Jags ranked No. 1 in first region poll
Augusta State is the top-ranked team in the first NCAA Division II Southeast Region poll of the season.
The Jaguars are one of six Peach Belt Conference teams in the top 10, along with Georgia College and State, Armstrong Atlantic State, USC Aiken, Clayton State and North Georgia.
- In Pembroke, N.C., Chris Commons became the sixth member of USC Aiken's 1,000-point club in the No. 14 Pacers' 87-60 victory over UNC Pembroke.
Commons scored a game-high 25 points for the Pacers (13-4, 8-2 Peach Belt) and has 1,016 for his career. Cordaryl Ballard added a career-high 22 for USC Aiken, ranked fourth in the Southeast Region.
In the women's game, 23rd-ranked USC Aiken prevailed 66-61 for its eighth win in 10 games.
Kendra Chandler and Meredith Legg scored 14 points each to lead the Lady Pacers (15-5, 7-3), ranked fifth in the Southeast Region.
Injured Samuel out for spring practice
Georgia tailback Richard Samuel , a leading candidate to take over for starter Knowshon Moreno , will miss spring practice after having surgery on his left wrist.
Samuel is expected to recover in time for the 2009 season.
Samuel, who played behind Moreno as a freshman in 2008, had surgery Wednesday through a hand specialist at St. Mary's Hospital in Athens, Ga., according to a statement released by team spokesman Claude Felton .
- Bobby Bowden signed a one-year contract to coach a 34th season at Florida State.
- Clemson coach Dabo Swinney is getting a late jump on spring.
The Tigers have moved the start of spring practice back to March 9, two days later than originally planned.
Sutton to return as Braves' announcer
The Atlanta Braves will have a familiar name and voice back in their radio booth this season: Don Sutton said he's coming home.
Sutton is returning to the Braves' radio broadcast team after spending the past two seasons working on Washington Nationals' television broadcasts.
- Seattle traded reliever Aaron Heilman to the Chicago Cubs for infielder Ronny Cedeno and left-hander Garrett Olson .
- Free agent right-hander Jon Garland and Arizona reached a preliminary agreement on a one-year contract that includes a club option for 2010, a deal that would guarantee the pitcher about $7 million.
- Maicer Izturis and the Los Angeles Angels avoided salary arbitration, agreeing to a one-year contract worth $1.6 million.
Margarito, trainer's licenses suspended
Former welterweight titleholder Antonio Margarito had his license suspended by the California State Athletic Commission while it investigates a plaster-like substance found under the boxer's hand wraps before his loss last weekend to Shane Mosley .
The commission also suspended the license of Margarito's trainer Javier Capetillo and asked both to appear at a hearing Feb. 10.
- Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton formally agreed to fight for Hatton's 140-pound title on May 2, ending several weeks of negotiating. The bout will be at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas.
Beckham considers staying with Milan
David Beckham is enjoying his stay with AC Milan so much that he is considering remaining in Italy after his two-month loan from the Los Angeles Galaxy expires.
"Playing here is the dream of every footballer," Beckham said in an interview with Italian daily Corriere della Sera on Wednesday. "But deciding isn't easy. It's a question that takes time."
He scored in his second consecutive match for AC Milan, in a 1-1 tie against visiting Genoa.