Home   |   News   |   Sports   |   Business   |   Opinion   |   Things to Do   |   Blogs   |   Photos   |   Video

Player of the Week: Ashley Watts

SCHOOL: Butler Class: Soph. Pos.: Point guard Ht.: 5-foot-5

Butler High School sophomore Ashley Watts  Michael Holahan/Staff
Michael Holahan/Staff
Butler High School sophomore Ashley Watts

HOW SHE FARED: Watts fell three rebounds short of a triple-double (20 points, 10 assists, seven rebounds) in a win over Washington-Wilkes, then led Butler past Harlem in a battle of Region 3-AAAA unbeatens. Against Harlem, Watts had 18 points and six assists.

WATTS ON WATTS: "It was hard to get people to listen to me last year because I was only a freshman. I feel like now everyone's listening to me, and I'm getting respect. I'm trying to be more of a leader. ... I've heard some people saying that (Butler) is having success because of me, but it's really about the team. We have a team mindset, and that's what's helping us."

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING: "Ashley plays with a great passion. I want some of the other girls to have that feeling she has. She just loves, loves, loves the game of basketball." -- Butler coach Keisha Stewart

cottoncandy16
cottoncandy16 01/09/09 - 08:21 am
Congrads.... We're all proud

Congrads.... We're all proud of you. Go Butler Bulldogs!

scoop14
scoop14 01/09/09 - 09:18 am
AW will be a GREAT player I

AW will be a GREAT player I can only hope that she keeps that great attitude that she has.

jerold
jerold 01/09/09 - 09:54 am
Good choice for player of the

Good choice for player of the week. She must continue to improve and that is scary because she is very good at this level. Keep up the good work. Hope to see you at the next level in a couple of years.

nicole4
nicole4 01/09/09 - 10:54 am
Good job Ashley, keep you

Good job Ashley, keep you head up and the sky is the limit for you and your team. Go Dogs!!!!!!!!!

Positive Thinker
Positive Thinker 01/09/09 - 11:33 am
Great Job hard worker.

Great Job hard worker. Train/practice hard and at every level never forget there is NO I in TEAM!

Contrarian Coach
Contrarian Coach 01/09/09 - 01:34 pm
I am so glad that Butler

I am so glad that Butler finally has a positive story. I pray that Ashley continues to improve as a student and a player so that she will be able to handle any hype or pressure that may come her way.

Now, if only Butler, as a school, can make the news on a positive note academically...

duckmane2007
duckmane2007 01/09/09 - 01:41 pm
Im proud of you Ashley, this

Im proud of you Ashley, this bernard your cousin in Atlanta,ga. It is good to see you playing with passion and heart, your game is getting better and better. Hope to see you in the finals at gwinnett arena.

Pursefreak
Pursefreak 01/09/09 - 10:27 pm
Good job Ashley! You're a

Good job Ashley! You're a wonderful athlete and a natural leader!

slickrayder
slickrayder 12/20/09 - 07:52 pm
hey gurl,,you know who it

hey gurl,,you know who it is,,,ur uncle . girl we as a family are so pround and excited for you.but always remember who u are and where u came from...if there is anyone young or old that u can talk to or help,always try to ,,,,,the sky is tha limit so keep reaching up ,,,one day u will grab a STAR,,,,,WE LOVE U GURL

Clemson, Auburn play 2016-17

Clemson and Auburn have scheduled a home-and-home football series for the 2016 and 2017 seasons, the schools announced Wednesday.