Get rid of the flood of illegal workers in the CSRA

The unemployment rate is rising and yet we have thousands of illegals presently employed right here in the CSRA. Just go to any construction site or road construction, and even in many restaurants, lawn service businesses, etc. and you will see illegals. My question to our local elected officials and the sheriff is: Why do you allow this to go on?

All that needs to be done is for law enforcement to challenge the employers to prove that these employees are legal. If they are legal, all well and good; if not, they should be fined and told to get rid of them or the fines would continue.

Under federal law, it is illegal to hire undocumented aliens. Also it is easy to verify the validity of the social security number via the Social Security Administration. But law enforcement does not even have to do that; just direct the employers that they have to provide the validation documents in 30 days or the fines begin.

I am willing to bet the illegals will disappear.

These jobs belong to American citizens, not illegals. This should be an urgent issue for law enforcement, elected officals and especially the black community.

Frank Scharite

Augusta

Nammy
Nammy 02/01/09 - 01:01 am
Hear ye, hear ye!!!! But is

Hear ye, hear ye!!!! But is anyone listening? My bet is no!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 02/01/09 - 02:34 am
I agree that something should

I agree that something should be done about the illegals. The only problem with that is that most of the jobs they have, Americans think they are too good to do. Times are tough and really good jobs are scarce but how many 35 to 45 year old men do you see walking into MickeyD's and applying for a job because that is all that is available? Not many, they would rather sit on their azz than take a demeaning job like that. They would rather their family be evicted and starving than be seen dead working behind the counter of Taco Bell. And the youth of today seem to think they only should be hired at the top. Not to mention that Americans think they should be paid way more than they or the job is worth, including the way unions act. And unfortunately illegals take pride in their work where Americans seem to do the minimum to get paid. If there wasn't a market for the illegals they wouldn't be here. America it is our own fault and pride that allows illegals to be able to find gainful employment in our back yard.

iletuknow
iletuknow 02/01/09 - 02:49 am
Listen up Keystone Homes!!

Listen up Keystone Homes!!

GGpap
GGpap 02/01/09 - 03:04 am
It's our government you

It's our government you should blame! Did you vote to keep an incumbent in office? Will you vote the next time because your favorite, though obviously an idiot, looks better than his/her opponent? If you can, boycott the employers or picket their businesses; get active, DO something! GGpap

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 02/01/09 - 04:07 am
Sorry but most people are

Sorry but most people are looking for the best bang for their buck when purchasing services and goods. So long as illegals do a better job for less money they will always have a job in America.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 02/01/09 - 04:09 am
Apparently overburdened

Apparently overburdened hasn't an idea what's going on. I was laid-off and replaced by a non-english speaking worker because I would not work for 1980 wages. I am a heavy equipment operator and my employer said if I could take a pay cut from $13/hr to $8.50/hr., I could PROBABLY stay on.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 02/01/09 - 04:27 am
And apparently it was more

And apparently it was more important for your pride to get laid off than take the $8.50 an hour, which BTW would still be more than working at MickeyD's. There are plenty of employers around that are cutting wages to their employess to either stay in business or in the case of government (Atlanta area police for example) to continue to be able to provide the same level of service.

As It Is
As It Is 02/01/09 - 05:37 am
First, you sure are doing

First, you sure are doing some major pre-judging by saying someone is an illegal citizen based on their apperance. Second, get rid of the true illegals and just plan on everything going up from, as you said, landscaping, construction, food and beverage at least in the Mexican restaurants, as well as others. Not to mention, most of those businesses are still searching for employees but so many legal citizens are so damn lazy, think they are too good to do certain jobs, preer the easy way of crime, or think Obama is going to save them with a check in the mail for sitting on their butts that these employers can't even fill the needed positions. As for law enforcement, it is the job of the federal government, not the local government. You must have probable cause that a law has been broken vs. stopping and asking citizens for their papers as we aren't living in Germany. As for the employers, they don't have to show local law enforcement anything as again, these are federal documents and as long as the employee provided them with the basic information, they have covered theirselves. Yes, it is a problem but if they were gone, I bet the probelm would be even bigger for Americans.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/01/09 - 06:23 am
I'm with overburdened

I'm with overburdened taxpayer. Black market, smuggling, illegal workers....what ever the market will support. Laws are for fools.

suga
suga 02/01/09 - 06:24 am
Illegals or those said to be,

Illegals or those said to be, are now doing the work that the blacks used to do years ago with little pay. If it's too demeaning for the whites to do it then it should be for all. Problem is, if the whites do it they are and will be paid well vs. the blacks who now like the whites want to be paid fairly, So what you have is the illegals who will work for anything to stay over here. But what you will not see is them in Walmart stocking shelves or too many whites doing it either so what does that tell you?

GGpap
GGpap 02/01/09 - 06:43 am
No matter your argument in

No matter your argument in support of those that are willing to work for wages less than locals need to survive (we don't live in huts with 15-20 others while sharing minimal expenses), many of them are still illegals; what part of the word "illegal" don't you understand? GGpap

GR-10
GR-10 02/01/09 - 06:48 am
I am first generation

I am first generation American. When I moved here 40 years ago, my husband dumped me and our baby and split. I had no money, no resources, no family. I went on welfare and foodstamps. Leaving my child with a baby sitter, who I had an arrangement with to exchange baby sitting without paying, I walked the streets looking for a job. I had a devil of a time. No one would hire me. I had qualifications for a 'good' job, but couldn't get hired. Finally, I asked a personal manager, why I couldn't get a job, even though I was qualified. He told me, because you are female, white, over educated and over qualified and a yankee. We don't want people like you working in our factories. You white, over educated over qualified yankees, come in and when you see what is wrong or slightly illegal, you will start a union, or an uprising. I thanked him for being honest, and started walking Broad Street for a job. Every window that had a sign help wanted, I went and applied. Finally, I literally begged a female personal manager for a job. I told her I had a child to support, I desperately needed a job. I would be a really loyal employee. She gave me a job. I was making less money working than I was

GR-10
GR-10 02/01/09 - 06:56 am
getting with food stamps and

getting with food stamps and welfare. I had to pay for day care, food, housing and everything we needed. I was making less money. My friend told me I was stupid to get off welfare and stamps and make less money, when I could be home with my child and collect. She stayed on welfare and stamps and is still on the dole. The job I got was on Broad Street, which was on the bus route. So everyday, I took the bus to work, walked over to Curtis Baptist to get my child and took the bus home. I was willing to take a job for less money, because I saw my future and my childs future was at a dead end taking the dole forever. With a job, came self esteem, self determination, and a positive way of life. The end of the saga, I now own my own business and am financially successful, and as I said earlier, my friend is still taking money from the tax payers to support her illusion of freedom. Freedom comes from self esteem and the willingness to take a challenge, meet it head on and make a difference in your life and the lives of the future generations. So here's a yankee saying, suck up and do what is necessary to feed, clothe and take care of your family.

hossiv
hossiv 02/01/09 - 07:14 am
I totally agree and think the

I totally agree and think the previous administration did not do ebough on this issue. I certainly do not think Obama will do as much or anything about this issue. Votes are all he is worried about. Some of the crud he fed to all the crazy left, has already turned out to be a bunch a bull. He did very well with the hispanic vote in November, so don't expect him to do anything drastic in the immigration department. I realize that this country was built on people from all over, but the kegal citizens should be first to get a job! Hey Dems, if you want to help, ask Obama to add this to his list of promises.

55 F-100
55 F-100 02/01/09 - 07:27 am
If the employers were doing

If the employers were doing their due diligence in requiring documentation as to the legal status of potential employees then this matter would be settled. The other issue of welfare going to people too lazy or sorry to work would be resolved if the unmarried broodmare welfare mothers would cease being rewarded for birthing as many little hood rats as possible and allowing the "baby-daddy" to lay up with her in her welfare paid apartment and eat her welfare provided food. What the U.S. should do immeadiately is to end the citizenship granted to the babies of illegals simply because the delivery occurs on U.S. soil. If the father is illegal and the mother is illegal, the the product of their unprotected sex is illegal, and the entire "fam damily" should be deported!

Martinez
Martinez 02/01/09 - 07:48 am
Frank - How exactly do you

Frank - How exactly do you visually identify an illegal? Your first paragragh says to just go to any of a certain type of business to see illegals. Do you assume everyone with light to medium brown skin is illegal? And then in your last paragragh - please explain why this should be a bigger concern to the black community. Are you implying that the illegals are doing the jobs you think blacks should do? I'm sorry to tell you Frank but not everyone a shade darker then you is illegal or worthy of only the lowest paying laborer jobs.

christian134
christian134 02/01/09 - 08:00 am
Great letter, Frank Scharite,

Great letter, Frank Scharite, but not a single soul is listening...Never have and quite possibly never will...Furthermore there are not enough police officers in the whole nation that could take care of this monumental problem...Martinez illegals have been a problem in this nation for decades...This is not a new problem...It is a problem that has blossomed into one that there is no solution...

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 02/01/09 - 08:07 am
Once upon a time there was

Once upon a time there was this thing called common sense in this land. Then a group of people called liberals replaced common sense with a strange thing call "non-judmentalism" and "tolerance". These things used to be common as well, but in their right place. So common sense was no longer good enough for the liberals instead they accuse anyone of looking at people that appear to be illegal immigrants and get very upset when others speak out loud their thoughts. But then a great liberator was elected leader of the land and the illegals were suddenly changed into legal citizens. And they lived non-judgmentally ever after - though they were all very poor.

GGpap
GGpap 02/01/09 - 08:11 am
Gr-10, a POWERFUL statement!

Gr-10, a POWERFUL statement! Thank you for your comment. GGpap.

crackertroy
crackertroy 02/01/09 - 08:43 am
The problem is, the GR-10's

The problem is, the GR-10's of the world are at best scarce. I am a white male and I had to work my way through college -I did fast food, work as a do-boy for an HVAC company, worked in a automotive garage and I didn't make much money but I got through college and then an M.Ed. The economic problem is that not only are illegals taking jobs that Americans refuse to do -or refuse to do for low wages, but the children they bring with them are given free education (they're even more costly than an American because we have to hire ESOL teachers and buy materials translated in Spanish just for them) by a tax base that they put nothing into.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 02/01/09 - 09:02 am
I'm not saying that I agree

I'm not saying that I agree with allowing illegal aliens to stay and work I was only stating the reality of why they can get jobs and therefore want to and try to stay.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 02/01/09 - 09:09 am
So,you're saying that my 15+

So,you're saying that my 15+ years of experience should be tossed out so an illegal worker can have my job?

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 02/01/09 - 09:12 am
How many of YOU will take a

How many of YOU will take a 50% pay cut so an illegal worker won't be hired to replace you?

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 02/01/09 - 09:23 am
No I'm not saying it SHOULD

No I'm not saying it SHOULD happen. I am saying the reality of it is that it IS happening. So, do you live on unemployment for however many months or do you keep the job and feed your family?

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 02/01/09 - 09:27 am
I have taken jobs that people

I have taken jobs that people would consider meanial so that my family and I could eat and sleep under a roof until I could find something better. Ya keep the job for the money you can bring in all the while looking for something better.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 02/01/09 - 09:31 am
THE point is- I should NOT be

THE point is- I should NOT be required to go back to being paid the money I was getting when I first started because of a population of LAW-BREAKERS

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 02/01/09 - 09:39 am
"No I'm not saying it SHOULD

"No I'm not saying it SHOULD happen" Posted by overburdened_taxpayer on Sun Feb 1, 2009 9:23 AM

riptide
riptide 02/01/09 - 09:50 am
we do have a problem with

we do have a problem with illegals. we are being flooded with those south of our borders. Wake up America, we have enough crime and gang related problems in our communities with natural citizens, now there is a growing crime wave developing with gangs made up with illegal aliens. if it continues I believe we will see the same lawlessness that the Mexican government is having. It is pass time for our Government to get a backbone and take WHATEVER action is needed.But to me that is just a dream. THEY ARE TOO BUSY protecting the Wall Street gangs and the ultra rich. We need new leaders with back bone and a heavy dose of common sense.

GR-10
GR-10 02/01/09 - 09:50 am
Adaptation is the key to

Adaptation is the key to successful survival. When I was growing up, we had a man who came by and we gave him our old clothes, basically rags. He took the rags home, split the cloth into strips, and made braided rugs to sell. We had another man who came by and we gave him our newspapers to sell. Immigrants, legal ones, will adapt and do what ever is necessary to keep self esteem and teach their children to do what ever is necessary to take care of their family. Resenting the fact there are people in this country illegally taking work, and lowering wages teaches the next generation not to adapt but to complain. I had a friend who use to teach financial classes, one young man had an overwhelming debt load. She told him to take another part time job to pay off his debt load and ease the burden on his family, he told her he had too much pride to take a menial low paying job. She told him, there is pride you can use to eat and feed your family, and false pride that will crash your family and create a debt load for them to try to resolve. People work hard to elevate their financial status. Now is the time to teach adaptation and pride in having self esteem to take care of our families.

shamrock
shamrock 02/01/09 - 10:00 am
Too many comments without a

Too many comments without a thing to say! Just more readers impressed with their lack of knowledge.