How can we say our nation is racist?

Am I the only one who is tired of the constant liberal mantra that this is a racist country?

We have had a black secretary of state, surgeon general, member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Supreme Court justices, attorney general, generals, lawyers, businessmen and now the president of the United States of America. We have a less than 20 percent black population in this country. How is it possible for a black man to win the presidency if this is a racist country?

I was born and raised in South Korea, emigrated to this country, became an American citizen, had a family, joined the Army and retired from the Army after serving more than 20 years. While serving in the Army, I worked with people of all races and have been to many countries. None of the countries I lived in or visited seemed to be as polarized by race relations as we are in the United States, which is surprising. I find Americans to be the most generous and accepting of those who are different from them more than anywhere else.

I've met and worked with thousands of people. Some of them I admired, some I tolerated and some I did not like at all. However, my judgment of these people had nothing to do with the person's race, but had everything to do with their character. For the same reason, I never suspected my race had anything to do with it when others had various level of likes/dislikes toward me.

I believe this is the greatest country in the world. I encourage every American to teach our children the greatness of this country and let them know anything is possible if they believe in themselves and are willing to work hard for it. I reject racism when I encounter it. I also reject those who use racism to browbeat others into silence or as an excuse for their failures.

YeSun Wiltse

Evans

Nammy
Nammy 02/27/09 - 01:30 am
"I reject racism when I

"I reject racism when I encounter it. I also reject those who use racism to browbeat others into silence or as an excuse for their failures."---worth repeating.

cajunnana2000
cajunnana2000 02/27/09 - 04:15 am
Now after saying all of this,

Now after saying all of this, I would love for you to walk in a black man's shoes. I do wish you could have started out as a black man especially at your age, having retired from the army with 20 years. You arrived in this country or at birth had a head start and you will never understand. You can name a few yes, but I bet there are just as many Asians or more that advance you mentioned and the Black man has been here thru it all. OK, now thanks for the the way you see things.

cajunnana2000
cajunnana2000 02/27/09 - 04:15 am
Now after saying all of this,

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/27/09 - 06:28 am
Well said YeSun. The truth of

Well said YeSun. The truth of the matter is we have a political party that pushes racism at every turn and even submits (sometimes passes) congressional bills supporting and promoting racism. Our press acts the same way, supporting and promoting racism at every turn. It's a way to control a large part of our population (about 17%). Some members even wallow in the perceived racism. Some react to a personal guilt. Not all members of this group are sucked in by the "racist" spiel, and many of the primary group in this country are. Enough to elect a Marxist president because of skin color. In truth, YeSun, it's seldom about race. It's mostly about gullibility.

HotFoot
HotFoot 02/27/09 - 07:12 am
All you need to do, Mr.

All you need to do, Mr. Wiltse, is read these comments for a week. Then you'll get some idea of where the charges that we're a racist country come from. I don't deny that there have been improvements, but if you grow up outside the South and then move here, you'll be surprised at what jumps out at you.Not to say that there isn't racism throughout our society, but it'll pretty much smack you upside the head down here.

LBenedict
LBenedict 02/27/09 - 07:45 am
Well said YeSun, and thank

Well said YeSun, and thank you for your service.

jboy
jboy 02/27/09 - 07:46 am
midwestern, go back then!!

midwestern, go back then!!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/27/09 - 08:07 am
I've read your posts,

I've read your posts, midwest. You should be used to being smacked upside the head by now.

Grateful Augustan
Grateful Augustan 02/27/09 - 08:20 am
im not racist...i think

im not racist...i think everybody should own a few.......

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/27/09 - 08:52 am
Racism only lives in the

Racism only lives in the minds of racist-take justus for instance. Midwestern is right racism-blacks and whites-is still strong because of their blatant ignorance. Fortunaltely that isn't a majority here nor anywhere in the U.S., least we wouldn't have such a popular prez.

dashiel
dashiel 02/27/09 - 08:55 am
Some of my best friends are

Some of my best friends are Koreans.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/27/09 - 08:58 am
Midwest, I think you just

Midwest, I think you just must look for it more here. Old stereotypes die hard. During my career I have lived in Oakbrook, Il, Northern New Jersey, Miami, and a few other places. There is racism everywhere. But, we have come light-years.

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/27/09 - 09:06 am
True justthefacts. My bet

True justthefacts. My bet more "rednecks" live in California than Georgia. Racism knows no boundaries.

DonH
DonH 02/27/09 - 09:08 am
"Racism" has become a

"Racism" has become a catch-all phrase that has taken on a life of its own. In these times, the "Racism" term is used as an attemp to quell decent. If I don't agree with you, I am a racist. If you don't agree with me, then you are a racist. Blacks are still taught to feel downtrodden, even after years of equal opportunity laws from their Civil Rights Movement. Hispanics like to think they are a race unto themselves, so everyone else is a racist when a Hispanic doesn't get preferential treatment. The true meaning of the term has been lost in a quest for control through guilt. Not guilty here, your Honor!

teharper428
teharper428 02/27/09 - 09:18 am
Mr. Wiltse says, "my judgment

Mr. Wiltse says, "my judgment of these people had nothing to do with the person's race, but had everything to do with their character." And that is how everyone should feel, the problem, however, is that not everyone has that generous spirit.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/27/09 - 09:25 am
Unfortunately racism is alive

Unfortunately racism is alive and well. Fortunately racism iwill soon be a thing of the past. With all the intermingling of diferent races, inter marriage and racially mixed children; who will care in a few generations? I think even someone as cold as the eel would find it difficult to hate Hispanics if her grand kids were Hispanic. Fuss all you like over these idiotic differences, it just won't matter much longer. We will soon have to learn new reasons to hate our neighbors. Differences will still play a large part in that hatred. I don't like short people....short people have no reason to live....

justus4
justus4 02/27/09 - 09:59 am
This guy's experience is

This guy's experience is largely based on military life, which is totally different than that of civilian life. He points to the obvious, but fail to mention that there is ONLY one minority US Senator, NOT one US Governor, and the wealth of Wall Street is not minority-owned. Only one of the Fortune 500 CEO is of color, with no ownership of the airwaves or TV. No people of color on major cable channels, news programs, and few in any news room. We die at the hands of police everyday and the prisons are full of innocent people that a prejudiced judical system has created. African-American men with a 4yr degree make less than whites with high school, unemployment level for minoritiy men is double that of whites. Racial profiling violates the Fourth Amendment, but done everyday to people of color. Unequal justice everywhere: White man shoots two minorities, says he's protecting neighbor's house- No charges. Black man shoot kids in his yard that are threatening his son-He's charged with attempting murder. The country has a long way to go to meet the condition of the Constitution and the sooner that whites understand that objective, the better for the nation.

teharper428
teharper428 02/27/09 - 10:09 am
Midwestern- I am from a small

Midwestern- I am from a small midwestern town (my h.s. graduating class had 28). I think the difference is that it is more overt in the south. I have been shocked by comments posted here and even in a local public bar...by the owners. In addition, I've been told this area is the buckle of the bible belt and yet I've heard comments that should never pass the lips of the religious folks, if they truly feel we are all people of God.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 02/27/09 - 10:10 am
He must be watching the All

He must be watching the All White Media in all those places he lived. justus your name represents how you feel about everything....JUSTUS....you are a joke. Everything with you is the white man keeping the black man down. It's gotten so asinine that this is the last time I will respond to it and I encourage everyone else to ignore your stupidity from now on.

Reality
Reality 02/27/09 - 10:17 am
The Senator from IL., good

The Senator from IL., good choice for an honest respectable black man....If a black man shoots a white man it is murder, the other way around it is murder and a hate crime with stiffer penalty...What is the percentage of whites on the Continent of Africa? That whole continent is a savage wasteland......

soldout
soldout 02/27/09 - 10:20 am
Is there anyone thankful for

Is there anyone thankful for slavery that got them to this country rather than still living in the jungle. How many would rather still be in the jungle. Hasn't a bad thing like slavery actually turned out well for a lot of folks. There is no hope for a for a person that always sees the glass half empty and where everything is someone else's fault. It has always been a spiritual problem that looks racial. It can only be fixed in the spiritual realm. Laws and rights create opportunity for success; not success. The strength of this country is freedom not diversity. There is a restaurant on Washington road with no diversity that has great food and great service. How is that possible?

Hoss4
Hoss4 02/27/09 - 10:21 am
Hey JUSTUS, I'm white and

Hey JUSTUS, I'm white and guess who I voted for in the 2000 primaries: Alan Keyes. Yeah, you and your fellow racist black friends probably hate people like Mr. Keyes, Michael Steele, JC Watts, Herman Cain, etc. They dont support laziness and dont see things as black and white, like you do on everything. You are an absolute disgrace to your race, pal.

joeuser
joeuser 02/27/09 - 10:28 am
Well said, Soldout!

Well said, Soldout!

LittleLady
LittleLady 02/27/09 - 10:35 am
Those of you who can't think

Those of you who can't think beyond your perceived racism in America, stop dwell on your skin color. Why do you give others so much power over your happiness? The recentment you carry must make you so unhappy. Why not use your energy into bettering yourself? Work harder and become more successful. After all this country actually give you helping hand when you belong to one of the minority groups.

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/27/09 - 10:37 am
Gee MIDWEST, if it's so

Gee MIDWEST, if it's so terrible down here, feel free to take your whining [filtered word] back to the midwest. I'm sure racism doesn't exist in the lily white farm communities in Kansas and Nebraska. And JUSTUS, funny how you conveniently left the part out about an AFRICAN-AMERICAN beating a white candidate and getting elected in this racist nation. Funny also how I'm told that if I say the "N" word, it's racist. But if an African-American says it, that's okay. That, to me, is totally racist. Please, educate me about the difference.

americafirst
americafirst 02/27/09 - 10:38 am
Justus, there won't even be

Justus, there won't even be one minority senator very soon. Burris the Boob will be gone very shortly.

WClark40
WClark40 02/27/09 - 10:39 am
Once again the "Elites" have

Once again the "Elites" have us where they want us.Here's the premise.Basically all people really want to do is provide food and shelter for themselves and their family and hopefully leave their children better off than they were.That's universal amongst us all.Most arguments and diasagreements of a serious nature[Not who's going to win Tech or Georgia]fall along economic lines.If we could only see that while the public expends so much energy on the "Racial Issue" which I am not attempting to downplay, the so called 4% elite class continues to rape this country of its wealth!!Why do you believe the phrase there's never a depression for the rockefellers came into existence.Yet if the economy gets a cold the poor man gets the flu.When the middle and lower classes realize that its The Dollar Bill that really splits us [In my opinion]then the real questions and debates will emerge.

teharper428
teharper428 02/27/09 - 10:42 am
And, while we're at it, how

And, while we're at it, how about those ungrateful native americans, if europeans had not come to this land and killed your ancestors you'd still be living in teepees and living off the land. (snark, of course) I can't believe soldout came up with his statement and then joe thought it was well said, unbelievable.....

corgimom
corgimom 02/27/09 - 10:45 am
Justus, when my son and I

Justus, when my son and I lived in the projects in Columbia (that would be Woodland Terrace), my son was racially profiled 3 times by the police. Because we were white in a black project. He was stopped and was going to be arrested because he was- ready for this?- walking home from work, in broad daylight, and talking on a cell phone. So they were sure he was a drug dealer.
2nd scenario- cops came to Woodland Terrace to arrest a man that they had a warrant for. The description was white, 5'8", 190 pounds, blond hair. The cop grabbed my son and put him in handcuffs. My son is 6', 145 lbs, dark brown hair. But he was white, so the cops thought it was the right one. 3rd time- he was standing outside our condo talking to a neighbor. He had his dog on a leash. A pickup truck pulls up, 5 armed and armored police officers jump out with a battering ram. Drug raid, on the condo next door to where he was standing. He was tackled and handcuffed, and his dog nearly was shot. Because my son was white, the cops thought he was a dealer. Racial profiling isn't just done to blacks, but that doesn't fit in with your feelings of persecution, does it?

Hoss4
Hoss4 02/27/09 - 10:48 am
Here is what a lot of our

Here is what a lot of our young people are listening to these days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZjHPHsrs54&feature=related

These two really seem like they are trying to move past the racial divide. I love how the N word(s) and f bombs are used so eloquently. hahahaha