5-year-old hostage leaves hospital

A 5-year-old boy held hostage during a Christmas standoff and his mother, who was stabbed with a butcher knife during the incident, have been released from a hospital.

Georgette Reid, the woman charged in the crime and shot by police during a rescue attempt, remained at Medical College of Georgia Hospital on Monday.

Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength said the veteran SWAT member who shot Ms. Reid had no choice because she was slicing the boy's throat as officers were bursting through a barricaded door.

"We're just happy as hell knowing the boy is alive because we thought he wouldn't be," Lt. Scott Peebles said.

According to Sheriff Strength, Ms. Reid stabbed Latoya Lewis in the head and arm with a butcher knife Thursday when Ms. Lewis tried to break off their romantic relationship. Ms. Lewis called police and escaped from the Sunny Day Drive home with Ms. Reid's 14-year-old daughter.

Ms. Lewis, a military intelligence officer stationed at Fort Gordon, told deputies that she was unable to get her son out of the house and feared that his life was in danger, the sheriff said. Ms. Reid barricaded herself in a back room and wouldn't let deputies inside.

"That thing soured from the get-go," Sheriff Strength said.

Deputies tried to negotiate with Ms. Reid, but it became clear that she was going to harm the child, he said. As SWAT team officers detonated two diversionary grenades behind the house, others barged in from the front.

Ms. Reid was using the boy as a shield, but Deputy Scott White was able to shoot her once in the upper chest and rescue the child, Sheriff Strength said.

SWAT members train regularly and firing their weapons becomes almost automatic when necessary, Lt. Peebles said, but they prefer to talk someone into giving up.

He said there's a misconception fostered by Hollywood that SWAT teams can't wait to shoot somebody, but that isn't true.

"All the tactics we employ are designed to save lives, and that includes the life of the hostage-taker," Lt. Peebles said. "That's what we train to do."

Lt. Peebles said he couldn't put into words the pressure SWAT was under Thursday and the agony of knowing that a child's life could depend on their actions.

Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or greg.gelpi@augustachronicle.com.

PREVIOUS STORIES

- Hostage standoff ends in shooting

- Breakup is suspected catalyst

NEone
NEone 12/30/08 - 02:32 am
Lt. Peebles: Hell's not a

Lt. Peebles: Hell's not a very happy place. ... Glad to know the boy is recovering.

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/30/08 - 02:47 am
A "military intelligence

A "military intelligence officer" who was in a lesbian relationship with another "mother" - That's a nice touch (or whatever). I think they both need to join Jed in the not very happy place.

As It Is
As It Is 12/30/08 - 02:57 am
What an excellent job by

What an excellent job by these fine deputies saving a 5 year old boy from this crazed person. When will the community be holding a "celebration march" for these fine officers as I would like to participate, in a peacefuly manner of course. We have a good Sheriff's office in Richmond County and many fine deputies. When or if the county commission would give them the needed funds for decent salaries, additional training, acceptable retirement and fill the over 40 needed positions within the department, then the RCSO would go from good to great.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/30/08 - 04:56 am

Thank God the boy is alive and going home to try to recover from this traumatic experience.. May God Bless him!!!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/30/08 - 05:41 am
Here's yet another story of

Here's yet another story of how our brave sherriff's department members serve to protect us! Thank all of ya'll men and women for everything you do for us. I know that mother and that little boy will be thanking you for everyday of their lives! I hope all the "bad" folks involved with the problems down in Cherry Tree Crossing read this and appreciate it.

White_Trash2
White_Trash2 12/30/08 - 06:34 am
Great job RCSO

Great job RCSO

RBI
RBI 12/30/08 - 07:13 am
One thing that I've learned

One thing that I've learned is that you execute your mission the way you train and these guys must have had very good training because they met their objective. Bravo Zulu guys!!

HillGuy
HillGuy 12/30/08 - 07:27 am
Hopefully they are not going

Hopefully they are not going to place the boy back in that crazy immoral lesbian household. He needs to be placed in a safe and moral environment.

SCGAL53
SCGAL53 12/30/08 - 07:28 am
I'm so glad both mother and

I'm so glad both mother and child will be ok. Ms Lewis is serving our country, regardless of her sexual preferences. Few people here can say they have served in the Armed Forces. She doesn't deserve ridicule any more than any other victim of domestic violence. Let's try and be more positive in comments about her.

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 12/30/08 - 07:54 am
HOORAY FOR RONNIE STRENGTH

HOORAY FOR RONNIE STRENGTH AND TO THE SWAT TEAM. WE should be honored that these men who left their families on Christmas Day did there job, what they are trained for. It really gives me a bad taste when people put them down. We have a GREAT group of people and it takes a speical person to be a SWAT Team Member. I have known Ronnie Strength for a long number of years and I certainly appreciate him backing his people 100%. I've had affilation with RCSD and I know we have some lazy ones but look around in all your businesses and see how many each of them have and would you go in a house and try to save a 5 year old or anyone for that matter? I will stick to my job and you need to do the same. As for Ms.Lewis, that is her preference of life and if the Army lets her protect us then let it go. I don't agree with Lesbianism but then I don't have to live that life. It disgusts me as a matter of fact, as does GAY people. But you still take an oath to "Serve and Protect" and by golly that's what they did on Christmas Day. THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART, AND I WILL KEEP PRAYING FOR ALL OF RCSD AND SWAT TEAM AND NOW a LITTLE BOY AND HIS MOTHER AND LET'S NOT FORGET SISTER!!!!

Debster
Debster 12/30/08 - 08:49 am
Cudos RCSD for your service

Cudos RCSD for your service to the people of the Augusta-Richmond County community.

christian134
christian134 12/30/08 - 08:59 am
Once again profound thanks

Once again profound thanks going out to the men and women of the Richmond County Sheriff's Department and Swat Team...The young one is recovering and hopefully will get the assistance he will need to recover from the horror's that woman inflicted upon him...

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 09:04 am
...and I'm sure the the

...and I'm sure the the Officer won't be punished for her lesbian relationship. We are so PC that we don't even inforce our own regulations. The only [filtered word] that get kicked out are the ones that have milked the military for their own personal gain, and then when they decide they want out they officially "come out of the closet." Other than that most lesbians don't even try to hide it in the military. It's just as bad as the girls who get pregnant when they find out they are deploying, or they get preg in a combat zone. They still get their free ticket home.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 12/30/08 - 09:55 am
Bitter party of one, your

Bitter party of one, your table is ready

shamrock
shamrock 12/30/08 - 10:04 am
Great job RCSD! and

Great job RCSD! and (unfortunately) DoubleD is correct. It isn't being bitter ... it is stating facts!

Dukedirtbag
Dukedirtbag 12/30/08 - 10:06 am
don't ask don't tell, there

don't ask don't tell, there goes her security clearence

Concerned Citizen
Concerned Citizen 12/30/08 - 10:30 am
Someone mentioned the boy

Someone mentioned the boy should not be allowed to go home, but why? This incident does not prove the mother is not capable of taking care of him or failed to do that. She is not the one that held the knife to the boy's throat. The only thing she did was make a bad choice of her significant other but we all have done that. It may not have lead to this situation but how can you know what a person is capable of? There is no way to tell until they start to show signs. Maybe that is why she tried to break it off and this shows she did something. I am sure she did not ask the lady to cut her sons throat.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 10:35 am
enforce..oops

enforce..oops

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 10:52 am
As an Officer or Senior NCO,

As an Officer or Senior NCO, she should be punished. She blatantly has violated the UCMJ, which is her job to enforce, and I'm sure she has imposed punishment on others being that she's an Officer. It's bad enough when juniors do the wrong thing, but Seniors know better. If she isn't dealt with appropriately then her chain of command just opened up the doors for everyone to engage in homosexuality without punishment.

YuAhater
YuAhater 12/30/08 - 10:57 am
Wow DoubleD. Who do you think

Wow DoubleD. Who do you think gets a majority of women in combat pregnant? Do you currently serve in the military or are you just unknowledgeably opinionated? You want to put everyone down. Hmmmm lacking in some sort of male self esteem? People work hard for their clearances and make sacrifices everyday in the military. Whom they live with is none of our business. The higher you stand on that moral ground the higher you will fall.

HillGuy
HillGuy 12/30/08 - 11:05 am
In any case, this is not a

In any case, this is not a healthy environment for this kid to be in. The Homosexual lifestyle is not something small children should be raised up in, and in this case, you have a mother who brings mentally unstable lovers into the home. This child could have been killed. And under the military code of conduct, she should be discharged from the military.

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 12/30/08 - 11:09 am
I don’t see the problem. I’m

I don’t see the problem. I’m a lesbian trapped in a man’s body.

anotherday
anotherday 12/30/08 - 11:12 am
May I say everytime I have

May I say everytime I have ever had a dealing with RCSO they have been nothing but professional and courtious. I have been pull over for speeding and needed them to come to our home for an alarm that had been tripped 3 times- nothing but true professionals. SWAT is not a job like any other ( as I was in the military for many years) and they have to face split second decisions that the averege person could never comprehend. My they find peace this season and thoughout the year. There is a great quote by Orwell " People sleep warm in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" May RCSO and the RCSO SWAT Team sleep peaceful this season.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 11:13 am
It looks like someone thinks

It looks like someone thinks they know more than me. I don't care about anyone's personal lifestyle until it comes to light. She swore to obey the orders and chose not to. Now her personal lifestyle is in the limelight and her career is in someone else's hands. She knew the consequences. It is well known that as a Serviceman/woman you gave up certain freedoms you have as a civilain. As for preg girls in combat, I commented on that the other day, "They go unpunished becuase it is usually a Senior service member who did it. Most units don't want that negative light shed on them, so it's easier to send the girl home. That's B.S. So pay attention daily to what is said. I don't have sympathy for anyone that knowingly chooses to do wrong even when they get caught. If I get a DUI after a few beers, you won't hear me complaining. See I too am not perfect. P.S. I'm a Senior in the military, and I set the damn standard that I enforce. You don't pick and choose what you agree with and enforce that, you must obey and enforce all rules and regulations appointed by those over you. Your mentality is what is causing the downfall of the preservation of tradition and customs.

anotherday
anotherday 12/30/08 - 11:15 am
Double D she is going to pay

Double D she is going to pay somehow

anotherday
anotherday 12/30/08 - 11:17 am
As for the senor NCO or

As for the senor NCO or someone that did it - thats not true. I know for a fact. It is a stupid e3 or e4 that has no buisness reproducing at that point.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 12/30/08 - 11:17 am
" Ms Lewis is serving our

" Ms Lewis is serving our country, regardless of her sexual preferences. Few people here can say they have served in the Armed Forces." The "don't ask, don't tell" policy is still in effect - she has now "told" and under that policy it would seem as if the army has no choice but to dismiss her. While I agree that she is serving our country, she has put herself and her family into harm's way by becoming involved in a lesbian relationship gone bad. The "other woman" certainly exhibited her deep feeling of "love" by trying to kill the lover's child. It will be interesting to see if the army keeps this woman now that her lesbian "side" has been exposed. As for the child, will he be safe in that home? I'm all for children being reared by parents but when he's in danger of having his throat cut because of a parent's involvement with another person, that is hardly a safe environment. Agree or not, DoubleD is exactly correct - if she isn't dealt with according to the USCMJ, then every other soldier in her command can feel free to do his/her own thing without regard to the code of justice. That code is in place for a reason and has stood the test of time.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 11:18 am
Just because I happen to be a

Just because I happen to be a leader that lives, walks, and project the image all Soldiers to follow doesn't mean I'm on a soapbox or look down on others. How can this Officer in good concience stroke her pen to a piece of paper, which is sending a Soldier to confinement, reduction in rank, reduction in pay, or separation from service if she is knowingly breaking the rules? That is my point and it is people like her that make me have to find a response to a young Soldier when they say, "But we see NCOs doing it, or we see Officers doing it..."

anotherday
anotherday 12/30/08 - 11:21 am
She had no conscience when

She had no conscience when she moved in with her lover period!

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 12/30/08 - 11:21 am
I wonder how many

I wonder how many heterosexual parents bring home a mentally unstable person, or how many serial killers are raised in heterosexaul familes...you are going to have to do better than that argument.