Why not go after alcohol for a change?

I am not a smoker, but with all the goings-on about raising taxes per pack and all the letters being written about it, I would like to make a suggestion: Why not raise the taxes on beer, wine and liquor? I am sure more innocent people have died from drunken drivers than secondhand smoke.

The government always is raising taxes on everything else -- land, homes, gas, cigarettes, etc. Why not alcoholic beverages for a change?

Wonder why our congressman don't want to raise liquor taxes?

Susan Spence

Beech Island, S.C.

CarolT
CarolT 01/29/09 - 02:48 am
The anti-smokers lie. More

The anti-smokers lie. More than 50 studies show that human papillomaviruses cause over ten times more lung cancers than they pretend are caused by secondhand smoke. Passive smokers are more likely to have been exposed to this virus, so the anti-smokers' studies, which are all based on nothing but lifestyle questionnaires, have been cynically DESIGNED to falsely blame passive smoking for all those extra lung cancers that are really caused by HPV.

The anti-smokers have committed the same type of fraud with every disease they blame on smoking and passive smoking, as well as ignoring other types of evidence that proves they are lying, such as the fact that the death rates from asthma have more than doubled since their movement began.

And it's a lie that passive smoking causes heart disease. AMI deaths in Pueblo actually ROSE the year after the smoking ban.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/29/09 - 05:32 am
I at least agree with the

I at least agree with the title of this LTE. I go after alcohol at least 3 times a week. More if my DAWGS are playing football on Saturday. Go Susan...it's your birthday....

Talkatoast
Talkatoast 01/29/09 - 07:32 am
Alcohol is only dangerous if

Alcohol is only dangerous if someone makes it dangerous. But cigarettes are dangerous regardless of which moderation they are smoked in.

christian134
christian134 01/29/09 - 08:05 am
Amen to that Susan...Alcohol

Amen to that Susan...Alcohol is never seen as a drug simply because it was deemed legal...Alcohol is more abused, in my opinion, than drugs ever could be...Companies have random drug test but the tests they should preform would be a "pee" test for alcohol...How many have the morning after drink just to jump start them or a drinking lunch? This is more common that the employee slipping off to pop a pill or smoke a "joint"...None of the stimulants are right but one being legal is the cause and effect of many job related accidents or accidents related to happy hour on a daily basis...

soldout
soldout 01/29/09 - 08:16 am
Alcohol is a mocker and a

Alcohol is a mocker and a destroyer. God gave us a wonderful mind and body and alcohol destroys that a little at the time.

getalife
getalife 01/29/09 - 08:33 am
I think if you checked out

I think if you checked out the national statistics you will find that second-hand smoke accounts for many more deaths than DUI. I believe we should tax both tobacco and alcohol more.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 01/29/09 - 08:51 am
Carol surely you cannot think

Carol surely you cannot think that second hand smoke is good for you?

curly123053
curly123053 01/29/09 - 09:31 am
I say raise alcohol taxes 50%

I say raise alcohol taxes 50% and tobacco the same and see what kind of revenue is generated. Both of these vices could help fund all types of health and safety projects.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/29/09 - 10:04 am
I agree with this LTE. I

I agree with this LTE. I remember reading and hearing about a wreck on the same stretch of highway we were on in 2006 in Augusta-Richmond County in which two drunk drivers were street racing and they crashed into some other drivers. I was glad we left when we did. Had we left 30 minutes later, I believe that one or more of us would not have made it back to Williston alive.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/29/09 - 10:07 am
Riverman1
Riverman1 01/29/09 - 11:21 am
If y'all raise the tax on

If y'all raise the tax on alcohol too much, I'll start making my own for my personal drinking. That's perfectly legal. Smoking bothers the heck out of me even if I am drinking. Little kids inhale smoke floating around in the air. If smoking made you high or something I might consider it, but it is just a cancer causing habit that does nothing for you. You guys better quit that stuff.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/29/09 - 11:44 am
If you dont want to smoke,

If you dont want to smoke, don't, then it can't hurt you, if you don't want to be around second hand smoke , don't, then it can't hurt you. Maybe there are more deaths from an individuals choice to smoke, but the innocent ones killed by drunk drivers had no choice to move away from the drunk drivers!!! So just because the numbers are higher, IMO drunk drivers kill way more innocents who had no choice in the situation and it couldn't be avoided on the innocents part!!!! Almost all of the cigarette haters are more passionate about stopping others from slowly killing themselves or making you a little uncomfortable, but are never are as passionate about the number of innocent people the drinking kills!!!!! But sorry LTE writer, raising taxes for smokes may cause people who can't afford them to think twice about it, but a [filtered word] drunk driver won't be stopped at all by a higher tax on the alcohol, the only way to slow that down is for our justice system to start punishing these [filtered word]'s as they should be!!!!!!!

southernguy08
southernguy08 01/29/09 - 11:46 am
Tobacco and alcohol addicts

Tobacco and alcohol addicts are like most addicts. Most only care about feeding the habit and couldn't care less what it does to them or others. I have no problem raising "sin taxes," but we all should remember that raising them too much will only lead to smuggling and homemade brews. History shows this.

shivas
shivas 01/29/09 - 11:54 am
Raise the tax on fast food to

Raise the tax on fast food to 50%. Obese people are the biggest drains on society, and there is no value in fast food. Red wine is good for the circulation, and lowers cholesterol.

soldout
soldout 01/29/09 - 12:02 pm
There is no connection

There is no connection between good health and your cholesterol level. Bringing down Cholesterol using drugs is the biggest fraud ever pulled on the public. The body sets the cholesterol at the level it needs to be for your benefit. If you are over 60 and bring it down below 200 using drugs it does shorten life span. 75% of those who have strokes and heart attacks have low cholesterol; not high.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/29/09 - 01:48 pm
Sorry, shivas, no can do on

Sorry, shivas, no can do on your suggestion. Not all fast food places are like McDonalds. Some fast food places are quite healthy. Hollywood, CA-based California Pizza Kitchen is one such example. They are way more healthy than Domino's. And far more superior as well.

jack
jack 01/29/09 - 03:03 pm
Ms Spence, you obviously

Ms Spence, you obviously don't know that the major part of the price of beer, wine and liquor IS federal, state, and local government taxes (not to mention the high cost of a license to sell it). BTW, do you have any statistics to back up your assertions or is this just your opinion?

jack
jack 01/29/09 - 03:06 pm
Soldout, God also gave us

Soldout, God also gave us alcohol. Beer and wine are thousands of years old. Jesus made (first miracle) drank wine at the last supper (and no, it wasn't unfermented grape juice as the Baptists would have you believe).