First baby fulfills prediction

Katrice Broadwater wasn't scheduled to deliver her first child until sometime after mid-January, but her grandmother knew better.

Katrice Broadwater and Victor McIntosh welcomed their son, Kaleb Elizjah Broadwater, at 12:28 a.m. Thursday at Doctors Hospital.  Rob Pavey/Staff
Rob Pavey/Staff

"Grandma predicted it would be today," Ms. Broadwater said. "And it was."

At 12:28 a.m. Thursday, the Graniteville woman, 21, and her boyfriend -- Victor McIntosh, of Hephzibah -- became the parents of the first Augusta-area baby born in 2009. Kaleb Elizjah Broadwater, weighing 7 pounds, 4 ounces, was delivered at Doctors Hospital.

"I kind of knew, once we got here, that grandma was right," Ms. Broadwater said.

Although the couple knew they would have a boy, they had no idea Kaleb would be Augusta's first New Year's baby. "It's exciting," she said. "He looks just like me!"

Ms. Broadwater's grandmother, Charlotte Garrett, said she's been around enough babies in her family to predict delivery dates with some degree of accuracy.

"I'm sensitive about these things," Ms. Garrett said. "Normally I can count the days and I figured this one would be about two weeks early."

Ms. Broadwater, surrounded by family members in her hospital room Thursday, said she normally spends New Year's Eve home with family -- enjoying good food.

Reach Rob Pavey at (706) 868-1222, ext. 119 or rob.pavey@augustachronicle.com.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 01/02/09 - 12:06 pm
ripjones .... Thank you for

ripjones .... Thank you for your feed back. I love humour. Sometimes I think that I come up with some witty lines but it makes me feel good to know that someone else is amused. I am 49.

cparker
cparker 01/02/09 - 12:14 pm
bone... Call me what you

bone... Call me what you want, but I am a realist. I truly believe that "Immorality has no race, gender, or address". There is nothing you or anyone else can put on this site about blacks that I would not be able to research and prove whites are just as guilty of. The problem is that many of you have poor opinions of minorities even when they do great things. Obama was born to an unwed mother, but he is are next President. The child in this story could be a prodigy that saves the world. I just have problem with racial insensitivity and hiding your hands.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 01/02/09 - 12:16 pm
levi1867 ...Go shop at the

levi1867 ...Go shop at the Kroger on 15th street. Go often and mingle with the customers. Then you will appreciate our humour. Lighten upl :)

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 01/02/09 - 12:18 pm
Such a shame, same bigots had

Such a shame, same bigots had to make it racial. I long ago told everyone, Pat Thomas, whatever it is, is a racist. Bonehead and Converted Southerner and folks like them, are what's wrong with our community. It's only racist when blacks respond.They found it offensive when people talked about Bristol Palin, now they are here talking about someone else. You folks will never learn.

bone
bone 01/02/09 - 12:21 pm
are we comparing apples to

are we comparing apples to apples, cparker? why is there such a concern among minority defenders to point out similarities in failure / success? ONE child born to an unwed mother has become president; by your own formula, does this mean the other 1,000,000,000 are failures? am i also supposed to point out the fact that obama's mother is white? get a grip on your sensitivity and lighten up: not every post has a white power message hidden in it. i'll take your side bet, though, and conclude that this child will be more successful (prodigy, if you must) if the daddy is involved heavily in his life.

bone
bone 01/02/09 - 12:22 pm
rcr, good to see you pipe in

rcr, good to see you pipe in with your usual flair. i would counter that blacks most frequently respond when given an opportunity to cry racism.

cparker
cparker 01/02/09 - 12:24 pm
bone... Listen to yourself.

bone... Listen to yourself. Is being black a precursor to not being successful? If I used your logic it would be? So make up your mind to either be fair or be stupid!!

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 01/02/09 - 12:28 pm
I don't know about anyone

I don't know about anyone else but I haven't heard anyone defending the Palin pregnancy. It happened and happens to many. The Palin child has the fathers name and won't be supported by the taxpayers. The discussion now isn't about a black or white unmarried woman or man that had a son. It is about an unmarried woman and man that had the first son of the yr. This son has been given the last name of the mother. An unmarried woman/girl having children is a drain on society - financially, health care, education, resourses, etc. The article isn't about race but is being made racist by some people.

bone
bone 01/02/09 - 12:29 pm
no, cparker, if you used my

no, cparker, if you used my logic you'd simply accept that most children are more successful if raised by both parents. that was my initial contention with this article and i regret inferring that being black is a deterrent to success. all the best to young Elijzah and his parent(s).

sanders23
sanders23 01/02/09 - 12:30 pm
This comment was removed for

This comment was removed for violation of the comments policy.

jg41160
jg41160 01/02/09 - 12:33 pm
Murphy Brown?

Murphy Brown?

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 01/02/09 - 12:36 pm
Bone, are you saying Pat and

Bone, are you saying Pat and your comments about the names, isn't racial? If all you had to say was racist, why bother? Bone, having white power, doesn't involve making blatant racist commentary. Real white power, is the ability to judge someone by their character,not their race. It's the ability to have quiet confidence, and not be threatened by someone of another race's success. You lack white power.

cparker
cparker 01/02/09 - 12:38 pm
bone... My complaint to

bone... My complaint to blacks is the need to reduce the number of children born to unwed parents. This is something that can be addressed without the humiliation.

jg41160
jg41160 01/02/09 - 12:40 pm
LOL.. you guys are a hoot. I

LOL.. you guys are a hoot. I can always tell where the racial debate, rants, smears,derogatory comments and such are going on by checking most discussed. As i've said before, AC should do a story each day titled "I'm a racist, you're a racist".That way the comments will match the story. Congrats to the family and God bless the newborn.

Double D
Double D 01/02/09 - 12:46 pm
The only thing I noticed is

The only thing I noticed is there is no mention of Katrice's mother, just grandmother. Baby took mom's name not father's. That tells me the relationship probably wasn't that serious and the mom probably lives and was raised by her grandmother. I too would like to see a follow-up next year on the first baby of the new year.

Double D
Double D 01/02/09 - 12:47 pm
Also, I would make the same

Also, I would make the same assessment regardless of race.

cparker
cparker 01/02/09 - 12:48 pm
convertedsoutherner... That's

convertedsoutherner... That's not truthful. Palin's daughter has been well defended against the criticism portrayed today. Conservatives made it a point to make sure we all knew the had wedding plans to stop the criticism. Basically, Bristol Palin is in a little worst situation than the black couple today because she & Mr. Levi and highschool are students. Regardless, I feel it was wrong for everyone to get started bashing the young couple with unfortunate racial stereotypes. This is may be the happiest time in thier lives, and all of us have messed it up for them.

bone
bone 01/02/09 - 12:49 pm
yes, i'm saying my initial

yes, i'm saying my initial comment (Elijzah sic Broadwater-McIntosh a fine Irish name) wasn't racist. my RESPONSE to another poster, however, was a humorous jest in RESPONSE to derogatory questions about names such as Tripp, Trigg, Bristol, etc. i'll take my lack of white power over your whatever power anyday, rcr. i prefer people make their way in the world without benefit of any racial power.

cparker
cparker 01/02/09 - 12:52 pm
DoubleD... That tells you the

DoubleD... That tells you the hospital records info. All children of unwed parents carry the mothers name until the birth certificate has been applied for. Considering this is just minutes after the birth, you are making a poor assumption.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 01/02/09 - 12:52 pm
Sometimes it's best to hold

Sometimes it's best to hold your peace and keep your mouth shut or don't make any keyboard strokes to some conversations. *Looks over at PatriciaThomas* and whispers "Jesus deliver her mind"

Double D
Double D 01/02/09 - 12:59 pm
Um, I remember applying for

Um, I remember applying for the birth certificate withing the hour of the baby's birth, both times. They ask you what name you want the child to have. I would bet on it that the intended name of the child is the mother's last name. Minutes after birth? The story wasn't published until today, and I'm sure the reporter asked what the baby's name is going to be.

stjm1979
stjm1979 01/02/09 - 01:00 pm
I truly think that this is

I truly think that this is sad how folks will use a nice occasion...such as a babies birth (not who the parents are or how he was conceived) to post their opinions and judgement. God bless you baby, dont end up like these ignorant people!

Double D
Double D 01/02/09 - 01:01 pm
So you say, God Bless, while

So you say, God Bless, while calling people ignorant in the same sentence...Disgusta residents at their finest.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 01/02/09 - 01:05 pm
You have to stand for

You have to stand for something or you fall for everything.

Double D
Double D 01/02/09 - 01:06 pm
I wonder what the ratio in

I wonder what the ratio in Richmond county is of Children who know their father vs. Children who have no clue vs. mothers who don't know who their child's father is.

backpac-bill
backpac-bill 01/02/09 - 01:07 pm
"PATRICIATHOMAS" is nothing

"PATRICIATHOMAS" is nothing more than a sissy,never has anything good to say.May the gates of "HELL" open wide for you.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 01/02/09 - 01:09 pm
It's going to be interesting

It's going to be interesting for some of these fatherless children. When some of these children grow up, they could be dating/having babies with their brothers/sisters.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 01/02/09 - 01:11 pm
This is all so cynical to me.

This is all so cynical to me. I'm taking care of a 6 month old whose father walled brutally murdered (doesn't matter why, when, where or how) and the mother is in and out. He didn't ask for it but he's here. He's so loved and nurtured and God let this baby be born. To me that's it in a nutshell. I raised my two children alone for the most part because I chose not to live any longer w/ an abusive and irresponsible man....that I was married to. I worked hard and paid a sitter and wasn't eligible for govt programs because I made about 10 dollars a month too much to get help. Had I been eligible, I'd have gotten it because I've certainly paid enough taxes over the years. There are many who abuse the system, but in the end....the children don't ask to be brought into this world.....God gives them to ask. We question many times why....but the fact of the matter is....It ain't up to us. God is in control...NOT YOU AND NOT ME!!!

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 01/02/09 - 01:12 pm
Please, let me apologize for

Please, let me apologize for any mispellings or poor grammar, was a tad aggravated when I wrote it and did NOT take the time to ck it. I think my point came across.

ITDoc
ITDoc 01/02/09 - 01:22 pm
We are years beyond being

We are years beyond being able to control our reproductive systems. Sex is free entertainment. Resulting pregnancies perpetuate the cycle. I don't think a single "welfare mom" makes more children for an increase in benefits. Break the chain, introduce your daughter to birth control and make sure she uses it. If she abstains, so much the better. Whether you believe your teen is sexually active or not doesn't matter, they are.