'Stunning hypocrisy'

We certainly want to support our new president wherever we can.

One area we agree on, for instance, is the need to aggressively "wage peace," if you will, in the Mideast and, in particular, in the Arab and Muslim worlds. If he can do that while protecting the interests of our democratic friend Israel, more power to him!

We opposed his election. But we want to give President Obama the benefit of the doubt. Again, he's our president and we want to support him.

He makes it a bit difficult, however, when he says one thing and does another.

He's done that with regard to the ethics of his nominees, for example. Candidate Obama made a huge deal of upgrading the ethics in Washington -- but then, as president, turned around and backed a nominee for secretary of Health and Human Services, Tom Daschle, who had evaded $128,000 in federal income taxes.

Another story this week -- perhaps less consequential, but not much less troubling -- informs us that the presidential candidate who decried wasteful energy spending and touted the threat of global warming has cranked the White House thermostat high enough this winter to "grow orchids," according to his own chief of staff, David Axelrod.

"We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times," Obama said during last year's campaign. "That's not leadership. That's not going to happen."

Well, guess what: It has.

"It's stunning hypocrisy," Christopher Horner, a senior fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute and author of two books critical of global warming activists, told reporters. "Obama spins the dial up, takes off his coat and seeks to mandate that we turn the dial down."

We have no doubt the president means what he says vis-a-vis his concern for the planet. But a "do as I say, not as I do" approach won't exactly help him in his role as a green Pied Piper.

We encourage our dynamic young president to walk the walk.

And to take a sweater if need be.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 02/07/09 - 06:03 am
Jimmy Carter wore a sweater &

Jimmy Carter wore a sweater & urged us to do the same during the oil crisis of the 1970s. He walked to his inauguration instead of being chauffeured. The Augusta Chronicle & the radical right ridiculed Jimmy Carter for being "unpresidential" & praised Ronald Reagan who ordered the removal of solar panels from the White House. Now the Augusta Chronicle editorial staff is using hearsay to ridicule Barack Obama for how he sets the White House thermostat. Give me a break! This is the usual level of trite yellow journal editorial that The Augusta Chronicle editorial staff (ACES) is famous for. Doesn't the White House have more than 1 thermostat? Did Obama raise the thermostat in the Oval Office or in all the White House? Is Obama making every White House employee sweat and feel like there are living in a greenhouse that is "hot enough to grow orchids"? I think not. The degree of temperature that Obama keeps his office and the private residence for his and his family's comfort is his business and not subject to subjective hearsay from detractors looking to undermine this President at all costs while claiming "We certainly want to support our new president wherever we can." Bull!

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 02/07/09 - 07:00 am
Correct, JRHC. If the

Correct, JRHC. If the Augusta Chronicle want to see hypocrisy, all they need to do is look in the mirror. The ACES don't give a damn about America! I've already found that out. And I am beginning to find out about everything else as well.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/07/09 - 07:01 am
True Synergy, UNLESS you

True Synergy, UNLESS you state on the campaign trail that you WON'T do that, and that 'TRUE' leaders wouldn't do it and then turn around and do it yourself. This was what he did during the ENTIRE campaign. HE said one thing and then did another. Obama could SAY anything he wanted and Bushco had been so bad that they (the people) would beleive ANYTHING he said, no matter what his actions showed. Obama flip-flopped 'nuanced', 'changed', and 'modified' his positions for the entire election why should he change MO just because he won? Now we have an unknown quantity in the White House who won't stand by some of his cornerstones he ran on. I am not surprised that he doesn't keep the thermostat on 65 anymore than he checks the tire pressure on his limo. And, oh by the way, Jimmy Carter also carried his own luggage into the White House.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/07/09 - 07:28 am
I agree Cain. Well said. This

I agree Cain. Well said. This editorial is pure bull.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/07/09 - 07:30 am
"I screwed up."

"I screwed up."

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 02/07/09 - 07:32 am
Hussein LIED and LIED and

Hussein LIED and LIED and LIED. ALL of you were told months ago and refused to listen.NOW, you want to act surprised. IT IS TOO LATE, prepare for MORE

55 F-100
55 F-100 02/07/09 - 07:39 am
Get ready for four years of

Get ready for four years of this behavior. And for all of you Obama voters, I hope that those of you who have enough sense to regret your actions will agonize over your electing this empty suit who can NOT function without a teleprompter! And for the rest of you ACORN recruits who voted for Oprah's slick talking little muslim boy just because he has Kenyan ancestry, I hope that you choke on the surplus peanut butter products that you will soon be receiveing as part of your welfare benefits!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/07/09 - 07:47 am
55 F-100, the peanut butter

55 F-100, the peanut butter comments was pretty funny I must say.

justus4
justus4 02/07/09 - 08:15 am
"Do as I say, not as I do"

"Do as I say, not as I do" should be the nation's creed because that been the underlying theme since Jamestown. At the founding, no mention of the institution of slavery. Then, the construction of the Constitution, but the word "slavery" does not appear in the document. The first president frees his slaves on his death bed. Again, do as I say, not as I do. The Bill of Rights & Declaration of Independence, all great documents soaring with high ideals, but on-the-ground, the entire spirit of the words were violated for over two hundred yrs. Again, do as I say, not as I do. Every president since Washington have had examples of their words not matching their deeds. And because there is a brotha there now, don't raise the standard to perfection now because no one is perfect.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/07/09 - 08:40 am
I'm with justus on this one.

I'm with justus on this one. If you guys see any slaves being mistreated, please call me at 1-800-It's been over for a hundred years. I certainly don't want to hold the first baby's daddy to any standards. Let's just continue to celebrate that the new president is black and accept whatever he does as good.I called President Bush on it when I thought he was wrong and I will call Obama on his wrong doings. justus doesn't want equality, he wants blacks to be able to do whatever they wish and be free from punishment or even criticism just becaus of the color of their skin. Having said all of that, I had hoped Obama would at least be honest and have America's best interest at heart. As one strong black man to another, he doesn't. Rumor is he will be back in Reverend Wright's church by the end of the year.

TechLover
TechLover 02/07/09 - 08:47 am
W LIED and LIED and LIED.

W LIED and LIED and LIED. 5000,000 more people didn't want him as Pres than did. We tried to tell you people that years ago. Dang,Cain's comments actually made sense this time. You people ridiculed Carter for sensible energy policies. During the election McCain and the Repubs made fun of common sense solutions for saving energy (remember the tire pressure gauges?) The Repubs and W went on a spending spree and W didn't veto a thing. Now they claim to be against spending. I don't remember the AC supporting good energy policy or coming out agaainst W's spending. Talk about hypocrisy. The AC then quotes the CEI- which received over $2 million from Exxon over the past decade, and is funded by The Koch Foudation-ie. Koch Industries, the nation's largest privately held energy company,Amoco,Texaco,General Motors, the American Petroleum Institute, the American Plastics Council, the Chlorine Chemistry Council and Arch Coal,just to name a few. They are against any efforts to prevent global warming and fuel efficiency standards for cars, yet they gripe about his thermostat. Once again it's the interests of big money, big business that are attempting to make the policies of this country.

bcs2k
bcs2k 02/07/09 - 08:50 am
Sigh. OK AC editorial

Sigh. OK AC editorial staff. Are you staying up all night worried about the Oval Office temperature? I'm not. I'm sure wizard and 55F are. Gimme a break. I wish you can give me back the minute of my life wasted wasting reading this pointless article. I voted for Obama. I am very, very happy with my vote. I am an entrepreneur waiting to spend money (on business purchases) and stimulate the economy and enjoy business opportunities directly or indirectly from the stimulus. I look forward to seeing what new technologies might be developed as a result of stimulus related work. I'll let Wizard and 55F scream "Hussein" and invent reasons to say "the sky is falling" and laugh at them as I make/spend money. Put the heater where you need it President Obama. I will not lose sleep over such nonsense.

bone
bone 02/07/09 - 08:51 am
"no one is perfect??" where

"no one is perfect??" where was this sparkling li'l comment when bushco was being raked over the coals, justus? and yes, 14putt, being black is going to get barry hussein plenty of mileage.

TechLover
TechLover 02/07/09 - 08:52 am
55: The Klan meeting end

55: The Klan meeting end early last night?

ITDoc
ITDoc 02/07/09 - 08:59 am
Obama claims a catastrophe is

Obama claims a catastrophe is imminent unless his porkulus bill is passed. And explain to my poor self reliant mind how this isn't "the sky is falling"? As usual, Obama supporters aren't upset with his lack of conviction, his lack of spine, and his lack of morals, because they only voted for him because of skin color. Typical ( X )'s. Game over, case closed, zuyf, even a blind man can see that one.

CH
CH 02/07/09 - 09:05 am
Leave it to JRHC to bring a

Leave it to JRHC to bring a loser like Jimmy Carter into this argument. Leave it to Justus to bring race into it as well. Both are old and worn out. Come on guys, can't you come up with something else to make your points? And AC, come one...did you really think this president meant the promises he made while campaigning? Get real. The guy is a politician, and basically telling us to eat crap if we don't like it.

jg41160
jg41160 02/07/09 - 09:12 am
grandwizard, living in 55 -

grandwizard, living in 55 - please do not get over it.

mable8
mable8 02/07/09 - 09:27 am
If the big O is such a great

If the big O is such a great leader and has all those marvelous quailites that says he is great, then why does he now need an advisory board? His speech to announce this idiotic move made him look like a tampering 2-yr old who should have been taken immediately to his crib to cool off. He is sorely lacking in the areas of governance AND leadership; guess the Oval Office will house at least a hundred wannabe presidents because he has no answers and finds it necessary to call upon others to make his decisions for him--but he wants to make sure he gets "credit" for "doing a good job." Face it, the big O is showing himself to be the dishonest loser that he really is. Best watch out all you burros, the elephant is chasing you right out of the White House and Congress--Hooray for 2012 and good riddance big 0 and company.

corgimom
corgimom 02/07/09 - 09:29 am
14Putt, that was just

14Putt, that was just downright funny! Yeah, and if his line is busy, call me at 1-800-COR-GIMOM. I am sick to death hearing about slavery. It's OVER. I am tired of being blamed for something that ended 145 years ago. MOVE FORWARD Justus and worry about the stunning lack of education in black men, which just about guarantees them prison sentences.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 02/07/09 - 09:31 am
More hypocrisy from the

More hypocrisy from the "mainstream media" is the FACT that you never once hear of a soldiers death in Iraq now. During the Bush years it was the daily headlines and the lefties SCREAMED about their blood on his shoulders. Now that the messiah has risen to the throne it is NEVER mentioned. We were also told that total withdrawl would be in 16 months........Now it's 23 and maybe much longer. We were told of people with ethics in his administration, but how many nominees have tax and other problems. We heard endlessly about the cost of the war and our "national debt" yet the messiah is pushing almost a TRILLION dollars for new spending that will do nothing but enslave future generations. This is nothing but a SUB-PRIME MORTGAGE on America's future. A BAD DEAL for all involved, meaning us. And now the news is that the messiah needs a break as he is stressed.......Stressed? The guy hasn't been on the job a month yet and HE is stressed? He'll crack within a year or so and then we're stuck with Biden????????? Lord help us.

egan01
egan01 02/07/09 - 09:33 am
He is just following Al Gores

He is just following Al Gores example.

christian134
christian134 02/07/09 - 09:48 am
Pres. Obama is just trying to

Pres. Obama is just trying to do his best for whom? Certainly not for this country...But he is Pres. so must acknowledge that but I certainly don't have to support him...Will wait and watch and pray...We are swiftly embarking on a new dangerous road for all who oppose socialist government...Hang on and pray...The ride is bumpy and filled with huge sinkholes...

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/07/09 - 09:53 am
Typical left and Dem evasive

Typical left and Dem evasive tactics. Don't talk about the issue-either talk around it or change it or so and so did that too. None of which are at issue. Obama is a liar plain and simple. Heresay from the mouth of your chief of staff is pretty incriminating. Remember Bush's chief of staff book. Of course it is heresay with a Dem but fact with a Rep. Bush and Clinton also both said one thing and then once in office did another. We tried to impeach both of them so why wait and lets start impeaching Obama.

mable8
mable8 02/07/09 - 09:54 am
Are you sure praying will

Are you sure praying will help? Not if Jeremiah gets into the White House--and he will be soon enough, after all, he is the messiah's mentor and "like a father to him". The big O is finally finding out what WORK is all about; now, if he can just learn how to do some critical thinking, he just might be able to pull off a decent decision or two all by himself. As it is, we have to put up with his "advisory boards,' and 'task forces' to help him figure out what the right thing to do is. Without his grandiose speeches and teleprompter, much of what he says is nonsense.

fred1217
fred1217 02/07/09 - 09:59 am
When George W. Bush was in

When George W. Bush was in office, the Augusta Chronicle never reported what the thermostat was set at in the White House or in his Crawford Ranch where he visitied too many times on the tax payer dollar. They never reported on how much fuel it took to fly Air Force One between D.C. and Texas for all those multiple vacations. They never reported on how George W. Bush's MONTH long vacations didn't "Walk the Talk". The "Stunning Hipocracy" is right, but it's on the part of the Augusta Chronicle.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 02/07/09 - 10:06 am
Amen@fred1217

Amen@fred1217

fred1217
fred1217 02/07/09 - 10:12 am
mable8 ALL of what you said

mable8 ALL of what you said is NONSENSE, where were you for the last eight years? Do you actually think that the Country didn't get in these dire straits under the divine "leadership" of George W. Bush? Iraq, Katrina, Energy Problems, Bank Problems, Home Loans...all happened on Bush's dime. Almost 600,000 Americans lost their job's during Bush's last month in office. At least President Obama can read a teleprompter without butchering up the English Language.

curly123053
curly123053 02/07/09 - 10:22 am
When a Prez takes a vacation

When a Prez takes a vacation or goes home for whatever reason he is never really off. The Prez has to endure daily sessions with advisors and be kept abreast of affairs around the country and world. It was like that with all the presidents in my lifetime and I am sure it will be the same with Prez "O". When you or me take a vacation we are away from the job while a Prez is never away from the job.

MUNK
MUNK 02/07/09 - 10:38 am
I think everyone, especially

I think everyone, especially our federal government has forgotten that the name of aour country is NOT America, it's the United States of America. We need tio get back to the concept of STATE government and get the federal government out of our lives. Sadly, this was tried one time and was squashed. Too bad, it could be a lot different if it had been successful.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/07/09 - 10:49 am
Ever see the TV show,

Ever see the TV show, Survivorman? He's alone in the wilderness and has to film himself. He walks around holding this thing sticking out with a camera on it looking back at him. It reminds me of Obama and the teleprompter. It is everwhere he goes. Even in the smallest groups he has it. He must walk around holding it. He was informally introducing his economic team the other day and using it. What the heck, can't he even say who the person is without reading off a teleprompter? Unreal.