Across the area

4 arrested on drug, gun charges

AIKEN - Aiken County investigators arrested four people Tuesday night after a traffic stop yielded drugs, a gun and money, authorities said today.

Eric Lavell, 25, of Aiken, is charged with trafficking cocaine, possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, and assault and battery on a police officer, Lt. Troy Elwell of the Aiken County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

Johnny Lamont Frazier, 30, of Aiken, is charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia, Lt. Elwell said.

Shayla Holmes, 32, of Jackson, and Bennie Wright, 32, of Aiken, are both charged with trafficking marijuana, trafficking cocaine, unlawful carrying of a pistol, and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, according to the statement.

All four were being held Wednesday in the Aiken County Detention Center.

About 10 p.m. Aiken County sheriff's deputies stopped two vehicles at Morgan Street and Hampton Avenue in Aiken, according to the statement.

Lt. Elwell said that during the traffic stop officers discovered a firearm and about 17 pounds of marijuana, 7 ounces of cocaine and $77,000 in cash.

Man barricaded inside home bites deputy

A Richmond County sheriff's deputy was bitten by a man who barricaded himself inside his home and threatened to cut himself with steak knives.

Deputy Meghan Davis responded to the 2700 block of Woodcrest Drive on Tuesday evening to do a welfare check on Matthew Clay Wright, according to a sheriff's report. Mr. Wright had barricaded himself inside the home and threatened to harm himself, the report stated.

When the deputy opened the door, Mr. Wright bit her on the hand and was taken into custody, the report stated. He is charged with obstruction of an officer.

2 women report man peeping in window

Two Augusta women reported a man peeping through their windows Tuesday night.

The first occurred in the 1700 block of Kings Woods Drive, when a woman saw a man looking through her window while she was exercising at about 8 p.m., according to a sheriff's report. The second happened about two hours later in the 1700 block of Jenkins Street, where a woman said she saw a man looking through her bathroom window, the report stated.

Driver who almost hit deputy pleads guilty

A man accused of nearly running over a sheriff's deputy while fleeing a drunken driving arrest was sentenced to prison Wednesday.

Barton W. DeYoung, 43, pleaded guilty in Richmond County Superior Court to aggravated assault, reckless driving and driving under the influence. Chief Judge J. Carlisle Overstreet sentenced Mr. DeYoung to four years in prison followed by three years on probation.

Assistant District Attorney Brooks Hudson said Mr. DeYoung fled from a Washington Road traffic stop June 24 and nearly ran over a deputy who was on foot, the prosecutor said.

Mr. DeYoung has a history of DUI convictions, including a guilty plea to DUI and traffic offenses two months before June's incident.

20-year-old man is arrested in stabbing

A 20-year-old man was arrested Wednesday in the stabbing of an Augusta teen the night before.

Curtis Prince was charged with aggravated assault and affray, according to Richmond County jail records.

According to a sheriff's report, police responded to a stabbing in the 2000 block of Hephzibah-McBean Road. An 18-year-old was found on a couch with multiple stab wounds and was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

Fast food restaurant is robbed at gunpoint

An Augusta fast food restaurant was robbed at gunpoint Wednesday morning.

Two men entered Krystal on Deans Bridge Road about 10:30 a.m. with handguns and demanded money, a sheriff's report states. One of the men took money from a front register and a safe.

One of the men was described as black, 6 feet tall, 120 pounds and wearing blue jeans, white tennis shoes and a blue jacket with fur around the collar. The other suspect was described as black, 5 feet 7 inches tall, 120 pounds and wearing blue jeans, white tennis shoes and a black jacket with a hood.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/08/09 - 05:34 am
What's this world coming to?

What's this world coming to? Isn't robbing a Krystal like desecrating an oasis? Too many times, in my youth, Krystal was the only place of refuge. Is nothing sacred any more?

kiddspur
kiddspur 01/08/09 - 06:47 am
Hey patricia - times are hard

Hey patricia - times are hard and money is scare - no one can afford the expensive places anymore......Look out Hardees you maybe next!!!

Billy Idol
Billy Idol 01/08/09 - 07:10 am
Before anyone asks why the

Before anyone asks why the police didn't shoot the DUI guy for almost running over a police officer, I'll say it. I wouldn't have cared if they did, nor would I have rioted.

GuyIncognito
GuyIncognito 01/08/09 - 07:23 am
Its only a Krystals, I mean,

Its only a Krystals, I mean, thats the White Castle of the south. If they'd knocked off a Waffle House, I'd be worried, that would be like attacking a southern institution.

christian134
christian134 01/08/09 - 08:40 am
Obstruction of an

Obstruction of an officer...Hum more like attempted bodily harm to an officer...What? Maybe they will be given a slap on the wrist or better yet sue the Officer for putting her hand in the way of the man's mouth and injuring his teeth...

christian134
christian134 01/08/09 - 08:45 am
Judge you are making a habit

Judge you are making a habit of passing down lousy sentences lately are you not? That man should be made to do the time set down for the attempted murder of a Police Officer...These lame sentences have led to the increase of attempted murders and well as murders of Police Officers over the past few years...These crimes, which often gave a criminal pause over the consequences, now are rarely seen as more of a nuisance to them...Kill or attempt to kill a Police Officer, do the time(which is nothing with the right Judge) get out and do it all over again if an Officer so carelessly gets in their way...

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 01/08/09 - 09:00 am
Im suprised that Krystals is

Im suprised that Krystals is still open. It has been robbed so many times it's like the poor mans AFLAC.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 01/08/09 - 09:13 am
Once again "judge" Overstreet

Once again "judge" Overstreet fails to make a statement against violent crime with his lax sentence of a felon. I wonder what sentence he would give to a criminal who attempted to run HIM over on the street one day? A DUI case gets MORE prison time than a woman who MURDERS her two children???? [filtered word]?

getalife
getalife 01/08/09 - 09:21 am
The justice system is broke!!

The justice system is broke!!

Rose
Rose 01/08/09 - 09:48 am
humbleopinion same thing I

humbleopinion same thing I thought when I read it.A woman who murders her kids get no jail time, while the DUI gets time. Judge Overstree needs to retire. He appears to be losing his mind.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/08/09 - 10:14 am
Rose, Ms. Hawes will receive

Rose, Ms. Hawes will receive "jail time", she'll just be serving her time in a mental institution. I'm sure if and when they determine she is stable, more than likely she will be move to an regular institution with the general population.

KingJames
KingJames 01/08/09 - 11:05 am
If they hit Krystal, then

If they hit Krystal, then that fine southern institution known as the Waffle House is next because it's right next door. I visited that Krystal over the holidays. The door was locked in the afternoon with a sign that said to come to the other door next to the drive thru. There's no parking next to the drive thru so I had to walk around the front of the building to get in. As soon as I entered, I asked the cashier if they had been robbed recently because of the way you have to enter. She had no concept of customer service at all. She answered my question as if I was bothering her by saying, "Can I take ya order?!" There were no other customers so I don't think she was having a bad day. I told her that the reason I was asking was because the other door was locked. "I can't talk about that," was her reply, all the while, she was looking like I was bothering her. That's when I ordered and told her that I only get a chance to get Krystals when I come home to Augusta. I was still bothering her. No small talk. No polite interaction with the customer. No smile. Not even a, "thank you, come again."

Rose
Rose 01/08/09 - 11:36 am
InChristLove she can be

InChristLove she can be released back on the street anytime Judge Overstreet says she can.He could release her today if he wanted to. She gets no jail time.

suburbsofWestAugustaConi
suburbsofWestAugustaConi 01/08/09 - 11:53 am
Why does Across the area

Why does Across the area always everyday about crime. The only paper I know that loves crime. And splitting up the black/white community in the Augusta metro area. The metro spirit reports alot more positives that are going on in the community. I wonder why not the chronicle! Oh I know why

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/08/09 - 06:18 pm
The met spirit doesnt do

The met spirit doesnt do daily "news". I dont know about you, but I want to know about the crime in the area so I know where to avoid, live, work, send my kids etc.....to know what's going on in my community, and ATA is the section its reported in. Why would you not want to know period and be in the dark about whats going on in your community and could possible affect your family???? They have tons of positive articles, but crime is also part of the news.... Really why would you not want to know about the crime??? That isn't a race thing as you imply, its a not having your head in the sand thing and being informed.

natashaleigh
natashaleigh 01/08/09 - 10:35 pm
okay is it me but is

okay is it me but is something wrong with the court system?..... above it reads that a guy has to serve time in prison for "almost" hitting an officer! [filtered word]- a man was just killed because the officers "say" he was trying to hit them and then just yesterday the paper announces that the crazed lunatic that killed her two very adorable and innocent "toddlers" will be set free!!!!!!!!!! something in this just is not right. yeah he was a thug but he did not deserve to die. yeah she is going into the crazy house but she is still alive and her babies were taken away against their will before they ever got a chance to know what life was all about. this system just makes me sick to my stomach

SandyK2005
SandyK2005 01/09/09 - 02:33 am
"The justice system is

"The justice system is broke!!" --- The justice system can be fixed, but more to reduce the amount of laws (our Founders sure didn't live under these restrictions, or you can be very sure they'd put a stop to it). What's broke is society not even willing to obey them. Kid assaults an officer, and what happens? The community, instead of shaming the attacker, riots in protest. That's what's wrong.