in a scientific age. And you cannot prove to me that the Jesus stories are literally true. All of your arguements totally lose merit and nothing you can say is worth my time if you honestly believe that Jesus rose from the dead or was born of a virgin. I would be willing to gieve you the credit that you are too bright to believe in such nonsense.

Bizarro
Bizarro 03/03/09 - 02:28 pm
You can't prove they aren't

You can't prove they aren't true jedex. Nor can you prove or disprove the notion of God. But you can list numerous miracles-documented by catholic church or by thousands of on watchers. Intelligence has nothing to do with it, but without doubt considering how new atheism is and how few hold to its tenets that I can say with impunity that most of the major contributions in the world have come from people of faith-hindu, christians, muslims, etc.-it is just a logistical fact. Further plenty of studies indicating the benefits of faiths-medical, psychological (most medical psychiatry departments now teach faith based classes), etc. I have spent most of my life an atheist and never did I give a crap about those of faith nor did I disrespect their beliefs (whatever floats your boat was my philosophy). You seem to care too much about christianity (seem angry about it) nor do you display any respect for differing opinions. I don't disrespect those who don't believe in evolution nor people who voted for Obama (LOL, too funny!). I just wish you would lighten up with the rhetoric.

jedex6
jedex6 03/03/09 - 04:04 pm
No Biz, I cannot prove that

No Biz, I cannot prove that it is not true. Nor can I prove that Santa Claus is not true. You see, certain things are just obviously evident to rational people. As I said before, I will never, for the life of me, believe how otherwise rational people go all ga-ga when it comes to religion. Every ancient society had a virgin birth myth, a creation myth, etc. The Jesus story was made to fit them, along with the prophcies of the Old Testament. All bona fide biblical scholars now attest to the fact that the miracles were not literally true, but rather meant to be understood as symbols of the profound iimportance of Jesus' message. I don't need fairy tales and myths, but apparently you do. I was once caught up in the fundametalist mode of thinking, a place that you appear to be stuck in, until I opened my eyes and found using my reasoning power, common sense, and thirst for knowledge to be far more interesting, and even fun.

Bizarro
Bizarro 03/03/09 - 04:22 pm
All bona fide theologians

All bona fide theologians don't hold to your thinking-that is just a lie or ignorance on your part. I am not a fundamentalist. I would wager my intellect, reasoning capacity, common sense, and a thirst for knowledge against yours anyday Bubba.

Romney won't run

WASHINGTON - After a three-week flirtation with another run for president, Mitt Romney said definitively on Friday that he will not seek the White House in 2016.