First baby fulfills prediction

Katrice Broadwater wasn't scheduled to deliver her first child until sometime after mid-January, but her grandmother knew better.

Katrice Broadwater and Victor McIntosh welcomed their son, Kaleb Elizjah Broadwater, at 12:28 a.m. Thursday at Doctors Hospital.  Rob Pavey/Staff
Rob Pavey/Staff

"Grandma predicted it would be today," Ms. Broadwater said. "And it was."

At 12:28 a.m. Thursday, the Graniteville woman, 21, and her boyfriend -- Victor McIntosh, of Hephzibah -- became the parents of the first Augusta-area baby born in 2009. Kaleb Elizjah Broadwater, weighing 7 pounds, 4 ounces, was delivered at Doctors Hospital.

"I kind of knew, once we got here, that grandma was right," Ms. Broadwater said.

Although the couple knew they would have a boy, they had no idea Kaleb would be Augusta's first New Year's baby. "It's exciting," she said. "He looks just like me!"

Ms. Broadwater's grandmother, Charlotte Garrett, said she's been around enough babies in her family to predict delivery dates with some degree of accuracy.

"I'm sensitive about these things," Ms. Garrett said. "Normally I can count the days and I figured this one would be about two weeks early."

Ms. Broadwater, surrounded by family members in her hospital room Thursday, said she normally spends New Year's Eve home with family -- enjoying good food.

Reach Rob Pavey at (706) 868-1222, ext. 119 or rob.pavey@augustachronicle.com.

Rose
Rose 01/02/09 - 08:59 pm
SargentMidTown and what is

SargentMidTown and what is wrong with the people who shop at Kroger on 15th Street? Let me tell you about some of the customers there.For years I took my mom shopping there, because she lived near Kroger. All kinds of people shop there, including many senior citizens. My mom was certainly not trash. Who do you think you are? You certainly don't impress me.

Rose
Rose 01/02/09 - 09:09 pm
Every child is a blessing

Every child is a blessing from God. You people talking trash about this baby should be beaten with a bull whip. You are not even human to say those cruel things about this baby. Shame on you.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 01/02/09 - 09:15 pm
Gee, the first baby of the

Gee, the first baby of the year was born to the mother and HER BOYFRIEND, not her husband. Surprise, surprise, surprise. Giving the child the father's last name is no guarantee of anything. The first baby of the new year in the Savannah area was, are you ready, can you guess? Well in order to keep you from further suspense I'll just tell you - the first baby of the new year in the Savannah area was born to a mother and her boyfriend and has the last name of the boyfriend. Oh, by the way she has two OTHER children each with a different last name. Time was when there were SOME moral standards in this country and a baby born out of wedlock was not a cause for celebration. Newspaper editors would not even have given a thought to publishing the picture - now everything goes. The innocent child certainly has NO reason to feel shame or embarrassment as he grows but the parents apparently don't feel anything like that either. What a shame that we've come to the place where we murder babies in the womb and celebrate men and women who have no regard for the sanctity of marriage or any regard for negative reaction to the poor child. God help us to find some moral stability here.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 01/02/09 - 09:24 pm
Perhaps the point has been

Perhaps the point has been missed by many who have posted to this site, the point being that short of rape and/or incest, ADULTS should be responsible enough to make a conscious choice to ONLY bring a child into a world where there is a stable home with two loving parents who have made a marital commitment to each other and to any children that they produce. Of course the word SHOULD indicates a utopian world, not the one in which we live. Morality has gone out the window. To whomever mentioned the recent presidential election, it's a done deal; anyone who engaged his brain enough to study the situation KNOWS how the outcome happened - it's now time to move on and give prayers for the new president and our country. We've elected an amateur who will be doing OJT - but in reality that discussion has no place in this particular story.

bailmeout2
bailmeout2 01/02/09 - 09:39 pm
leave the kid alone.

leave the kid alone.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 01/02/09 - 11:19 pm
Hey, bless the kid, I wish

Hey, bless the kid, I wish him every happiness in his life. The parents however, I have no respect or use for. I knew a white couple who GOT married and the wife kept her maiden name. Guess why? When they had kids, she had them on medicaid, I have no use for her and her"husband" either! When society recoils from its shock over the assaults on decency, I wouldn't want to be a rat. There's likely to be a rat killin'. Of course, that'll be thirty or forty years from now, so I wont have to worry about taking part.

aaa
aaa 01/02/09 - 11:51 pm
PatriciaThomas: Oh my

PatriciaThomas: Oh my goodness, you are so right! I just spent the last half hour reading through the various newspaper websites in Georgia. You folks condemning her as a racist need to do this too. With rare exception, most of the AA mothers were single, brought to the hospital by a sister or a mother, the father's last name is different or just not listed. The one exception I found was the AA military family in Columbus. All the white or hispanic babies had married parents. This is not a condemnation of the AA community per se - it is definitely a condemnation of the socioeconomic policies of a liberal agenda. This is sad and we need to do something to reverse this problem. Patricia is that a fair representation of what you were trying to say?

Rebelbuyer
Rebelbuyer 01/03/09 - 12:00 am
Careful bone, Elizjah (sic)

Careful bone, Elizjah (sic) Broadwater-McIntosh (a fine Irish last name LOL)? The mother is kinda light skinned, she may have some Irish lineage. She and little Elizjah could be related to you. I'm just stunned sometimes by the comments people leave here but the anonymity of this technology allowes for cowards to have the "courage" to say what they could never say to your face. However, I do believe that as the family goes, so goes the country. Out of wedlock births, shacking up, extra-marital affairs, corporate greed, racism, and the list goes on and on... all tear at the social fabric of our nation. We need good ol WASP values to set us on the straight and narrow again.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 01/03/09 - 12:07 am
Charlotte Garrett, Kaleb’s

Charlotte Garrett, Kaleb’s great-great-grandmother: “I said to her, you’ll get a lot of stuff from the hospital, if you have it on the first."

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 01/03/09 - 02:11 am
The AA welfare population is

The AA welfare population is vulgar no matter where you find them. They are damaged goods.

palomino9
palomino9 01/03/09 - 04:10 am
a bastard child is a bastard

a bastard child is a bastard child, no matter what color, you people preach about morality, gay people have a difficult time adopting children, even the children that are unwanted, yet a thug , unmarried couple can have all the children they want., or don't want. what is wrong with america? It is a fact that most children raised in a homosexual home are better cared for, have a higher education level, and are more adjusted than the 'mistakes' of so called regular families, most of whom have parents that are not married, do not want their children, or do not care for them adequately. this is america........................

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/03/09 - 06:03 am
StandingTall, that is not

StandingTall, that is not only a fair representation of what I was trying to say, but exactly what I have said many times. The fact that I allude to the horrible scam pulled on the black community by the Dems, with their government subsidy enslavement, seems to rile those most enamored with the concept. Of course, the really hard core black racists just hate seeing my name. They'd rather be ridiculously incorrect then agree with me. (I know they've got to be tired of being in that position)

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/03/09 - 06:05 am
I see a couple of sillies

I see a couple of sillies removed my opening comment. I guess they'll remove the previous one, too.

momofthree
momofthree 01/03/09 - 09:00 am
First congrats to mom and

First congrats to mom and dad, love your baby and cherish every moment.-----------Now; Bristol Palin is most certainly being supported by the government, where does her mother's pay check come from? The people of Alaska. That said, Patriciathomas, get a life, and get over yourself. How can people be so horrible to others. Think about this (if it won't hurt your head to do so) many, many women keep their maiden name after marriage. Hmmm, did anyone think of that? Who says they are not married? Seems to me they have a great support system in place and it really shouldn't matter if they are married or not. How many single people adopt babies, how many single women have invitro? I did not see where it was mentioned that "we" paid for anything? And who said they don't live together? She is from Graniteville, he is from Hephzibah, I am from Boston, my husband is from LA, we live together in Augusta. Think before you type. Some of you type all you want but never hit post.

1941
1941 01/03/09 - 10:15 am
You people are sick! The

You people are sick! The story is about the first baby born in the new year.Not about race, or the fact that the mother was not married.All of a sudden the story has turned in to something dirty.Do you people really know where your taxes are going? It is not going to this young mother and her child.Most of you do not even know what life is all about, all you do is sit behind a computer all day and try to find something to B----h about. Leave this couple alone, with your nasty thoughts, because not one of you really know anything about them.At least she did not have an abortion.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 01/03/09 - 10:42 am
What in the hell did you mean

What in the hell did you mean about your 1:11 AM post?

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/03/09 - 10:52 am
momothree, Gov. Palin's

momothree, Gov. Palin's paycheck comes from the people of Alaska for being their Governor, you idiot.

Farful
Farful 01/03/09 - 10:56 am
Dr. Spinks, could this be

Dr. Spinks, could this be another 40-percenter or a future 50-percenter ?

jillpeterson
jillpeterson 01/03/09 - 11:22 am
there's always the same

there's always the same turkey parade on the chronic online. sargentmidtown (who i assume is butch palmer) has a comment on the, i think he meant to say, coarseness of the mother's voice. ???? that it was how oprah's was before she changed. ok, smt, what is the significance of her voice? i remember you saying something about how we can't trust betty beard because her voice is too refined. you called it sinister, i believe. so which is the voice we should worry about? coarse or not coarse? and how do we know the father is black? the name sounds white. the mother is an adult. what is the problem? the story took the angle of the grandmother's prediction. so she's in the photo. big whoop. racist dorks of augusta, long may you wave your proud doofus flag. with lady liberty patricia thomas leading the troops in something sparkly. (is pt butch palmer in drag?)

MasterPsych
MasterPsych 01/03/09 - 12:25 pm
For those of you who don't

For those of you who don't know the procedure at the hospitals, let me educate you.

When a child is born, the baby/babies always carry the last name of the mother. The father has to sign an affidavit stating that he is the father of the child/children. Once this is done the birth certificate(s) are signed by the father and when they receive them back the last name is changed.

This couple could be married and be in the system. There are a lot of married families in the welfare system, but there are also a lot of single parents who have never had any assistance caring for their child/children. So a lot of you need to stop judging their marital situation because we don't know them.

We just need to pray that this child or any chid is raised with a lot of love and good values. That would be a good WELFARE SYSTEM!

Matthew 7:2
For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

interesting1
interesting1 01/03/09 - 01:53 pm
Would it matter if they were

Would it matter if they were married and the state still were supporting them like we are doing now for so many other couples? Look around, it's happening all around you. Be thankful the daddy is there with the mama. Hopefully he stays, and everybody keeps smiling like they are now. Times are hard -- give them a break!

interesting1
interesting1 01/03/09 - 02:05 pm
by the way, welcome to the

by the way, welcome to the world, kaleb!

moments30
moments30 01/03/09 - 02:56 pm
WOW, this is the first time I

WOW, this is the first time I have actually read the blogs....and let me say that I am not impressed!! I just want everyone to keep the negative comments to themselves. I hope God continues to bless the birth of this healthy child and keep him sheltered from all the bigotry that are boldly posted. What ever happened to, "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all"

Rebelbuyer
Rebelbuyer 01/04/09 - 01:24 am
To the black community

To the black community reading most of this trash..please don't be dismayed by the crap coming from the white people posting here. As a white man..I'll let you in on a not so well kept secret.."White folks are screwed up too." Incest, extra-marital affairs, (most white women stay because they are in it for the money) drug and alcohol abuse. stealing (oh not the stuff from your house but from our employers). White folks try to pretend that we have the moral high ground when in reality most have the morals of an alley cat. Oh and the church goers are bar far amongst the worst of the lot. Obese red faced preachers pontificating to the rest of us but lacks the discipline to reign in his own appetite. Whites want to try and lump all blacks into one neat package yet ignore the white trash element amongst us. We pretend there are no drug addicts, drunks, whores or bastards in the family. Not in our Leave it to Beaver world. What some whites dont get is that Y'all don't give a damn about what we think...I for one don't blame you.

aj2003
aj2003 01/04/09 - 09:58 am
I hope the couple does not

I hope the couple does not have internet. If they do, I hope they click on the names below to see what they've posted in the past and see that some just like to stir up stuff. Incredible...The comments below could have waited and not been put on this article. Good grief.....Congratulations on the beautiful baby!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/05/09 - 08:15 am
these babymakers won't have

these babymakers won't have internet unless their entitlement package includes a computer with an internet hookup.

TUCO
TUCO 01/05/09 - 01:09 pm
patriciathomas. people

patriciathomas. people please look over this hater. her mother was a love slave for the black men. so she is having a hard time with that. ms patricia we are sorry for this, but let i go...
we understand how it must feel! the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES will fix it and he loves you too. so let it go know....

TUCO
TUCO 01/05/09 - 01:13 pm
beautiful family. god knows

beautiful family. god knows best oh! and grandma!!!
god bless and take care!!!

ttsk2008
ttsk2008 01/06/09 - 03:35 am
First off, she is a well

First off, she is a well educated young woman who has a degree and for anyone on here to judge her due to having a child out of wedlock..shows just how much racism is still in this country. Well I guess you are not happy about Barack Obama being in office either because the way you are critisizing and making your crude comments about and innocent child and her parents are ridiculous. If she were white would it have really been an issue.....I think not. My husband and I have beautiful children together and we are appalled at seeing these comments. i'm pretty sure those of you making these comments were not all married when you all had children or even your first child..you probably got married while you were pregnant..but i truly believe that if that were your child or grandchild in that paper you would be overcome with joy. this is our future and all you can do is pray that this young couple brings there child up in the right manner/way (which i'm pretty sure they will by the way)

UGA jumps up in 2 polls

The University of Georgia made the second-biggest jump of all the teams in the two national ranking polls, both of which were released Tuesday.