Shooting is lesson to stop for police

In reference to the letter "Editorial was divisive, presumptuous" by Linda Gregory (Dec. 22), I'd like to ask Ms. Gregory a couple of questions.

If her children were playing in the yard and Justin Elmore, while fleeing from the officers, veered off the road and ran them over, would she still think the officers should have just "jumped or ran out of his way" and let him go?

What if, in the ensuing chase, he crashed into a family and killed them? Would she still believe it is a good idea to let this career criminal, with a history of fleeing from the police, just go? Or would she prefer the police just let all criminals run away and never be caught or punished for their crimes?

The officer who fired on Elmore was on foot. He was walking toward Elmore's car. He did not have the protection of his squad car around him. After seeing Elmore ramming another officer's car and steering toward him, he had no doubt Elmore would have no problem running him over. He was faced with a 3,500-pound weapon aimed directly at him, and he did what he had to do to stop the threat.

It is always tragic when someone loses their life, but police officers put their lives on the line for us every single time they go to work. Sometimes they have to make split-second, life-and-death decisions -- decisions none of us would ever want to make.

Elmore was not some innocent bystander gunned down; he was a career criminal trying to flee from police. He was wrong for not stopping. He was wrong for aiming his car at a police officer, and sadly he paid the ultimate price. Let this be a lesson to all of us: When the police say stop, stop !

Ginger Sitler

Augusta

laprince
laprince 12/27/08 - 11:14 am
Hey LBenedict that

Hey LBenedict that scripture..Romans:13 was right on time....Amen to that. That's what the word says...

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/27/08 - 11:27 am
I saw a video yesterday of a

I saw a video yesterday of a white woman who slowed down to 10 miles per hour under the speed limit for officers and did what many women have been advised to do, continued with flashers on until she found a safe, public, well-lit place to stop for the police. She was ordered out of the car by a white officer and two other officers, hand-cuffed immediately, hands behind her back and charged with something like trying to elude the police as well as the speeding ticket. They ended up dropping that first one later, but she was definitely traumatized. She said that, considering there were reports in nearby towns of people impersonating officers pulling over women and attacking them, she would do the same thing again, despite the treatment she got. When I pulled over for an officer on Bobby Jones several years ago, I did the same thing, slowed down, put on my flashers to acknowledge I had noticed the officer & pulled off at the first exit so that I could stop safely without impeding traffic. I told him I didn't know why I was speeding, I wasn't even late for my OBGyn's funeral, & I actually thanked him for stopping me from speeding because my mind had simply wandered, the dr.....

Safe at Home
Safe at Home 12/27/08 - 11:28 am
Sorry owensjef2 forgot to

Sorry owensjef2 forgot to use the correct word...can only use "African American" so from now on when refering to white people us the word "caucasian" don't want to hurt anyones feelings.... or should whites be Caucasian American....European American....Anglo Saxon American??? Or maybe just American???? you decide since you are so hurt by Black.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/27/08 - 11:30 am
was mine for all my

was mine for all my pregnancies and two deliveries, one of which was twins. He said he knew the doctor well, was very understanding and gave me a warning instead of a ticket. Now, if I do the same procedure again, have things changed, do I have to stop immediately on the highway? So I don't suffer the same fate as that young lady in the incident I described above?

Ken
Ken 12/27/08 - 01:00 pm
Rule number one; don't sell

Rule number one; don't sell drugs. Rule number 2; don't drive over the police. His death is probably a good thing for Augusta; One less drug dealer and one less cop killer wanna-be. Lucky no innocent bystanders were hurt or killed, but he didn't care about anything but saving his own

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 12/27/08 - 01:23 pm
Rebecca Key was white and she

Rebecca Key was white and she was shot by the police in 2004 for barricading herself in her house and refusing orders by the police to surrender peacefully. Color doesn't matter though. If you are confronted by a officer with his gun drawn it would be wise to follow his directions. Anyone that cannot see that is so blinded by racial hate that they never will.

KSL
KSL 12/27/08 - 01:37 pm
Attempts to make this

Attempts to make this incident into a racial one are pathetic.

owensjef2
owensjef2 12/27/08 - 01:50 pm
The facts will come out pofwe

The facts will come out pofwe

corgimom
corgimom 12/27/08 - 02:51 pm
justus makes everything into

justus makes everything into a racial incident, and don't confuse him with the truth

mable8
mable8 12/27/08 - 03:30 pm
icanusethat: quit your

icanusethat: quit your rumormongering, there were no children in Elmore's car; therefore, no child was shot. quit using Elmore as a hero--he wasn't worth a toot in the first place. justus: your bigotry is showing--put a lid on it!

LBenedict
LBenedict 12/27/08 - 03:40 pm
We all know the life that

We all know the life that Elmore chose for himself, and he probably got what he had to expect would happen sooner or later. That said, and I am not making excuses or sugar coating anything, but just remember that he has a family he left behind who must deal with all of this, and, may Justin's associates learn something from this.

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/27/08 - 03:54 pm
Funny how all the

Funny how all the misinformation spreads about Elmo having kids in his car. When the Cherry Tree Riot took place with 500 hundred protestors burning cars, homes, cats, and lord forbid dogs. They used their children as human shields to sway the National Guard. It was like Kent state before it was over with over fifty dead. Amazin how that tid bit didn't make it to the public knowledge too. ROFLMAO! Elmo was also a pastor and counselor using cheap illicit drugs therapeutically to help disturbed children in his neighborhood-like medicinal pot, etc. hee,hee,hee. It's all about the spin tisit My Momma said I shoulda been a lawyer.

icanusethat
icanusethat 12/27/08 - 04:01 pm
mable8 you are a lie these

mable8 you are a lie these people keep saying there was a child in this suv.why would they lie? you know the reason why mr boss man wont say how many rounds where fired because they gun him down with over 30 rounds and it was more then just those 2 cops shooting.i don't care about you klan people here i hope obama do away with the whole police force they are worthless and crooket

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/27/08 - 04:06 pm
Right he lived how many days

Right he lived how many days with thirty bullets in him. They lie because they are racist who hate whitey and the police. Spread misinformation to stir up trouble. You follow like the sheep you are AND admit you hate the police. Not nice!!!! I bet you feel you don't have to obey the white man's law don't you. You're above it all. Only people who break the law dislike the police so I conclude you are criminal or at least dishonest and unethical.

dani
dani 12/27/08 - 04:09 pm
ican..Obama doesn't have and

ican..Obama doesn't have and will never have the power to abolish the police force. That is NOT a part of presidential powers. And anyhow, what gives you the idea that he is on the side of blacks ? I find him much more subservient to white folks. He certainly wouldn't put himself on the level with the radical segment of Augusta's population.

4menmine
4menmine 12/27/08 - 04:26 pm
If Mr. Elmore is a career

If Mr. Elmore is a career criminal then that would mean that he has been incarcerated several times...correct?? Isn't incarceration supposed to be rehabilitation?? Obviously the system is failing us on both ends if its not producing rehabilitated ex-cons and they end up getting killed by the arresting side of the system...maybe our judicial system needs to be re-vamped...OBAMA time for change!!!

Waymore
Waymore 12/27/08 - 04:31 pm
What does "crooket" mean?

What does "crooket" mean?

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/27/08 - 04:34 pm
ROFLMAO!!!! Good one Waymore.

ROFLMAO!!!! Good one Waymore. I attended the Dale Carnegie Speed Ebonics course so I can interpret if the need be. Crooket like a Crooket Dick which translates to an Unethical Detective.

4menmine
4menmine 12/27/08 - 04:35 pm
crooked...I suppose...I'm

crooked...I suppose...I'm sure you know how to figure out typo's if you have ever taken an English class...we all make mistakes don't be so self-righteous

4menmine
4menmine 12/27/08 - 04:40 pm
Oh yeah by the way the other

Oh yeah by the way the other responding officer was BLACK omg did ya'll know that...stop with the race issues...it's about a failing judicial system that goes far beyond the patrol men

Waymore
Waymore 12/27/08 - 04:53 pm
Not being self-righteous,

Not being self-righteous, just pointing out that the poster is a lying moron. No more, no less. He/she is lying and trying to incite more turmoil.

Waymore
Waymore 12/27/08 - 04:57 pm
Actually 4menmine, it goes

Actually 4menmine, it goes beyond a failing judicial system. It's a cultural system that has broken down.

alf
alf 12/27/08 - 05:17 pm
This may help some of you

This may help some of you out.....I know it helps me.

4menmine
4menmine 12/27/08 - 05:17 pm
The cultural system that has

The cultural system that has been broken down....can't be that it's been broken for many many years...I'm definitely going to have to stick with the failing judicial system above the cultural angle you are suggesting Waymore.

Waymore
Waymore 12/27/08 - 05:25 pm
You can't rehabilitate people

You can't rehabilitate people who have learned that it is ok to take what they want. There is a whole culture who thinks it's ok to be disrespectful and rude. A culture that wants everything right now and lives only for the moment. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot force it to drink. The biggest breakdown in the judicial system is that there is no truth in sentencing. There are plenty of job skills and people skills that are taught in prison. Criminals, more often than not, will always choose the "easy" way.

Pu239
Pu239 12/27/08 - 06:12 pm
hes grmmr en speelin mejks it

hes grmmr en speelin mejks it berry hart to anny lies hes rightn fer cumprehnshun n chit

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/27/08 - 08:27 pm
Pu239, you sure know how to

Pu239, you sure know how to shut down a thread. wink.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 12/27/08 - 08:50 pm
4menmine, Obama has nothing

4menmine, Obama has nothing to do with this, and certain ex-cons are not rehabilitated because they don't want to change. Maybe the judicial system needs to change and give much harsher sentences from the start instead of the "first offender" baloney. Also, if you are sentenced to time, you should serve at least 50 to 75% of the time, no less.

4menmine
4menmine 12/27/08 - 09:31 pm
I never gave a platform of

I never gave a platform of the type of changes I feel need to be made to the judicial system so you MAY be preaching to the choir COALminerpa...And Obama has everything to do with it because he is soon to be our CIC and as I stated it is time for a change.

4menmine
4menmine 12/27/08 - 09:40 pm
I don't think ICANUSETHAT was

I don't think ICANUSETHAT was saying that he lived with 30 rounds in him...I think the comment just states there were over 30 rounds shot....but just not to sound bias...if a SUV was coming at anyone of you, and you had a loaded gun, besides trying to get out of harms way would you not also do everything in your power to try and stop it?? I can almost guarantee it wouldn't matter to you who was driving the vehicle, black or white, male or female. I wasn't there to know exactly what happened but once the video is made public then we can make our judgement of what we would've have done if we were staring down a vehicle coming at us. Of course, my heart goes out to Mr. Elmore's loved ones, no one deserves to be killed, habitual offender or saint, alike.

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.