First baby fulfills prediction

Katrice Broadwater wasn't scheduled to deliver her first child until sometime after mid-January, but her grandmother knew better.

Katrice Broadwater and Victor McIntosh welcomed their son, Kaleb Elizjah Broadwater, at 12:28 a.m. Thursday at Doctors Hospital.  Rob Pavey/Staff
Rob Pavey/Staff

"Grandma predicted it would be today," Ms. Broadwater said. "And it was."

At 12:28 a.m. Thursday, the Graniteville woman, 21, and her boyfriend -- Victor McIntosh, of Hephzibah -- became the parents of the first Augusta-area baby born in 2009. Kaleb Elizjah Broadwater, weighing 7 pounds, 4 ounces, was delivered at Doctors Hospital.

"I kind of knew, once we got here, that grandma was right," Ms. Broadwater said.

Although the couple knew they would have a boy, they had no idea Kaleb would be Augusta's first New Year's baby. "It's exciting," she said. "He looks just like me!"

Ms. Broadwater's grandmother, Charlotte Garrett, said she's been around enough babies in her family to predict delivery dates with some degree of accuracy.

"I'm sensitive about these things," Ms. Garrett said. "Normally I can count the days and I figured this one would be about two weeks early."

Ms. Broadwater, surrounded by family members in her hospital room Thursday, said she normally spends New Year's Eve home with family -- enjoying good food.

Reach Rob Pavey at (706) 868-1222, ext. 119 or rob.pavey@augustachronicle.com.

shamrock
shamrock 01/02/09 - 01:34 pm
This a story about the first

This a story about the first local area child in 2009 ... a young, innocent child who is, as all children, beautiful regardless of color! This was not an invitation for everyone to show their ignorance. Do like I did ... report PTs remarks as inappropriate and hope the AC Webmaster agrees.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 01/02/09 - 01:36 pm
At work, a young girl was

At work, a young girl was pregnant and had the baby. When I talked with the young girls mother, she told me "oh yes, WE'RE going to keep it." The daughter went on to have another child and yes THEY kept that one also.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 01/02/09 - 01:38 pm
After all that arguing.....

After all that arguing..... God Bless this child. May he know the Lord and have a wonderful life...in spite of all of us and our negative attitudes!

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 01/02/09 - 01:47 pm
Converted how do you know who

Converted how do you know who will be supporting Palin's daughter child? Are you a Soothsayer? How do you know who will be supporting this lady's child?

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 01/02/09 - 01:51 pm
hypo... The palin baby has

hypo... The palin baby has the fathers name and courts have more authority to go after child support, in those cases (without having to take court action). The family will take care of their own. Sara is a public servant and that bodes well for the child. Looks like you are searching.

ITDoc
ITDoc 01/02/09 - 01:52 pm
Add my prayers for God to

Add my prayers for God to bless this FAMILY. May Elizjah be taught by his mother and father empowering philosophies like self reliance, personal accountibility, pride in self, and may he learn to read at an early age.

sanders23
sanders23 01/02/09 - 01:59 pm
shoot..I just want Grandma to

shoot..I just want Grandma to give me next weeks lotto numbers. Congrats to the new parents. Good luck!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/02/09 - 02:04 pm
Don't be honest, don't

Don't be honest, don't comment on the situation as it stands, don't tell the truth. If you do, you're a racist. What great reasoning. Dems are so confusing. Why the black racists posting today are so proud of slavery is also confusing.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 01/02/09 - 02:20 pm
Just because the baby has the

Just because the baby has the Father's name does not mean he/she will be supported by him. If that was a fact then over half of the child support case will be cleared. I am not searching for anything. What started off as a positive story has been hijacked by the " Usual Suspects". You can say all you want, there is no doubt in my mind that had this not been about this particular couple, there would not have been half of the negative comments made. It is a shame that some of you hearts are so cold and wicked that you would take the opportunity to distract from it. But it was to be expected from a particular group of Naysayers. Unfortunately I was not disappointed and you all came through.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 01/02/09 - 02:22 pm
A simple congrats to them

A simple congrats to them without the other racist innuendo jargon you used would have been better. Again, sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut and hold your peace, do you have to comment on every article, every time, everyday? I fault the Chronicle for not having the decency to close remarks on these type of subjects when they turns RACIAL. Patricia surely you knew you were race baiting. I'm yet praying for you and others online here. It's a sad countenance when you end and begin the year with racist innuendos. I take it you are in your late forties or older. Jesus just Jesus.

bone
bone 01/02/09 - 02:28 pm
i find it to be a sad

i find it to be a sad commentary on society when an out-of-wedlock birth is celebrated as the firstborn of the new year. remember the old days when a family would be EMBARRASSED if a daughter/son had a child without first being married, even to the point of "shotgun weddings?" sex without precautions to prevent pregnancy = risk of bringing another human into the world that lacks support mechanisms which could assist it with having a happy, successful life. a sad, sad time indeed, jackfruit.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/02/09 - 02:34 pm
Hypo, the question asks

Hypo, the question asks itself. What was the first thing you thought of after the "congrats" thought? After reading your posts, I wonder why you are so defensive of the Democrat scam that has decimated the social standing of your race?

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 01/02/09 - 02:37 pm
LOL @ your race...

LOL @ your race...

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/02/09 - 03:07 pm
I agree that this birth

I agree that this birth should be a joyous occassion and I wish this child many blessings but I am so offended by cparker's remarks. Several times you have made negative comments regarding "white folks", or "white hypocritical conservatives". I am white conservative Christian who will agree that any couple that conceives a child out of wedlock no matter what race is a troubling issue. The negative comments on here should never have been posted but I find it "two-faced" for cparker to condemn these postings while at the same time lumping all white folk together as hypocritical racists. Are you not displaying the same type of behavior you speak against?

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 01/02/09 - 03:20 pm
DD, I agree with the way this

DD, I agree with the way this mommy/donor/baby situation looks, but there aren't any "name your baby" police hanging around the maternity wards. My wife and I chose not to name either of our kids until after we met them. (Just couldn't stick a name on someone we didn't yet know.) We slept on it and agreed on names the next day. No pressure applied.

allie123
allie123 01/02/09 - 03:33 pm
I truly hope that this young

I truly hope that this young couple doesn't get a chance to read most of these comments. To the folks that have left negative comments: shame on you. You have no idea what their situation is. And if you have a problem with the fact they aren't married because of your religious beliefs, remember this: the Bible says that it is NOT your place to judge.

lucki_ducki02
lucki_ducki02 01/02/09 - 04:04 pm
Look people the birth of a

Look people the birth of a child shouldnt be scared by racist comments! for all of you that has had negative comments-how dare you! this child is an innocent. shame on you patricia! may God bless this child and her family! congrats!

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 01/02/09 - 04:08 pm
Pat, if you was so right, why

Pat, if you was so right, why was your comment deleted? Because people like you have highjacked this site and spew your racist ignorance at every turn. Have you no shame.

j2says
j2says 01/02/09 - 04:13 pm
Clearly she has no shame

Clearly she has no shame because shame would have caused her not to post that mess in the first place.

slmp
slmp 01/02/09 - 04:25 pm
Why can't people just be

Why can't people just be happy for this mother?

sanders23
sanders23 01/02/09 - 04:46 pm
slmp..to answer you

slmp..to answer you question..you are in Augusta. I have been here 5 years now. Never in all the places I have lived, have I seen so much hatred. This place truly needs to change it's name to Disgusta. Bible belt my [filtered word]. "southern hospitality"...what a joke. If you are the same race, well then maybe.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 01/02/09 - 04:49 pm
cparker ....Did you hear this

cparker ....Did you hear this woman speak on the TV interview? Speak so that I may see you. She has that chorseness to her voice. The same kind of chorseness that Opra had before she worked really hard to loose it.

WILKES
WILKES 01/02/09 - 04:50 pm
Please do not judge!! My

Please do not judge!! My child just turned 16. She was the new year baby in another city. My husband and I were older. We were married for 14 years before she was born. (and we were in our late 20's when we married).

Since the day she was born, many have assumed that were are her grandparents.

When I go to school, her class mates will stay your grandmother is here. The number of people who have assumed wrong cannot be numbered.

I am judged, because I had a child late in life. It is not anyone business.

Stop It. Let this couple enjoy their new family. It is not your business or your right to hurt someone that you do not even know.

chey
chey 01/02/09 - 05:28 pm
I challenge each of you (if

I challenge each of you (if you are a first born), to do the math, the date of your parents wedding, to your own birthday. And you will find, many of you were probably concieved before marriage.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/02/09 - 05:58 pm
pgapeach2... looks like you

pgapeach2... looks like you are the one who can't READ.... the child does NOT have the father's name!!!

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 01/02/09 - 06:02 pm
The Chronicle needs to start

The Chronicle needs to start closing the comments on stories like these. It's good when they delete some post or remove them due to violations BUT they should start closing post so NO MORE can be posted on a particular subject/article. This I think would benefit them and cut down the bulk of racial discourse online on this site. As we all know this divide is ONLINE ONLY. I don't encounter racism when I'm out and about interacting in the city everyday. This portion of Augusta in particular the Augusta Chronicle online is where you find racial discord from both races. It's a good thing this is free or I would not even be reading it online, I stop buying it years ago.

mgroothand
mgroothand 01/02/09 - 06:06 pm
There are several forms of

There are several forms of discrimination but all that is ever talked about in these columns is race discrimination. Try age discrimination, a form that affects all races and genders but can easily be hidden by employers especially those with an HR dept. It is just as illegal also. And then there is the "overqualified" form of discrimination and although not illegal, hurts just as much. Overqualified people don't need to eat or have shelter. Age and overqualified are valuable resources that squandered every day in the job market.

cparker
cparker 01/02/09 - 07:25 pm
InChristLove.... Everyone

InChristLove.... Everyone that visits this site regularly knows just what I am saying and they know if the shoes fits them. I apologize to you if you are truly offended. The problem is that a large racist congregation of whites make foolish presumptive attacks against blacks, and they particularly did it during the elections. I have no choice in this but to use the shotgun approach because I don't know you and you don't me. So if it helps.... "White Conservatives hypocrits, with the exception of InChristLove, have a poor perception of blacks even when blacks are doing quite well for themselves". Is that better?

cparker
cparker 01/02/09 - 07:31 pm
SargeantMidTown... What does

SargeantMidTown... What does a tired mother suppose to sound like after giving birth? I have no confidence in nothing you spew... If this young woman sounds college educated, you and patriciathomas would be the two fools to get on this site and undermine her because of race.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 01/02/09 - 08:43 pm
RockNout I did the math. I am

RockNout I did the math. I am the first born. My parents were married nine years before I was born. They planned well and they had a comfortable life and made sure that I had one to. I inherited some wealth just as all children should. Good parents do more than wish that their children have a better life than them. They work to make life better for their children.