Affirmative action does lead to best

This letter is in response to Dwight Fleming's letter Jan. 22, "Sully proves best must be hired."

Mr. Fleming argues that affirmative action was used to discriminate against white male airline pilots when he was training and flying. The airlines were integrated in 1964, 16 years after the U.S. military was. Prior to that, all black candidates were rejected -- not based on their skill, but based on their color: 994 former Tuskegee Airmen applied to every airline, and all 994 of them were rejected.

The discrimination back then wasn't against white males; the discrimination was against females, minorities and progress. Were it not for affirmative action, the best would have never been hired.

The sad truth is, it took the action of law to get people and companies like the airlines to do what was obviously the right thing to do, hire the best. Having the right hue was the standard back then, and sadly in some places now. And for that, and for now, affirmative action is necessary.

William Terrell

Keysville

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 01/29/09 - 04:53 am
How can using race as a

How can using race as a factor in hiring give you the best qualified in ANYTHING. "I dream of a day when a person can be judged by the content of his character and not by the color of his skin." It's time to stop institutionalized racism, better known as affirmative action.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/29/09 - 05:15 am
The only way to hire the most

The only way to hire the most qualified or best applicant is do it based solely on their merit with no knowledge of color. Any preference based on color is discrimination by definition. Discrimination is not right for any race.

CH
CH 01/29/09 - 06:46 am
Billy, affirmative action

Billy, affirmative action doesn't guarantee the best, not even the best of a race or sex. It only guarantees that somebody else is going to be discriminated against because of their color or sex. 14PUTT and Sister Abdullah got it exactly right! The truth might hurt, but it's still the truth!

myobgdi
myobgdi 01/29/09 - 07:00 am
Having recently elected a

Having recently elected a "black" President, we have proved that Affirmative Action based on race is obsolete. But we should keep Affirmative Action. Only now, it should be based on poverty. Smart poor kids would get the same opportunity as smart rich kids. That's 'change' I can get behind!

justus4
justus4 01/29/09 - 07:19 am
Mr. Terrell is correct about

Mr. Terrell is correct about history and the Tuskegee Airmen, who proved their skills were superior to others, in terms of measurability. Their record of not losing a single bomber during thousands of combat missions is extremely exceptional compared to other squadrons. And after serving so heroic, they were denied opportunities at private airlines. Thats a crying shame. My father served in France, during WWII and recieved harsh UCMJ from racist southerners in uniform. The black soldier had two enemies: The Third Reich & racist individuals serving in unifrom. Most folk would not have handled that kinda situation without losing their mind. The African-American servicemembers that served then (taking all the abuse that they knew was wrong) paved the way for Affrimative Action because the government was responsible for past sins. And THATS the real point; to makeup for past sins. Atonement is critical to healing. Everbody knows that, but on matters of race the country is terribly slow in healing this awful wound.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/29/09 - 07:19 am
Our affirmative action

Our affirmative action president will be another failed experiment in "fairness". Back to real life in four more years.

DonH
DonH 01/29/09 - 07:25 am
Affirmative Action only

Affirmative Action only shifts the "discrimination" to favor a different group over another. While this may be good for the short term, it should never be considered the norm for the long term. All I see Affirmative Action doing is again favoring one group over another. If employers would be required to hire the best qualified by checking with E-verify, and hire without regard for race, religious beliefs, or national origin, the country would be much better off. That's what the Civil Rights Movement was really all about.

cparker
cparker 01/29/09 - 07:40 am
patriciathomas.... Get real!!

patriciathomas.... Get real!! You are the most racist person on this site. I have no respect for you and everyone knows you would never search for the merits of any minority because your first judgement is always about race. You would rather vote another eight years for a white failure at President for a black man regardless of his record because that's where your pathetic mentality feels most comfortable. Sadly, race is an issue in America and many blacks should not easily overlook the evidence that blacks and other minorities are treated indifferent simply due to race.

cparker
cparker 01/29/09 - 07:55 am
Racism has many victims...

Racism has many victims... There are circumstances that Affirmative Action would benefit whites more than blacks & women. It is rather humorous to listen to whites on this site make racial insults all week long, then today pretend to be victims. If I didn't want to get my suit dirty, I would roll over in the sand laughing. In a national opinion poll whites shared a low opinion of blacks despite their education, employment, or economic status. Pretty much the whole basis for their opinion was racial stereo typing & myths. That doesn't sound like blacks have a problem, it is whites have work to do respecting blacks. Please don't think I am niave, blacks can be racist too. Some day whites have to acknowledge not all blacks live in the projects just like all whites were not raised in trailer parks.

christian134
christian134 01/29/09 - 07:55 am
If affirmative action was

If affirmative action was still needed then I say why must the standards be dropped lower than they were just to accommodate those applying for jobs now?...There was a difference back in the last century than today...People are equal now...People need to be hired for their skills...Not because they are deemed minority...It would seem to me to be degrading to grab a job you're not qualified...I believe a person's skills are reflected in that person without the government intervening...You either qualify for the job or you don't...It is as simple or as difficult as that...

dashiel
dashiel 01/29/09 - 08:35 am
Those vying for the best jobs

Those vying for the best jobs probably resent affirmative action less than those who are only qualified for lower-paying positions. It really hurts to see a bunch of sorry racial stereotypes enjoying a position that you know you could perform just as poorly.

ThurstonHowell
ThurstonHowell 01/29/09 - 09:21 am
Atonement? Don't you mean

Atonement? Don't you mean entitlement Justus. That's as ridiculous a statement as PT's. You want to know why folks have a low opinion of blacks? Turn on the t.v.. A big difference between white and black folks is that whites will distance themselves from trash. Black folks defend other blacks no matter what, right or wrong it's always that way like that shooting in the projects last year. Newsflash: America has been trying to prop up black folks for over 40 years, some will stand and some won't. There is no conspiracy to keep the black man down, he does it to himself.

drumbeater1
drumbeater1 01/29/09 - 10:12 am
the wounds are slow to heal

the wounds are slow to heal because people like justus4 continually pick at the scab.
even frederick douglas,supposedly a reasonably learned man , pointed out there were people who benefitted from continued racism back in his day.
these people in question ,indeed, were black

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/29/09 - 10:15 am
ThurstonHowell, I totally

ThurstonHowell, I totally agree with you. I'm so tired of hearing excuses. It's time people stand up and take some responsibility. I don't deny the fact that black americans have been discriminated against but this is 2009 and it's time to stop living in the past. Atonement? How long must someone pay, is it until the black man feels he's ahead of the white man? Let's get real.....Until you take responsbility for your life and it's direction, you have no one to blame but yourself. We have too many successful Africian Americans in our society to continue to play this "I'm not treated fairly" game.

sprintman
sprintman 01/29/09 - 10:42 am
The funny thing is

The funny thing is affirmative actions has helped white woman the most. And help asians, blacks, and hispanics about the same. But yet inchristlove only associated AA with blacks. And of course there are alot of sucessful black people. That doesn't change the fact that young black and hispanic men are call thugs even before they commit a crime. Sometimes just by their hair style or clothing some whites call them thugs. And then white people like the white kids who shoot up columbine. Commit crimes and still aren't call thugs. Do you think if black males, or hispanic males were doing these same school shootings. You wouldn't hear the word thug a 100 times. It would be nothing about depression just their animals and thugs.

KingJames
KingJames 01/29/09 - 10:43 am
Affirmative Action originally

Affirmative Action originally had merit. The problem with the policy was that people had to hire minorities, and they did it whether or not the person was truly qualified. Knowledge, skills, and abilities SHOULD never be forsaken in order to create a diverse workplace. Qualified blacks needed a fair chance to be hired. This fair chance was distorted to hiring blacks just to keep up appearances. The worst part about it is that many whites now believe that if a black person has a decent job, then they got it because they were black, and that they are unqualified. I have seen it happen, even in the military (which does have affirmative action programs, but by the time you are done with training and education, you had better be up to par). Whites who feel that blacks are not qualified to be senior to them sometimes become insubordinate. Unfortunately, the senior black person has to prove their worthiness for the position in order to be respected. Affirmative Action was good for it's time, but should expire like everything else. Maybe then whites won't think unqualified blacks are taking their jobs.

southernguy08
southernguy08 01/29/09 - 10:49 am
So, Justus, we correct a past

So, Justus, we correct a past sin by committing another sin? I don't know another way to describe affirmative action. Sorry, but as my dad used to say, "Your hound won't hunt!" Obama's election proves that affirmative action is useless.

mgroothand
mgroothand 01/29/09 - 10:54 am
While AA may have been useful

While AA may have been useful in its day but just like unions, that system has outgrown its use, witness our current president. There is another way for employers to discriminate. Black children, especially girls, are often given first names that will immediately identify them as being black and may well be passed over for that reason when sending resumes. Parents should take that into consideration when naming their children.

KingJames
KingJames 01/29/09 - 11:31 am
Mgroothand, the naming

Mgroothand, the naming argument is a bust. Justification for it being nonviable is that there are so many people from other countries who have difficult to pronounce names now working in America. Companies don't care about names. If they feel you would be an asset, and increase profitability, then they will learn to pronounce your name or any derivative thereof that you deem acceptable. I'm sure Condolezza wasn't an acceptable name 50 years ago, but that didn't stop Dr. Rice, who happened to have been black, from becoming a very powerful woman. A person's name doesn't qualify or disqualify them from a job.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 01/29/09 - 11:31 am
Good points King James.

Good points King James.

southernguy08
southernguy08 01/29/09 - 11:54 am
Careful, BobbyH. You don't

Careful, BobbyH. You don't want to be guilty of profiling, do you?

jg41160
jg41160 01/29/09 - 11:57 am
Funny how so many point to

Funny how so many point to our new President as proof AA is no longer needed. Wonder if he would have gotten the same educational oppurtunities if AA never existed. Hmmm

bcs2k
bcs2k 01/29/09 - 11:59 am
I laugh as I read each GOP

I laugh as I read each GOP response. All of you are bold face liars if you say you believe in hiring the best qualified. Any chance of consideration of that argument was squashed on Nov. 4, 2008. You put aside your intellect and voted for a failed man -- a man that graduated near the bottom out a class of nearly 800, a failed pilot, a failed husband (cheated on first wife) and scandal tainted (found to be in "poor judgement"). A man who is weak in his knowledge of economics. That man was far, far, far from qualified. That man is John McCain. The McCain/Palin ticket would have put two dunces in charge of the disaster created by Bush (another dunce). You voted for McCain instead of a man who was unquestionably better qualified. Barack Obama -- Magna cum laude graduate of Harvard Law School and president of the Harvard Law Review. Obama -- a man successful in all endeavors, a loyal family man and scandal free. Stick your argument against Affirmative action and your statement of seeking the "best qualified" in the trash can. It can never be taken seriously again.

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 01/29/09 - 12:04 pm
Damn... Whats wrong w/ being

Damn... Whats wrong w/ being raised in a trailer park.. Oh thats right. Its your basic stereotype..

bcs2k
bcs2k 01/29/09 - 12:07 pm
I work in a

I work in a architect-engineering office. I am a black male with an engineering degree. I wish some of y'all would remove these non-degreed or degreed (but not in engineering or architecture) from my suite. The majority of white men and my office are not qualified. They know nothing about physics and multi-variable calculus and its applications yet they work on the same projects that I work on. I guess best qualified doesn't really matter for whites huh? It only matters for blacks, asians and middle eastern folks (I say that because ALL of the so-called minorities in my office have engineering or architectural degrees).

KingJames
KingJames 01/29/09 - 12:07 pm
JG, people are saying that AA

JG, people are saying that AA is no longer needed. The President was educated during a time when some thought there was a need for it. No one has said it shouldn't have existed. Most seem to think that it has served it's purpose and should be done away with. Afterall, the only color a true professional thinks about is green, as in Dollar Green. Bobby, I disagree with you on some of what you said, mainly because I wore corn rows for 2 years. I didn't do baggy clothes and hats, though because I'm tall and it's hard to find my inseam length in pants. But the point is people should not decide that someone is a thug until they prove themselves to be one. Sometimes all it takes is their speech and mannerisms, but not just their appearance. You should realize that to many "thug" is a fashion choice, and not a subculture or lifestyle. BTW, my hairstyle did not prevent me from being sent all over the country to represent my company. Although I had corn rows, my appearance was and still is always professional.

suga
suga 01/29/09 - 12:13 pm
B 4 I come a slave I'll be

B 4 I come a slave I'll be buried in my grave, then I'll be free. Unless you have truly walked in the shoes of the repressed then you will not know how they feel. Underqualified equals no job, Over qualified equals no job, and if it does you are not getting paid what you are worth or should be compared to others in the same position. So, affirmative action leveled the playing field for some. Ones merit, don't always cut the mustard either, I've been there, done that, and bought the shirt so go figure. Until justice flows like a roaring stream and hatred is no more, then and only then will we become great citizens and a nation.

KingJames
KingJames 01/29/09 - 12:45 pm
Bcs2k, I have the opposite

Bcs2k, I have the opposite situation. I work in the technology industry, but have a BA in Business Admin, Health Services Management. I was hired because of my Navy experience with medical and dental information systems. I was promoted because of my willingness to learn other things. I am now the configuration manager for my office. The folks in your office should try to increase their worth by learning more about what the professionals in the office do, even if it means they have to take classes. Personal development should also be a goal your firm promotes.

bcs2k
bcs2k 01/29/09 - 12:51 pm
I'm still stunned that on

I'm still stunned that on Nov. 4, 2008 the least qualified man lost -- but received almost half the popular vote (primarily from people who swear they always pick the best qualified). The American people dodged a bullet that day. Any comments yall make against affirmative action will fall on deaf ears (you had your chance to talk the talk and walk the walk). It really is sad that it exists but Nov. 4 proved it will be around for many years. Why? Because unqualified whites still get exceptions.

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 01/29/09 - 01:54 pm
no that isn't so, it isn't

no that isn't so, it isn't that we voted for mccain so much as voting against socialism, get that through your head. As a minority female I have to much pride to take a job based on a hand out. I don't want anything I haven't earned. Therefore I don't put that information down (it is OPTIONAL). Get some pride and quit taking the free ride on AA. Also I would rather be poor and live in a trailor park paying my own way, then live in a government housing project being the governments charity case.