Sad, silly year for media

Where's Art Linkletter when you need him?

The legendary broadcaster who earned lasting fame by getting kids to say "the darndest things" could have a heyday interviewing members of today's news media.

It turns out that they, too, say the darndest things.

The Media Research Center has again highlighted the year's "Best Notable Quotables," a collection of over-the-top condemnations of Republicans, religious people and conservatives, and exultations of everything liberal, from the so-called "mainstream" media.

This was a particularly outrageous year for liberal bias, with members of the media openly drooling with excitement over Barack Obama.

Even so, the winner of the Media Research Center's 21st Annual Awards for the Year's Worst Reporting could never have been in doubt. It's this timeless on-air gem from former Democratic operative and current MSNBC show host Chris Matthews after an Obama speech:

"I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don't have that too often. ... And that is an objective assessment."

That bit of video ought to be required viewing in every journalism school in America -- as an example of what not to do.

But there are plenty of other examples from 2008. Some examples:

- "When NBC News first assigned me to the Barack Obama campaign, I must confess my knees quaked a bit. ... I wondered if I was up to the job. I wondered if I could do the campaign justice." -- NBC reporter Lee Cowan.

- "We'll be 8 degrees hotter in ... 30 or 40 years, and basically none of the crops will grow. Most of the people will have died and the rest of us will be cannibals." -- CNN founder Ted Turner.

- "If you have a few hundred followers, and you let some of them molest children, they call you a cult leader. If you have a billion, they call you 'Pope.'" -- Bill Maher on HBO's Real Time .

- "Some princes are born in palaces. Some are born in mangers. But a few are born in the imagination, out of scraps of history and hope." --- Time magazine's Nancy Gibbs, in a cover story on "Prince" Barack Obama.

- "Today, the audacity of hope had its rendezvous with destiny. ... Obama is now an adopted son of Camelot, his candidacy blessed not just by the Lion of the Senate, patriarch of the clan, but by JFK's daughter." -- ABC's David Wright on Nightline .

- "To see (Jeremiah Wright's) career completely destroyed by three 20-second sound bites, all of the work he has done, his entire legacy gone down the drain, has been absolutely devastating to me -- to him, sorry. ... We are still a racist country." -- Washington Post writer Sally Quinn on PBS's Charlie Rose

- "The fact of the matter is, the comparison between (Sarah Palin) and Hillary Clinton is the comparison between an igloo and the Empire State Building!" -- Chris Matthews.

The line between news and commentary, between journalism and advocacy, blurred to indecipherable this year. How sad.

"Reporters didn't so much produce 'news' during this election year as they tried to make a sale," writes the Media Research Center's Brent Bozell. "Every story seemed to say, 'You know you want Obama.'"

That's not Obama's fault. That's the media's.

And, ultimately, ours, if we ever allow it again.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/29/08 - 04:25 am
I bet even Obama laughs at

I bet even Obama laughs at the silly, oily sycophants in the media fawning over him. By the way, Chris Matthews saying Sarah Palin is an igloo and Hillary is the Empire State Bldg. makes me wonder about that thrill that runs up his leg when Obama speaks. Something ain't right.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/29/08 - 05:51 am
The misinformation and

The misinformation and manipulated information the MSM has become known for (ref: the 300 year plan; The Manifesto) has given rise to AM talk radio and FOX news. Half of this country can tune into any MSM station or read any MSM newspaper and find the exact same spiel chanted, almost in unison. Or, they can turn to a more honorable source of information and find out what's really happening in America and around the world. Obviously, from our last election, the MSM still influences a large number of the great unwashed.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 12/29/08 - 06:28 am
Which explains why college

Which explains why college educated, higher-income earners voted for Obama, right, pettythomas? Corporate media is a wasteland. Anybody who relies on 1 source alone for their news will likely be misinformed. Reading is the least passive medium. Television viewing is the most passive medium. Chris Matthews is regularly trashed by the left-leaning blogosphere. He is derisively referred to as "Tweety". Citing Brent Bozell as an objective media watchdog is ludicrous. The press absolutely fawned over John McCain. When he appeared before newspaper editors he was given a box of donuts (with Sprinkles!) and a standing ovation. Barack Obama was referred to as "Osama". Corporate media clearly favored McCain. AP's Liz Sidoti was the fawning journalist on that occasion, but she is not the only AP person close to McCain. AP's Washington bureau chief, Ron Fournier, the man responsible for directing the wire service's coverage of the presidential campaign was offered the job of McCain's campaign chairman. Even the fabled "Gray Lady" of the so-called "liberal media", The New York Times, is Establishment media. When the Pentagon wanted to plant a story it went to Judith Miller & now Michael Gordon.

stadry
stadry 12/29/08 - 07:31 am
1 wonders why cain's so angry

1 wonders why cain's so angry still,,, didn't his guy win ???

HotFoot
HotFoot 12/29/08 - 07:37 am
Where, oh where, are the

Where, oh where, are the absurd comments made by the right-wing media? Hmmmm? There was plenty of anti-Obama and pro-McCain-Palin b.s. promulgated by not just Fox, but CNN commentators, as well as what used to be known as "the networks". Not to mention that some of the so-called media folks mentioned in the editorial are comedians (Maher), corporate CEOs, who are not in the trenches (Turner), and commentators who plainly avow their Dem-leaning perspectives. BTW, in what way is what Chris Matthews said comparing Palin and Clinton wrong? To most people, Palin was quite simply unqualified--a hail Mary play that didn't win the game. I'm sure McCain himself regrets his faulty choice.

shivas
shivas 12/29/08 - 08:16 am
Failure cannot be covered by

Failure cannot be covered by excuses. Pitiful right-wing.

justus4
justus4 12/29/08 - 08:20 am
The article is stating the

The article is stating the obvious to those citizens willing to personally inform themselves and not allow pundits to give their opinions about events, because everyone has a bias. The task is to correctly identify that bias and produce facts to substantiate that claim. In the article, there is not a single person of color's quote, it's always about a minority. (U think thats a minor omission?) You're wrong and here is why: The people that make money selling airtime, news media, etc all come from the same cultural background, look much the same, and all have personal biases. They decide what & whom appears on cable, in stories & so-called news stories, thus affecting the national dialogue. And it will only get worse because the "media" is bought & sold on ratings, while the truth is no where to be found. The country is sinking and the media is spearheading the dive.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 12/29/08 - 08:54 am
justus, good morning sir. You

justus, good morning sir. You are a dinosaur. All of your arguments belong in the 60's & 70's. This is 2008, 1 week from from 2009. People of color are a small minority in this country, less than 12% of the population. Yet we have colored main street journalists, black senators, black congress members, a black president, the black congressional caucaus, black tv station owners, black business owners, black professors. The list goes on & on. You are doing yourself an injustice crying in your beer about how as a strong black man, you are being held down by the white man. It just isn't so any more. And if you are unfortunate enough to live in an area where you are discriminated against daily, just move. I promise you it ain't like that in many places any longer.

christian134
christian134 12/29/08 - 09:18 am
Hands clapping...Standing on

Hands clapping...Standing on feet for 14PUTT...Well said well said...One day people are going to find out that respect is to be earned without the crying and carrying on about the White Boogie Man...Find another reason to get up in the morning justus4...Learning to live without blaming someone else is great and quite freeing...

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/29/08 - 10:08 am
I think the problem is people

I think the problem is people often confuse opinion with facts. I can read a hard science article filled with facts, but then read the discussion which interprets the facts and lends opinion. Funny sometimes the authors will completely misinterpret their own data because of a bias-the facts remain the same but the interpretation will be varied. Blogs are just opinions and often biased opinions. I get sick of the conservative and liberal propaganda because now the media feels it their duty to "intrepret" the news for us. Still you can't compare O'Reilly with Joe Pyne, because O'Reilly will retort with a Thesaurus and Joe would just say go gargle with razor blades. What a hoot!

jack234
jack234 12/29/08 - 10:45 am
We should all jump up out of

We should all jump up out of our seats and give three cheers to the media if they in anyway enabled the election of president-elect Obama. It could have went the other way, and look where we would be. I have to give a toot toot to the media in '08. Rush was just a big joke in '08. HELLO!HELLO!

dashiel
dashiel 12/29/08 - 11:19 am

Thank You, Riverman1, for the best laugh of the day! Something ain't right indeed!!!

KSL
KSL 12/29/08 - 11:33 am
Why do so many people in this

Why do so many people in this area say "it could have went"?

KSL
KSL 12/29/08 - 11:34 am
Justus, if you are over 25,

Justus, if you are over 25, you have no one to blame for anything but yourself. Time to take responsibily for what happens to you in life.

hossiv
hossiv 12/29/08 - 11:48 am
I really think Justus4 is a

I really think Justus4 is a white person disguised as a uneducated racist black person. I cant stop laughing at the over the top, idiotic, racist comments that are made 100% of the time.

KSL
KSL 12/29/08 - 12:00 pm
Maybe justus is a person on

Maybe justus is a person on the AC staff assigned to make comments to get more comments back at him, and thus hits, so they can sell advertising.

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/29/08 - 12:19 pm
I thought justus and Cain

I thought justus and Cain were both fakes because they are so outrageous and redundant-maybe ACE plants to stir the pot. I thought no one could be so closed and small minded and not even realize it. Then I realized the ACE was probably smokin it rather than stirring it, and these were actually real beings. I was aghast. hee,hee,hee.

sjgraci
sjgraci 12/29/08 - 12:24 pm
The Chronicle, along with

The Chronicle, along with Faux News, are the saddest and silliest of them all.

elliottness
elliottness 12/29/08 - 12:28 pm
now isn't that cute? the

now isn't that cute? the biased repuke chronicle rag printing all those examples,and none from the perfect republican party? i guess since most of their little family involve [filtered word] in stalls and on the internet,why shock the little kiddies?this paper is as disgusting as the party it represents.the trash in the whitehouse is packing,the trash in the vp home is packing, and darn not one picture of mary cheney test tube baby,darn!

hossiv
hossiv 12/29/08 - 12:42 pm
Ellitoness, how can you type

Ellitoness, how can you type with that straight jacket on?

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/29/08 - 12:53 pm
Blame the media all you want.

Blame the media all you want. Fox news, was the biggest, biased joke of this electoral cycle. Don't forget the Obama's baby mama comment. It don't matter now, in twenty two days Obama will be inaugurated and the leadership vaccuum will filled.22 days tick,tick,tick,tick....

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 12/29/08 - 01:19 pm
I would have compiled all of

I would have compiled all of the racist, homophobic, misogynistic things the conservatives in the media said had I not been in a rush to get nominations for Worst People of the Year and Best People of the Year. The Augusta Chronicle was named the Worst Person of the Year by me. And this is yet another reason why they earned this dishonorable award.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 12/29/08 - 01:27 pm
Never mind, I can compile

Never mind, I can compile that on Friday.

KSL
KSL 12/29/08 - 01:41 pm
The Augusta Chronicle is not

The Augusta Chronicle is not a person, willis. Try again.

jack234
jack234 12/29/08 - 01:43 pm
As an independent, I'm

As an independent, I'm working hard to get the Obama train cranked up for the inauguration. I already have my tickets and is ready to get onboard. If you have your ticket, please let me know so I can slow down in your neighborhood so you can jump on. Please bring light luggage to make room for more passengers. This thing is going to be a blow-out. TOOT

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/29/08 - 02:38 pm
I thought the AC's handling

I thought the AC's handling of the Presidential election would warrant them a Pulitzer or somethin for being so unbiased and writing such cogent and brilliant articles. Ooops sorry I was in Bizarro World. Reverse it.

hossiv
hossiv 12/29/08 - 03:34 pm
RCR, I do remember the

RCR,
I do remember the Obama's babys mama comment. Only Michelle Obama chose to introduce her husband in a similar fashion on stage when he defeated Alan Keyes for the Illinois Senate, saying "My baby's daddy". Funny, that your ok with her choosing to describe Obam that way!

mgroothand
mgroothand 12/29/08 - 04:07 pm
Media is plural for medium. A

Media is plural for medium. A medium in this case may well be television but could also mean newspapers, radio, magazines or billboards. All that was discussed in this editorial and comments is television and its many gaffs. Does the A/C not make their own gaffs? The NYT is one long gaff everyday. I remember radio making many. Once, in another market, a radio announcer reading a local story about a well known personality being killed in a car accident said "John Doe was not wearing a seat belt and was ejaculated from his car". Heard it myself.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/29/08 - 04:19 pm
Hossiv, you may not remember

Hossiv, you may not remember it, but they said it. What about Hannity's ten reasons not to vote for Obama.Fox news,Augusta Chronicle, hate radio, the internet lies. This column is a joke. They seem to have sour grapes.When the world give you grapes, just make whine.hahahaha.......

hossiv
hossiv 12/29/08 - 04:35 pm
RCR, Did you decide not to

RCR,
Did you decide not to read my comment? I said "I DO REMEMBER THE OBAMA BABY'S MAMA COMMENT"(Try re reading).
I brought up something Michelle Obama said on stage, in front of the cameras. I AGREE with you that FNC should not have described her in that way, but whats the difference in "Obama baby's mama and my baby's daddy? Let me guess, blacks can say racist things and its ok but whites are just racist when they say the same thing?

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...