Shooting triggers chaos

People hurled rocks and bottles at Richmond County sheriff's deputies Sunday after word spread that police had shot a fleeing suspect near the Cherry Tree Crossing housing project off 15th Street.

Many in the loud, angry crowd of perhaps 200 people said the suspect had been killed, but a Richmond County coroner said at 11:30 p.m. that his office had not been notified.

Augusta Commissioner Corey Johnson, whose district includes the housing project, said he had been told the man was hospitalized in critical condition. Officials would not confirm his name or identify the hospital.

"They don't think he's gonna make it," Mr. Johnson said.

Extra deputies were called in to handle crowd control, and gunfire was heard at the scene after nightfall.

"That's not the answer," Mr. Johnson said. "The riot is not the answer. It's not gonna help get to the bottom of the situation."

Several fires were set in large trash bins around the community, and fire department officials advised their units to leave them alone to burn out.

Sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles said the incident on Carver Drive near the 15th Street intersection began at 4:21 p.m. and involved two sheriff's officers. He said the Georgia Bureau of Investigation had taken over the case, and he referred questions to the agency.

In an interview at the Sheriff's Office, GBI Agent Pat Morgan said early Sunday evening that he had reviewed the scene and was preparing to interview witnesses.

"This is my first time working a shooting in Richmond County like that," he said when asked about the crowd.

Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength is expected to hold a briefing today, Lt. Peebles said.

Mr. Johnson, the district's commissioner, said Sunday night that he was told the Sheriff's Office got a tip that a stolen black SUV was in the area, carrying drugs and guns. Police found the Chevrolet and boxed it in, parking one police car in front and one behind.

Mr. Johnson said he was told the driver tried to escape, backing into the car behind him and ramming the one in front. The driver was shot while apparently trying to ram the squad car in front, Mr. Johnson said.

After the shooting, witnesses said the suspect's car continued to go down the street, stopping when it ran into a gate near a tree.

Mr. Johnson said that when the driver made the choice to ram police cars, he turned his vehicle into a weapon, giving police justification to defend themselves.

"It's just an unfortunate situation," Mr. Johnson said. "I hate that a man got shot. I hate that it happened the way it did," he said.

Staff writers Adam Folk and Preston Sparks contributed to this story.

Reach Johnny Edwards and Michelle Guffey at (706) 724-0851.

jack
jack 12/15/08 - 12:34 pm
hisfaith and you you other

hisfaith and you you other yahoos dcomdemning the RCSD deputies WHO DID THEIR JOBS, had the person been innocent, then not doubt all he had to do was stop as the cops wanted, answere any questions and been on their way. That was NOT the case, and the perp tried to escape by ramming the cop cars, so he was shot. The article said the SUV was stolen-that in itself says he is a criminal. Nothing gone if he doesn't survive. Another thug off the streets for good.

jack
jack 12/15/08 - 12:39 pm
usnvet, when the driver is a

usnvet, when the driver is a criminal with weapons and drugs using his vehicle as a weapon.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/15/08 - 12:42 pm
Lipstank, my words are very

Lipstank, my words are very true. The same cadre of lowlife racist, are doing what they typically do. Just read this ignorant garbage by Jack11:34. Is there any surprise he would respond that way. They are like wind up dummies. I can pick a subject and his give his canned racist take on it.Reread the last line and you know what to do.

apex24
apex24 12/15/08 - 12:44 pm
RCR, I see your up to your

RCR, I see your up to your old tricks calling white people racist because they believe a black person should be punished for trying to kill a police officer. Just what the he!! do you want white people to do. Blacks are already in the news everyday with robbing and stealing from places of business. Do you just want white people to look the other way. No way!!!!!!!!

jack
jack 12/15/08 - 12:46 pm
Rcr, you ain't gonna get any

Rcr, you ain't gonna get any sympathy for a black criminal other than you, Justus4 and your racist ilk. Ya' won't get any sympathy for a black or white criminal from those you named (or me) either.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 12/15/08 - 12:47 pm
I would like to know what in

I would like to know what in either of my post violated policy?I did not mention race, sex or religion. The bottom line is that these thugs need to be taught a lesson. If if was up to me I would place a curfew on this area for at least 30 days and if you are not a resident or on legitimate business, you will be asked to leave or be arrested. This was senseless and brought about by the complacency of residents and Housing Authority. People are allowed to just loiter all day and night. The time for discussion is over. When you risk the lives of Police, Firefighters and EMTs, not to mention fellow resident, then it is time to clamp down and I mean hard.

apex24
apex24 12/15/08 - 12:50 pm
Hypo, well said!!

Hypo, well said!!

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/15/08 - 12:52 pm
Jack, this isn't about no

Jack, this isn't about no black criminal. This is about lowlifes, like you, always making hateful comments about blacks. No wonder they can't stand the likes of you.

MIZ UNDERSTOOD
MIZ UNDERSTOOD 12/15/08 - 12:52 pm
You guys are Awesome! Look

You guys are Awesome! Look what America has come to. I feel as though we are more segregated today as we were decades ago. America is in trying times right now, yet we contiue to harm eachother and put eachother down. It's always Black this and White that. We are all Americans people. Look at our president getting shoes thrown at his yesterday, even the foreign countries dont respect us. America needs to be rebuilt and that will happen under the Obama Administration. So the next time you see someone down, extend your hand to help lift them up instead of extending it to knock them back down. No one is exempt to this recession. Its for real people. Now is the time to come together. I took a break from my busy day to read the news paper as I always do and this is what I see. So many racist chants, so many predetermined remarks, so much hate and ignorance. STOP THE HATRED, STOP THE VIOLENCE!

PTHS225
PTHS225 12/15/08 - 12:55 pm
HYPO - I thought your posts

HYPO - I thought your posts wre clear, succint, to the point and did not come anywhere close to "the line". I can't explain it.....I wish I had saved them but I had NO idea they would or should be deleted. Beat's me, man.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 12/15/08 - 12:57 pm
You can count yourself at the

You can count yourself at the top of that miz. Some of your own comments were out of line.

gagirl40
gagirl40 12/15/08 - 12:58 pm
Nowhere in the article does

Nowhere in the article does it say the man who was shot was black. Nowhere in the article does it say the shooting officers were white. All of you on both sides assuming that is the case are getting a little ahead of yourselves and seriously stereotyping both!

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/15/08 - 12:59 pm
Apex, where have you been

Apex, where have you been man? The only reason you resurface, is when one these incidence happen. That gives you a reason to spew your venom.Why didn't you comment on the young white fella, murdering the pastor? What about the mother murdering little Caylee? What about the rapist in North Augusta?You have an uncanny ability to look over certain crimes. Why don't you bigots, stop smoking meth, and clean before you own filthy doorstep. So Apex, take your venom and crawl back to sewer you came from.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 12/15/08 - 01:10 pm
*faints*

*faints*

bt1usnret
bt1usnret 12/15/08 - 01:13 pm
Why did'nt the law use spike

Why did'nt the law use spike strips or shoot out a tire to try and disable the vehicle?

ripjones
ripjones 12/15/08 - 01:14 pm
MIZ_UNDERSTOOD -- I live in a

MIZ_UNDERSTOOD -- I live in a blended neighborhood. I work in a blended office. My neighborhood is quiet, and I don't have police there every night. I disagree with most of your post. If you will get rid of the criminal element, the hatred and violence will take care of itself. This is the way MY neighborhood works.

bt1usnret
bt1usnret 12/15/08 - 01:17 pm
Amen

Amen

ripjones
ripjones 12/15/08 - 01:18 pm
Interesting thing about spike

Interesting thing about spike strips -- your wheels have to be rollling to roll over them. The felon was stopped, and then decided to ram both patrol cars. Shooting out a tire is a little tough to do, and there is always the possibility of a richochet.

doggiebites
doggiebites 12/15/08 - 01:19 pm
rebel this ,ignorance is

rebel this ,ignorance is bliss, get your eyes off the tree see whats happining to the forest. those poor negros nobody likes them, WHY, ignorant lion

I_Wear_Lipstick_2
I_Wear_Lipstick_2 12/15/08 - 01:31 pm
Racism is a learned hatred.

Racism is a learned hatred. It's so sad that RCR's children have been brought up to hate white people.

steve-o
steve-o 12/15/08 - 01:35 pm
Looks like we may get

Looks like we may get ourselves a riot in Augusta this year after all!

doggiebites
doggiebites 12/15/08 - 01:39 pm
is it justice4 or just us 4

is it justice4 or just us 4 on behalf of all black people ,raise your kids right or get a lot of shovels you only have yourselfs to blame.how come korians dont have all this drama,or any other race for that matter. mabee its the why learn when you can earn attitude and the gangster worship. makes me sick, every generation gets worse not better

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/15/08 - 01:40 pm
Lipstank, I don't teach my

Lipstank, I don't teach my kids to hate anyone. People like you, will teach them to hate white people. Most of the hatred balcks have shown whites, was learned from whites. You have treated blacks with hate, now they are responding with hate. If you had followed the Golden Rule, you wouldn't be in the situation, you're in now. This incident only unleash the frustrations, these indivisuals have faced. BTW, why don't you comment on the overt racism constantly launch at blacks by others on here. You can't treat people with disdain, then expect them to love you.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/15/08 - 01:43 pm
An update to the original

An update to the original article states the young man that was shot, rammed the front patrol car and as the deputy got out of his vehicle and approached the suspect, he put his vehicle in reverse, rammed the deputy's vehicle behind him and then drove towards the deputy in front on him (who was out of his vehicle). It also stated that the SUV has not been searched yet but drugs and ammo can be seen inside. For all of you wanting to defend this suspect, maybe you will reconsider your comments now that he isn't so innocent. I'm sorry this young man was shot but until people start doing the right thing they'll have to pay the consequences of their bad decisions.

I_Wear_Lipstick_2
I_Wear_Lipstick_2 12/15/08 - 01:43 pm
Exactly what situation am I

Exactly what situation am I in now, RCR?

steve-o
steve-o 12/15/08 - 01:47 pm
Maybe we'll get the reverend

Maybe we'll get the reverend Al to grace us with his presence this time! We got Jessie to come down here several years ago when the Alfeygo Davis thing happened. Neither of them came when Mr Floyd and his 85 year old wife were gunned down in their business though. hmmmm.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/15/08 - 01:50 pm
Lipstank,ride down to

Lipstank,ride down to Cherrytree, and pretend to utter, what you say on here. They will tear you from limb to limb.

bone
bone 12/15/08 - 01:51 pm
gee, the name-calling on here

gee, the name-calling on here is bringing such love and understanding, rcr. the alleged perp makes a poor choice, gets shot, crowd of project dwellers gets excuse to go nuts (and AMAZINGLY no one gets killed), and we all sit in judgment...about the way police handled a situation. somehow, obama is going to have to bring some sense to all of this rampant stupidity that seems to surround certain communities.

steve-o
steve-o 12/15/08 - 01:53 pm
The reverend Al hasn't been

The reverend Al hasn't been to Augusta to see his girlfriend in a few months! He's due an Augusta visit!

steve-o
steve-o 12/15/08 - 01:55 pm
Then Big Al can stick around

Then Big Al can stick around for the James Brown toy give-away!

Harsh sentence for Islamic State support

An Augusta man intent on joining the terrorist Islamic State was sentenced Tuesday to the maximum 15-year prison term for criminal attempt to provide assistance to a terrorist organization.