Must I be charged for every song?

Recently I woke up and decided to do what I do every morning, get on my computer. I signed onto Myspace. When I clicked on the symbol for new messages, I had a message titled, "Widget From Your Profile Has Been Deleted."

Upon opening this message and reading it, I discovered that an add-on called a Project Playlist player, was removed from my page due to copyright issues.

I ask you, how greedy are artists going to get, along with the rest of the world? I mean, yes I understand it's their work, their songs, but they get millions for songs, along with the rest of their merchandise. For most people, music means something, music is a way to get away, music is a lifestyle, music is freedom of expression. Music can show the mood of a person, or the beliefs, or whatever they happen to want it to show.

I put the Project Playlist player on my Myspace page to express myself, to show what I like, to say what I can't say. Now, it's gone.

Yes, I still have my account on Project Playlist, but pretty soon if artists don't stop being so greedy that'll be gone too.

I own CDs and a radio, but I put music on my pages to show others my expression and now it's slowly being taken away.

iTunes, CDs, and other things contain music you have to pay for. Those are perfectly fine; they make money for the artists and the company. But frankly not everyone can afford it. My family is most certainly one of the many families in America that has money problems, and we all love music, but no one should have to pay for it every time they download a song. It's ridiculous. I mean, am I going to start being charged every time I sing a song in a talent show, for tryouts, or just in the shower?

Music is a part of freedom of expression for artists and for the fans who listen to it. So, shouldn't at least some of that expression be for free?

Sierra Vennes, Martinez

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/29/08 - 03:11 am
PEBO will fix it for you -

PEBO will fix it for you - never fear! Everything for free!

El Guapo
El Guapo 12/29/08 - 04:35 am
Geez, why should I have to

Geez, why should I have to pay for food or gas? I mean, I need them, and I'm sure someone worked to produce them, but they already make plenty of money, so what's it going to hurt if "I" don't pay? Or maybe my clothes should be free too. They let me express myself to the world, and Wal-Mart already makes a ton of money, so what's it going to hurt?

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 12/29/08 - 05:47 am
Musicians are rich....they

Musicians are rich....they should be punished and forced to give their product away! Maybe we should take their money away as well! Save us PEBO!!!!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/29/08 - 06:02 am
Sierra...copyright.

Sierra...copyright.

_SisterAbdullahX_
_SisterAbdullahX_ 12/29/08 - 06:09 am
When you take something that

When you take something that belongs to someone else, without paying for it, it's called theft. Look into it sierra.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/29/08 - 06:17 am
Well I cannot afford their

Well I cannot afford their clothes lines, does that mean I should steal the clothes? Musicians are usually fronted the money and their music sales and performances are to get them out of their initial debt. I download illegal music but I know not to complain if I ever get caught.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 12/29/08 - 06:56 am
A whoo whoo!!! I'm tellin!

A whoo whoo!!! I'm tellin! Silliest LTE Ive seen. Can't even disagree with PT.

dhd1108
dhd1108 12/29/08 - 07:25 am
you want to freely express

you want to freely express yourself on myspace? why not upload your mp3 file to your webspace and learn html and embed the file on your myspace. although i doubt you'd have the l33t skillz required to do this. at any rate.. these kinds of actions are the LABELS messing around, grubbing for every cent they can. people are fed up with paying 17$ for a cd thats been out for 17+ years or that costs less than three cents to burn. they turn to friends & other sources to swap music instead.. rendering itunz cds and what have you.. OBSOLETE! Now don't get me wrong. I'm all for supporting THE ARTIST. Most of them make NO MONEY on record/cd/mp3 sales. They make most touring in concerts. now if you'll excuse me i'm going to go crank up the tom petty

1941
1941 12/29/08 - 08:15 am
Who is pebo?

Who is pebo?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/29/08 - 08:53 am
mimsy, fancy headlines call

mimsy, fancy headlines call Pres.ElectBarackObama the PEBO.

christian134
christian134 12/29/08 - 09:03 am
Sierra come back from

Sierra come back from wherever you seem to be coming from...To take a song that is copyrighted without paying is theft...I am sorry you cannot pay for it but you have no right to steal it...But maybe you will fall under the umbrella of those who have will give you what you don't have as a right of some sort of passage into the world of not having to earn what you receive...

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 12/29/08 - 09:05 am
Please make sure this

Please make sure this Democrat is no longer allowed to vote.

Lobosolo
Lobosolo 12/29/08 - 09:20 am
I didn't realize listening to

I didn't realize listening to someone else's music and letting other people know you listen to it was a form of expression... I always thought CREATING a piece of music for others to hear was a form of expression.

ITDoc
ITDoc 12/29/08 - 09:42 am
Sierra: The Artists are

Sierra: The Artists are telling you something loud and clear. "Glad our music reflects your ideas so closely. Since you aren't creative enough to produce such on your own, pay us."

shamrock
shamrock 12/29/08 - 09:47 am
Copyright infringement

Copyright infringement protects the song writers more than the artists! There is a law to protect those who violate the law (like you, you whiney little person) and if you don't like it ... too bad. The song writers are being paid for their talent and ability to express themselves. They don't write songs for free to assist people like you who can't express themselves. Same thing with photos ... the pictures belong to the photographer ... not the subject nor anyone who just believes they should be able to use a beautiful picture for free.

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/29/08 - 09:55 am
I thought the new post modern

I thought the new post modern thinking was there is no such thing as a crime. Stealing is just wealth redistribution. Remember Ray Charles said he always played the music for free but had to get paid for all the rest of the shebang and people who worked for him.

jusanote
jusanote 12/29/08 - 10:18 am
Sierra, Quit being an idiot!

Sierra,
Quit being an idiot! Artists have every right to be paid for thier music. Assuming you have a job, do you work for free? Granted they make more money than the average person because people BUY their music. That is their job and they deserve payment for it just as you do.

avidreader
avidreader 12/29/08 - 10:19 am
Boo hoo! Paying for music on

Boo hoo! Paying for music on line is a better value than purchasing a CD in a store. Cough up the bucks, little girl and stop complaining. Why did the editor even print this crap?

DMac_357
DMac_357 12/29/08 - 10:30 am
I4PUTT, I didn't see this

I4PUTT, I didn't see this lady type her political affiliation in the letter. Stop being a moron! Lobosolo - you hit the nail right on the head. If she really wants to express herself, she should create something.

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 12/29/08 - 10:46 am
ANARCHY. You want free music?

ANARCHY.
You want free music? Buy a flute!

shamrock
shamrock 12/29/08 - 10:57 am
Mimsy ... PEBO means

Mimsy ... PEBO means President Elect Barack Obama

dashiel
dashiel 12/29/08 - 11:02 am
All sarcasm aside, people who

All sarcasm aside, people who create literature are also artists, yet they aren't compensated each time we check out one of their books from the library. Their work is coyprighted just as is the work of songwriters, so please brilliant oracles, won't you explain why one artist should be compensated while another artist is not? I happen to think ALL artists should be paid for their work, but I don't think a bunch of old fart smart alecks should attack a young lady for attempting to express her confusion and frustration over a matter that is not so simple. (Incidentally, she expresses herself better than most of you. I, too, wonder how ASCAP comes up with their logarithm for every time we murder a tune by singing it in the shower!)

christian134
christian134 12/29/08 - 11:44 am
Well so much for putting your

Well so much for putting your sarcasm aside eh dashiel...:-)

KSL
KSL 12/29/08 - 11:52 am
dashiel, they were

dashiel, they were compensated when the book was bought, just the same as the cd or dvd you can check out. I own a cd and let you borrow it. No problem.

KSL
KSL 12/29/08 - 11:58 am
And, if you write a letter to

And, if you write a letter to the editor that is published, you better understand that you run the possibility of being "attacked."

Nay Sayer
Nay Sayer 12/29/08 - 12:05 pm
Pay for your music. Someone

Pay for your music. Someone worked hard (or at least some producer worked hard, cant say much about "artists" these days) and deserves their pay so quit whining and pay up.

Rob Pavey
Rob Pavey 12/29/08 - 12:27 pm
I think Washington is mulling

I think Washington is mulling a special bailout package for folks who can't afford online music. Just email your Congressman for details.

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/29/08 - 12:30 pm
Everything should be free.

Everything should be free. Wikipedia believes knowledge should be free. Why not a "free" everything just like a "free" market. We should all work for free and receive free goods for our contribution to society. No more money, no finances, just a supply and demand economy. No taxes, our govt will work for free so that will ease corruption. Everybody will fill their niche in life like ants working for the common good and making sacrifices for the common good-remember its not about you but about the population. No welfare but everybody other than the handicapped have to contribute-no loafers that will be a death penalty offense. No need to steal so that leaves other offenses to deal with, but I believe we can alleviate that and create the perfect society. No crime-no prison. We will have a death penalty for social offenses and just to thin out the population when there are too many for resources-remember supply and demand. hee,hee,hee. We will all be driven to do our best for the common good and use our talents for the common good rather than personal gain. Wow! What fool believes that crap.

Farful
Farful 12/29/08 - 12:37 pm
turn on the radio

turn on the radio

mable8
mable8 12/29/08 - 02:50 pm
Sierra: The originator of the

Sierra: The originator of the song actually receives less in royalties than the producers and backers of the songs they write; exactly what persentage of the sale price the writer receives is in the contract. It takes years for a song writer to realize the millions you think they have; it doesn't occur over night or with one hit. Unscrupulous people have been pirating their work for years, denying the writer of his/her just payment and the government has finally cracked down on these thefts. You should pay for the privilege of using their music; if you are unable to pay the fees for downloading, then you simply should not do it. Think of it this way, if you wrote a song that became somewhat popular, would you want another person to simply record it without paying you? I don't think so. Copyright infringement or thefts are serious crimes because they deny the originator their livlihood.

Sheriff's office seeks comments

A national law enforcement accreditation group is seeking the public's opinions on the Richmond County sheriff's office during a public meeting next week.