Government should redistribute wealth

Conservative pundits use myths and lies to camouflage their corrupt defense of criminal greed. Their opposition to the new stimulus plan is a good example of this philosophical smokescreen. Conservatives think the Democrats' plan should include more tax cuts, invoking the myth that tax cuts stimulate the economy. History proves tax cuts don't do any such thing.

When Ronald Reagan cut taxes in the early 1980s, the United States immediately went into a recession, followed by another recession in 1990. When George W. Bush cut taxes, the United States went into a recession, and now, eight years later, we're in another recession. America's greatest period of non-wartime economic growth occurred in the late 1930s -- after Franklin Roosevelt increased taxes. The real reason conservatives support tax cuts is so greedy rich people can keep more of the ill-gotten wealth they obtained by exploiting poor working-class people.

Conservatives oppose government spending because they say the private sector can spend that money more efficiently. Again, they rely on an outright lie. Nine out of ten new businesses fail in their first year of existence. I wouldn't call that efficient. Can conservatives claim the U.S. auto industry, the banking and real estate businesses and other failed sectors of the free market are efficient? The answer is no, not even close.

An unequal distribution of wealth causes all recessions and depressions. Greedy business-owners, in an attempt to maximize profits, pay their workers as little as possible. In turn, the workers can't afford to buy the products sold by other greedy business-owners. This is why a pure free market system will always fail, and we need a government that regulates and redistributes wealth.

Mark Gelbart, Augusta

Nammy
Nammy 02/02/09 - 02:01 am
And who is going to watch

And who is going to watch over the government? You can't tell me with all the crooks that's just been put in place, they don't need watching! Who do we trust to do this?

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 02/02/09 - 02:48 am
Mr. Gelbart, You need to read

Mr. Gelbart, You need to read this POST. I'll be bringing you some more Enlightenment on the economy, with links.
Adrian Rogers on Free Lunch.....There aren't any. The late Adrian Rogers is one of several iconic former pastors of Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis, TN. He had a wonderful ability to state complex principles in clear, concise, vivid language. It is a clear statement of the principle that there is no free lunch.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005 ~~~

Nammy
Nammy 02/02/09 - 02:57 am
Tada! Very good Tu!

Tada! Very good Tu!

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 02/02/09 - 02:59 am
This is why The Big 3 Can't

This is why The Big 3 Can't make it in America, the UAW and it's sheeple of workers are strangling the life out of the American Automotive Industry. That's why they CAN'T BE EFFICIENT HERE MR. GELBART!!!! This is a video of a new Ford plant in Brazil. One look at this and you will be able to tell why there will probably never be another one built in the USA. It will also point out why more assembly plants will go offshore. And... pay attention to the last few words about the U.A.W. It says a lot! (as a side note, the average UAW worker in US makes around $70 an hour while a worker at a Toyota plant in the US makes around $46 an hour. . . . . and who makes the better car. .? Here Is The Link To The Video......I URGE ALL OF YOU TO WATCH THIS VIDEO http://info.detnews.com/video/index.cfm?id=1189

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 02/02/09 - 03:09 am
Here, Mr. Gelbart, Is Your

Here, Mr. Gelbart, Is Your Knight in Shining Armor, Harry Reid, in all of his Ignorant Glory. I'm sure HE IS ALL FOR YOUR "WEALTH REDISTRIBUTION!" You DEMS NEED A NEW BOY IN D.C., ONE WHO CAN ARTICULATE BETTER THAN THIS!!!!!! HE'S GOT TO GO! Subject: THIS MUST BE THE DUMBEST MAN IN THE U.S. SENATE It is hard to believe until you hear it for yourself. Where were his political "handlers" for this interview? We get a glimpse of the real clown underneath the suit here.THIS MAN IS A U.S. SENATOR... In fact he is the Majority Leader THIS HAS GOT TO BE SEEN AND HEARD TO BE BELIEVED! This interview with Senator Harry Reid on the subject of taxes is incredible... and worth watching for the 4 minutes it takes...Click the link below...................... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7mRSI8yWwg ...............How do you elect people this stupid? Because we, the people of the U.S., are too unwilling to become informed and to take the necessary action to vote these people out of office!!

As It Is
As It Is 02/02/09 - 03:18 am
It is a waste of time to

It is a waste of time to argue with ignorant individuals so really no point here.

curly123053
curly123053 02/02/09 - 03:29 am
Liberals refuse to see beyond

Liberals refuse to see beyond their blinders. Not going to waste my time here.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 02/02/09 - 03:30 am
With people like The OBAM,

With people like The OBAM, the Government and Liberal PACs suing banks to MAKE THEM loan money to WHO THEY SAY SHOULD get the loans, wether they can repay it or not is the reason that BANKS CANNOT BE EFFICIENT MR.Gelbart. I suppose you and the rest of the Socialist, Communist, Marxist, Democrats in this country would just LOVE for this Country to GO YOUR WAY! Here's a CLUE......BURN YOUR COMMUNIST/SOCIALIST/MARXIST MEMBERSHIP CARDS AND FORGET YOUR DREAM! Before you force anarchy to insue in this country, and force the Freedom loving American Citizens to take up arms and ANNIHILATE YOU AND YOUR COMRADES, ALONG WITH YOUR FREELOADER SUPPORTERS FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH! THIS IS NOT A THREAT, THIS IS A PLEA FOR PEACE!

Reality
Reality 02/02/09 - 05:11 am
Tujeez, don't sugar coat

Tujeez, don't sugar coat it............What kills me, is the people who chose their own path in life and then blame everyone else for keeping them down....You can't spend yourself out of the red. Is there anyone in Obama's new world order that pays his/her taxes anyway???

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 02/02/09 - 05:21 am
I agree that tax cuts for the

I agree that tax cuts for the wealthy don't work. Tax cuts for those who do work will help a little, if the money is spent. This isn't redistribution, it's just letting those who work keep more of what they earned. Conservative ideas haven't worked, and the evidence makes headlines every day. While there will always be a mixture of capitalism and socialism in this country, the idea of pure socialism is not any kind of a solution. Help those who need it...the unemployed, the disabled and elderly, and children. Educate those who have been on welfare for generations. Do more of the Clinton welfare reforms. Limit those who file new requests for welfare to a set time. Eventually those who abuse the system will exit it, one way or the other. Find an acceptable form of guaranteed health care. We're already paying for it with higher insurance premiums and taxes that go for indigent care. Most of all, shut Rush up! He's an idiot who would cut his own nose off to spite his face.

iletuknow
iletuknow 02/02/09 - 05:37 am
Give money to people who need

Give money to people who need it most? Surely you gest. It would be the end of civilization as we know it!

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 02/02/09 - 05:51 am
What planet is this guy from.

What planet is this guy from. Even Obama admitted that tax cuts help the economy, but he wants to keep the taxes high on the wealthy because "it's fair". Wealth envy at its best.

Trouble1
Trouble1 02/02/09 - 06:29 am
frankly im thinking if people

frankly im thinking if people want more wealth, they should get off their lazy butts and go to work, not set at home and wait for the government to give it to them. where is the incentive to get out and work hard and earn your own way if all you have to do is set home and wait for the government to give you everything. this plan would backfire on people and all those "greedy rich" people would quit making money and set home and wait for their checks too, then who would be out making the money for the government to steal to give to the lazy?

Reality
Reality 02/02/09 - 06:59 am
good in therory, but it will

good in therory, but it will never be put into practice.....

christian134
christian134 02/02/09 - 07:11 am
Tu great comment...Now if

Tu great comment...Now if these very jealous people would just try working for what they want without waiting for government to bail them out we just might see some progress...

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 02/02/09 - 07:15 am
So lets just raise the taxes

So lets just raise the taxes to 100% for everyone and we will never ever again have a recession. Yea!!!!!!

christian134
christian134 02/02/09 - 07:20 am
Roosevelt increased taxes but

Roosevelt increased taxes but almost immediately we entered into World War which, in turn, brought jobs and prosperity...It wasn't the tax increase that jump started this nation it was war...Redistribution of wealth is the first, second and third steps into socialism...Quite frankly those in high places will continue to be in high places...Do you honestly believe the people who run the government will have to worry about food, place to sleep and money for bills? I don't believe so...They will continue as before...The masses will be held in check, for the most part, by a show of money passed out...Just enough to keep the grumbling to a minimum...Redistribution of wealth is "idiocy"...

CH
CH 02/02/09 - 07:26 am
Well said, Comrade Gelbart.

Well said, Comrade Gelbart. You will be receiving your red hammer and sickle flag and official Communist party membership invitation in the mail any day now! I'll keep my wealth, thank you very much. I worked my butt off for it. I don't remember seeing you putting in extra hours at night, weekends, and holidays on the job with me. You can keep "the change." Come on 2010. Mark Gelbart, you are an idiot!

CH
CH 02/02/09 - 07:29 am
GACop, you want to shut Rush

GACop, you want to shut Rush up? I guess anyone who dares to disagree with this administration needs to be legislated off the air, eh? Liberals sure as Hell can't get rid of Rush by competing with him in a free radio market.

christian134
christian134 02/02/09 - 07:37 am
Watch out CH the Obama police

Watch out CH the Obama police will come and take you and your family away...I here tell we who would disagree with Obama and his followers are going to be rounded up and sent to Siberia...The freedom of speech only includes what the "state" chooses to tell it's followers...:-) I am teasing...At least I hope I am...

Martinez
Martinez 02/02/09 - 07:39 am
I don't know about you but I

I don't know about you but I have never seen anyone in the lower poverty end of society gain wealth at the hands of government; a few hundred dollars in monthly aid, foodstamps and the almighty once a year EIC doesn't exactly create wealth. Now, with that being said, bring on the stricter welfare reform! Government assistance should be temporary, infact I think they even call it TANF now "Temporary Assistance for Needy Families". The rules for public housing, particularly limiting households to those on the paperwork, should be strictly enforced and again a time limit set. Where I think some increased spending is needed is to help those middle income families hardest hit by this economy. How many families are at risk right now of losing everything due to layoffs, being unexpectedly uninsured etc. Again though, help of this kind should have set terms. Gelbart may not have said it the way I would but clearly giving government money to the biggest corporations isn't the answer, especially without strict oversight. Laid off workers don't want to hear that their former executives are spending hundreds of thousands on lavish retreats - with govt. bail out money!

CH
CH 02/02/09 - 07:45 am
But Martinez, only our

But Martinez, only our government knows what is best for us. Didn't you know? Thanks, Christian, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if they'll open Gitmo back up after they've rounded all of us up?

karmakills123
karmakills123 02/02/09 - 07:48 am
Rush is laughing his [filtered word] off

Rush is laughing his [filtered word] off at barry and his pony and cart show............................(all the way to the bank)

Martinez
Martinez 02/02/09 - 07:58 am
I am not sure what part of my

I am not sure what part of my post was so confusing CH? I no sooner support open spending on the poor then I do open spending on the wealthy. I think too much of either creates it's own set of problems. With that being said, the government does have a purpose to serve some of which includes balancing how much money to tax and how to distribute those funds. The whole fear mungering concept of "wealth re-distribution" is simply bi-partisan B.S. and ignores facts. No one has proposed or even hinted at taking anything away from anyone, simply re-aligning the current tax structure to ensure those who earn more pay more proportionately.

dashiel
dashiel 02/02/09 - 08:00 am
You mugs are being had. This

You mugs are being had. This letter is like the foxtail that kicks off a Jack Russell hurdle race.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 02/02/09 - 08:09 am
Yes, shut Rush up. He has

Yes, shut Rush up. He has said he wants Obama to fail. if Obama fails, the country loses. We go into a depression. If that occurs, I'm for taking every penny Rush ever has or will make, give it to the people he hates the most(Americans) and then send him to Gaza with an I love Israel sign on him. I could suggest worse forms of torture for this miscreant, drug addict, but God tells me to love those who hate me. By the way, I heard statistics from 06 that proved the wealthiest people in the US paid only 17% income tax. I made 23k last year and paid 25%. Abdulla, Bizarro, PT, how is this ok?
I'm a good, honest worker, who believes in paying his taxes, work at least 40 hours a week, not including being on call 7/24/52, and I pay a higher percentage than those who make BILLIONS? In AMERICA????!!!!

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/02/09 - 08:12 am
Just the title of this LTE

Just the title of this LTE says it all. I'm gonna need more BS flags.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 02/02/09 - 08:23 am
The writer is correct in his

The writer is correct in his statement that business owners pay workers less in order to maximize profits, hence the huge number of illegals working in this country, along with the number of working poor. It's time the government looks at immigration reform as a way of increasing security, lowering the outflow of money, and bringing more jobs back to Americans. It's also time for Americans to quit saying "I'm too good to do that job." If you're hungry, if you can't pay the bills because you're unemployed, no job is not good enough. Any job will help pay the bills. We learned that during the Depression. How have we forgotten it? In my career, I have worked in attics during 105 degree days, pulled dead, rotting animals out from under houses and many other things that are disgusting. I'm not dead, it didn't kill me. At the same time, employers should have to pay a living wage. Credit isn't the answer. If we are to get back on track, we must be paid enough to be able to save, and then buy those big ticket items.(No, I'm not talking a luxury wage, just a living wage)

rjc
rjc 02/02/09 - 08:27 am
It's hard to imagine an

It's hard to imagine an individual so ignorant of how economic factors actually work. But, as one person already stated, it's a waste to argue with someone so ignorant. I will say this, since Mr. Gelbart is so enthralled by Democratic ideals, he should look to the icon of the Democratic Party, J.F.K. What was his number one proposal for stimulating the economy in 1960? Amazingly, it was tax cuts. Makes one wonder what happened to the Democratic Party.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 02/02/09 - 08:39 am
All economists say that tax

All economists say that tax cuts get 75 cents on the dollar in edffectiveness while infrastructure spending, job creation and such get a much better result, though it takes longer. It's time we got off the quick fix mentality. Tax cuts also increase government debt. It's like your employer saying I want you to buy more, but I'm cutting your pay. BRILLIANT! Typical Republicans......

School safety chief touts restructure

Last year, Alfonzo Williams announced that he would conduct a massive overhaul of the Richmond County School Safety department to cut down on inefficiencies and increase accountability.