We shouldn't pay for the irresponsible

I am very angry and concerned about the current bailout mentality. Why am I paying my mortgage? Why am I struggling to meet obligations and save for retirement? It seems as if my efforts to be a responsible citizen are being treated with disdain. I am to be punished by being made to pay for those who do not take the responsibility to meet their obligations.

We seem to have forgotten that the corollary to "we have the freedom to do anything we want" is "as long as we accept the consequences of our actions." Far too many in our society don't want to pay a price -- any price -- for immature, irresponsible behavior. Moreover, they expect government to bail them out, never realizing that the government's ability to do so is on the backs of others!

Do I want people to be hungry and homeless? No, I don't, but neither do I believe there should be no consequence to a person's choices. How many people still smoke -- risking lung cancer, emphysema and a myriad of other related diseases, expecting others to be the solution to their medical bills? How many people have unprotected sex, risking sexually transmitted diseases, HIV infection and pregnancy, expecting others to pay the bill for medicines and abortions? How many people won't spend a few minutes per day on exercise, but will risk death or a 24-hour-a-day handicap?

I am tired of feeling used by people who make unfortunate choices. I am tired of feeling abused by people who feel it is my fault for the unfortunate choices of others. In a time of trillion-dollar bailouts, it is time for responsible people to speak out and say; "No more; enough is enough." Our leaders need to make the hard decisions that real leaders are supposed to make, or get out of the way so someone with some courage can do it for them.

Vince Colwell

Martinez

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 02/25/09 - 04:13 am
We've been paying (and will

We've been paying (and will continue to do so for a while) for the irresponsible antics of Bush for a while, why didn't you speak up then?

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 02/25/09 - 05:48 am
How long will it be before

How long will it be before the left stops blaming Bush and admits that their own savior is spending like a drunken sailor?

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 02/25/09 - 05:54 am
Mornin, Abdullah. Republicans

Mornin, Abdullah. Republicans need to reread the second paragraph of the LTE and apply it to themselves. You had your freedom for 8 years, now you must accept the consequences of your actions.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/25/09 - 06:48 am
The consequences of being

The consequences of being attacked by radical Muslims and the left wing press is a Marxist president? Damn, freedom is very expensive.

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 02/25/09 - 06:53 am
The "consequences" of

The "consequences" of President Bush were eight years of safety from terrorist attacks in the US, a Dow Jones that hit 14,000 (it is half that under President Obama), and winning two wars (We are now "stalemated" in Afghanistan under President Obama and are about to walk away from victory in Iraq). Elections do, indeed, have consequences.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 02/25/09 - 07:19 am
GAC doesn't like the

GAC doesn't like the consequences of the decisions in his life. He feels that others make too much money because of their decisions and that HE has a right to their money and lifestyle because they are supposed to work hard for HIM. Get over it GAC, you are lower class and will always be lower class no matter how much money the government throws to you. Your vote is bought at a very cheap price. You say you were a Republican at one time and now are not. I have a suspicion that you thought being a Republican was going to bring you lots of money and it didn't. It is a combination of all the choices you have personally made that put you where you are. Live with those choices instead of expecting others to make it better for you.

CH
CH 02/25/09 - 07:49 am
So, GACOP, consequences mean

So, GACOP, consequences mean I have to pay for some idiot that bought a 1/2 million $ home when he could only pay for a 1/4 million $ home? You made absolutely no argument why we have to pay for these people's poor financial decisions. I paid my mortgage and never asked for help. I don't live in a mansion, but never thought I needed one. Now I feel like a sucker for abiding by the financial rules of society, living within my means. And TRUCKINRANGER, if you think we're paying now, you haven't seen anything yet when all the bills from this porkulus, I mean, stimulus package come due!

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/25/09 - 08:04 am
If we indeed stop paying for

If we indeed stop paying for the irresponsible, this country will become a one party system. Demoncrats will have to disappear. I guess the war on terror is over. Don't recall hearing it mentioned once last night.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/25/09 - 08:06 am
Careful OT....you could be

Careful OT....you could be responsible for his next hissy fit.

Talkatoast
Talkatoast 02/25/09 - 08:37 am
Wealthy envy, indeed, GAC.

Wealthy envy, indeed, GAC. Won't stop calling you envious until you admit it. Pathetic...

Talkatoast
Talkatoast 02/25/09 - 08:38 am
Conclusion: corrupted

Conclusion: corrupted government, and we should all accept that we'll probably be like Brave New World in the next decade or so.

rufus
rufus 02/25/09 - 09:26 am
I'll feed my neighbor and let

I'll feed my neighbor and let him live with me while he gets back on his feet. I won't pay his mortgage.

Signal Always
Signal Always 02/25/09 - 10:19 am
Democrats have controlled

Democrats have controlled Congress since January of '07, GAC. Republicans only controlled for 6 years.

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/25/09 - 10:34 am
Caddie, to answer your

Caddie, to answer your question, yes, some will still blame Bush and some will hold O accountable. The polls mean very little. Bush had a soaring rating early in his administration, and obviously enough to beat Kerry in 04. Ratings, like milk, can sour overnight. When the American people see what this porkulus, I mean, stimilus package will cost us for generations to come, that will be the end of O's magic. Hopefully that truth will set in soon.

justus4
justus4 02/25/09 - 10:44 am
Imagine being a slave and

Imagine being a slave and having every effort U make, would benefit someone else. Wow! That musta been a terrible burden and if U over-analyzed your situation, U probably would not be able to endure. So slaves always focused on the greater good and the benefit to the country. None lived to see their efforts rewarded in this country. The LTE talks about "irresponsible people"and "tired of being used" well, his views are shallow and self-centered dripping with Me, Me, Me. There are only two kinds of people; winners and losers. This guy is a loser.

ITDoc
ITDoc 02/25/09 - 10:49 am
Trukin Ranger either cannot

Trukin Ranger either cannot read or chooses to ignore the many times his critique has been rebutted. More stinky bait.

ITDoc
ITDoc 02/25/09 - 10:52 am
Take all the money from

Take all the money from everyone. The wealthy will become wealthy again. It's what they do. The poor will still be poor, it's what they do. Crash this system of artificial price and wage supports. People aren't buying products, goods and services because they cannot pay for them. This will force layoffs. This will force bankruptcies. This will force closures of businesses that overcharge and underpay. This will force creation of new businesses with lower wages and lower priced goods and services. The best part about it, it will force the people who caused the problem (all of us over the age of say 18) to suffer the consequences and rebuild a system our descendants can grow.

ITDoc
ITDoc 02/25/09 - 10:56 am
Generations of American

Generations of American Presidents espoused savings. Now our "leaders" want us to spend so badly, they are going to force banks to lend to those who have proven already they are not credit worthy. Give more to banks, so they can make more bad loans, so more people lose credit ratings, so banks can write off bad debts, so government can give more to banks, so they can make more bad loans, so more people lose credit ratings, so banks can write off bad debts, so gov...... I applaud all American's that AREN'T buying a car or house or HDTV because they fear they cannot pay for the purchase. Keep your cash. It's insured even if the banks fail.

ITDoc
ITDoc 02/25/09 - 10:57 am
Anyone else notice that even

Anyone else notice that even though GM and Chrysler are in deep kaka, there are no price reductions on their products? Thanks Barry.

collegekid
collegekid 02/25/09 - 10:58 am
Yea the banks are to blame

Yea the banks are to blame for lending money that they knew the people wouldn't be able to afford. And now that it has cought up to them, they should be just as responsible as the people that bought the house they didn't need. An old saying "How much land does one man need? Six feet."

ITDoc
ITDoc 02/25/09 - 10:59 am
Most folks want to save the

Most folks want to save the US auto industry. Why? The majority of people bought foreign cars? Let's just let them build more plants here and employ us. I'm told the foreign cars are higher quality anyway. Why support an industry that overpays its workers, overcharges for the product, and produces sloppy work? It's the Obobblehead Way!

SusieQ
SusieQ 02/25/09 - 11:22 am
Hope all you people that

Hope all you people that voted for Obama listened to his speech and got a good look at Pelosi grinning like a possum last night! I don't trust that woman at all!!!! It's gonna be a long four years, folks! SusieQ

griesella
griesella 02/25/09 - 11:37 am
What did we expect from a man

What did we expect from a man who says "I believe the nation that invented the automobile cannot walk away from it". The man doesn't even know history.

aftbrn
aftbrn 02/25/09 - 11:37 am
I want to chose who I help,

I want to chose who I help, the goverment should not be dictating to me how my nmoney is to be spent. The fat cats in washington are so out of touch with us we will all be there slaves forever.

griesella
griesella 02/25/09 - 11:39 am
SusieQ.Fox and Friends had

SusieQ.Fox and Friends had Pelosi along with a "bong sound every time she went up and down. Also with the scowl on Biden's face when he had tp stand every time she did. The village idiots surrounding the court jester.

johnsmith
johnsmith 02/25/09 - 11:47 am
Bush got 4 years of

Bush got 4 years of republican majority in both houses of Congress. He should have done better in those 4 years, rather than continue trying to buy approval from liberals. I'm safe in posting this link here, because I know that liberals' skin develops boils if they even see a picture of Malkin: http://townhall.com/columnists/MichelleMalkin/2009/02/25/those_foreclosu... Just a little reportage on some actual JOURNALISM that has been done on the mortgage "victims" we're all bailing out...

johnsmith
johnsmith 02/25/09 - 11:55 am
ACES, please put an "ignore"

ACES, please put an "ignore" button in the forum code. We need this function. Either that, or just give justus his own little button that autofills the comment form: "The __________ issue is an example of how the white man is once again trying to dominate minorities in the area of _________. The racist, all-white media will not tell you how noble, virtuous African American people are doing the right thing with respect to ________. Those media criminals refuse to acknowledge any responsibility that white people bear for having had slaves, which was a direct cause of ________ _________ and is why we are now having to deal with _________. How would you like it if you were minding your own business, taking care of _________, and then those evil white devils came along and took your _________? You white people cannot even imagine how black people feel about _______, so sit down, shut up, open your wallets, and leave the decision-making to your betters." Does that about cover it, justus?

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 02/25/09 - 11:58 am
As I recall, Clinton had to

As I recall, Clinton had to battle Republican idiots for his terms, including Good Ole Newt pressing for impeachment while doing the exact same thing. Republicans had 6 years under Bush, with the remaining two having a stalemate, essentially. Republicans can't tell the truth, if their lives depended on it. They live in De Nile....... As for bailing out homeowners, most of those losing houses were either flippers and speculators, or have lost their jobs. Republican accusations that it was all people who bought more than they could are not backed by facts, as I can find, but you go ahead and reap the benefits of not losing more property value, because mortgages will be saved and foreclosures slowed, while complaining about it. Typical Republicans. You'll not turn down any benefits you get, but you'll still whine....whaaa whaaaa whaaa!

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 02/25/09 - 12:06 pm
johnsmith, your recommended

johnsmith, your recommended reading is drivel, written by someone of the same disgusting ilk as Riley, Rush and Hannity. I wouldn't even wipe my butt with the paper that it must have been printed on. You all talk about "wealth envy", while proving, with every word you write, that you feel you are "better" because you have money. I know about social stratification, and know there have been class wars throughout time. Well you Repubs who scream "Let them eat cake".....November2 was your Bastille Day. Suffer your consequences, learn how to become human(you're not) and SHUT UP!

collegekid
collegekid 02/25/09 - 12:17 pm
GAC, Johnsmith does not say

GAC, Johnsmith does not say he is better because he has money he is just makin a point to justus. What are our consequences by the way? Are they having to live with paying more taxes, living with a socialist society, and bailing out people that aren't resopnsible or consequences or the Dems?