Saving America: Time to hit the streets?

Jim DeMint's gentlemanly air and refined tone belie a power and an urgency in his words.

The stately senator from South Carolina sees America's unique centuries-old system of freedom dying out.

And he thinks we may have to take to the streets to save it.

"I would think it's time to start thinking about peaceful demonstrations," he told us last week.

Seriously?

"Seriously.

"The power of the people is there. Freedom is in the people's hands right now, and it's about to slip through."

Of course, the recent "stimulus" debate is what's fresh on DeMint's mind. Despite DeMint's putting 15 aides on it overnight, no one in Washington was able to read the bill, which was the most expensive in American history -- as well as being perhaps the most irresponsible.

The worst since the adoption of the income tax, DeMint figures.

It's not just the amount of money involved, some $780 billion -- although that, alone, is corrosive enough to American freedom. "I've seen it happen inside government agencies: 'What can we do to get it spent?' It's the only way (the agencies can get money)," DeMint says. "I see that happen in Afghanistan and Iraq, where our aid programs are basically based on people being able to spend the money within a certain period of time so we can say we did something. And it just leads to a bunch of waste."

Perhaps even worse than the money is the strings that come with it. It's the growth of the federal government's reach and influence too. The "stimulus" bill has increased the federal role in, among other things, education -- and gets the government's nose fully in the tent of private medical decisions.

The slab has been poured underneath what some want to become nationalized health care.

"Your medical treatments will be tracked electronically by a federal system," writes Betsy McCaughey, adjunct senior fellow at the Hudson Institute. "Having electronic medical records at your fingertips, easily transferred to a hospital, is beneficial. It will help avoid duplicate tests and errors.

"But the bill goes further. One new bureaucracy, the National Coordinator of Health Information Technology, will monitor treatments to make sure your doctor is doing what the federal government deems appropriate and cost effective. The goal is to reduce costs and 'guide' your doctor's decisions."

In short, rationing.

In truth, the leviathan that is the stimulus bill is just the most recent in a chain of actions by an aristocratic and arrogant Washington that is eroding our freedoms.

With our tacit permission.

"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism," American socialist Norman Thomas famously once said, "but under the name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened."

DeMint sees it -- from a front-row seat in the U.S. Senate.

"We're being drawn in with a lot of promises -- and the fact that so many people are already dependent on the government and so few actually pay taxes," DeMint says.

Sadly, DeMint saw that dependence in full bloom -- in the faces of South Carolina leaders who tried to twist his arm to vote for the stimulus bill to get their own goodies.

"Just about everybody who came in my office, even the mayors from all over the state, they would usually say, 'DeMint, I agree with you -- this is a bad bill. But it's got this in here for us, and we want our piece.'"

Historically, the federal government has been about 18 percent of the gross domestic product. By next year, it could grow to nearly 40 percent, according to Newsweek .

"The late sociologist Seymour Lipset," writes National Review editor Rich Lowry, "wrote a brilliant book on why the U.S. didn't embrace socialism, called It Didn't Happen Here. In a few years, its conclusion might look premature."

DeMint is hopeful -- but not when he looks around Capitol Hill.

"I've become increasingly aware that the thoughtful, well-informed leaders are very few and far between in the Congress -- people who seem to be well-read and continuing to kind of grow their skills. It's become rhetorical and political ..."

Instead, DeMint is looking to the people -- where he still sees a "remnant" of freedom-loving still stirring.

Only a remnant?

"That's all it is," he concludes. "But that's all it takes.

"Freedom is in our hands; it always has been. We've entrusted it to people in Washington, and increasingly they have picked our pockets and pulled power from us. We're just going to have to take it back.

"The real shame of all this is, I feel Republicans had said that we were going to carry that banner of freedom -- and they completely betrayed that. And it's going to be hard to get it back."

But with all except three Republicans in Congress voting against the stimulus bill, perhaps getting that banner back has started. There are a few rising conservative stars on the national scene, including Reps. Jeff Flake of Arizona, Jeb Hensarling of Texas and Mike Pence of Indiana.

Still, DeMint says star power isn't what we need. "I think what we need to look for first is to find the principles that will bring us together. I'm not looking for a face right now."

One thing he is looking for is a strong governor or two.

States need to stop putting their hands out to the federal government and start pushing it away, DeMint figures -- and maybe start questioning some of the modern dogma that says the feds can prevent offshore drilling, or withhold gas tax money or inject themselves as much as they want in education, health care and other issues.

Don't hold your breath.

The sad fact is, the people who understand American freedom can't rely on their leaders anymore.

"Really, I think the hope right now is not in Congress to make the right decision, cause they're not," DeMint says. "It's just whether or not the American people are going to stand up and say enough is enough.

"People don't need to look to Washington. It's the people's government. And the people are going to have to take it back. They can do it with their voices and with their votes -- and they may have to do it with their legs. People are going to have to show that they're not going to take it anymore."

By "legs," he means what you think he does.

Demonstrations.

Noting the tactics of left-wing organizations such as Code Pink, which like to send handfuls of noisy people to a lawmaker's office, DeMint suggests such things do get the attention of congressmen and senators.

"I think some of these folks might think twice if they had several hundred people standing outside one of their state offices asking, 'What in the world are you thinking?' "

If that doesn't work, there's plenty of room on the boulevard.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 02/23/09 - 08:26 am
barry hussein promises to

barry hussein promises to bring home troops - then promises 17,000 will be put in Afghanistan. *** pbho promises there will be no lobbyists -- how many are there now, 20? *** pbho promises there will be transparency -- then passes/signs bills with no observation. *** pbho says can't spend our way out of oil crisis - but promises to spend our way out of economic crisis. *** pbho promises the best cabinet/administration - then appoints liars, thieves, racists, tax cheats who don't pay their taxes, socialists, etc., etc. *** pbho tells US citizens they must turn down thermostat - then turns his to 82. *** pbho tells the citizens they must conserve - then flies all over the place with no regard to the cost. *** This is just a few but what should we have expected when he showed his true socialist/marxist Chicago thug mentality before he was elected and the blind and gullible followers continue to make excuses. Hang on because it's going to be one heck of a ride.

curly123053
curly123053 02/23/09 - 10:16 am
convertedsoutherner, I got my

convertedsoutherner, I got my seatbelt on but I don't think it will be tight enough for this ride.

jedex6
jedex6 02/23/09 - 01:17 pm
Go ahead,

Go ahead, convertedsoutherner, parrot the invective and race-baiting nonsense you hear out of the pig man's (Limbaugh's) pie hole. It is all your simple mind is capable of. March in lockstep like the little Nazi skinhead that you are.

carbar4647
carbar4647 02/23/09 - 04:53 pm
I will join this fight in a

I will join this fight in a heartbeat. I have lost confidence in the "leadership" of my country and firmly believe we have the biggest collection of CROOKS running it. That is a non-partisan statement and includes all of them. This country needs a REVOLUTION and it needs it soon. I have always loved and respected America and that respect is almost gone. I am 62 years old and am glad I am on this end of my life so I, hopefully, will not see the land I love go down the tubes. This "stimulus" bill shows the pork and earmarks that they all look for and they get their raises from us for doing nothing but screwing us even more. Incompetence should not be rewarded. We, as citizens do not stand a chance and this "stimulus" bill is not going to help. Let's flush the toilet and never vote for an incumbant again. Even new meat couldn't do as bad a job as the current lot. Obama is not going to help the situation. I am afraid the media's messiah is going to turn out to be a piranah. We are screwed and nobody seems to give a damn. Death be quick.

wellladida
wellladida 02/23/09 - 05:55 pm
teharper, Sadly you are part

teharper, Sadly you are part of the problem. You fail to see that the real violation here is that the stimulus package was forced through, with no one able to read the bill before it was voted on, in violation of Congress's own rules on a 48-hour review before a vote. This was shoved down our throats intentionally so that debate had to be limited, while writers of this bill knowingly included items that are such vast freedom-limiting reforms the American people would demand debate on these issues. This bill was so "urgent" that Obama waited almost 3 days to sign it. This was an abhorrent misuse of power by Congress, and yet you are all too willing to just let them have it, misuse it, and run your life for you. That is pathetic.

Granmare
Granmare 02/23/09 - 06:57 pm
Now hear this! I am older

Now hear this! I am older than dirt, but I swear, I could run this country better than all the thugs in government.
It matters not which party you support, they all have the same agenda.....making money for themselves and their special interests. So please stop the bickering about who is a liberal and who is conservative, because we're ALL being taken to the cleaners! When are you going to wise up to that! They don't care about your welfare or your children's future, they are in office to make money for themselves and get re-elected. With the exception of a very few honorable statesmen, that's the cold hard facts people!
Don't you keep up with what your representatives are doing? Have you checked lately? Have they passed ANY bill that will make America strong again. I suspect you have to answer no!
So take the advice of an old lady who has been around the block a few times! You have to take responsibility and control! If something isn't working then you 'change' it (oops! sounds like Obama's slogan). Sitting around doing nothing but argue with one another is not going to get the job done. Yes, it makes you feel better but it doesn't offer solutions! Take America back!

bluetick
bluetick 02/23/09 - 07:32 pm
It takes a real statesman to

It takes a real statesman to stand up to the ever increasing attempt of our elitist socialist President. The silent majority needs to start expressing disapprovement of what is going on. I propose a Tea Party on July 4th in Washington. As a former South Carolinian I am proud of DeMint. Bless him.

revolutionary
revolutionary 02/23/09 - 07:53 pm
It is way more than time to

It is way more than time to hit the streets. DeMint is spot on. What does it matter about the cost of war, whether you are left or right, dem or republican, conservative or liberal, whether you like DeMint or not. Our country is going down the tubes and if we continue to act like this is a fripping ball game and not our very lives and future, we are doomed. I am mad as hell and am not going to sit by while government grows bigger and bigger and my rights diminish more and more. It is time to put a stop to the tyranny in Washington. It is completely out of control and We the People have lost our voices. It is time we took back our job as the bosses. It is absolutely absurd that we have let things get so bad before taking action. Things will only continue to get worse and worse. Are we that apathetic that we are willing to just roll over and take it? Well, not me. As Patrick Henry said, "Give me liberty or give me death." I will hang on to my God-given freedoms as long as I can and it sure would be nice to have others out there who felt the same way. And frankly, I don't care if its peaceful or not. Its time to clean house. Viva La Revolution!

ShadowWalker
ShadowWalker 02/23/09 - 08:59 pm
Any one in S.C. ( Greenville

Any one in S.C. ( Greenville Area, Columbia Area ) getting a group together to do this. If so contact me about time and date it is to be held ( shadowwalker29673@yahoo.com )

iAmerican
iAmerican 02/23/09 - 10:41 pm
Where's DeMint's outrage over

Where's DeMint's outrage over Bush and Cheney's committing 9/11? Smells like another apologist for the defacto fascism that got us into this mess with unconstitutional Federal Reserve fiat-money and fractional banking, compliments of the same Roman Anti-Christ who've made Washington the best government money can buy. Declare Jubilee. Expunge all debt. Restore constitutional money. Hang the Tory traitors who killed John and Martin to send us to die for the pope in Vietnam and who committed 9/11...and their political fronts/bagmen, too. Death for Treason. Jeffersonian Exegesis http://theamericanfundament.blogspot.com

MIDNIGHTCRY
MIDNIGHTCRY 02/23/09 - 10:59 pm
i have observed that not one

i have observed that not one of the comments mentions the only real answer to all of our troubles; prayer.
i don't believe that all of you are unbelievers. if you are, you should say so.

Gringo
Gringo 02/23/09 - 11:51 pm
It's all about responsibility

It's all about responsibility for your actions. EVERYONE, presidents, citizens, politicians, bankers, car companies, motgage brokers, people who overstated their income in order to buy a house they couldn't afford, everyone. I've plopped my hard earned dough down and lost my [filtered word] more than once. Wasn't anyone around to bail me out. i took my lumps and did what I had to till I got back in the saddle. It's good to see so many people shouting "I'M MAD AS HELL AND I AIN'T GONNA' TAKE IT ANYMORE!"
Don't like where you're at in life? Made bad business decisions? Bought a house you can't afford? Living beyond your means? [filtered word] all your money away? Do something about it. Don't expect a bailout! NO DO-OVERS!

As far as noone mentioning prayer, well............
Ever hear the one about the guy in the flood that kept refusing offers of resue while he waited for the Lord to provide. When he got inside the pearly gates he immediately went and found the Lord and asked why he was left to die when he always had always kept faith and prayed throughout his ordeal.
The Lord said, " I sent a helicopter and two boats!"

All I'm sayin' is " THERE'S BOATS AND HELICOPTERS TO BE HAD STILL!

deauxman
deauxman 02/24/09 - 12:00 am
There is a tide of discontent

There is a tide of discontent brewing against the marxist in congress and the impostor acting illegal president. This tide is growing into a tsunami and it will crush you libs and marxist thugs. I say Demint is correct but folks are going to take to the streets and it may be violent. Remember the Alamo!!!

jedex6
jedex6 02/24/09 - 12:27 am
The current prez is not

The current prez is not illegal. Bush was the illegal one. And as far as your tide that is growing, you are a part of the Repub far-right fringe. You cannot crush a bug because you are in the minority and your party is dying out. Demint is a bafoon, and you are an idiot.

ShadowWalker
ShadowWalker 02/24/09 - 06:47 pm
First of all there are

First of all there are several reason's Obama is not our President (1. ) he was not born in Hawaii -Hawaii has 2 certificaions they issue, the one Obama has anyone in the world can get if they move to Hawaii and live there for one year it is the Certification of Live Birth the 2nd one is a birth certificate that is issued to someone born on U.S./Hawaiin soil. (2.) he has a Kenyan Father thus makes him Illegal to be President due to haveing Dual Citizenships,His Father being a Citizen of the U.K. (3.) He is Illegal due to the fact he became an Indonesian Citizen when he and his mother moved to Indonesia and he had his name legally changed to Barry Soetoro so he could attend Public School ( and he never claimed the Alias when he filled out the Application to run for president ) thus brings up (4.) He is in office Illegally for he hasn't proved what his actual name is there are no records of haveing his name changed back to Barack Obama (5.) He has spent tons of money blocking and covering up all documents to his past , he spent 800,000.00 to keep his Long form in Hawaii from being seen when a 12.00 copy of the long form would have settled that fact. So try to explain why he did it

crackerjack
crackerjack 02/25/09 - 09:34 am
"You cannot legislate the

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

corgimom
corgimom 02/25/09 - 11:07 am
ShadowWalker, this has been

ShadowWalker, this has been beaten to death. I have asked this question repeatedly and no one can answer it. If he wasn't born in Hawaii, why isn't his birth registered with the State Deparment, like mine is?

ShadowWalker
ShadowWalker 02/26/09 - 04:12 am
Corgimom - My Post has that

Corgimom - My Post has that answer that Question he paid $800,000.00 to hide the long form that will/would show he was not born in Hawaii and he has hired about 10 lawyers to keep everything from his past away from the Public and others eyes here is one link you can read - http://skylla2012.wordpress.com/2009/02/20/obama-has-spent-800000-keepin... and another is this about his colledge records - http://citizensagainstproobamamediabias.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/occiden...
If he would just let the documents be seen it would all end but he is spending millions to keep his records buried because he knows he isnt elligable to be the president. so now you can say you have gotten the answer.

DMac_357
DMac_357 02/26/09 - 04:42 pm
I would love to see some of

I would love to see some of you out there demonstrating instead of posting/whining in here. What neither DeMint nor you understand is that you're too comfortable to demonstrate. You've gotten fat off the land for years and now someone's asking you to get off your butts and demonstrate?? DeMint must be crazy. Republicans demonstrating; I'd love to see that happen.

ShadowWalker
ShadowWalker 02/26/09 - 08:54 pm
DMac - if you look up the

DMac - if you look up the posts I have asked for a group in Greenville S.C. or In Columbia S.C. area's and the 10th post before this one is the one I asked. I do come back to see if there is a group answering the post.

Tell it like it is
Tell it like it is 03/02/09 - 10:08 am
teharper,you is nuts.

teharper,you is nuts.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 03/02/09 - 11:33 am
Folks if Sanford & DeMint are

Folks if Sanford & DeMint are the best you can produce, then Woe to SC! You will always be in the bottom 5% of IQ in the USA. And with Sonny & Saxby, there is not much more improvement. And that's what I like about the South!!!!!!!

ShadowWalker
ShadowWalker 03/02/09 - 05:15 pm
Niko Mahs - It seems like you

Niko Mahs - It seems like you do not have any idea what makes Americans Bond Together when it starts getting rough. I would suggest you keep your comments about IQ to yourself before you make a fool of yourself and expose your tiny brain cells to the world. One thing for sure is that a Southern Country Boy no matter from what part of the south he is from can surprise most people when it comes to his ability to survive with his Intelligence. And we do not follow people blindly as the Sheople that is following the Usurper Obama and he knows he isn't the president because he has spent millions to keep everthing about his past buried for he knows he isn't qualified by the Constitution to be America's President and we know it, that is why over 300,000 people want to make public his Background. He is the only one that has ever hidden his background knowingly that it would disqualify him.