Yes, let's set aside day for Indians

In response to the letter by Adelheid Waters ("Why not honor Indians every year?" Dec. 4) concerning American Indians:

I agree they need a day dedicated to them. After all, the land belonged to them before the whites came.

In many cases, they were slaughtered as animals. At one time, they were not allowed to own land that was theirs before the white men came.

I have Indian blood in my veins, and as Adelheid Waters stated in the letter to the editor, a day should be set aside to honor the American Indians.

I'm proud to be an American; I love my country, and also the American Indians.

The Rev. Marion L. Jay

Augusta

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/16/08 - 06:22 am
And let's set aside a day to

And let's set aside a day to honor the people the Indians took the land from. They were often slaughtered as animals and they weren't allowed to own land that was theirs before the Indians came. In fact, why not just have a "Conquered Day" to cover all people that never formed a society that could defend itself and was displaced by another society. Or maybe we could just have a "Losers Day" for all of the people that didn't get to be the winner.

disssman
disssman 12/16/08 - 08:14 am
I think we ought to honor old

I think we ought to honor old fred jones too, he used to own the property down the street until they took it for taxes. I would only ask who the Indians took the property from? I have an idea lets just have a "set aside day for everbody" That way no one is special and we could honor everone in the world.

Signal Always
Signal Always 12/16/08 - 08:35 am
They took land and

They took land and slaughtered one another, on a consistent basis. They aren't "Indians". That name was give to them by the white man. They were Pawnee, Cherokee, Apache, Comanche, Iroquois, etc., etc., etc., and they viewed themselves as different from each other as any other race. Even the so-called "civilized" native nations had violent histories. You guys act as if the indigenous peoples in this land were all rainbows and lollipops. That was not the case. ...but I'll help ya out on getting 'ole Fred recognized. GO FRED!

Talkatoast
Talkatoast 12/16/08 - 08:35 am
And we don't we set aside

And we don't we set aside other days for every race out there? Frankly, white went through hell, too. It wasn't just Indians and black people who were in slavery. Whites dealt with slavery as well. And why not set aside a day for Jews? They went through worse hell than the Indians or blacks could have ever imagined. Really, we need to stop setting aside days for races and just celebrate the human race in general. Having these seperate days widens the race gap.

Talkatoast
Talkatoast 12/16/08 - 08:37 am
I have some Cherokee blood in

I have some Cherokee blood in me as well, which I am proud of, but really now.

Signal Always
Signal Always 12/16/08 - 09:13 am
When do we get a Dwarf Day?

When do we get a Dwarf Day?

shamrock
shamrock 12/16/08 - 10:21 am
I guess no one was aware that

I guess no one was aware that November is National American Indian Heritage Month??

Signal Always
Signal Always 12/16/08 - 10:26 am
...or no one really gives a

...or no one really gives a rat's >>>.

Gummy
Gummy 12/16/08 - 12:52 pm
I say we all go to the

I say we all go to the reservations and go gambling. At least we can support them financially.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 12/16/08 - 02:34 pm
National American Indian

National American Indian Heritage Month? Does this mean we get to ride around on horses half naked and drink liquor at the local casino?

jack
jack 12/16/08 - 02:52 pm
SignalAlways, I suppost

SignalAlways, I suppost European whites don't have a history of violence and conquering of one type culture over another. Seems that throughout the Erurpean history I studied, it was war and more war. The native Americans lived in various societies called tribes and did differ from one another in some ways, but not many. Actually, they were more "civilized" than the white man has ever been. If a Native American gave his word, he kept it. If a guest in his village, you were not bothered. Can't say that about the white man that not only slaughtered them, drove them off their lands, but broke every treaty ever entered into with them. Andrew Jackson should rot in hell for the trail of tears where the fie tribes almost died out of desease and exposure while being force to move to "indian Territory) (Oklahoma) that was much like the Nazi trains to the concentration camps.

Signal Always
Signal Always 12/16/08 - 03:06 pm
Jack, my statement didn't

Jack, my statement didn't absolve any one group of people of any wrongdoing. ALL were violent.

steve-o
steve-o 12/16/08 - 04:58 pm
When the indians win the

When the indians win the world series, the people of Cleveland will surely set aside a day for them.

KingJames
KingJames 12/16/08 - 04:59 pm
The days, weeks, and months

The days, weeks, and months set aside for certain ethinic groups are not to make the rest of the world feel sorry for them. They are so that the rest of the world can maybe take it upon themselves to learn more about the celebrated group. For the most part, all most people know about Native Americans is that they existed, and were pushed out by whites. Not much is known about their culture. The importance is not that they are losers as PatT claims, but that they add educational and atristic value to the culture of America itself. If not for the multi-cultural months celebrated in this country, some would never learn about any culture other than what they see in their immediate areas. I suppose learning French, or studying Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet shouldn't be allowed either since they are all losers. (The French almost always lose in war, and the teens lost in the game of love when they both committed suicide.) I know that's ridiculous, but so are the negative comments.

Signal Always
Signal Always 12/16/08 - 06:07 pm
Yeah, setting a day aside to

Yeah, setting a day aside to learn about another culture. Uh Huh. You're living in dreamland. There's not one holiday that people use to learn about another culture. It's about a day off and BBQs. That's pretty much race-neutral.