Breakup is suspected catalyst

An attempt to break off a romantic relationship might have led to a Christmas Day hostage situation that ended with a woman being shot by police at a south Richmond County home.

Sheriff Ronnie Strength said that while it is still early in the investigation and details haven't been verified yet, officers believe that when Latoya N. Lewis told Georgette P. Reid she wanted to end the relationship, Ms. Reid allegedly attacked her with a butcher knife.

Ms. Lewis and Ms. Reid's 14-year-old daughter escaped from the house on Sunny Day Drive and called 911, the sheriff said. Ms. Reid and Ms. Lewis' 5-year-old son remained inside.

When hostage negotiators couldn't get Ms. Reid to release the child, SWAT team members set off two diversionary flash grenades and pushed their way into a barricaded bedroom, finding Ms. Reid with an 8-inch butcher knife to the boy's throat, the sheriff said. Deputy Scott White, a member of the SWAT team, shot Ms. Reid once in the upper chest.

"He probably saved the boy's life," Sheriff Strength said of Deputy White's actions.

Ms. Reid and Ms. Lewis and her son were hospitalized Thursday afternoon. Sheriff Strength said Ms. Reid was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, but a spokeswoman said it had no record of her.

Sheriff Strength said Deputy White had no choice but to shoot. Officers tried for more than two hours to calm Ms. Reid but she continued to scream and threaten to kill the boy, he said. When officers feared she was at the point of physically harming the child, they busted through the bedroom door, he said.

Neighbors told officers that one or both women were in the military. A woman's Army uniform was found at the house, Sheriff Strength said.

A database search of public records showed Ms. Reid was in the service in the late 1990s and might have served in Korea.

Since the case involved a police shooting, the criminal investigation has been turned over to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

The shooting is the third time that Deputy White has been involved in such an incident. In 1997 and 2004, he was involved in the fatal shootings of two people who had aimed weapons at officers. Both shootings were ruled justified.

Ms. Reid, 32, and Ms. Lewis, 26, lived together with their children on 2204 Sunny Day Drive. According to city property records, Ms. Lewis bought the home June 4 for $167,900.

Neither Ms. Reid nor Ms. Lewis had anything more serious than a traffic ticket since they moved to the Augusta area this year.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

OFFICER HAS SHOT BEFORE

Richmond County Sheriff's Deputy Scott White was involved in two prior shootings. Both were ruled justified after GBI investigations.

DEC. 29, 1997: Deputy White was investigating a suspicious-person call on Turkey Trail when 46-year-old David C. Graham fired a gun at the deputy, who returned fire. Mr. Graham was killed.

OCT. 7, 2004: Deputy White and two other members of the SWAT unit fired at 40-year-old Rebecca Key when she pointed a weapon at the officers. Ms. Key, who had barricaded herself with a weapon inside a Walnut Street house, was killed.

k6opsdmm
k6opsdmm 12/27/08 - 05:36 am
Oh no!! I hope those big bad

Oh no!! I hope those big bad black panthers and Rev. Al sharpton dont come running. I just cannot belive the police in this case. how could they shoot this poor poor women. She was a local hero.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 12/27/08 - 07:17 am
You're an idiot and your

You're an idiot and your comments are both ignorant and inappropriate. I didn't know either of them were Black Panthers, unless that's some stupid reference to their race. Can't you find something a little more adult-ish to say? I'll give you an example " I hope this young boy is going to be ok and that neither of these children are permanently traumatized". I'll pray for the family and you....

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 12/27/08 - 08:42 am
panther, the k6 statement was

panther, the k6 statement was in regards to the irresponsible, illegal actions taken after the police shot a man in Cherry Tree Crossing, ie, the burnings, shooting of weapons and the statements made by Sharpton and the NBPs. You are obviously one who supports the drug dealer. If I have taken you nick wrong, I apologize.

WAG
WAG 12/27/08 - 09:30 am
I guess they all went to MCG

I guess they all went to MCG on my dime. I do not care if they are black or white I am sick of paying for other people to go to the hospital. If I went down there they would laugh at me. Get a job like I have to just for the insurance.

SCGAL53
SCGAL53 12/27/08 - 09:33 am
k6 made a sarcastic statement

k6 made a sarcastic statement that was not neccessary. I agree with panther in that k6 does not need to stir up trouble. Let's wait and allow the cops to do their job. I've heard of no rioting in this issue.

SCGAL53
SCGAL53 12/27/08 - 09:34 am
uga, who said these folks are

uga, who said these folks are unemployed? I would not choose MCG myself, but have employed and insured friends that would. Is this another assumption?

icanusethat
icanusethat 12/27/08 - 10:04 am
wow 2 women cutting up that

wow 2 women cutting up that stuff must been really good

SIGHER
SIGHER 12/27/08 - 10:09 am
Carpet munchers!!........I

Carpet munchers!!........I called it (pat myself on back)........Lover's quarrel. Wow, Christmas is not a good time to 'break it off'.

SIGHER
SIGHER 12/27/08 - 10:10 am
On a more serious note, I DO

On a more serious note, I DO hope the 15yo and 5yo are ok.. No info on the 5yo that had surgery.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 12/27/08 - 10:20 am
Is this going to happen after

Is this going to happen after every shooting? Some azz hole is going to come up and say " where is Al Sharpton, the New Black Panthers or the NAACP"? You all are some ignorant people. Just cannot wait to start some crap at 4:30 AM.

Debster
Debster 12/27/08 - 11:36 am
If your 5-year-old were in

If your 5-year-old were in harm's way, wouldn't you want officers to do whatever necessary to protect him/her? I don't know about you, but my children mean the world to me and I'd lay my life on the line to protect them. I'm glad the officer in this case did the same and protected this little boy from harm. I don't think this is a black/white case and I seriously hope that we don't exaggerate every police shooting in the Augusta area. These officers are risking their lives to protect ours. The least we can do is give them a pat on the back for a job well done in this instance.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 12/27/08 - 11:44 am
Where is the National

Where is the National Organization for Women???

cajunnana2000
cajunnana2000 12/27/08 - 12:01 pm
To UGA- I'm sure if they had

To UGA- I'm sure if they had just purchased a home for $ l67.000 home, they can afford insurance, and being that they both defended or country, they have a right to medical care.

To ICAUSETHAT= You are messy too, conflicts happen between all sexes-man-woman,man,man,woman,woman. Dont show how stupid you are.

I read the comments all the time and it amazes me how some folks, black,white,green,red or yelly always show how stupid they are.

Dark Lord
Dark Lord 12/27/08 - 12:01 pm
I hope all involved in this

I hope all involved in this incident are ok. The childred will have to live with this crazy, tragic memory forever. The emotional scars will last a lifetime. As far as the police goes. Great Job in saving that child.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/27/08 - 12:13 pm
I can understand rage over a

I can understand rage over a relationship breaking up, but you simply don't resort to violence when things don't go your way. No matter how much you might want to. That is what is SUPPOSED to separate us from animals. I hate that that woman put the police in a position where they had to shoot her to save the boy's life, because of her selfishness.

cparker
cparker 12/27/08 - 12:34 pm
I am glad he shot her, but I

I am glad he shot her, but I am also glad he didn't kill her. Although, the child's life was saved in this incident, I am grateful to God the officer was able to shoot her and everyone is still alive...

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/27/08 - 01:07 pm
My prayers for the child to

My prayers for the child to recover ok, not just physically but emotionally too as I know this was horrifying and traumatic. God Bless his little soul. As for that crazy B, keep her locked up for good. theres other ways to deal with a break up than attempting to kill a child and traumatizing that poor baby that way!!!!!!

Colfjsmlth
Colfjsmlth 12/27/08 - 01:07 pm
swat team did the right thing

swat team did the right thing she asked for it and she was just lucky!

APiratesLife4Me
APiratesLife4Me 12/27/08 - 01:36 pm
I hope Officer WHite gets a

I hope Officer WHite gets a medal for these situations he has ended. I know if I was in a bad situation, I would feel good knowing he was on the force. Good job.............! We need more like him.

happythoughts
happythoughts 12/27/08 - 01:47 pm
sick!!!!

sick!!!!

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 12/27/08 - 01:59 pm

Thank you, Officer White for doing your job abd doing it well. God bless you, your family and everyone else that puts it "on the line" for us everyday.

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/27/08 - 02:08 pm
I guess some people see true

I guess some people see true love as holding a knife to your child's throat. Wow, what a parent and partner huh. The officer should have shot her between the eyes-it would have caused less damage because she lacks a brain.

pingputt
pingputt 12/27/08 - 03:51 pm
Hell hath no fury like a

Hell hath no fury like a couple of jealous lesbos. Don't ask, don't tell.

SIGHER
SIGHER 12/27/08 - 04:40 pm
Hey, Hey, Hey!!!! I got a

Hey, Hey, Hey!!!! I got a post removed!!! My very first!! Wahoooooooooo!!!

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/27/08 - 04:45 pm
That's the don't [filtered word], don't

That's the don't [filtered word], don't tail policy pingputt. Get your facts straight-hey no pun intended. hee,hee,hee.

nlewis89
nlewis89 12/27/08 - 04:56 pm
I am so sick and tired of

I am so sick and tired of people leaving stupid comments. That is my cousin her son. You people don't know what you are talking about. So stop will the bull crap. It makes me sick to my stomach to see people leave inappropriate comments. How would you feel if it was your family? Ms. Reid was crazy and couldn't face reality. That was not her son that is why she didn't give a damn about putting a knife to his throat, They should have killed her for what she did. My little cousin 5 years old dealing with this mess and on CHRISTMAS, and then you people have the NERVE to say whatever it you want and think it's ok like you know them, and then to the publisher who wants to snoop in their business. Go find something else to write about. They are going through enough as it is. But of course you wouldn't understand or you don't care because it is your JOB. Oh and people get your facts straight because the only person swinging knives was Ms. Reid so don't try to make my cousin the bad person because she isn't she has one of the biggest hearts.

icanusethat
icanusethat 12/27/08 - 05:03 pm
hey the cops who killed

hey the cops who killed elmore should've been there and gun her down lol why did'nt they kill her?

4menmine
4menmine 12/27/08 - 05:33 pm
I can't understand how the

I can't understand how the side of town this woman bought her home in is an issue...if they are military then 9 times out of 10 they probably are not even from Augusta...so county has no bearings....the media did word these articles in such a way to make the county an issue

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 12/27/08 - 05:38 pm
Where is willistontownscs'

Where is willistontownscs' outrage, another liberated woman gunned down for defending her turf, never mind that she's psycho, she lost her assets!

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/27/08 - 05:46 pm
Perhaps this story is about

Perhaps this story is about Willis. The ignorant psycho part fits to the T.

Group demands hearing on commissioner appointment

City leaders appeared to warm to a request Monday by the West Augusta Alliance to hold one or more public hearings before appointing an interim District 7 commissioner to serve until Donnie ...