First baby fulfills prediction

Katrice Broadwater wasn't scheduled to deliver her first child until sometime after mid-January, but her grandmother knew better.

Katrice Broadwater and Victor McIntosh welcomed their son, Kaleb Elizjah Broadwater, at 12:28 a.m. Thursday at Doctors Hospital.  Rob Pavey/Staff
Rob Pavey/Staff

"Grandma predicted it would be today," Ms. Broadwater said. "And it was."

At 12:28 a.m. Thursday, the Graniteville woman, 21, and her boyfriend -- Victor McIntosh, of Hephzibah -- became the parents of the first Augusta-area baby born in 2009. Kaleb Elizjah Broadwater, weighing 7 pounds, 4 ounces, was delivered at Doctors Hospital.

"I kind of knew, once we got here, that grandma was right," Ms. Broadwater said.

Although the couple knew they would have a boy, they had no idea Kaleb would be Augusta's first New Year's baby. "It's exciting," she said. "He looks just like me!"

Ms. Broadwater's grandmother, Charlotte Garrett, said she's been around enough babies in her family to predict delivery dates with some degree of accuracy.

"I'm sensitive about these things," Ms. Garrett said. "Normally I can count the days and I figured this one would be about two weeks early."

Ms. Broadwater, surrounded by family members in her hospital room Thursday, said she normally spends New Year's Eve home with family -- enjoying good food.

Reach Rob Pavey at (706) 868-1222, ext. 119 or rob.pavey@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/02/09 - 06:51 am
What's the first thoughts

What's the first thoughts that come to mind when this story is read? Congrats on making a baby? or who will be paying for this baby for the rest of it's life? An unmarried black couple living in different towns brings to mind the plight of the black American and their "gift" of being able to produce numerous babies. Would this "joyous moment" be occurring in this manner if not for the entitlement programs of slavery?

pgapeach2
pgapeach2 01/02/09 - 07:03 am
Patriciathomas, I don't

Patriciathomas, I don't usually respond when one the readers makes unnecessary comments. I feel that I have to concerning yours. You sound like a prejudice individual. If you can READ the system will not be paying for the baby considering the fact that the father has given the child his last name. My question to you, "Would you be making these comments had the couple been white"? What does the fact that they are an unmarried black couple from different towns have to do with the equation? I would say to you think before you decide to speak!!!

pgapeach2
pgapeach2 01/02/09 - 07:05 am
A retraction to my comment

A retraction to my comment about the the father giving the child his last name. But I would still like to know what that has to do with anything?

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 01/02/09 - 07:32 am
patriciathomas is a racist,

patriciathomas is a racist, ignorant, narrowminded bigot. I'm sure nobody is surprised at her idiotic racist rant. She's probably some old grouchy never married and no children having drunk, which could explain her negativity and misery. I wish someone would enslave her so she would feel the sting of these ignorant rants she goes on. But they probably wouldn't want her either, she's always on here posting so she's probably fat and lazy with no job. I wouldn't be surprised if she abused the same government she rants about and gets foodstamps. IDIOT!!!!!!

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 01/02/09 - 07:34 am
Congratulations on the first

Congratulations on the first baby of the new year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

livingmylifenotyours
livingmylifenotyours 01/02/09 - 08:17 am
patriciathomas is a racist

patriciathomas is a racist but he is hiding behind his wife name this is an elderly white male not a woman making these comments.patriciathomas let this young couple along and let them rejoice in their moment!

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 01/02/09 - 08:26 am
That's a sweet baby boy! May

That's a sweet baby boy! May God Bless him,may he have a good life and know the Lord!

skyes_mommy
skyes_mommy 01/02/09 - 08:28 am
This is hilarious. I see

This is hilarious. I see nothing has changed here at the AC. Congrats on the new baby!

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 01/02/09 - 08:30 am
Patricia Thomas, you are

Patricia Thomas, you are complete idiot. I wonder if you would have the same reaction if this child was Blond and with blue eyes? Some how I doubt it would be.

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 01/02/09 - 08:59 am
He is a beautiful baby

He is a beautiful baby indeed. I wish the grandmother luck in raising him.

ripjones
ripjones 01/02/09 - 09:11 am
pgapeach2 - With your

pgapeach2 - With your retraction, you really shot yourself in the foot. You are guilty of the same offense you charged PT with. I did think her/his words were a little harsh, but also accurate. And yes, I would have said the same thing, had the couple been been white. There are far too many unmarried baby-mommies. While I hope the best for the child, unless the mom or dad changes his/her address, I see a tough future.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 01/02/09 - 09:12 am
We predicted that the first

We predicted that the first born would be a "love child". You think the babes mother isn't married so so can get welfare ? Then "babies daddy" can move in with mama and baby and be a free lance pharmaceutical representative.

freespeech
freespeech 01/02/09 - 09:13 am
The child has the last name

The child has the last name of the mother not the father. Patricia Thomas is right. If being darn tired of paying to raise illegitimate children makes us racist - so be it. The reaction would be the same no matter the color of the hair and eyes.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 01/02/09 - 09:18 am
Although looking at all of

Although looking at all of the jewellery on "babies daddy" he might be a Sarah Coventry representative.

SCGAL53
SCGAL53 01/02/09 - 09:25 am
The AC should follow this

The AC should follow this couple for a while. Betting my money that it will be a welfare baby with no support from daddy.

j2says
j2says 01/02/09 - 09:39 am
No it's not being tired of

No it's not being tired of paying for illegitimate kids that make PT's statements racist its this "An unmarried black couple living in different towns brings to mind the plight of the black American and their "gift" of being able to produce numerous babies. " When did producing babies become a "gift" of black America? Clearly, since there are more white people in america whites share this "gift" as well. Not all of these white people are well-educated and able to pay for for the kids that they bring into the world. Then these so called entitlement plans for blacks is a bunch of bull. Poor whites (and poor people of any race) are just as entitled and take just as much advantage. It's poor planning and irresponsibility that is the problem not the race of the people (and it's not just unmarried couples either). The same people bemoaning the unmarried status of the parents and her possibly receiving government assistance (which no one knows for certain) are the same people who want her hanged for an abortion and don't want to teach kids sex education.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/02/09 - 09:40 am
It is a beautiful baby and I

It is a beautiful baby and I wish the child well, but facts are facts. They are a very young unmarried couple. The baby was given the mother's last name. They should not be given honors for such behavior.

j2says
j2says 01/02/09 - 09:46 am
The honor was date of the

The honor was date of the child's birth not their unmarried status. No one's saying hold a parade for their being unmarried but the fact still remains their baby is the first child of 2009. The thought the paper should just ignore his birth cause the child comes from a single parent home is ridiculous to me. The child did nothing wrong and his birth should be celebrated like the rest of the New Year's babies like in the past.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/02/09 - 09:50 am
So much confusion over my

So much confusion over my post. The couple is unmarried. They are black. The entitlement community is inundated with fatherless babies. Why is listing fact so insulting? Why not change the situation instead of supporting, enabling and promoting it? Why is there no social stigma? Could it have to do with the entitlements? Slavery takes many forms, but choosing slavery seems strange to me.

marien
marien 01/02/09 - 09:51 am
Congradulations to the first

Congradulations to the first born on New Years Day may your life be full with Gods Blessings.

bone
bone 01/02/09 - 09:52 am
did anyone pick the side bet

did anyone pick the side bet correctly on the prediction that the mother would actually know who the baby's daddy is? and would know the whereabouts of the baby's daddy? if so, claim your prize LOL.

ripjones
ripjones 01/02/09 - 09:56 am
Sarge - That was a GREAT one

Sarge - That was a GREAT one !! I bet half the people don't even know who Sarah Coventry is, but I do. We must be about the same age -- I'm 53. I'm laughing all the way to my meeting. Thanks...!!

j2says
j2says 01/02/09 - 09:58 am
PT, it's not confusion over

PT, it's not confusion over your post it's contempt. You don't know anything about these people your just making assumptions and listing your opinions. And what entitlements does being poor in America (or being poor in any Country) really give you? NO social stigma? When I don't have to here about Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's illegitiamate kids then I would feel this story is out of place just because they can afford them doesn't make their situation any less immoral.

alrboettcher
alrboettcher 01/02/09 - 10:05 am
PT is a fruitcake, ignore her

PT is a fruitcake, ignore her and her ignorrant comments. Congrats on the new baby ! I wish them well !

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 01/02/09 - 10:10 am
The same people bemoaning the

The same people bemoaning the unmarried status of the parents and her possibly receiving government assistance (which no one knows for certain) are the same people who want her hanged for an abortion and don't want to teach kids sex education. j2says @ 8:38 a.m. Epic win, j2says. That post tells the truth about all of the ultra right wing kooks in this country

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 01/02/09 - 10:12 am
I don't think this is the

I don't think this is the place for the social discussion. This child isn't at fault for the mistakes of his parents, his racial heritage or his country's errors. He is just a new born baby boy. Celebrate his birth and hope he rises above whatever his birth circumstances may be.

witness
witness 01/02/09 - 10:15 am
Don't judge the book by its

Don't judge the book by its cover. All the negative things being said should be kept to yourself. None of us knows this young man's financial situation or this young lady. They are not the first couple to have a baby out of wedlock and they will not be the last be black or white. For all any of you know, both of them could have full-time employment and the baby will never have to go on the system, but apparently when you see the couple is black, everyone automatically assumes the parents are unemployed. Get a life especially Patricia Thomas!

j2says
j2says 01/02/09 - 10:17 am

Thank you, Devilishlymad that's the whole point this is not the place for the social discussion. The story is just to celebrate not to commentate.

alrboettcher
alrboettcher 01/02/09 - 10:17 am
Right on Witness !!!

Right on Witness !!!

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 01/02/09 - 10:19 am
No these are the same people

No these are the same people that were praising Palin's daughter for her baby now all of a sudden its this entitlement group B.S. Where in this article did it say that the Mother was seeking some type of assistance. None of you know what the Mother or Father does for a living. All you have done is made an old cliche true and made an azz out of yourselves.