'Seeds from Sower' founder dies

Michael Guido, who founded a radio and TV ministry that spread the Christian message across the globe and drew thousands of visitors each year to the small town of Metter, Ga., died Saturday at Candler County Hospital. He was 94.

Dr. Guido broadcast his Seeds From the Sower radio program from Metter, population 3,800, for more than 50 years. The Sower Ministry's programs are aired on 423 radio stations and 94 TV stations, according to the ministry's Web site. A print ministry mails monthly sermon series to 33,000 addresses and prints more than 1.5 million pieces of literature annually. A column, also titled Seeds From the Sower, is published in 1,300 newspapers.

The ministry is also known for Guido Gardens, a Metter landmark that draws about 50,000 visitors a year. The gardens were designed by Augusta landscape architect Roger Davis.

Each December an event now known as the Nights of Lights attracts more than 40,000 people to the gardens, where Jesus' birth is celebrated with about 2 million lights and dozens of displays.

Dr. Guido began his ministry in his native Ohio after attending a Baptist revival service when he was 19. He said that he was touched by the message of a loving God, not a fear of hell, and he enrolled soon after at a Bible college in Chicago.

He eventually moved his ministry to Metter. In 1957, while his wife, Audrey, was recovering in a hospital from a car accident, the Guidos noticed a lack of Christian radio programming. With donations and support from friends, they began recording sermons and short meditations, offering them free to area stations.

"Audrey, let us promise God we will never ask for money over the air, mail or in person. 'Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you,' " Dr. Guido recalled telling his wife in a 2005 interview with The Chronicle.

Linda Macky, of North Augusta, was among those who were touched by Dr. Guido.

"I celebrate his life with joy in my heart as I recall the difference he made in my life as I grew up hearing his messages and then later to come to know him," she said in an e-mail to friends Sunday. "The seeds that he planted in so many hearts have made such a wonderful difference in so very many lives I am sure."

Visitation will be from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday at the ministry's gardens on Georgia Highway 121 in Metter. Funeral services will be at 3 p.m. Sunday at the gardens. Kennedy Morgan Brannen funeral home in Metter is in charge of arrangements.

Morris News Service reports were used in this article.

Reach Bill Norton at (706) 823-3341 or bill.norton@augustachronicle.com.

laprince
laprince 02/23/09 - 02:38 am
Great and wonderful spiritual

Great and wonderful spiritual man. I was always captivated by his messages. He always gave a GOOD WORD... Heaven is rejoicing!!! Awesome man of God and much loved. Lived a good and long life. I give him 5 STARS *****. Will be missed greatly.

WISE-OLE-OWL
WISE-OLE-OWL 02/23/09 - 06:42 am
A GIANT has left us. Well

A GIANT has left us. Well done, thy good and faithful servant.

Lakefront1
Lakefront1 02/23/09 - 07:02 am
Amen!

Amen!

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 02/23/09 - 08:18 am
Enjoy your peaceful rest.

Enjoy your peaceful rest.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 02/23/09 - 08:18 am
He allowed God to use him

He allowed God to use him mightily in a great way, he will truly be missed. Thank you Dr. Guido.

nofrillls13
nofrillls13 02/23/09 - 08:31 am
God has taken him home and I

God has taken him home and I will miss him and his message. May he rest in peace!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/23/09 - 08:34 am
Those little "seeds" were

Those little "seeds" were something I remember from my childhood. They played them early Saturday mornings during the cartoons...he was always so easy to listen to...not preachy but comforting, like a father or grandfather...very much a good way to spread the Good Word.

Edward1968
Edward1968 02/23/09 - 09:11 am
Ditto on what Brad said; I

Ditto on what Brad said; I remember it well. I never met Dr. Guido but I could tell he was a great Christian man. He has touched many lives by setting a tremendous example of how a Christian should live.

Holdem
Holdem 02/23/09 - 09:30 am
Go rest high on that mountain

Go rest high on that mountain Dr Guido.......

SusieQ
SusieQ 02/23/09 - 10:02 am
I was fortunate enough to

I was fortunate enough to have known Dr. Guido and his wife Audrey. Wonderful people. He will be missed by all who knew him. Just to go sit in the little chapel at the gardens brought peace to me. It was a great place to visit with God- you could feel his presents there. SusieQ

SusieQ
SusieQ 02/23/09 - 10:05 am
AC-- Please take the egg off

AC-- Please take the egg off the article of Dr. Guido. He was a great man of God and I hate seeing that thing popping open on his death announcement. SusieQ

curly123053
curly123053 02/23/09 - 10:07 am
An Angel has been called Home

An Angel has been called Home ! He served God well !

undetected
undetected 02/23/09 - 10:15 am
God bless you Mr. GUido. It

God bless you Mr. GUido. It was always so inspirational to hear you. You allowed God to use you and thats what I desire as well. Thank you and may the famiy find comfort and peace in knowing that you knew your true father.

christian134
christian134 02/23/09 - 10:17 am
Rest in peace Michael

Rest in peace Michael Guido...I have never forgotten your dedication for your ministry as well as the peaceful beauty of the place you created for the people dedicated to God...You will be missed greatly...

FAIR TAX Now
FAIR TAX Now 02/23/09 - 10:52 am
Just as Brad said the Seeds

Just as Brad said the Seeds from the Sower was something I can remember as clear as anything from my childhood. The little tune that went with it was so neat to hear. He was probably the biggest name Pastor we ever had come speak at our little church in Sparta, GA when I was young and growing up there. His coming created an excitement in the town cause everyone knew who he was from television. He was a great speaker and spoke God's message in a soothing tone that touched a lot of lives. I remember when traveling for work one day I was close to Metter, GA and I got off of I-16 just to ride by and look at his facility in Metter. I will miss him dearly and may God continue to bless his family.

WClark40
WClark40 02/23/09 - 11:04 am
I enjoyed him on saturday

I enjoyed him on saturday morning he did great work for people I'll miss him.

joeuser
joeuser 02/23/09 - 11:04 am
Here is someone I TRULY

Here is someone I TRULY RESPECT; he did not get on television and beg for money and tell us how many people were supposed to give $1,000 that day. He used short little broadcasts and gave them away for free. I remember listening to his little sermonettes during commercial breaks on Saturday morning cartoon time. His messages were timely and probably were the only Word that many of us got during those times in our lives.

Dan White 02/23/09 - 11:05 am
One of the great evangelists

One of the great evangelists in Christendom who conducted his ministry with integrity and open books. Never begged for money but trusted God to provide and He did. Thousands came to faith in Christ through his ministry - Maybe millions. A true man of God now enjoying the real fruit of his ministry with the Lord above.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 02/23/09 - 11:23 am
Dr. Guido practiced what he

Dr. Guido practiced what he preached and lived a life of love. He was an example to all and he will be missed.

angel of mercy
angel of mercy 02/23/09 - 11:34 am
This man made a difference in

This man made a difference in my life. I lived by his words. They were the most profound words that I have ever heard. He will be truly missed. May his new life be even more richer now that he has made his way to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. God Bless his family.

minime
minime 02/23/09 - 11:36 am
Memories from childhood,

Memories from childhood, hearing the "seeds from the sower", birds chirping and a simple, clear message that didn't last long enough to "offend" even the deftest of ears.... more messengers need to heed this example. Thoughts & prayers go with him, his family, and his ministry (which s/be everyones ministry).

karmakills123
karmakills123 02/23/09 - 11:38 am
When traveling home to FL

When traveling home to FL each Christmas we drive through Metter and often stop at Guido Gardens it's lovely...............God Bless you Dr. Guido!

GET REAL1
GET REAL1 02/23/09 - 04:07 pm
I remember hearing the

I remember hearing the message from Dr Guido and though I was a child the words made sense and were inspirational

mable8
mable8 02/23/09 - 07:29 pm
Although I am not a

Although I am not a christian, Michael Guido's radio show was inspirational and worthy of note. I think his simplistic method of delivering universal messages of good will be missed by many, regardless of their spiritual and religious ideals.

Motorman5039
Motorman5039 02/24/09 - 12:06 am
I grew up listening to "Seed

I grew up listening to "Seed from the Sower"...Really inspiring messages, he will be missed...

artsy fartsy
artsy fartsy 02/24/09 - 12:21 pm
I heard Dr. Guido speak at

I heard Dr. Guido speak at the Georgia Southern Baptist Student Union about 3 years ago. He gave a wonderful message and he was so kind. He did great things in his lifetime. We'll miss him.

JordanZeh
JordanZeh 02/27/09 - 03:35 pm
This is ashame. Dr. Guido

This is ashame. Dr. Guido was a great man, but I do believe his protege Jordan Zeh will be great at continuing what he started. Bitttersweet. RIP MG!!!!, but look forward to new Sower Jordan Zeh.

MtnMan
MtnMan 02/27/09 - 07:15 pm
Graham and Guido the very

Graham and Guido the very best !

americanveteran
americanveteran 02/27/09 - 10:39 pm
I know that his arrival in

I know that his arrival in Heaven will be wonderful and JESUS will meet him and say "Good job, faithful servant"!

gcap
gcap 03/01/09 - 12:16 pm
His smile and and calm

His smile and and calm demeaner always suggested to me that Rev. Guido had heaven on earth. Wow! He did good work.

Weekly crime map, database

Violent crimes for the past week included 102 assaults, four of which was classified as aggravated assaults. The most assaults in a single day, 22, occurred on Aug. 17.