5-year-old hostage leaves hospital

A 5-year-old boy held hostage during a Christmas standoff and his mother, who was stabbed with a butcher knife during the incident, have been released from a hospital.

Georgette Reid, the woman charged in the crime and shot by police during a rescue attempt, remained at Medical College of Georgia Hospital on Monday.

Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength said the veteran SWAT member who shot Ms. Reid had no choice because she was slicing the boy's throat as officers were bursting through a barricaded door.

"We're just happy as hell knowing the boy is alive because we thought he wouldn't be," Lt. Scott Peebles said.

According to Sheriff Strength, Ms. Reid stabbed Latoya Lewis in the head and arm with a butcher knife Thursday when Ms. Lewis tried to break off their romantic relationship. Ms. Lewis called police and escaped from the Sunny Day Drive home with Ms. Reid's 14-year-old daughter.

Ms. Lewis, a military intelligence officer stationed at Fort Gordon, told deputies that she was unable to get her son out of the house and feared that his life was in danger, the sheriff said. Ms. Reid barricaded herself in a back room and wouldn't let deputies inside.

"That thing soured from the get-go," Sheriff Strength said.

Deputies tried to negotiate with Ms. Reid, but it became clear that she was going to harm the child, he said. As SWAT team officers detonated two diversionary grenades behind the house, others barged in from the front.

Ms. Reid was using the boy as a shield, but Deputy Scott White was able to shoot her once in the upper chest and rescue the child, Sheriff Strength said.

SWAT members train regularly and firing their weapons becomes almost automatic when necessary, Lt. Peebles said, but they prefer to talk someone into giving up.

He said there's a misconception fostered by Hollywood that SWAT teams can't wait to shoot somebody, but that isn't true.

"All the tactics we employ are designed to save lives, and that includes the life of the hostage-taker," Lt. Peebles said. "That's what we train to do."

Lt. Peebles said he couldn't put into words the pressure SWAT was under Thursday and the agony of knowing that a child's life could depend on their actions.

Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or greg.gelpi@augustachronicle.com.

PREVIOUS STORIES

- Hostage standoff ends in shooting

- Breakup is suspected catalyst

Comments (70)

anotherday
anotherday 12/30/08 - 11:22 am

She thought UCMJ was just a

She thought UCMJ was just a suggestion not fact.

minime
minime 12/30/08 - 11:23 am

seems like pulling the

seems like pulling the trigger sooner might serve better in some cases.... what a joke Augusta has become.

jusanote
jusanote 12/30/08 - 11:23 am

HillGuy, you may rest assured

HillGuy, you may rest assured that she will be discharged from th miltary. Not only because she is a lesbian, but because her conduct is unbecoming. She will receive a jail sentence as well for assault and attempted murder. The only question is whether she will receive punishment from the military or a civil court. In reference to the sexual preference, domestic violence where children are endangered is just as common in hetrosexual homes as it is in alternate lifestyle ones. It doesn't have anything to do with being homosexual. Men beat and abuse women and their children all the time. This woman just proved that women are capable of that as well.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 11:24 am

One last thing. I have zero

One last thing. I have zero tolerance for leaders that pick and choose what they want to enforce. How can I conduct and in-ranks inspection and make a single correction if I have a ranger-rolled headgear, pork-chop side burns, pants improperly bloused, head or facial hair out of tolerance, etc. These Soldiers are quoted regs and policies daily when they have an infraction, but those same battle buddies of mine stand infront of them doing crap against the regs, because they don't agree with it so they don't sell it; also B.S. I have too much pride to have to be corrected by someone for doing something blatantly wrong. I cannot correct every junior as it is, but I have damn so-called leaders with blue-tooth on in uniform, walking and talking an cellphones, long hair, etc. ....only a few more years to go Double D.

anotherday
anotherday 12/30/08 - 11:24 am

BarstoolDreamer- my point was

BarstoolDreamer- my point was in reguard to her position and UCMJ and "don't ask-dont tell". She is an officer in the United States Army

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 11:26 am

Yes, this has absolutly

Yes, this has absolutly nothing to do with her sexual orientation, it is her position and UCMJ.

anotherday
anotherday 12/30/08 - 11:27 am

sorry cant spell today

sorry cant spell today

anotherday
anotherday 12/30/08 - 11:29 am

But I think the biggest

But I think the biggest problem she has right now is her child. Who is going to raise this poor innocent baby while she is paying the price for her stupidity?

HillGuy
HillGuy 12/30/08 - 11:35 am

I'm aware that domestic

I'm aware that domestic violence occurrs equally in normal heterosexual relationships...but the homosexual lifestyle just adds an extra layer of dysfuction to this child's upbringing. Consider me old fashioned, but I think the best environment for children to be raised in is with two parents.. a mother and a father.. not a mom and her gal pal.

lorrainehsmith
lorrainehsmith 12/30/08 - 11:39 am

DoubleD, you are a bitter old

DoubleD, you are a bitter old lady!!!

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 12/30/08 - 11:39 am

I am sure....you guys do not

I am sure....you guys do not sound homophobic AT ALL in you comments. There is also a law against prayer in school. I am sure everyone that does that is arrested.

Dukedirtbag
Dukedirtbag 12/30/08 - 11:46 am

homophobia aside, she worked

homophobia aside, she worked in intellegence, ergo had a high security clearence, she was involved in an ILLEGAL relationship (all morality aside). therefore making herself vulnerable to blackmale .making her access to secure info compromised

Dukedirtbag
Dukedirtbag 12/30/08 - 11:48 am

shure theres a law against

shure theres a law against praying in school ( right or wrong) however school children have NOT taken any oaths to uphold or follow applicable laws

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 12/30/08 - 11:50 am

Oath or no oath I thought we

Oath or no oath I thought we were just arguing that a law is a law....I guess it is less of a law if you disagree with it.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 12:21 pm

Bitteroldlady or not, I'll be

Bitteroldlady or not, I'll be enjoying my military penision while this [filtered word]will go from educated and successful to a struggling single mother. Call me what you want, call me a hater, call me a homophobe, I don't care. I'll get mine on the 1st and 15th and soon for the rest of my life.

toppergem
toppergem 12/30/08 - 12:27 pm

Thank God this situation did not turn out worse. I am glad to know the little boy is ok. But, the home situation is going to have to change. The 14 year old and the five year old do not need to be in such a troubling home atmosphere. Everybody needs to go to counseling.

cparker
cparker 12/30/08 - 12:43 pm

DoubleD... You are totally

DoubleD... You are totally off point and don't know what the hell you are talking about. The military's don't ask don't tell is because the Army realizes that gay/lesbian relationships are a reality. Of course it would hurt the overall morale if the military would simply uphold such personal decisions. Miss Lewis has been outed, but she did not violate the UCMJ because she didn't out herself, and during her investigation by military CID they are not permitted to pursue questioning her along those lines unless she attempted to undermine the purpose of the UCMJ. Although her sexual preference is now clear, the military can not pursue her under the UCMJ. All this craziness you are suggesting is simply a mean spirited and calculated lie. I am a retired Senior NCO & you don't have the skill to snow me. Stop your lies & be grateful the young boy is doing fine.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 12/30/08 - 01:01 pm

ah.....gettin mine on the 1st

ah.....gettin mine on the 1st and 15th and screw everbody else....just what the lord intended

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 01:06 pm

[filtered word] ever. She won't be

[filtered word] ever. She won't be punished but I promise she will get a chapter 15. Show me where it says that if you are discovered to have a homosexual relationship that it is okay as long as you don't "out yourself." Retired NCO, maybe you are just outdated?

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 01:14 pm

Hmm. Statements, Acts, or

Hmm. Statements, Acts, or Marriage. I'd say she failed to uphold her end of the bargain by committing the act of a "romantic relationship" with this woman. In her defense, what is a romantic relationship? Women cannot have intercourse, by deffinition, with another woman. So is it even possible for two women to have intercourse AKA sex?

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 01:15 pm

I agree she cannot be

I agree she cannot be punished, but she will be separated. For wasting all the government's money on her training she should be IMHO.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 12/30/08 - 01:39 pm

To slightly change the

To slightly change the conversation - with a question - why does the AC post a picture and lengthy details of the SWAT officer that had to stop the woman by professionaly doing his job?
Each previous incident was listed. Did they ask his permission?
Did he request it be published? I doubt it. He has my utmost admiration, with all his fellow officers! I feel they should remain
anonymous!

dale88fan
dale88fan 12/30/08 - 02:05 pm

all they are is a bunch of

all they are is a bunch of carpet munchers! Double D -- did you really ask that ?

mable8
mable8 12/30/08 - 05:14 pm

Regardless of the stated

Regardless of the stated sexual preference, it has been proven that same-sex couples make better parents than heterosexual couples; furthermore, it is no one's business where one's partnership is concerned. Ms Lewis should not be mustered out of the military; she is not the criminal in this case. And jusy why shouldn't her son be returned to her? The culprit is Ms Reid, who's daughter was assisted to safety by Ms Lewis. I trust that Ms Reid's daughter is placed in a safe haven because her mother is in jail (or will be upon release from the hospital). This couple is not immoral because of sexual preferences, but Ms Reid is immoral for attempting to take a child's life. And by the way, some of the world's greatest statemen and philosophers were homosexual, as were their wives; sex was seen merely as a means to procreate. That homosexuality is considered an abomination to the Lord is man's precept, not God's; after all, He created all in His image. Thump your bible all you want, no one can PROVE that God said those words; because it is written, however, one can prove that man wrote those words.

Ramschick336
Ramschick336 12/30/08 - 07:10 pm

To all that reads this, the

To all that reads this, the young woman here that everyone is talking about is my sister, who is a very caring , and very protective mother. This should have not went on, but it did. This could happen to anyone in any relationship, it didn't happen because of her sexual preference. It happen because someone went mad and wanted to hurt someone becaue they were hurt. I am just glad that my sister and nephew made it through this on a day that is suppose to be special(Christmas Day)Ms. Lewis has family support that is there for her form the start. I hope that she doesn't lose her career for something that didn't happen while she was on duty. She was off and not on miltary property. Whatever may come out , I as her big sister and her other family is here to back her up in any decision she may make.

sweeney
sweeney 12/30/08 - 07:23 pm

I am so very thankful this

I am so very thankful this child is safe.It seems that physically he is recovering just fine,but the emotional damage may take years to overcome.We need to keep him and his family in our prayers.

Obamessiah
Obamessiah 12/30/08 - 08:10 pm

Mable, can you please cite a

Mable, can you please cite a study that has discovered that any particular sexual preference is more conducive to good parenting?

Didn't think so

workingmom
workingmom 12/30/08 - 10:29 pm

Mable, I also beg to differ

Mable, I also beg to differ with you on the study. I'm sure for any study you can find that suggests same-sex couples make BETTER parents than heterosexual couples, I could find at least 5 studies that suggest otherwise.

Searching 4 the facts
Searching 4 the facts 12/30/08 - 11:30 pm

Justice for Justin Elmore and

Justice for Justin Elmore and Sean Bell!
Remembering Alfaigo Davis

As It Is
As It Is 12/31/08 - 01:20 am

BarStoolDreamer, do you mind

BarStoolDreamer, do you mind showing me where there is a law against prayer in schools. Students are allowed to pray in school and so are employees. Some people act and argue as though students are not permitted to pray in school, but there is no truth to this. At best, you are confusing the difference between official, state-sponsored, state-mandated prayers led by school officials and personal, private prayers initiated and said by the student. The Supreme Court has never held that students cannot pray in school. Instead, the Supreme Court has ruled that the government cannot have anything to do with prayer in schools. The government cannot tell students when to pray. The government cannot tell students what to pray. The government cannot tell students that they should pray. The government cannot tell students that prayer is better than no prayer. Frankly, I don't want the governemnt or any teacher telling my children whom to pray to or when to pray no do I then prohibiting such actions. Fellowship of Christian Athletes and many other organizations are very active as well as "prayer around the flag pole" where both teachers and students actively participate.

Meth use on rise in Richmond County

Production of meth, a highly addictive drug made from household cold medicine, batteries, drain cleaner, brake fluid and other harmful chemicals, increased in recent years when the shake-and-bake ...