Woman who killed 2 children in 2007 will be committed

A 23-year-old Augusta mother who stabbed her two children to death and was found not guilty by reason of insanity Wednesday told a doctor who examined her that she gave in to the voices in her head demanding she kill them.

Chief Judge J. Carlisle Overstreet, who presided over Jeanette M. Hawes' case and conducted Wednesday's bench trial in Richmond County Superior Court, issued the verdict on the murder charges and ordered Ms. Hawes committed.

The only issue Wednesday was Ms. Hawes' mental state when she killed her children in November 2007.

To the two doctors who examined Ms. Hawes, it was clear she was insane at the time she killed Shakayla Hawes, 3, and Jordan Hawes, 1, in the bathroom of a Lumpkin Road convenience store.

She stabbed Shakayla 11 times over her heart, piercing it once, according to the autopsy report. The toddler had a cut on her hand consistent with a defensive wound. The boy had two cuts in the heart area and four small puncture marks on his chest. One of the cuts went through his heart, according to the autopsy report.

Susan Haverstock, a board-certified psychiatrist and associate clinical professor at the Medical College of Georgia, testified that she believes Ms. Hawes suffered a psychotic break common to people as they develop schizophrenia.

Ms. Hawes became paranoid and believed people she worked with at the post office were out to get her months before the killings. She began having crying spells and was laid off or fired, Dr. Haverstock found. Ms. Hawes began hearing voices, and in July 2007 she was prescribed an antidepressant because she was depressed, anxious and not sleeping well.

In the days leading up to the stabbings, the paranoia increased. She began a bizarre journey to Atlanta, back to Augusta and then to Aiken with her two children in tow, the doctor said.

The voices she had been hearing for months were now directing her actions, the doctor found.

On Nov. 29, 2007, she picked up a kitchen knife and walked about a mile with her children to the Texaco gas station on Lumpkin Road.

"I didn't want them to have to run anymore," Ms. Hawes told Dr. Haverstock. "I was trying to protect them ... to stop them from being chased.

"I heard voices in the bathroom telling me to stab my kids."

Psychologist Gordon Brown, who also evaluated Ms. Hawes, testified that he agreed Ms. Hawes was acting with a delusional compulsion and was unable to tell right from wrong.

Assistant District Attorney Philip Catalano said prosecutors looked at every piece of evidence that might indicate Ms. Hawes was sane but nothing countered the doctors' findings.

Defense attorney Barry Middleton asked the judge for the not guilty verdict, arguing that the evidence presented proved Ms. Hawes was not sane when she killed the children.

The judge agreed.

In the courtroom, Ms. Hawes sobbed into a pile of tissue as Mr. Middleton read the summary of the stipulation of the facts that she agreed to.

Ms. Hawes will undergo a mental evaluation within 30 days, and a report will be prepared for Judge Overstreet. State law gives the judge the responsibility to determine if and when a commitment to a mental hospital is no longer necessary.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

Comments (307)

laprince
laprince 01/08/09 - 11:34 am

I4PUTT how do you know she

I4PUTT how do you know she was evil or insane. It was an evil demonic attack. If you have been faking sanity for years then you are telling everyone you are insane so your opinions are insane.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/08/09 - 11:38 am

icanusethat...please go

icanusethat...please go somewhere else and give it a rest. No one has made this a racial issue so please keep your racist opinion to yourself. Realist, I appauld your honesty and pray all goes well with you. It's not easy to voice your weakeness but your testimony that mental illness can be managed so you can live a normal life is commendable. The only thing I want to say is that it's not the "good Christian folk" that want to condemn you or "tear" you up, most times it's the individuals who CLAIM to be good chrisitian folk.

JordanNicoleCarpenter
JordanNicoleCarpenter 01/08/09 - 11:39 am

she dosent deserve this she

she dosent deserve this
she needs to either be locked up FOREVER or she needs death
she killed babies
no person that can kills kids deserve to LIVE

stillamazed
stillamazed 01/08/09 - 11:39 am

Mental illness can affect any

Mental illness can affect any of us or our families at any time regardless of race or sex. Some of you act as if this woman will not be punished, have you ever been inside a mental hospital before? Apparently not, it isn't pretty and life will not be lying in bed eating bon bons for her, how long she will have to stay is yet to be desided, yet you act as if she will be out in a month, you don't know that. Hopefully this woman will get the medication and the counseling she needs so if ORwhen she ever gets out she can live a productive life. And to those of you comparing this to women who kill because they were abused, schizophrenia is different from abuse. Not to say if I was being beaten everyday that I may not kill but it isn't the same.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 01/08/09 - 11:44 am

Let me set the record

Let me set the record straight for all the race baiters out there that seem to think everyone is making this a racial thing. ANY parent of ANY COLOR that kills their child deserves either the death penalty or a 6X6 jail cell until the day they die. Does that make it clear for you now?

I_Wear_Lipstick_2
I_Wear_Lipstick_2 01/08/09 - 11:46 am

Okay people, so she was crazy

Okay people, so she was crazy when she killed her kids. Fine. Lock her up in a mental hospital. Whatever. But don't give Overstreet the power to let her out whenever he feels like it. SHe should have to stay locked in a loony bin for as long as she'd be in prison if they deemed her sane. Then tie her tubes and be done with it. Period. The thought of one man having the power to release her whenever he says she's all better, and then allowing her to reproduce again...is just plain scary.

laprince
laprince 01/08/09 - 11:46 am

JordanNcholeCarpenter get

JordanNcholeCarpenter get wisdom and in all thy getting, get understanding

I_Wear_Lipstick_2
I_Wear_Lipstick_2 01/08/09 - 11:47 am

In fact, now that I think

In fact, now that I think about it...lock her in a padded room and don't give her any meds. Let the voices continue to talk to her for the next 60 years. That's justice.

laprince
laprince 01/08/09 - 11:52 am

The woman hasn't even arrived

The woman hasn't even arrived at the mental institution yet and some of you all are already coming up with results of what's going to happen. Some of you should be so thankful to God that this didn't happen to you. I also want to comment on her hairdo. The inmates in the jail did her hair, so what do you expect. She didn't go to the hairdresser. Some of you need to GET A LIFE

karmakills123
karmakills123 01/08/09 - 11:55 am

Those babies are in a much

Those babies are in a much better place..I am sure their lives would have been hell had they lived...she did them a favor and now she will get all the drugs she needs to block out what she did....God be with her.......................only one more thing and if it makes some of the more "righteous indignated" so be it... but what the hell was that on her head??? And how long did it take some basket weaver to put that thng on her head?????? And WHY ???????

jkitchens
jkitchens 01/08/09 - 11:56 am

who cares if she's "crazy".

who cares if she's "crazy". they need to give her the needle!! it is totally uncalled for to kill your kids, no matter how "crazy" you are. but i call BS on the "crazy" accusation. if she had such a history of "mental illness" the family should have stepped in a took the kids. the final answer in this problem is to execute her. none of this "locked up in a mental hospital" bullcrap. she killed, she should be killed, end of story!!

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 01/08/09 - 11:57 am

The inmates in jail didn't do

The inmates in jail didn't do her hair in that pic. That is not a mug shot. You can clearly see a child beside her. That is a cropped family photo.

laprince
laprince 01/08/09 - 12:00 pm

i wear lipstick2 you are a

i wear lipstick2 you are a cruel person with no knowledge of mental illness and you have a anger problem and a one track mind. Nobody can tell you nothing because you have all the answers. You need to look in the mirror and clean around your own front door. I wonder how many skeletons you have in the closest. I'm sure God has had mercy on you too for something.

laprince
laprince 01/08/09 - 12:02 pm

I mean the hairdo on T.V.

I mean the hairdo on T.V. YESTERDAY

GSneed
GSneed 01/08/09 - 12:02 pm

Does anyone remember the 2

Does anyone remember the 2 mothers in TX, one who recently drowned all her children in the tub and the other that hung them all in her closet? Neither mother was Black, yet I dont see you calling for the death penalty of those ladies. They were considered mentally ill. Oh I get it, white and you commit this heinous crime and you're just crazy...Black and you deserve the needle. Geez, my people cant get a break here in Augusta!

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 01/08/09 - 12:03 pm

Didn't see that so I cannot

Didn't see that so I cannot comment on it. Doesn't matter to me about her hair anyway. Matters to me that a child killer has the possibility of being released on society one day.

atwitsend
atwitsend 01/08/09 - 12:04 pm

MY 'voices' are telling me to

MY 'voices' are telling me to stop reading this stupid newspaper.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 01/08/09 - 12:05 pm

Gsneed are you selectively

Gsneed are you selectively reading posts? I will say it again so even your simple mind can see it. WHITE or BLACK any parent that kills their child deserves the death penalty. There....you see it now?

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 01/08/09 - 12:05 pm

She did them a FAVOR, What...

She did them a FAVOR, What... Lord help us. She did them a favor by killing them? Those kids probablay would have had a great life had they lived.

laprince
laprince 01/08/09 - 12:05 pm

Unkowledgeable of the full

Unkowledgeable of the full story jkitchens, she went to her family first, they rejected her. The family wouldn't help her and they are now living in regret. You are another one who doesn't know anything about mental illness or demons.

I_Wear_Lipstick_2
I_Wear_Lipstick_2 01/08/09 - 12:09 pm

laprince, you're right.

laprince, you're right. "Nobody can tell me nothing." Means a lot coming from a fine scholar like yourself. Truly it does.

laprince
laprince 01/08/09 - 12:12 pm

GnipGnop you don't have a

GnipGnop you don't have a clue either and why are you worrying about when she gets out before she gets there. Jesus did away with the eye for and eye tooth for a tooth. Forgive, love, help and pray. She's mental (FOR REAL) except that and deal with your anger. HAVE MERCY ON HER SOUL... She's a basket case right now.

laprince
laprince 01/08/09 - 12:14 pm

I WEAR LIPSTICK 2, I'm glad

I WEAR LIPSTICK 2, I'm glad you recognize because the truth is the light. I still say the sme about you..

joeuser
joeuser 01/08/09 - 12:16 pm

Let's see...Woman

Let's see...Woman accidentally leaves baby in car in 90 degree heat, child dies, mother devestated....mother arrested and actually gets jail time. Woman knowingly puts harmful drugs in her body, has hallucinations, brutally murders her two children. She is declared not guilty by reason of insanity and very well may be back on the streets in several years...THAT'S insane.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 01/08/09 - 12:18 pm

LOL at Black women, a mess,

LOL at Black women, a mess, seems all your eyes see is BLACK, what about WOMEN in general who do this. Is it just black women who get welfare do you know this for a fact. Your mind is limited to BLACK WHITE that's basically all you see, you are about 40 years old or older right Karma?

laprince
laprince 01/08/09 - 12:19 pm

joeuser how do you know miss

joeuser how do you know miss hawews used drugs, where is your evidence. Don't stereotype and put all these cases in the same boat.

NappyJackson
NappyJackson 01/08/09 - 12:21 pm

So what if she "heard

So what if she "heard voices"...I hear voices, too, only I call it my conscience....if she is insane, then tell her the trial was a contest and she just won the grand prize, a trip on the carnival ride "Chamber of Gas"

suburbsofWestAugustaConi
suburbsofWestAugustaConi 01/08/09 - 12:21 pm

Karmakills123 what a stupid

Karmakills123 what a stupid remark. Why do white people like yourself always when you talk about welfare. Never bring up the fact the 36% the majority of people on welfare. Are single poor white mothers's with kids. You have no male role model in their lives. So what has LBJ done to the white community. Whats our excuse since were white. While welfare does have postives and minuses. Seems like you have never been to a barrio, trailer park, or rural area in america.

jkitchens
jkitchens 01/08/09 - 12:21 pm

laprince, actually i just

laprince, actually i just read another story about this "mentally ill" girl and the father figure in her life said it was obvious she had mental problems. they should have taken the kids away and got her help. and i kinda like the comment about not giving her any meds and lock her in a padded cell with her "voices". im not knocking people with really mental problems. but it seems like an easy go-to answer for her and her lawyers.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 01/08/09 - 12:23 pm

I have a clue that anyone

I have a clue that anyone that kills their kids should be executed and anyone that defends them out of some sick racial solidarity should be in line behind them.

Regents approve tuition hikes

DAHLONEGA, Ga. - Tuition is going up for Georgia students at all 31 state colleges and universities under a budget plan approved Tuesday by the state Board of Regents, including the largest ...