Shooting triggers chaos

People hurled rocks and bottles at Richmond County sheriff's deputies Sunday after word spread that police had shot a fleeing suspect near the Cherry Tree Crossing housing project off 15th Street.

Many in the loud, angry crowd of perhaps 200 people said the suspect had been killed, but a Richmond County coroner said at 11:30 p.m. that his office had not been notified.

Augusta Commissioner Corey Johnson, whose district includes the housing project, said he had been told the man was hospitalized in critical condition. Officials would not confirm his name or identify the hospital.

"They don't think he's gonna make it," Mr. Johnson said.

Extra deputies were called in to handle crowd control, and gunfire was heard at the scene after nightfall.

"That's not the answer," Mr. Johnson said. "The riot is not the answer. It's not gonna help get to the bottom of the situation."

Several fires were set in large trash bins around the community, and fire department officials advised their units to leave them alone to burn out.

Sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles said the incident on Carver Drive near the 15th Street intersection began at 4:21 p.m. and involved two sheriff's officers. He said the Georgia Bureau of Investigation had taken over the case, and he referred questions to the agency.

In an interview at the Sheriff's Office, GBI Agent Pat Morgan said early Sunday evening that he had reviewed the scene and was preparing to interview witnesses.

"This is my first time working a shooting in Richmond County like that," he said when asked about the crowd.

Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength is expected to hold a briefing today, Lt. Peebles said.

Mr. Johnson, the district's commissioner, said Sunday night that he was told the Sheriff's Office got a tip that a stolen black SUV was in the area, carrying drugs and guns. Police found the Chevrolet and boxed it in, parking one police car in front and one behind.

Mr. Johnson said he was told the driver tried to escape, backing into the car behind him and ramming the one in front. The driver was shot while apparently trying to ram the squad car in front, Mr. Johnson said.

After the shooting, witnesses said the suspect's car continued to go down the street, stopping when it ran into a gate near a tree.

Mr. Johnson said that when the driver made the choice to ram police cars, he turned his vehicle into a weapon, giving police justification to defend themselves.

"It's just an unfortunate situation," Mr. Johnson said. "I hate that a man got shot. I hate that it happened the way it did," he said.

Staff writers Adam Folk and Preston Sparks contributed to this story.

Reach Johnny Edwards and Michelle Guffey at (706) 724-0851.

cwbyup1980
cwbyup1980 12/15/08 - 09:15 pm
I wonder if the AC will do a

I wonder if the AC will do a "you were spotted" from the Cherry Tree Crossing project?

bailmeout2
bailmeout2 12/15/08 - 09:21 pm
cwbyup1980: cant stop

cwbyup1980: cant stop laughing

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 12/15/08 - 09:32 pm
RichmondCountyResident ..Did

RichmondCountyResident ..Did you read: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/memphis-crime

You must be a paranoid mess thinking that eveyone around you is a rasist. Get professional help.

spdermn78
spdermn78 12/15/08 - 09:33 pm
Leroy.. Well but bruah!!!!

Leroy.. Well but bruah!!!!

steve-o
steve-o 12/15/08 - 09:33 pm
Cherry tree golf course- has

Cherry tree golf course- has a nice ring to it doesn't it? all it would take is a buyout and a bulldozer.

steve-o
steve-o 12/15/08 - 09:36 pm
he called me a nutcase.

he called me a nutcase. nicest thing he's ever called anyone on here! Thanks richmondcountyracist!

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 12/15/08 - 09:41 pm
RichmondCountyResident Your

RichmondCountyResident Your thinking that Obama will help the project people makes no sense. THe projects in Chacago are as big of a mess as when Obama started his community outreach. Obama might cut some of this welfare out. I sincerely hope the he does. Firtile welfare queens are squeezing out problems every day. They play music at the University Hospital to signal new births. There are so many young welfair mothers they should play Luve Child by Diana Ross. hahahaha Their are too many non productive welfair people. It is a blight and a national discrace.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 12/15/08 - 09:43 pm
steve-o I love the name

steve-o I love the name Cherry Tree Golf Course. They could move the Cherry Tree residents to the Regency Mall building. They could have a town to themselves so that they would not offend decent law abiding people.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 12/15/08 - 10:00 pm
RichmondCountyResident ...Do

RichmondCountyResident ...Do you agree with the statement "Blacks who are decent do not sound black" If one sounds black it implies ignorant slurred garbled English. If one is born in the United States they should speak standard English. "Black talk" implies that the speaker is un educated and most likely of the marginal class.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 12/15/08 - 10:27 pm
Lord have mercy on

Lord have mercy on SargentMidTown, deliver his mind, sanctify him holy, in Jesus name.

KSL
KSL 12/15/08 - 10:37 pm
"Sounding black." Now that

"Sounding black." Now that for me is an interesting concept. Because when I was growing up, black people didn't really sound black. Yeah, they may have had certain idioms, but we all do. Why has the speaking of the English language become taboo for some people? You want a good job? Dress right, speak right, act right. Those are the rules of the game.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 12/15/08 - 10:39 pm
Sargent I agree with the

Sargent I agree with the saying, ACTIONS speak LOUDER than WORDS.

KSL
KSL 12/15/08 - 11:03 pm
My, you are right in that is

My, you are right in that is doesn't matter how the talk, it's how they act, except on the job. Some employers are real keen on how you talk.

nfigueroapr
nfigueroapr 12/15/08 - 11:03 pm
I will have to go to the side

I will have to go to the side of the deputies because they did the right thing, because if they tell you to stop you have to stop and that guy didnt to what he was told too and try to run him over i ont know about anyone else but i dont think i can sit there and think ohhh should i jump or maybe run backwards he problably did it out of instint to save his own life , its him or me ofcourse is going to be me , i support them 100 percent all the way you guys did the right thing. thANK God neither of them was white, then we would never hear the end of that.

taxedtodeath
taxedtodeath 12/15/08 - 11:12 pm
I hate this happened and I

I hate this happened and I feel for the families of the officers and all involved. I am glad those who always see these events as black and white issues instead of right and wrong do not have the opportunity to that in this case.

KSL
KSL 12/15/08 - 11:46 pm
They can, if enough good

They can, if enough good right thinking people support them and stop putting up with the junk.

Eaglewing
Eaglewing 12/16/08 - 01:44 am
It is a sad commentary on the

It is a sad commentary on the times when law and order is no longer tolerated by the citizens of the community. I to applaud the professionalism displayed by the RCSD. It is time that we as citzens take back the streets and nieghborhoods from those who terrorize and have us live in fear.

MrsD
MrsD 12/16/08 - 04:06 am
Here's an idea--If you don't

Here's an idea--If you don't like the cops? Well, next time YOU'RE in trouble, call a CRACKHEAD! I personally support our law enforcement 100%!!!

str8truth
str8truth 12/16/08 - 07:00 am
Bottom line is this, the

Bottom line is this, the suspect was a career criminal who was just at his place of employment. He was a street pharmacutical rep and his record prooves that. Based on his past, he has never had any regard for the law. Also Cory Johnson was exactly right in saying the vehicle was a weapon. And a very dangerous one at that. The only thing I hate is that us taxpayers will be paying the outrageous hospital bill for this thug.

MrsD
MrsD 12/16/08 - 07:35 am
str8truth-- I couldn't have

str8truth-- I couldn't have said it any better!

IncredibleGuy
IncredibleGuy 12/16/08 - 07:50 am
Another one bites the

Another one bites the dust....thank goodness.....

hossiv
hossiv 12/16/08 - 08:53 am
Its funny how Justus4 and

Its funny how Justus4 and others completely disappear once their RACE card turns out to be a huge bust!

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 12/16/08 - 11:32 am

Everyone hear it is: HOW TO NOT GET YOUR BUTT WHIPED!
BY: Chris Rock

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 12/16/08 - 11:49 am
Politicallync...funny...I

Politicallync...funny...I love Chris!

TROLLIN247
TROLLIN247 12/17/08 - 02:09 am
Thanks to our Officers,

Thanks to our Officers, Justice was served. Dopers and wannabe gangsters, heed the warning, You do the crime, You will pay the price.

truthBtold
truthBtold 12/18/08 - 10:59 am
I hate that this had to end

I hate that this had to end in a shooting and riots, I really do. My question is, what do those who have such strong anger feel should have been done to change the outcome? Should they have just continued to yell really loudly and then back off and let him go? If so, they wouldnt have been doing their job and citizens would have been upset about that. I feel that if there was no reason to run he wouldnt have ran, I also see it as a man in fear of being caught, for whatever reason, chose to cause damage to property and may have even harmed officers in the attempt at getting away. It has nothing to do with where he was or even who he is...he and Mr. Davis are not the only people in america who have been in this situation and rioting has never prooven to be the answer.

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 12/15/09 - 03:36 pm
crazy coloreds.

crazy coloreds.

Ex-superintendent to write of miraculous recovery

Taking his doctor's advice, former Richmond County school superintendent Frank Roberson has nearly finished writing a 150-page book about his remarkable recovery from brain trauma.