Pride in America can shine through

President Obama's wife has said during the 2008 presidential campaign that for the first time in her life she is proud to be an American. I can now echo her sentiment.

When I was 17 years old, I volunteered for the Army. I was shipped to Fort Polk, La., where I took training, but when we were given weekend passes as blacks we were not allowed to enter the town of Leesville, La., by way of the main street. We were told to follow the railroad tracks, and we would find the areas where black people lived. We shipped out to Korea to fight in a war that we did not understand; however, we loved America but it did not love us back.

I am retired now, after having served honorably for 21 years, and today I can say with great pride that I love America. So, white Americans, please try to understand your black brothers and sisters when they voice anger and frustration. It is all because of reflective thinking.

God bless America and our president.

Joseph Diggs Sr.

Augusta

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 01/29/09 - 06:22 am
I don't know how in the world

I don't know how in the world the U.S. has gotten through the last 233 years. There was nothing to be proud of until now.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/29/09 - 06:26 am
Mr Diggs, thank you for your

Mr Diggs, thank you for your service. What happened to you was wrong. I apologize. I served in the Army as well. I suffered mistreatment as well. While in Viet Nam many of us who were putting our lives on the line out in the bush every day really looked foward to coming to a fire base for a shower, fresh clothes and a hot meal. Many times the race that was the majority who served at some of these fire bases walked right past us to the front of the line despite enjoying these benefits daily. The majority who did this were black. I guess we all have our own experiences in America. Some good....some not. By the way, I nor any of my friends ever referred to themselves as a hyphen American, just proud to be an American despite the bad times.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/29/09 - 08:34 am
Mr Diggs Sr., America has

Mr Diggs Sr., America has gone through times when different races were treated unfairly. The Chinese, Italians, Irish and Poles also have had times when they were treated like less than citizens. 1964 was 45 years ago and life for American blacks has improved greatly for all that wished to pursue the opportunity. So many were taught to wait for the free ride instead. Some succeeded and trained their children to succeed and some were abused by Katrina. Guess which group is JUST NOW deciding to be proud of their country. (hint: the same group that will find out they've been tricked again)

christian134
christian134 01/29/09 - 09:00 am
You either seek to put the

You either seek to put the past behind and go forward as Americans or we stand a good chance of loosing our country to our enemies....A lot of bad things happened over the past 150 years but it is in the past...We must all live united or we go the way of the "dodo bird"...I could talk about the past of my ancestors and their fight for equality but what is the point...We must look forward not backwards...Mr. Diggs I thank you for your service but sir move forward or risk losing it all...

soldout
soldout 01/29/09 - 09:21 am
Our best hope is that Obama

Our best hope is that Obama fail because everything he wants to do will be bad for America. I know we can't ge to the end times without America becoming weak and he is a tool that can get that done but it is still very sad.

fd1962
fd1962 01/29/09 - 09:34 am
Soldout, if most of us would

Soldout, if most of us would ever conceive such a ridiculous thought as your 8:21AM, we certainly would have enough self-respect to keep it unpublished. Next you'll be insisting that Obama is the Anti-Christ, I suppose. You must have a death wish on a very grand scale.

soldout
soldout 01/29/09 - 09:45 am
No death wish fd1962 but

No death wish fd1962 but just the knowledge that the Bible is always true. God will care for His people no matter what the government does or doesn't do. Government is not man's hope. Those who depend on Christ have peace, hope and joy. Those who depend on government usually have frustration, anger and despair. I always want those who promote sin to fail; that is just common sense.

fd1962
fd1962 01/29/09 - 09:56 am
Maybe in a monastary,

Maybe in a monastary, soldout. You are a simpleton and a pushover. Your attitude reminds me of the scent a rose leaves on the heel of a boot which has just crushed it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/29/09 - 11:25 am
It's not going to be the heel

It's not going to be the heel of a boot that crushes the rose leave but the mighty hand of God who will crush the US. fd1962, soldout's thoughts might appear ridiculous to you, but as children of God, we understand that even though these times are hard and uncertain. We know how it all ends. We are concerned about the economy but we don't dwell on the circumstances. We know that our God has always provided our needs and will continue to. Yes, we want a better america but our sights are on the final goal.

fd1962
fd1962 01/29/09 - 11:39 am
ICL, I've said it before,

ICL, I've said it before, but, YOU see signs everywhere that the end is near. Unfortunately, they are virtually the same signs that your ancestors saw millennia before you. If time doesn't run out soon, I suppose you and soldout will form a posse and run it out, because, in order to live FOREVER, we must die as quickly as possible?! I say, No Thanks, to your particular brand of exclusionary 'Christian' sectarianism. I see plenty of happy Buddists, Jews, Islamists, Secular Humanists, and Atheists too. Yes, praise God (of your choice), but don't forget to pass the ammunition either.

southernguy08
southernguy08 01/29/09 - 11:54 am
Unlike Michele O, I was

Unlike Michele O, I was really proud of America before O was elected. However, I don't want him to fail. I may have not voted for him, but I sure am praying for him. I just hope he wakes up and realizes he can't be a friend to everybody in the world. Our nation's safety requires strength and eternal vigilance!

fd1962
fd1962 01/29/09 - 11:58 am
Well stated, southernguy08.

Well stated, southernguy08.

soldout
soldout 01/29/09 - 12:56 pm
good words inchristlove; you

good words inchristlove; you understand the big picture. The big picture is very good. Very few understand the difference in happiness and peace and joy but I can tell you do.

jack
jack 01/29/09 - 03:37 pm
Mr Diggs, the american Indian

Mr Diggs, the american Indian as well a Americans of Japanese descent were treated just as badly or worse than blacks, but ALWAYS to my knowledge, loved this country and never lost pride in it. Both groups were some of the highest decorated in WW II per capita. As for Michelle Obama, she attended some of the best Ivy League schools available so hasn't suffered as she might like to think she has.

Obamessiah
Obamessiah 01/29/09 - 04:49 pm
This article is justs4's wet

This article is justs4's wet dream...

Obamessiah
Obamessiah 01/29/09 - 04:56 pm
In before justus4 makes

In before justus4 makes another ignorant, bigoted post about evil white people and all the evil white people things we have done...

KSL
KSL 01/30/09 - 02:31 am
Joseph Diggs, SR. I

Joseph Diggs, SR. I understand what you are saying. I truly do. But consider this, you having served our Country for 21 years, how do you feel about illegal immigrants who will claim a right to be here after serving our country here in the housing industry and the vegetable fields? I agree with you. I'm hoping you agree with me.

MOX gets funding in House bill

The appropriations bill that funds the Department of Energy and Army Corps of Engineers was passed late Thursday evening. The measure funds construction of the MOX plant in fiscal year 2015 at a ...