Residents' anger boils at police

Supporters of Justin Elmore say it doesn't matter if he has a lengthy criminal record or what he might have done to provoke sheriff's deputies Sunday -- they still had no right to shoot him.

"They gonna kill everybody with a record?" said Sha'keela McNair, 22, who identified herself as Mr. Elmore's girlfriend. "They shot him for nothing. He didn't have no gun."

After an accidental fire broke out at an apartment and once again drew police and fire trucks into the housing project Monday, angry residents of Cherry Tree Crossing and surrounding neighborhoods gathered at the place where Mr. Elmore's SUV came to a stop near 15th Street and Carver Drive. It wasn't far from where a throng of people had hurled bottles and rocks at police cars in the hours after the shooting.

"This ain't nothing," Cruz Sharpton, 22, said of the bedlam. "It's just beginning."

It was a sentiment echoed by several people.

They said they don't trust the police, and they're fed up with what they perceive as harassment, racial profiling and a cavalier attitude toward the poor and powerless.

"You've got to figure, these people are close," said Frank Thomas, the executive director of the Augusta-Richmond County Human Relations Commission. "That's their area. Sometimes they don't trust the police, and the police have their job to do."

Friends of Mr. Elmore said he goes by Jed, is a construction worker and has three children -- a 2-year-old daughter and two sons, ages 1 and 6 months.

Ms. McNair said he was shot in his head and chest, and his mother is keeping vigil at Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

"I put (the police) at fault for everything that happened," said Ashley Brown, 22, who lives in an apartment near the spot where police cars boxed in Mr. Elmore's SUV on Sunday before the shooting erupted. "They should have done the pursuit better than that."

A few doors down, Tavares Green is still furious, too.

During the shooting, two bullets went into his girlfriend's apartment, whizzing within inches of his 8-month-old son and 8-year-old daughter.

Mr. Green showed a reporter the bullet holes in a glass window and a wood front door, and where they lodged in a Sheetrock wall and hit a stereo speaker.

"They could have shot her in the back," said Mr. Green, a city employee in the roads and bridges division. "My little boy's head could have been bust open."

Mr. Thomas said he was unsure what position the Human Relations Commission will take on the matter.

The city cut the commission from next year's budget, and he's working to close all pending cases so the office can be shut down by the end of February.

Otherwise, he would be involved, Mr. Thomas said, helping to "sift through the smoke" and find out whether police overstepped their bounds.

After the 1998 killing of Alfaigo Davis, a similar incident in which police shot a man they said was trying to run them over, Mr. Thomas called for a police review board, which was rejected by Sheriff Charlie Webster. The two officers were later cleared of any wrongdoing.

Had the review board not been rejected, it might have built up credibility by now and could come in handy, Mr. Thomas said.

"People become emotional when things like that happen," he said. "Maybe they need some help. Maybe they need some kind of counseling."

Reach Johnny Edwards at (706) 823-3225 or johnny.edwards@augustachronicle.com.

CHERRY TREE CROSSING

With 389 apartments and 1,018 residents, Cherry Tree Crossing is the city's largest public housing project, one of 13 federally funded developments providing affordable housing to low-income families and elderly residents. The average household income in Cherry Tree Crossing is $7,917. Apartments there range from one to five bedrooms.

Cherry Tree was formed through the merging of two developments, Sunset Homes and Sunset Homes Extension, constructed in 1940 and 1952. After renovations in the early 1990s, the two parts were renamed Cherry Tree Crossing and Cherry Tree Crossing Extension. They were merged into a single project last year.

The section along Carver Drive, where the shooting occurred Sunday, is part of the newer section constructed in 1952.

For about $600,000 per year, the Augusta Housing Authority contracts with the Richmond County Sheriff's Office to provide 15 extra deputies to patrol housing projects.

The deputies involved in the shooting were part of "housing patrol."

BREAKDOWN OF CHERRY TREE RESIDENTS BY AGE

0-6 years old 301

7-18 years old 302

19 and older 415

BREAKDOWN OF RESIDENTS BY RACE

Black 1,006

White 11

Other 1

Source: Augusta Housing Authority Director of Resident Services Buddy Oldfield

RELATED STORIES

- Sheriff defends deputies

- Residents' anger boils at police

- Shooting recalls 1998 case

PREVIOUS STORIES

- Shooting triggers chaos

- Deputies use caution

HippieChick
HippieChick 12/16/08 - 04:34 pm
InChrustwelove explain how it

InChrustwelove explain how it is that he has a 2 year old daughter too. Your math does not add up considering he has 3 childern 2years old & under. Yes it takes 9 months to produce a baby and another couple of months to recover from it. I also don't understand the logic behind let's throw stuff at people who they say will shoot your azz dead for nothing and throwing stuff at the firemen there to put out the fires or at the reports there to report the news. You lil gang bangers can have Cherry Tree I hope you choke on it. As far as there is more coming threat I say bring it on you'll regert biting the hand that feeds you.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/16/08 - 04:37 pm
As far as Bush giving away

As far as Bush giving away $700 billion, I remember Obama suspended his campaign to rush to DC for that very purpose, and Democratic senators and appointees are in control of who gets it!!

tryingtogetoutofevans
tryingtogetoutofevans 12/16/08 - 04:37 pm
Sneakypete sorry to break it

Sneakypete sorry to break it to you. But this has happen in several white neighborhoods before. Remember when the boston red sox won their first world series. Stores were looted, cars, dumpsters, and everything else was set on fire. A 21 year old girl was even shot in the head.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/16/08 - 04:39 pm
blackmale CEO I worked for

blackmale CEO I worked for RCSO for several years and know the overall problem there as well as working in private industry where we were shot at while working there. Yes I know the area and problem very well. Do YOU?

tryingtogetoutofevans
tryingtogetoutofevans 12/16/08 - 04:41 pm
Sneakypete [filtered word] are you

Sneakypete [filtered word] are you talking about. Their isn't a black controlled goverment anywhere in the united states. You better believed somewhere a white man has he's hands in it.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/16/08 - 04:43 pm
What about Chicago CEO?

What about Chicago CEO?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/16/08 - 04:44 pm
I can't hear you!!

I can't hear you!!

tryingtogetoutofevans
tryingtogetoutofevans 12/16/08 - 04:45 pm
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts yes i

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts yes i know the area very well too. And im sure if a crime is commited in that area. You better believe somebody is going to snitch afterwhile. Especially one of the older women who live there.

Signal Always
Signal Always 12/16/08 - 04:46 pm
Jackson, Ms., Memphis, Tn.,

Jackson, Ms., Memphis, Tn., Detroit, Mi., Gary, In., New Orleans, La., ALL controlled by black Democrats. ....with the "Democrat" part being the problem.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/16/08 - 04:47 pm
That's funny, they never

That's funny, they never snitched about the 5 bullet holes in our truck! They never told us when someone was around or where to find them when we were looking for them on warrants! It's a nice theory though!

tryingtogetoutofevans
tryingtogetoutofevans 12/16/08 - 04:50 pm
ColdBeerboiledpeanuts the

ColdBeerboiledpeanuts the white man in CHICAGO who had his hand somewhere in the pot. Was named Richard daley. And there are white people who work for chicago's goverment. Its not one city in the U.S where the goverment is all black. Atlanta, New york, LA, Chicago, DC, not one city. I think sneakpete needs to ask himself how are the white controlled goverments in west virginia doing? That little state has the poorest county in the U.S and one of highest dropout rate for one county in america.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/16/08 - 04:52 pm
Yeah, but they don't have the

Yeah, but they don't have the crime rates, just check the FBI numbers. Oh, and by the way, there wasn't a white man involved in that shooting the other evening!

tryingtogetoutofevans
tryingtogetoutofevans 12/16/08 - 04:53 pm
Signal always why do all

Signal always why do all those cities have white democrats working for them then. There are cities in west virignia, idaho, ga, sc, penn, ohio, tx, and other states. Where not one black person works for the goverment. Or one miniority at all.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/16/08 - 04:54 pm
CEO when you stop blaming

CEO when you stop blaming someone who is different from you and accept responsibility for everything good and bad that comes to you, you'll start being successful. Your posts already show that you blame a white man for anything adverse that befalls you!

gamc30909
gamc30909 12/16/08 - 04:58 pm
Everyone in that project are

Everyone in that project are damn fools. The fight with even the ones that come to help such as EMTS and Firefighters. I say let if burn and hope every damn idiot in the project is cremated.

tryingtogetoutofevans
tryingtogetoutofevans 12/16/08 - 04:59 pm
coldbeerboildpeanuts i love

coldbeerboildpeanuts i love white people and all people. I was just replying to sneakypete's comments about black controlled goverments. I need to ask him why do white people flock to Egypt and Jamaica every year to spend thier vacation time. How many people white or any race are trying to move to countries overseas like Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania, Slovenia, & Hungary.

tryingtogetoutofevans
tryingtogetoutofevans 12/16/08 - 05:04 pm
Coldbeerboiledpeanuts what

Coldbeerboiledpeanuts what are you talking about. Im not blaming anybody for anything. I was just responding to the dumb comment made by sneakypete. Their are no all black controlled goverments in the united states. You can best believe that a white person male or female is working for that city goverment also. Im in my early 20's and have graduated from college. I have my own small business so Im kinda already successful sorry to dissapoint you. And since Im still young that means i actually have friends of all races. Unlike you older people on this site. I have hired 2 white women, and a white male. So i can't be that bad right. I only have 12 employees.

ripjones
ripjones 12/16/08 - 05:11 pm
BlackmaleCEO - I have no

BlackmaleCEO - I have no problem providing charity to anyone. BUT, I expect them to be thankful, and I expect them to take care of what is charitably given. I also DO NOT expect them to continue to consume charity for generations. And my liberal friends are going to get me for this one -- if you are on someone else's dime, I also expect birth control, until you are able to provide for the family. The government should not be expected to continue to provide, and you continue to procreate on their dime.

MJ
MJ 12/16/08 - 05:14 pm
I'm so glad that it wasn't

I'm so glad that it wasn't two white cops that stopped this man. If so it would have been perceived as a racial issue instead of what it actually was. The moment Elmore decided to ram police vehicles with his SUV and drive towards the officer in front of his vehicle, that's deadly force and the officers were doing what's right. I guess the narrow-minded residents of Cherry Creek would rather have one or two Deputies not defend themselves and end up dead because this idiot decided to run them over.

Signal Always
Signal Always 12/16/08 - 05:24 pm
Having white people "work"

Having white people "work" for the government does NOT mean the government isn't controlled by black people, CEO. Jackson is black-controlled, New Orleans is black-controlled. Gary, In. is black-controlled. Detroit, MI is black-controlled. However, it's not the color of the person in control, it's the ideology followed and the political mindset of the individual. All of those cities are controlled by liberals. Liberals can't run a damn thing because when you're elected based on what you promise to give someone, and promise to take care of those individuals, the sense of pride is severely damaged. When you're living only at the behest of another, you have no pride. Liberalism.

me too
me too 12/16/08 - 05:45 pm
You could say that Baltimore

You could say that Baltimore City is basically a black run town. Sheila Dixon is Mayor, and she is a black woman. That city is a war zone, unless you go to the Inner Harbor, where the tourist dollars are and the police are out in droves - you take your life in your hands. BUT, it was like that before when Martin O'Malley (now the Governor of MD) was Mayor. It amazes me that he was voted as Governor of the state when he couldn't handle the city's issues. Each year their goal was to keep the murder rate under 300. Can you believe that? I guess he was the Democrat of choice this time around, never mind that his track record sucked.

me too
me too 12/16/08 - 05:52 pm
BlackmaleCEO, congratulations

BlackmaleCEO, congratulations on your early success. It's good to hear some positive news. However, I would like to ask you one thing. Please don't judge me or anyone else because we're older than you. I can't speak for all, but I can speak for myself. I have relationships with all walks of society; rich, poor, middle of the road. I know former felons who have changed their lives and are good people. They took the hard road to get there, but saw the error of their ways and made the change. I have friends and family of just about every nationality and race, and I love them all. I don't care what the color of someone's skin is. Right is right, wrong is wrong and you have to take responsibility for your actions in the end. From a 40-something old lady.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 12/16/08 - 06:06 pm
These are the kind of dopey

These are the kind of dopey alcoholic people that the government and non profit give a ways keeps proped up. Too many crack heads and alcoholics are being enabled by non profit charaties. support www.hongkongaugustaga.org

augusta9696
augusta9696 12/16/08 - 06:07 pm
The status of Mr. Elmore

The status of Mr. Elmore health, is going to determine the show down on the streets in sunset. I think them cops were wrong as two left shoes to shoot this man. To use there weapons because this guy was trying to get away and the possibility of killing a child in that project, send chills down my back. Did Mr. Elmore kill anyone,rob anyone,rape anyone, any of Georgias deadly sins? NO he did noe. Why not waited until he was away from that project and then try to stop him. Them two clowns who shot this man needs to be working parking meters, not patroling are protecting anybody. Pick me for the jury so i can reward his kids and family with a few millions and then we will be even. That powder keg is going to explode over there. Pray that he dont die.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 12/16/08 - 06:15 pm
Please review this article

Please review this article and pass it on. We can get the message accross and create better neighborhoods: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/memphis-crime

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 12/16/08 - 06:19 pm
augusta9696 What do you

augusta9696

What do you think after you read this article ?

corgimom
corgimom 12/16/08 - 06:40 pm
"Did Mr. Elmore kill anyone"-

"Did Mr. Elmore kill anyone"- well, it certainly wasn't because he didn't try. I know that if the police stop me, and I ram a police car and speed off, they will try to shoot me. By the way, augusta9696, do you own a vehicle? If you do, it's ok if someone steals it from you, right?

sueboo418
sueboo418 12/16/08 - 06:42 pm
Augusta 9696 you are an

Augusta 9696 you are an idiot!!! Yeah let him get out on the street and have a race trying to catch him and kill innocent people on the street. He assaulted them with a deadly weapon which was the SUV he was driving and they did what they had to do to protect themselves. And now our tax dollars are hard at work paying all of this piece of crap's medical bills. Like I said earlier, if he had nothing to hide then he had no reason to try and elude them. So if anyone is to blame for all of this it is NOT the cops it is Elmore laying up there with our tax dollars footing the bill!!!!!

me too
me too 12/16/08 - 06:47 pm
Agusuta9696, your statement

Agusuta9696, your statement that Mr. Elmore's health will determine the "show down on the streets" sent chills down my spine. If that is the criminal and mob mentality of the people in Cherry Tree, a wall needs to be put around that place and let the residents do as they will. You asked, "did he kill anyone, rob anyone, rape anyone..." Yes, he robbed someone, the person he stole the vehicle from, lest you forget that he was driving a STOLEN vehicle, and tried to use that same vehicle to hit and possibly KILL the police officers giving chase. If Mr. Elmore dies, it is his own fault. His family doesn't deserve a reward because he was a criminal and got caught.

me too
me too 12/16/08 - 06:49 pm
Oh, and he could easily have

Oh, and he could easily have three children aged 2 years, 1 year and 6 months. They may have all different mothers, or there may be two mothers, or as other posters have written, the children may be 9 months apart. Many variables to that query.

Morning wreck slows traffic

Expect delays at Peach Orchard Road near Bobby Jones Expressway after a wreck involving an 18-wheeler.