Nurse turned away for treatment

I do not live in Augusta, but I am a frequent visitor of your city. I absolutely love it in Augusta. But this past weekend I was horrified by the treatment, or lack thereof, by an emergency services organization.

I tried to have my daughter, who had a fever of 104.2, seen at this facility this past Saturday only to be turned away at the door. The office would not be closing until 6 p.m., and we arrived shortly before 5 p.m. A security guard came to the door and asked me if I was picking up or dropping off. When I replied I was bringing my daughter, he rudely told me I could not bring her in.

When I asked why, he stated that the doctors told him to lock the doors early, for they wanted to get out right at six. When I asked to speak to someone in charge, he rudely closed the door in my face and said he took his orders from the doctors and I couldn't come in.

I am a registered nurse, and have worked in the hospital and office settings. My advice to these individuals is to pick a different career path, because obviously you got it wrong the first time around. Doctors and nurses should be compassionate individuals who put the care of patients first.

I would hate for these people to have someone they love treated with as little regard as my daughter and I were!

Catherine McElveen

Sumter, S.C.

SandyK2005
SandyK2005 01/22/09 - 02:39 am
My question to all this is:

My question to all this is: if your child has a fever of 104 why not the ER? Doctors offices will close at a set time, as they're not designed for emergency services, nor triage. Would you goto your doctor's office with signs of a heart attack? Even they would say, "Get to the ER STAT!"

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 01/22/09 - 04:44 am
HELLOOOO Sandy........... The

HELLOOOO Sandy........... The writer said an "emergency services organization", obviously refering to a Prompt Care Center. Have you ever sat in a hospital ER for hours waiting to be seen?? The lady has a good point. Maybe you should try to see it and then think before commenting!!

justus4
justus4 01/22/09 - 05:49 am
This can't be the entire set

This can't be the entire set of facts. Something is missing and it's probably material to the treatment she and her daughter received. This article demonstrates one view of the events and should be taken with a grain of salt.

55 F-100
55 F-100 01/22/09 - 06:03 am
If this did occur at a Prompt

If this did occur at a Prompt Care Center, then the facility should be named, and shamed into apologizing to Ms. McElveen. It was entirely appropriate for Ms. McElveen to visit such a facility, because that is EXACTLY their prupose! It would have been wildly inappropriate to visit a hospital E.R. The names of the doctors and nurses on duty should be reported to their respective licensing boards, and the facility named in the A.C.----IF-----the security officer's story is checked out and proved to be valid. If the security officer was lying, then that mut's name should be named in the A.C. in a story detailing why he was fired!!!

HumanRights
HumanRights 01/22/09 - 06:32 am
This Nurse says there should

This Nurse says there should be a full investigation followed by appropriate action. This is outrageous!

myobgdi
myobgdi 01/22/09 - 07:04 am
If she is an RN, she should

If she is an RN, she should have known her kid was sick before 5PM. You don't pop up with a 104 fever in one minute. Why didn't she bring the kid at 4PM or 3 PM? Too busy? Also, most of these places work 10 or 12 hours. Would YOU want to stay late for someone who couldn't bother showing up with a sick kid until late afternoon? Last but not least, how many people were already in the waiting room waitiing to be seen? Catherine needs to take better care of her kid, be more compassionate and get a life!

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/22/09 - 07:28 am
Well, now at least SOMEONE

Well, now at least SOMEONE now knows how it feels for women seeking abortions of their own free will to be denied services by quacks who use religion as a crutch.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/22/09 - 07:29 am
...anyways, If they were

...anyways, If they were closing within the next hour, then the LTE writher should have taken her daughter to a facility that is open around-the-clock.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/22/09 - 07:32 am
Everything's about killing

Everything's about killing babies with you, isn't it willi?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/22/09 - 07:34 am
As Americans, we want medical

As Americans, we want medical care on demand regardless of the time of day. That service just isn't available in Augusta.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/22/09 - 07:45 am
That isn't available in a

That isn't available in a place that has 190,000 people? You've got to be kidding me now, pat. MCG is there. So is University Hospital, the hospital that one of my high school friends from Williston-Elko works at.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 01/22/09 - 07:47 am
Didn't you know PT

Didn't you know PT Abortionists should make house calls. How hard is it to find a rusty coathanger in these modern times. If women want to murders fetuses, they should have to do it themselves. Then God can decide who lives and who dies. Sounds just to me. The fetus doesn't stand a chance, so why save the woman? Let her die for her "Mistake". If she really wants to not be pregnant that bad, let her take her chances. Then maybe they'll learn to say no more often.

SCGAL53
SCGAL53 01/22/09 - 07:51 am
I think that criticizing the

I think that criticizing the mother is uncalled for.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/22/09 - 08:14 am
as usual willi, you didn't

as usual willi, you didn't read before you responded or you chose to respond to something not written. Hint: this is probably why people think you act like a moron.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/22/09 - 08:47 am
I absolutely agree, ITDoc.

I absolutely agree, ITDoc. Imagine if I wanted to go to IGA for some food and they were about to close (at 9 p.m.) and I wanted it to be open for a little bit longer. Imagine the reaction I would get, in addition to being turned away.

mommy22girls
mommy22girls 01/22/09 - 08:49 am
if this facility advertises

if this facility advertises to close at six then they do not need to close until six. And it does not necessarily have to be Prompt Care, there are several other emergency care facilities. Two weeks before Christmas I took my husband to the doctor, his appointment was the very last appointment of the day, and because my husband was weak and wanted to lie down the doctor came in, never examined him, never checked his soar throat, and was very rude, he automatically admitted my husband into the hospital and then said, "They can find out whats wrong with him, we are closing right now". Being it was Christmas and we did not want and unnecessary hospital bill I took him to Prompt Care for a second opinion, got there right at closing and not only did he receive a proper examine they also gave him two bags of IV and stayed after an hours by an hour to make sure he received all of him IV. Come to find out he an Intestinal Flu with dehydration.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/22/09 - 08:50 am
Good morning, PY. I must

Good morning, PY. I must disagree with you on this comment. People don't just think will is a moron.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/22/09 - 08:54 am
ITDoc, didn't the LTE say the

ITDoc, didn't the LTE say the offices were being closed more than an hour earlier than the posted time? Your 7:46 post comes across as being written by willi.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/22/09 - 08:54 am
mommy22girls, the LTE writer

mommy22girls, the LTE writer must have read just the weekday hours and interpreted it as closing at 6 p.m. everyday. Otherwise, she would not have wrote the LTE.

christian134
christian134 01/22/09 - 08:57 am
willistontownsc your analogy

willistontownsc your analogy with a woman seeking care for her child is not the same category as one waiting to have a human being executed...Catherine Elveen you must consult an attorney, complain to the Medical Community(not that it will help in many cases) make public who these doctors are and the name on their institution...Your child was put at unnecessary risk as well as others who attempt to infringe on the "good" doctors time...They don't mind taking the money but they do not want to have their leisure time interrupted or their order countermanded...Yep been there and had the "privilege" of being turned down for care of a couple of my children years ago...

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/22/09 - 08:57 am
I was being tactful, PUTT. My

I was being tactful, PUTT. My comment was that willi acts like a moron, not that she is a moron. I have standards.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/22/09 - 09:00 am
Sorry, christian134, it is

Sorry, christian134, it is the same in that a patient was turned away. That is what I was getting to. Stop getting blinded by the light.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 01/22/09 - 09:01 am
myobgdi, Would you rush your

myobgdi, Would you rush your child to the Dr. with a 99 temp, or wait and see if things get worse? My kids could run a marathon with a 102 without a symptom. Your spouse must tend to your kids because you're pretty clueless.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/22/09 - 09:01 am
Medical facilities usually

Medical facilities usually close earlier on weekends than they do on weekdays. Keep that in mind.

mommy22girls
mommy22girls 01/22/09 - 09:04 am
Prompt Care does not close

Prompt Care does not close until seven on the weekdays. After the experience we had at our private doctors office we just prefer to go to Prompt Care all together.

christian134
christian134 01/22/09 - 09:04 am
Your type of light is more in

Your type of light is more in mind with a dark light willistontownsc...

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/22/09 - 09:05 am
Ok, sorry for the incorrect

Ok, sorry for the incorrect info, mommy22girls.

christian134
christian134 01/22/09 - 09:08 am
Wonder if the time will roll

Wonder if the time will roll around willistontownsc when you or someone you love will need attention or die...I hope not but you know things have a terrible way of coming back around...These people who are supposed to be caregivers and were still open but unwilling to be bothered by another person...As such they, the "doctors", deserve to be placed under intense scrutiny and review their medical practices...

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/22/09 - 09:08 am
In that case, there are 199

In that case, there are 199 million 999 thousand 999 others that have the same "dark light" as me.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 01/22/09 - 09:12 am
I agree with you SCGAL 53.

I agree with you SCGAL 53. This Mother was just expressing a concern and became the target of the usual NAYSAYERS. These same people will raise hell if their local bank closed 5 minutes early. MYOB how do you know that the Mother did not come home from work and find her Daughter suffering from that high fever?