Club shooting hurts 2, upsets commissioner

A double shooting early Saturday at an Augusta club has at least one Augusta commissioner calling for another review of the business, which officials say has been plagued by criminal activity.

A fight inside Club Platinum, in the 1500 block of North Leg Road, ended with two people being shot outside in a parking lot, said Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Sean Cochran.

He said two groups of "young adults" got into a fight and were asked to leave, and the parking lot shooting followed.

He said the victims were in stable condition at Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

Investigator Cochran said the names of the victims weren't being released, and there were no details on who might have fired the shots.

Augusta Commissioner Joe Bowles said Saturday that he had spoken with an investigator about the shooting and plans to discuss it at the commission's next public safety committee meeting Feb. 16. "I'm going to bring it up again," he said, but first he'll first try to confirm that Saturday's incident originated inside Club Platinum.

He said he would consider a motion to have the club's business license revoked.

"If the fight broke out inside, we owe it to the safety to the citizens of Augusta to force the club owners to be responsible for the parking lot," he said.

Club Platinum owners have gone before commissioners over other violent incidents and offered to provide added security to avoid losing their license.

In August, a shooting occurred in the club's parking lot, the third shooting there in two years.

In November, a 19-year-old woman told police she had been held at gunpoint after trying to leave the club.

Mr. Bowles said he'll also likely bring up another club, Cream, that's just 20 feet away from Club Platinum.

He said that on Wednesday there was a report of someone waving a gun inside Cream. He said the person was later arrested.

"If it were me, I would close down both of those clubs," he said.

Attempts to contact Club Platinum and Cream on Saturday were unsuccessful.

In November, The Chronicle reported that Club Platinum owners had restricted the park- ing lot to one entrance and one exit and that there was a plan to have security staff and volunteers on hand to help man the lot.

Reach Preston Sparks at (706) 823-3338 or preston.sparks@augustachronicle.com

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 02/08/09 - 04:16 am
One can't help but wonder

One can't help but wonder what % of people who go to Club Platinum and Club Cream are generational walfare. Does anyone know?

As It Is
As It Is 02/08/09 - 05:00 am
Lets get this straight, a

Lets get this straight, a couple of persons started to argue and potentially fight inside the club so staff promptly removed them and told them to leave the property. Instead, some thug pulls out a gun and shoots. Therefore Joe Bowles wants to hold the club responsible for the actions of an idiot thug even though it is obvious the club was doing their best to provide security and enforce rules. Is the mall held to the same level of acountability? When a man was beaten senseless inside Sears bathroom for no reason, who from the commission blamed Sears. Now, the one part of the article that should get the attention of the commission is the 19 year old girl. If either club is knowlingly allowing minors to enter, then go after them for that but to blame a club or any business for the actions of their patrons if they are taking reasonable steps in security is ridiculous. That club should no more be held accountable for the actions of that patron the ARC should be held accountable for all of the fights, weapons, beatings, robberies, etc. that happen on their campus which certainly doesn't have enough security with one campus police officer. Overeaction without knowledge.

As It Is
As It Is 02/08/09 - 05:06 am
I doubt commissoner Bowles or

I doubt commissoner Bowles or any commissoner has even been in the club, not that I have either or would plan to go. But, it is a business that is meeting the needs of many citizens in the community and when they have hundreds of patrons each week, there are bound to be a few incidents. if the club was trying to hide them, ignore them and not act properly, then they deserve punishment. But, if they are following rules and trying to put people out who fight or cause problems then you must support their actions. Just because it is a black club doesn't make it a bad club. Every High School in Richmond County has more incidents of violence than any club in Augusta including these two but I don't see anyone trying to actually solve the problems in the schools and certainly their isn't a commissoner trying to close them down or revoke their licenses. The BOE has allowed police personnel to be cut and there aren't near enough safety measures in place in any of the schools or the manpower to keep them safe. Put the responsibilty for those who do wrong directly where it belongs - on the individual(s) who break the law or act disorderly not a business owner doing his job.

augustadog
augustadog 02/08/09 - 07:22 am
Leave it open. If you are

Leave it open. If you are dumb enough to go to a place with this kind of history then have fun!

My_2nd
My_2nd 02/08/09 - 07:33 am
keep all the thug clubs open.

keep all the thug clubs open. the crowd they attract usually rids the county of a half a dozen or so criminals each year.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 02/08/09 - 07:43 am
I know we have violence in

I know we have violence in all race's but this is not intended to be a black/white hate each other post. But it seems the black youth are so violent & quick to kill, more than normal. Would someone that is black or has actual prior knowledge of such speak up? I've heard the old...(blame it on their music) & such. I find it alarming that they have no value or care for human life. It seems they will kill or try for anything, kill for disrespect. Who or what is causing them to put no value or care for life? Why must the answer be a gun? It's really clear that they have NO care about the consequence's. It's like..this guy looked at me with disrespect so I MUST kill him..I know I could get life in prison but that does NOT matter because he disrespected me? What makes their idea of respect worth killing & worth years in jail???

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/08/09 - 07:47 am
Joe, I hope this gives you

Joe, I hope this gives you the sixth vote you need. I find it hard to believe that Mrs. Beard would not go along with you on this one. When I had Hale Tiki we had our fair share of shoving matches, a few fist to cuffs fights over 2 years but we never had a shooting or serious injury. Its part of owning a night spot. I remember the club Time Piecez that was on the next block up form me. Thursday nights became 'black college night' there and there was ALWAYS a shooting or HUGE fight there EVERY Thursday. One time after the club closed there was a HUGE fight in Centennial Park across the street and on the base of the Confederate Monument. A 'gangsta' was walking down the street shooting off a pistol in the air! I saw it with my own two eyes. I hustled all our patron inside and called 821-1080 and reported it. Then I got my pistol in case the fight came through my front door. Now, I will not say RACE had anything to do with it but the 'Gangsta' urban culture seems to mean to a certain group that they need to carry guns and cause VIOLENT trouble. I'm not sure if the club is THE problem or the people drawn to the club, but if it was not there, Gangstas wouldn't be there. Close it JOE!!!

BamaMan
BamaMan 02/08/09 - 08:02 am
Nightclubs hold no good

Nightclubs hold no good place, espcecially for a family; believe me, I know.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 02/08/09 - 08:05 am
BamaMan ....My mother's side

BamaMan ....My mother's side of the family all live in Ala. so I know, you all are to busy watching the tide roll to go to a nightclub:) You all are devoted fans, no one can argue that!

Cheech1
Cheech1 02/08/09 - 08:06 am
Anybody wanna bet that the

Anybody wanna bet that the victims won't tell the deputies who shot them?

bone
bone 02/08/09 - 08:08 am
leave the clubs open &

leave the clubs open & require patrons to be armed so they can (ahem) protect themselves if they feel threatened / disrespected.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 02/08/09 - 08:11 am
PTHS ..you right, if they

PTHS ..you right, if they told the law? They would not be able to try & shoot them when they are discharged from the hospital.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 02/08/09 - 08:16 am
How in the hell do you

How in the hell do you compare the mall to a club. First of all there are probably 10 times as many people at a mall at any given times than there are in a club. Second of all the mall does not cater to an environment of alcohol and confusion. What they should do is make it an member only club that way they control who is there and also have a record of who may have participated in any crime.

andywarhol
andywarhol 02/08/09 - 08:18 am
This is why we don't need

This is why we don't need teen clubs either. It just trains them to find that going to "the club" is an acceptable pass time. As an adult, I go to the club to get drunk and find easy women. That's all. The element of violence is always brewing among other young drunks. BTW, if you're over 30 and still in the club something is wrong with you... and don't say "but I like to dance."

suga
suga 02/08/09 - 08:18 am
politicallyncorrect, you are

politicallyncorrect, you are so incorrect, racist, and ignorant. Look back into history and see who was and were violent. How many people of color were killed by the KKK for no reason other than the color of one's skin, or for trying to vote, go to a public school or state college? Law abiding innocent god fearing people. Yes the time and cultures has changed, but where was the justice for the murderers back then and I'm not talking about a very long time ago either. We all should be responsible for our actions no doubt, but the way you judge and paraphase to me is moot. Let one without sin cast the first stone.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 02/08/09 - 08:20 am
A few incidents? You act like

A few incidents? You act like the incidents were theft of an umbrella or cell phone. They are the ones that are mixing alcohol with people that are barely able to wash their own azzes.

karmakills123
karmakills123 02/08/09 - 08:36 am
It would seem that "providing

It would seem that "providing security" would also include the parking lot...it's still a part of the business....armed guards should patrol...if people need this kind of entertainment ..the the business owner is responsible for the (uh.hem) patrons.

atsugua13
atsugua13 02/08/09 - 08:36 am
keep these places open and

keep these places open and running...while the likes of these folks are partying and selling each other dope and cheating on their familys...they are not in my house stealing my stuff

intheknow
intheknow 02/08/09 - 08:38 am
Here we go with this racist

Here we go with this racist B.S. I was in MCG's waiting room when they rolled up with the two guys that were shot. All of a sudden more than 50 so called " Friends" came in and just took over that waiting room. I have been in law enforcement over 20 plus years and granted that I was more concerned than intimidated, I can see how civilians would be. There was blatant talk about 187's and shooting up some one's Grand Mother's house. These punks should not be given an outlet to bolster their thuggish ways. Peer pressure do not work on them. I for one think that shutting them down and having several months of cooling off will help and I agree that a membership type policy may in fact work. They have it in almost every country that I have been to, so I see no reason that it will not work here. You can bet your behinds that there will be more shootings unless those that were detain will cooperate. The reason I said racist is, that regardless of the race a group that large would be intimidating especially considering why they were there.

suga
suga 02/08/09 - 08:39 am
I agree with HYPOCRITES 08.

I agree with HYPOCRITES 08. Make it a members only club with a stiff membership fee, dress code, a limit on how many people members can invite in at a given time and good food, music, parking and security, and the riff- raft, thugish thugs will fine another hold to go to. If it was up to me I would run a background check on all the members b4 I allow membership, and if the patrons get too drunk to drive provide transportation to them, and if they break the rules deduct it from the membership deposit, and bar/suspend them from the property and make the members responsible for their guest. That would create a welcoming, safe, and enjoyable enviornment for all.

bone
bone 02/08/09 - 08:43 am
suga, i'm sure that area is

suga, i'm sure that area is looking for exactly the kind of club you describe: safe, welcoming, enjoyable, with stiff membership fees, a dress code, and an age & occupancy limit. lemme know when your club opens so i can come visit (not).

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/08/09 - 08:45 am
suga, what does KKK

suga, what does KKK lynching’s have to do with this night club shooting? I live and work in Africa and I can tell you that little I have ever seen in my life compares to the level of brutality you see here during times of war and conflict. I can tell you stories that will make the Klan look like the boy scouts. I am talking about ritual tortures associated with tribal warfare. And this is African on African (like these club shootings). So drop that stupid non-sense about how it’s all relative, it’s NOT. No one can justify the KKK lynching’s and you cannot use them to justify these shootings either.

christian134
christian134 02/08/09 - 08:51 am
There is no solution to this

There is no solution to this problem...Alcohol is legal and the drugs are plenteous as air so therefore they are two items that will always have deadly results...To stem the tide is not making membership to clubs available, as there will always be a way around it, but a turning back to God and the family unit...The time has come that with God all but taken out of the picture the pleasures of "whatever feels good" has engulfed the generations...Nothing can compete with the temporary high of alcohol and drugs but God...Think about it people...

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 02/08/09 - 08:53 am
Why wait for a huge tragedy

Why wait for a huge tragedy to happen? Shoulda, woulda, coulda....shut them down, now!

andywarhol
andywarhol 02/08/09 - 08:58 am
Don't shut em down. Leave em

Don't shut em down. Leave em open so the thugs can kill each other. If "innocent" victims know this is a dangerous club and continue to go, then that's a risk they chose to take.

intheknow
intheknow 02/08/09 - 09:03 am
The point is that the

The point is that the violence is not restricted to the inside. A " Innocent victim" can be driving by when a stray bullet strikes them. So granted in a ideal world the thugs will all be expert shooters and no innocent person a victim.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/08/09 - 09:40 am
Yeah, I always see so many

Yeah, I always see so many 'thugs' and 'gangstas' at the pistol range when I go. (Yeah RIGHT!) I love the holding the pistol sideways thing they do that came from Ice-T or Ice Cube or some other street 'warrior'. Hell, here in Africa I still have to convince trainees that there is a chemical reaction that causes a buildup of pressure that forces a metal bullet to move at a high rate of speed and THAT is what actually kills the enemy NOT the sound and flash from the gun. I am not kidding; most of them close their eyes when firing and prefer to use up an entire magazine on automatic without aiming because they REALLY think the SOUND is what kills the other man. You would not believe how hard it is to get them to go to the “One Shot, One Man” mode of thinking. Anyway, ‘gangstas’ and ‘thugs’ never really impressed me with their shooting abilities.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 02/08/09 - 09:47 am
andywarhol ..You are partly

andywarhol ..You are partly correct. If I go to a club, it's to get drunk & easy women:) But I also know of Men & Women who DO NOT drink alcohol at all, Period! But go just to line dance & they do this because they love it..I don't get it? But they do & to them being older it's a good form of excerise & entertainment. When it comes to line dancing your option's are limited. There is also a few of them that are devolt christians & some of the best people I have ever meet. Sounds like you are judging all by the one's you know. Everyone is not a drunk or bar trash..I am but NOT everyone.

Cheech1
Cheech1 02/08/09 - 09:52 am
The only "line dancing" that

The only "line dancing" that happens at Club Platinum is "police line-up dancing".

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 02/08/09 - 09:56 am
andywarhol...Right again

andywarhol...Right again about going to a bar known for firearm violence. I've carried a concealed firearm since I was 21..not in a bar. And there is no way I'm going in a bar where this kind of craph happens. Anyone who does is crazy as he**.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.