Obama goes back on many promises

Voters wanted change and elected President Obama. Apparently the change is that he can change his mind within days of making promises and statements he clearly didn't mean.

- Obama promised he would veto any legislation that contained pork. The stimulus bill, which Obama supports, is loaded with pork.

- Obama promised he would not hire any lobbyists to work in his administration. To date, Obama has hired 20 lobbyists.

- Obama has said repeatedly that we have to put aside partisan differences and work together to solve the challenges facing our country. Within hours of lecturing others, the president attacked a conservative radio talk show host and made fun of Fox News to a roomful of congressional Republicans. It's hard to imagine a more undignified or partisan attack on the opposition party. Maybe we were naive to believe Obama meant he would practice tough diplomacy with our nation's enemies, not on Republicans.

- In May 2008, Obama said "We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times and then just expect that other countries are going to say okay. That's not leadership." So you can imagine my surprise when I read in the Jan. 29 New York Times: "The Capitol flew into a bit of a tizzy when, on his first full day in the White House, President Obama was photographed in the Oval Office without his suit jacket. There was, however, a logical explanation: Mr. Obama, who hates the cold, had cranked up the thermostat." Mr. Obama's senior advisor, David Axelrod, said: "He's from Hawaii, OK? He likes it warm. You could grow orchids in there."

And so another politician joins the ranks of those who have a "do as I say, not as I do" mentality.

Mary Beth Seaha, Aiken, SC.

Nammy
Nammy 02/02/09 - 02:08 am
I never believed in him to

I never believed in him to begin with. To do so, you need some sort of proof that his word is good. His hasn't been and never was any good, and sadly still isn't!

curly123053
curly123053 02/02/09 - 03:32 am
Cannot argue with her facts

Cannot argue with her facts even though somebody will eventually. Very good points in this editorial.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 02/02/09 - 04:04 am
So he made fun of Rush...big

So he made fun of Rush...big deal. Rush screamed that he hoped Obama failed, that he wanted him to fail. So Rush wants the country to fail, who's screaming about Rush being unpatriotic?

Mistress1024
Mistress1024 02/02/09 - 04:43 am
GACopperhead: I would have to

GACopperhead: I would have to agree. It was very unpatriotic to wish that this man would fail. No one wished failure on Bush and look what he did, he failed and even through the turmoil I kept the faith hoping that he would pull us through. I wish that everyone would give the guy a chance. Its sad to say but America will never be united. There is too much division and racism is at its best right now. I wish that everyone would come together,blacks,whites, asians, indians,hispanics, and others and unite the way it should be and support our president.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 02/02/09 - 05:04 am
The real solution to this

The real solution to this problem is one that neither party will embrace. We need to put our currency back on the gold standard and get this country out of the borrow and spend mentality. The Fed is worthless, get rid of it. How about CONGRESS take a pay cut? Corporations receiving bailout money give 18 billion in bonuses, and request an increased amount of foreign visas for high level jobs. Where is the oversight that Bush promised and failed to give? Where is the oversight that Congress promised and has failed to provide? Where is the bi-partisanship that both parties have promised? Republicans are part of the problem, they want to continue tax breaks for the wealthy. Dems want to spend money on things that can be done later, they're not stimulus items. They're all a bunch of boobs.

iletuknow
iletuknow 02/02/09 - 05:47 am
And you thought change was

And you thought change was coming! Only chaos,despair,and depression is waiting for you.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 02/02/09 - 05:49 am
I hope he breaks ALL of his

I hope he breaks ALL of his promises. It's the only way this country will survive.

Cheech1
Cheech1 02/02/09 - 06:05 am
SisterA - You nailed it right

SisterA - You nailed it right there. And what Rush said was that he hoped his policies failed, not the man himself. Rush gives him lots of credit as a person. He just has some REALLY stupid Anti-American ideas.

jack234
jack234 02/02/09 - 07:03 am
Mary Beth: Since you didn't

Mary Beth: Since you didn't vote for Obama, why do you care? CheechMarin: Don't let Rush pull one off on you - Clue: If his policies fail, then he fails. Oh slick Rush slipped that one past you. Most of his listeners don't have a clue anyway. Just call in "ditto" heads. You know he censors his "call-ins", If they disagree, then they don't speak - he'll cut them off in a heartbeat. HELLO! HELLO!

jack234
jack234 02/02/09 - 07:05 am
I'm sure the Senate will cut

I'm sure the Senate will cut out the pork. Something had to be added so the Repulicans could go home and tell their peolpe,
"We took so and so out of the bill" to reach a compromise. Its called politics. Republicans play their base also. HELLO! HELLO!

dashiel
dashiel 02/02/09 - 07:21 am
Don't misunderestimate Obama.

Don't misunderestimate Obama.

christian134
christian134 02/02/09 - 07:26 am
And these revelations are

And these revelations are supposed to astound Mary Beth? He is our President now but he is fast showing his true colors, so to speak. Not much that this man is doing now or will do will astound but I want to thank you for your letter...The followers will have to get hit over the head with a brick several times before they admit this man is so inadequate for the job of President...That time will come...But even when it does come there will be some that will blame everyone else's mother's brother's sons for this Presidents lack of experience...

1941
1941 02/02/09 - 07:34 am
So what. He is not the first

So what. He is not the first and he won't be the last. The bill has not reached his desk yet, so you don't know wether he will veto or not! And for the rest of you all, you voiced your opion of him before he evan became president, so what ever he do, or don't do you will still b---h about it. So get over the fact, that we all have an african american president. Deal with it!!!!

CH
CH 02/02/09 - 07:41 am
Mary Beth, what, you really

Mary Beth, what, you really believed all that crap about change? Come on lady, this is politics. Just because he's a Democrat doesn't mean he'll do the right thing and honor his promises. There's a big difference between campaigning for president and actually serving. And Mimsy, I didn't see anything in the letter referring to Obama's skin color. He's in the job now, so don't think he won't catch any crap for going back on his word.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/02/09 - 07:48 am
Why do all the racists

Why do all the racists immediately bring up the color of Obama's skin every time someone criticises his actions? How will we ever be united if we can't even be allowed to treat Obama equally as good or bad as we treat other politicians? Stop racism now! I guess I will be called a skin head when I suggest it is not too early to start impeachment proceedings against this snake oil sales man.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 02/02/09 - 07:57 am
Though many of you disagree

Though many of you disagree with Obama's ideas, they are not horrible. Republicans still want to cater to the rich. period. Dems look out more for the working class. It's time to worry about us who work for a living, instead of the big CEOs and investors who sit on their butts and want more. Workers make this country move, not those who sit in their offices, drink coffee(Lattes at 5 dollars a pop)and expect larger and larger salaries. Those who made their fortunes off of the housing boom are getting their just desserts. I have little sympathy for them.Those who lost their butts in the stock market are getting their rewards. I have little sympathy for them. By taking the money out of the banking system and putting it in real estate or the stock market lowered interest rates banks pay to those who save. This encouraged more spending on credit. The government wants you to spend. We all need to save. Put money in banks. This will infuse them with the money they need, without nationalizing them. The government needs to spend on rebuilding roads, repairing bridges and improving the power grid in advance of newer, more efficient power. Quit subsidizing big business with tax breaks.

ThurstonHowell
ThurstonHowell 02/02/09 - 07:59 am
lighten up, the guys been

lighten up, the guys been pres. for two weeks, give'em a chance to sink or swim.

karmakills123
karmakills123 02/02/09 - 08:02 am
whatsa matta jack# ..seems

whatsa matta jack# ..seems your guy is a lier and phoney and it did not take long to see it....of course astute voters saw through his malignant soul long before now...sad....remember be careful what you wish for you just might get it...Oh and another wise-ism..if it sounds too good to be true then ...oh well I guess you can figure out the rest......

karmakills123
karmakills123 02/02/09 - 08:09 am
Really hard to keep that

Really hard to keep that "train of glory" on track when the rails are made of clay..............................

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 02/02/09 - 08:31 am
All of you out there who love

All of you out there who love to criticize Obama, where were your cries when Bush lied, cheated and stole for 8 years? Hypocrites, and ignoramuses. The evidence of the results of the policies you back is staring us in the face. I'd be willing to bet that more people who speculated in the real estate market are in foreclosure than those who received help from the government rules....the worst hit states are California and Florida. Areas known for real estate investment as vacation homes, or homes for the wealthy. All of you who are rich and lost your behinds, I'm glad. Blame Bush and yourselves.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 02/02/09 - 08:33 am
At least, being poor, I have

At least, being poor, I have a shorter distance to fall than the rest....lol!

jack234
jack234 02/02/09 - 08:37 am
Let me make this perfectly

Let me make this perfectly clear. I am 100% satisfied with what President Obama has done so far. He is not afraid to surround himself with smart people as shown through his appointments.
I don't know what karmakills1234 thought that supporters thought that he was going to deliver, that he didn't. We are very proud of our selection. He certainly has plenty of energy and keeps his eyes on everything. He is multi-tasked unlike his predecessor. We will give him the 8 years if he needs it. HELLO! HELLO!

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 02/02/09 - 08:55 am
SURPRISE!!SURPRISE!!SURPRISE!

SURPRISE!!SURPRISE!!SURPRISE!! Hussein lied to get elected

christian134
christian134 02/02/09 - 08:59 am
jack234 I am very happy your

jack234 I am very happy your very happy...You have succeeded in making that statement very clear...:-)

pah4r
pah4r 02/02/09 - 09:00 am
This president is a charaltan

This president is a charaltan in a suit, who has lied and bullied his way through life on the hems of his powerful wife and if not for her he would still be a "organizer" and would have never
become the leader of sheep. We are in for a cruel fall and this man is leading us with one foot on a banana peel and the other in charaltan oil.

DonH
DonH 02/02/09 - 09:00 am
The jury is still out on the

The jury is still out on the Obama era. It's just beginning. Give the man his due and let him run his course, I say. I have always wondered how people can vote for someone who tells them what they want to hear and also promises them what ever they want. Then, when it's time to deliver, the politician gets a dose of reality and cannot produce the promised results. Just politics as usual, I suppose. Maybe politicians need a sprinkling of ethics on their morning gritts and maybe the electorate needs to perform a reality check as they get out of bed?

bcs2k
bcs2k 02/02/09 - 09:11 am
I voted for Barack Obama and

I voted for Barack Obama and I'm very happy with what I'm seeing so far. I have not heard of other Obama supporters who have issues. If appears that some of you are still bitter and wish he was like economy killer and perpetual idiot G. W. Bush -- who operated under the rule "My way or the highway". Thank God John McCain is sitting down somewhere. Life is great on my end! Thanks.

karmakills123
karmakills123 02/02/09 - 09:13 am
...LOL@

...LOL@ jack#....tut..tut.....

GGpap
GGpap 02/02/09 - 09:14 am
I voted for McCain/Palin, but

I voted for McCain/Palin, but to date, I've not been disappointed with Obama (well, I'm certainly not happy with his appointments to Treasury and Health). However, one of my reasons for supporting McCain was his promise to veto any bill that came to his desk with pork in it (of course, we'll never know if he would have kept this promise); but, if Obama vetoes the stimulus "pork" bill, I'll continue my support for his administration, if not, well it's just more of the same 'ol same 'ol. I'm not holding my breath for the latter. GGpap

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/02/09 - 09:16 am
Rep and Dems are looking out

Rep and Dems are looking out for themselves. Dang while many of us can barely afford health care they voted themselves a great plan. If they were honorable men they would insist on providing for the public first then themselves.