Across the area

Woman charged with vehicular homicide

Sean Hope last spoke to his sister Dec. 12 and has not been seen or heard from since, according to a statement from the sheriff's office.  Special
Special

An Augusta woman who swerved onto the shoulder of Horseshoe Road, killing a pedestrian Sunday morning, has been charged with vehicular homicide, according to authorities.

Kandi Kay Koss, 20, of the 700 block of Bennock Mill Road, struck and killed Darrell Lamar Briggs, according to police reports.

Mr. Briggs, 23, of the 3500 block of Primrose Court, was standing on the shoulder of the road to help his father lift an oven into the back of a parked truck about 4 a.m. Sunday.

The truck was parked on the right side of the road, facing oncoming traffic, the report said.

Ms. Koss was driving too fast, swerved to avoid hitting the truck and drove off the road, hitting the truck door, three mailboxes and Mr. Briggs, the report said.

Ms. Koss was charged with first degree vehicular homicide, felony hit-and-run and driving too fast for conditions.

Mr. Briggs' father, Leon Briggs, was charged with improper parking, no insurance, suspended registration and an improper tag transfer.

Shopper says $600 bracelet sold for $3

A Saint Marys, Ga., woman told police that employees of Goodwill on Peach Orchard Road sold a $600 gold-and-diamond bracelet she lost while trying on clothes at the store.

Lori Renee Toms said that when she realized she had dropped the bracelet at the store Saturday she returned and was told by employees that it had been sold for $2.99.

Employee Shannon Latrice Ramsey, 23, of the 600 block of Sea Isle Drive, was arrested and charged with obstruction of a law enforcement officer and giving a false name, a report said.

Arrested on magistrate charges were: Tiffany Lashawn Lewis, 23, of the 3500 block of Mike Padgett Highway; Shawnte Nicole Berrio-Hartfield, 18, of the 3600 block of Georgia Highway 88 in Blythe; and Amario Eddie Ceaser, 29, of the 400 block of South Usry in Gibson, Ga.

Man shot in chest for not having cigarette

A man was shot in the chest Sunday night when he was asked for a cigarette but had none to give, according to a Richmond County sheriff's report.

Dominique Antoine Brown, 18, told two men that he didn't have any cigarettes, the report said. As he turned to walk away, one of the men pulled a revolver and shot him in the chest, the report said.

He was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital. Investigator Calvin Chew said Monday that he was in critical condition.

The shooting occurred in the 1400 block of Brookstone Road in Hephzibah about 10:30 p.m.

Court upholds death sentence decision

For the second time, the South Carolina Supreme Court has upheld a lower court's decision throwing out a death sentence for a man convicted of raping, torturing and killing a 72-year-old Aiken County woman.

On Monday, the justices affirmed their 4-1 September decision that 43-year-old Donney Council's lawyer should have done more than simply have Mr. Council's mother testify during the trial's sentencing phase.

Authorities say Mr. Council raped Elizabeth Gatti in her home, then forced her to ingest cleaning fluids before killing her in 1992.

A spokesman said Attorney General Henry McMaster hasn't decided whether he'll ask the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the case.

Police seek man in Family Dollar robbery

Police are looking for a man who robbed a Family Dollar store on Wrightsboro Road on Monday.

The man walked into the store about 1:30 p.m., flashed a handgun and took an undisclosed amount of cash from the register, according to Richmond County Investigator Ben Parrish.

The suspect fled on foot, Investigator Parrish said.

Marijuana, cocaine, guns seized in Aiken

Police arrested an Aiken man at his home Monday morning, seizing large quantities of drugs, guns and money, according to authorities.

Robbie Lavern Seigler, of the 100 block of Snipes Road in Aiken, was in jail Monday on charges of possession with intent to distribute marijuana, trafficking cocaine, two counts of possession of a controlled substance, four counts of distribution of marijuana and two counts of distribution of drugs within a half-mile of a school, Lt. Troy Elwell of the Aiken County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

Investigators seized about 5 pounds of marijuana and 1.25 ounces of cocaine, 17 guns, about $7,000 in cash and a vehicle, the statement said.

Lt. Elwell said the estimated street value of the marijuana was about $10,000 and the cocaine was worth about $1,800.

Information sought on man missing for weeks

The Aiken County Sheriff's Office is attempting to locate a man who has been missing for more than two weeks.

Mr. Hope is 33 years old, white, 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighs 140 pounds, the statement said. He has brown hair and blue eyes.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call (800) 922-9709.

Historic Augusta reps to attend workshop

Erick Montgomery, the executive director of Historic Augusta Inc., and Robyn Mainor, the group's preservation services director, are among 36 participants from across the country chosen to attend a workshop sponsored by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and Main Street Birmingham Inc.

The Jan. 10-17 program in Birmingham, Ala., includes preservation leadership training and emphasizes the most up-to-date preservation techniques, including training in current preservation practices, issues and strategies. The sessions will include classroom lectures, tours, team projects, role playing and participatory learning experiences.

National, state and local experts in preservation and organizational development comprise the workshop faculty, giving the participants a balanced national perspective and a network of state and local resources for the future.

Smithsonian's food exhibit to be at McDuffie Museum

Smithsonian Institution's traveling exhibit Key Ingredients: America by Food will be at the McDuffie Museum from Jan. 10 through Feb. 22.

Only 12 host sites in Georgia were chosen for the exhibit, which is sponsored by the Georgia Humanities Council and the Georgia Department of Economic Development.

Key Ingredients explores the connections between the foods Americans produce, prepare, preserve and present at the table. The exhibit addresses farming, table manners, history, markets and kitchen gadgets, according to the Smithsonian Web site.

Local cooks were interviewed for the book that accompanies the exhibit, and works of local artists also will be shown.

The exhibit coincides with the grand opening of the museum, which has undergone extensive renovations. A private, invitation-only grand opening will be held Jan. 10, and the public grand opening will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. Jan. 11. Admission is free, said Mary Anne Coussons, the executive director of Camellia Partners Inc., which has been overseeing the renovation. Contact the museum at (706) 595-9923 or (877) 595-9923.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 10:54 am
I too was feeling sorry for

I too was feeling sorry for the victim's family until I read "no inurance." I have to pay for mine to protect myself and others. I've seen too many people burned by others without insurance.

SAYIT AINTSO
SAYIT AINTSO 12/30/08 - 11:13 am
A lady lost her bracelet in a

A lady lost her bracelet in a store that sell nothing but used goods and she's mad that it got sold? I shop that particular store quite a bit and I know that they get a lot of really good stuff including jewelry! I've seen real diamonds, pearls, gold and silver there for very good prices! How do we know that the supposed $600 bracelet was even real? Only her word? It does sound like a scam! Sorry for her loss, but she did lose it! It's not like they stole it off her arm and sold it. I don't know these particular employees by name, but all the employees and managers that I have met while shopping have been extremely courteous and helpful!

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 11:28 am
...just like ELMO. I don't

...just like ELMO. I don't care if they are nice or what their past was. It was their actions towards law enforcement that was wrong.

lorrainehsmith
lorrainehsmith 12/30/08 - 11:50 am
DoubleD, you are still a

DoubleD, you are still a bitter old lady!!!

sanders23
sanders23 12/30/08 - 12:00 pm
"The sheriff's office was

"The sheriff's office was called to the store, but employees weren't cooperative and at one point wouldn't let them in, saying the store was closed, sheriff's Maj. Ken Autry said."...are you friggin kidding me? I hope each one these scum get fired and arrested. Ghetto trash at it's best. How pathetic. Giving a false name?? wonder why.

Einstein
Einstein 12/30/08 - 12:20 pm
Wow! I know where I'll be

Wow! I know where I'll be making my next jewelry purchase!

Einstein
Einstein 12/30/08 - 12:25 pm
Where did they get that

Where did they get that picture of Sean? It looks like a mug shot where they cropped out the ID sign. I wonder if they have looked for him on Facebook? Almost everyone has a Facebook page nowadays!

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 12:26 pm
larrainehsmith, do you have

larrainehsmith, do you have some pent up frustrations? Feeling guilty? Does the shoe fit you? Keep calling names while my educated, well planned actions pay off for me. Sorry, I had to work for what I got, because I don't have the luxury or blaming others on my problems in life.

sanders23
sanders23 12/30/08 - 12:39 pm
lorrainehsmith...Show some

lorrainehsmith...Show some respect for an officer of the country. Comments like those really show your background, or lack thereof.

rufus
rufus 12/30/08 - 12:40 pm
If I ever took home a

If I ever took home a bracelet from Goodwill my wife would have my heiney.sp?

Lobosolo
Lobosolo 12/30/08 - 12:44 pm
Is this thing on?

Is this thing on?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/30/08 - 01:06 pm
I wonder how they found out

I wonder how they found out which car hit the young man if she took off, she turn herself in or did they find her. How long had passed.......if she didnt go home to mommy and daddy and call the police immediately after, then I would assume she was drunk trying to sober!!! My deepest sympathy to the family of this young man, so tragic!!!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/30/08 - 01:09 pm
I don't know about you, but

I don't know about you, but my son has had to head out to work at 4am on one of his jobs and my ex-husband did the same for months at a time while on shift work. It was no picnic, coming home from work at 4am either. This is a tragedy all round, and I hope it all gets sorted out justly.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/30/08 - 02:01 pm
I agree B, I too worked until

I agree B, I too worked until late hours, its just the not stopping part I wonder about, had she stopped and he was parked in the road, she may not have been in much trouble. I understand she's young and scared but that still isn't an acceptable reason to possibly leave an accident and making sure no one needed medical help, it could be the difference in if that person lives or dies. It wasn't a little bump she may have though was a pot hole, it was a door, a person and 3 mailboxes. That's why I'm wondering did they call police immediately after she got home or did she not tell anyone until the police caught her. Need more details.

justus4
justus4 12/30/08 - 02:01 pm
The vehicular homocide

The vehicular homocide charges sounds like a terrible accident, but here is why race is involved in all decisions: This sounds like a young lady of color driving too fast and sadly, she ran over a passenger of someone operating a vehicle illegally. He sounds like a non-minority and thats why the DA decided to prosecute. It is that simple, and it happens every day.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/30/08 - 02:17 pm
Man, I so hope that the us 4

Man, I so hope that the us 4 doesn't mean you have kids.... poor things, they don't stand a chance!!!

strictly bussiness
strictly bussiness 12/30/08 - 02:21 pm
i,m sure that the family of

i,m sure that the family of Mr Briggs, are really down on their luck these days, a hard working man just like my father, what i'm saying is that we as a community should come together and give a lending hand in a family in need or our help. could we try to setup a fund are something for this family, maybe one of the radio station could help us out, think about it

rufus
rufus 12/30/08 - 02:28 pm
Not smoking is bad for your

Not smoking is bad for your health

change display name
change display name 12/30/08 - 03:17 pm
Justus--there is nothing

Justus--there is nothing indicating the race of either of the people involved. You are ASSuming that the "black" girl is being prosecuted because the person who was run down on the side of the road was "white." If it were a black person who was killed by a white person, you would be the first one screaming for a murder charge. I know you have never parked against traffic nor have you stood on the shoulder of the road. You obviously would have deserved to die if you did. You, Sir, are a racist.

hossiv
hossiv 12/30/08 - 03:32 pm
ATTN: JUSTUS4 has been

ATTN: JUSTUS4 has been outed! He or she is really a racist white person trying to make black people look like morons. Anyone who reads his comments can clearly see that no one is this stupid. Someone else had a good idea too. Justus4 might be someone at the Aug. Chron. just trying to keep the race card alive and well.

mutt
mutt 12/30/08 - 03:32 pm
change display name you must

change display name you must be new here! Everybody knows that justus4 is a racist. I would say ignore him and he'll go away, but he won't. It would help your blood pressure to ignore him anyway though. BTW forget trying to reason with him, it is impossible to reason with an unreasonable person.

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 12/30/08 - 03:40 pm
Hossiv, I believe that

Hossiv, I believe that JUSTUS4 is not white. If you have checked his/her posts in the past, you can clearly see that he/she is not white, but a racist hateful person.

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 12/30/08 - 03:40 pm
same thing I was saying mutt.

same thing I was saying mutt. I guess you just got to it before I did.

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 12/30/08 - 03:42 pm
seriously, how much money

seriously, how much money could you actually rob the Dollar General of? Way even bother?

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 12/30/08 - 09:21 pm
justus, get a life. How can

justus, get a life. How can you make that racist???

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 12/30/08 - 09:24 pm
It might have changed, but

It might have changed, but most of the 'employees' at Goodwill, the Salvation Army, etc. are actually people performing community service as part of their sentence. IMO donated items are 'picked over' and never get to the floor for sale to the public.

workingmom
workingmom 12/30/08 - 11:29 pm
Please explain to me how

Please explain to me how someone can "sound" like they are a minority or non-minority???????? Give me a break! Someone lost a life here and you try to make this a racial thing.

Searching 4 the facts
Searching 4 the facts 12/30/08 - 11:48 pm
Justice for Justin Elmore and

Justice for Justin Elmore and Sean Bell!
Remembering Alfaigo Davis

jkhndz79
jkhndz79 01/12/09 - 01:25 pm
Darrell Briggs was my

Darrell Briggs was my classmate. I just found out today because it was our first day after Holiday break. He had a great sense of humor and contagious laughter. He will be missed. My sympathies to his family.