Inauguration invites cause confusion

Bridgett Byrd opened up a piece of mail Monday that turned out to be a gold-sealed invitation to one of the most highly touted events of the year.

"God showed favor, and here I am with an invitation," the Hephzibah woman said Tuesday. "Everyone didn't receive one, so it's an honor and a blessing."

Mrs. Byrd was one of a million supporters of President-elect Obama to receive the invitations enclosed in an envelope that reads "handle with care."

The Presidential Inaugural Committee sent out the invitations, accompanied by a letter explaining they are commemorative, said Melanie Roussell, spokeswoman for the Presidential Inaugural Committee.

Despite the explanation, the Washington, D.C.-based organization has received several calls throughout the week from supporters believing the invitations to be their admission to inaugural events Tuesday.

"We invite them to participate from their living rooms, the inaugural celebrations in their town, and they can still come to the National Mall to watch the event on the jumbo screens," Ms. Rousell said. "They can be a part of this historic event no matter where they are, but they will need tickets to attend any of the inaugural events."

Tickets to Mr. Obama's swearing in were made available by members of Congress, Ms. Rousell said.

Sen. Saxby Chambliss's office received about 30,000 requests and gave out 400 tickets months ago, said Ashley Nelson, the senator's press secretary.

About 200 tickets were distributed to the 22 counties in U.S. Rep. John Barrow's district this week, said Jane Brodsky, communications director for the congressman.

Although she understands the invitation is a commemorative, Mrs. Byrd said she and her husband, Terrell Byrd, are planning to travel to Washington this weekend.

"This is something that will never happen again," she said. "I'm just happy I was chosen, and I'm excited to attend."

Reach Stephanie Toone at (706) 823-3215 or stephanie.toone@augustachronicle.com.

Nammy
Nammy 01/16/09 - 02:16 am
Man, I wonder if Rose got

Man, I wonder if Rose got hers? Did ya, huh, did ya? lol (': Were you one of the "chosen" ones?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/16/09 - 04:49 am
It's going to be hilarious

It's going to be hilarious when people show up and try to get into inaugural events with these commemorative "invitations." I'd send him a commemorative regrets.

karmakills123
karmakills123 01/16/09 - 05:14 am
lol................"handle

lol................"handle with care"??[filtered word]??

bcs2k
bcs2k 01/16/09 - 05:48 am
amazing how deep the hate and

amazing how deep the hate and pettiness the early morning CSRA hate is. Quick question: Why? .......................Heck don't both answering -- nobody cares.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/16/09 - 06:33 am
I think it was mean to send

I think it was mean to send out these "commemorative" invitations. Obama supporters have already shown they're easily confused and easily tricked, but rubbing their faces in it is just mean. Think of how many will spend the hundreds of dollars to fly or drive to D.C. for the $160million extravaganza just to find their "invitation" is "commemorative". I suspect this is just more of the same Obama trickery we can expect for the 4 year duration of his reign.

SCGAL53
SCGAL53 01/16/09 - 06:35 am
I guess they'll be

I guess they'll be stimulating the economy by traveling to D.C.

christian134
christian134 01/16/09 - 06:45 am
That is one way of looking at

That is one way of looking at it SCGAL...:-) I am surprised the followers of Obama will continue to support him down the road when they do not get what was promised...It might all be commemorative as well...Oh my it might just be that Obama is actually a politician like all other politicians...But who knows we may all be pleasantly surprised...I am in a partial optimistic mood this fine cold morning...

HillGuy
HillGuy 01/16/09 - 06:50 am
I guess they'll be

I guess they'll be dissappointed when they don't get their commemorative checks.

harrisjr
harrisjr 01/16/09 - 07:16 am
I wish all of you traveling

I wish all of you traveling to DC either by
plane, train, or automobile a safe and eventful trip. Have fun!!!!

augustadog
augustadog 01/16/09 - 07:26 am
I have some "Commemorative"

I have some "Commemorative" Masters tickets for sale. Suitable for framing, but you have to watch the tournament from your living room. How dumb was this... They should have waited until after the inauguration to send out Commemoratives so there would be no confusion.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 01/16/09 - 07:28 am
Yes and that God will SHINE

Yes and that God will SHINE on every event at the Inaugration, and hedge in everyone attending from near and far with his angels encamped round about them in Jesus name.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 01/16/09 - 07:31 am
riverman. i got mine.

riverman. i got mine. hahahaha!

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 01/16/09 - 07:32 am
I will continue to pray

I will continue to pray online here EVERYDAY for the protection of God from the President Elect, his family, friends, and those who protect him, and for everyone attending from around the world, that GOD will hedge them in and let no hurt harm or danger come upon anyone, in Jesus Name.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 01/16/09 - 07:34 am
PT, nothing mean about it. It

PT, nothing mean about it. It clearly stated that this was NOT for admission to ANY official event. There is nothing unusually about it. These things happen at every inauguration. Not exclusive to any particular party. Sorry to burst your bubble.

jack234
jack234 01/16/09 - 07:36 am
Amen!

Amen!

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 01/16/09 - 07:36 am
Amazing that it does not take

Amazing that it does not take much to amuse so called conservatives.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 01/16/09 - 07:46 am
And HYPO I'm sure it has the

And HYPO I'm sure it has the word "Commemorative" on it as well and in the body of the letter addressed to her, they even have commemorative Metro smart cards to ride the bus/train this weekend. These people are still angry and will be angry and will stay angry and will live in anger for the next four years. I just pray some of this anger don't kill them.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/16/09 - 07:53 am
What amazes me is even

What amazes me is even thought this is a historical event, the way the economy is with people loosing jobs and fighting to make ends meet, people will still spend hundreds (or thousands)of dollars for travel, hotel, and food to attend this event when they can view it on their TV. Most people will be watching it on a big screen tv anyway when they get there.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 01/16/09 - 07:59 am
This can't be any worse than

This can't be any worse than going to the Rose Bowl parade, the Super Bowl, the Masters Tourney etc, people spend money for gas and travel for those things and can watch them on TV so what's the difference other than money?

jack234
jack234 01/16/09 - 08:04 am
With an event as historical

With an event as historical and momentous as this, we can expect some small glitches in the system. The swearing in is still scheduled as planned. We have never witnessed an event of this historical proportion before in the history of our great nation. It doesn't seem fair to compare these little oversights to the Katrina fiasco. Now, I wish everyone a blessed day, as the day we have all waited for, approaches. Congratulations to President Bush on his retirement. May he find peace and enjoyment on his ranch in Texas,

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 01/16/09 - 08:09 am
Just like the Obama Promises,

Just like the Obama Promises, Not worth the paper its printed on. This is just too funny. With the mentality of most of the Obama supporters they are sure to think it is a real invite.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/16/09 - 08:10 am
commemorative checks, lol

commemorative checks, lol HillGuy. Up the Obama! Amen

jack234
jack234 01/16/09 - 08:17 am
Patriciathomas: I hope it

Patriciathomas: I hope it doesn't take you 8 years to get over the election. 8 years is a very long, long, long time. HELLO! HELLO! On to the Oval Office. Don't miss it, be a part of history for a change. You've stood on the sidelines too long. Get involved. Tell your neighbor how excited you are. Shock them. HELLO! HELLO!

wise ole man
wise ole man 01/16/09 - 08:23 am
jackfruit- going to the Rose

jackfruit- going to the Rose bowl parade, Masters ect, is usually paid for by the individual- not the tax payer which by the way is footing the bill for the inauguration celebration. I say let them party all night IF, and if is the operative word here, the president elect or the party that elected him is paying the bill- not the tax payers of America. I wonder if anyone is going to complain about the hotels in and around Washington DC price gouging their rooms like people in Augusta complain about hotel prices here during Masters?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/16/09 - 08:23 am
stand by for your 8 year

stand by for your 8 year surprise, silly jack234, it'll only take 4 to complete.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 01/16/09 - 08:29 am
It was cold last night brrrrr

It was cold last night brrrrr the ice is THICK on the banks of the Potomac River brrrrrrr.

SusieQ
SusieQ 01/16/09 - 08:31 am
Commemorative

Commemorative Invitations!!!!! Have fun y'all--- I'll be watching from my big screen TV at my home only out of curiosity, not because it's the greatest event in history!! SusieQ

jack234
jack234 01/16/09 - 08:32 am
I don't recall voting on the

I don't recall voting on the rose bowl or the masters. The electorate voted for the president and everything that goes with this momentous occurence. We voted for what the majority of the American people wanted and every president has had an inaugration. We don't wish to make an exception now. Time marches on as do the history of this great country. Be proud with the rest of us here in our America. HELLO! HELLO!

WW1949
WW1949 01/16/09 - 08:34 am
jack, did the phone line go

jack, did the phone line go dead. Hello, Hello or do you need a hearing aid?

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 01/16/09 - 08:35 am
We plan to eat at Bens Chilli

We plan to eat at Bens Chilli Bowl this weekend LOL... *UGH* looks over at my prilosec.