Masters badges to be pricier

The Masters Tournament badge, one of the toughest tickets to obtain in sports, will cost slightly more in 2009.

The price of a series badge will cost $200, an increase of $25, an Augusta National Golf Club spokesman confirmed this week. A series badge covers admission for all four tournament rounds.

It is the first increase for a Masters badge since 2004, when the price went up to $175 from $125.

Application forms to tournament patrons are expected to be mailed out by the end of this month or in early January, the spokesman said.

Earlier this year, Augusta National announced that the price of tickets to the 2009 practice rounds would go up by $5. Tickets for Monday and Tuesday practice rounds cost $36 each. A ticket to Wednesday's practice round, which also includes the popular Par-3 Contest, will cost $41.

Compared with other major sporting events and golf's other major tournaments, the face value of a Masters badge is still considered a bargain. The U.S. Open costs $400, the British Open is $266, and the PGA Championship charges $300.

All of those prices are for a badge that includes admission for all practice and tournament rounds.

The Masters will continue with its Junior Pass Program, which was implemented in 2008. The program allows accredited patrons to bring a child (age 8-16) to each of the four tournament days.

A Masters badge has long been considered one of the toughest tickets in sports.

A waiting list for series badges was established in 1972 and closed in 1978 when demand far exceeded the club's supply.

The waiting list briefly reopened in 2000 and individuals who applied for practice-round tickets from 1998-2000 were added by random selection. No applications for series badges are currently being taken.

The 2009 Masters will be held April 6-12.

Reach John Boyette at (706) 823-3337 or john.boyette@augustachronicle.com.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/12/08 - 04:31 pm
Alrighttttttt!! Raise those

Alrighttttttt!! Raise those prices so that people will be dropping like flies because they can't afford the increase!!! That means it'll be easier for ME to get MY tickets!! I was lucky enough to be added to that list in 2000, but haven't heard anything yet, but now I'm only a few disgruntled fans away from getting my tickets!! Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!............Yeah, you're right. I'll probably have to wait for more than that to get my tickets. Oh, well..a guy can dream, right?? Oh, great and powerful Mr. Hootie?!?!?! Can you PLEASE go ahead and put me on the Patron list this year???? I absolutely promise that I will NEVER, EVER sell my badges to anybody!!

corgimom
corgimom 12/12/08 - 05:40 pm
I was a good friend of Allen

I was a good friend of Allen Caldwell, who shot himself over Masters tickets. It was very painful then and it's still difficult now, even after all these years. It is an open secret that the people on the badge list buy them for face value and then sell them for thousands. The year that Allen shot himself, the going rate was $2,000 for a badge but then when Tiger was going to play, it increased to $10,000. So when I hear about Masters' badge increases- especially for so little- it makes me sick.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/12/08 - 06:34 pm
Of course it's an absolute

Of course it's an absolute shame and tragedy about Mr. Caldwell's death. And I'm sure I don't have to tell you that greed and despair was at the root of his demise. Greed on his part for wanting more money...greed on the part of people wanting to purchase those badges at any cost. The Augusta National is certainly not to blame for the greed that overcomes people when they seek the tournament badges. I'm sorry that you still feel the sharp pain of Mr. Caldwell's death. It shows how much of a friend he was to you. As far as I am concerned, if I was ever lucky enough to get the badges, I meant what I said about never selling them. They are too hard to come by, and too easy to lose.

iletuknow
iletuknow 12/12/08 - 07:01 pm
Gotta pay for those expensive

Gotta pay for those expensive parking lots!

corgimom
corgimom 12/12/08 - 07:41 pm
It wasn't about greed. I

It wasn't about greed. I should know, I was both his personal and business accountant.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/12/08 - 07:45 pm
corgimom, I bow to your

corgimom, I bow to your personal experience regarding your friend's situation. I certainly meant no disrespect. Sadly, however, greed does play a part in the tearing down of the lives of many people.

GnipGnop1
GnipGnop1 12/13/08 - 04:12 am
They should require you to

They should require you to show ID when you enter the gate. The badge should correspond with the original purchaser's name and the names of his guests (whom all have to show ID's unless they are minors) I bet that would tick a lot of people off.

palomino9
palomino9 12/13/08 - 05:03 am
they have to pay for all of

they have to pay for all of the land they are sucking up

WW1949
WW1949 12/13/08 - 10:30 am
palomino9, paying for the

palomino9, paying for the land was no problem. They are a very rich club and give away millions each year after the tournament to worthey causes. They run the club very well and all vendors and employees do everything exactly like THEY want and at the time they want or they are sent packing. They provide decent pay and benifits for their employees. I have done work for them for the past years and do exactly like they want. Nothing wrong with that because they pay well. Augusta is very lucky to have them and by the way, the land sure looks pretty riding down Berkman's road.

Leroy
Leroy 12/13/08 - 01:51 pm
Say all you want, but I don't

Say all you want, but I don't think people will be "dropping like flies". A price of $200 is a steal compared to other events, and the line to get badges won't get any shorter because of this.

And to anyone who complains about the National "sucking up land" or doing any other evil deed, remember that Augusta is nothing without the Masters. Trust me when I say nobody would know where Augusta is without that one week a year in April. If the National is so evil, then by all means leave Augusta.

And if someone is killing themselves over a Master's badge, they obviously have bigger issues.

zekemire
zekemire 01/18/09 - 01:00 pm
What hippocric the rulers of

What hippocric the rulers of AN and The Masters are! They supposedly want to promote golf, but, their ticket and patron policies are at worst criminal! They have a closed list of people who can buy tickets, they say that if you are caught reselling them you will lose you ability to get them, they sell badges to patrons that are then resold by ticket brokers, scalpers for $400 to $10000 for a ticket costing $175, and AN does nothing about it! I have been trying to get badges since 1970, I have been able to attend the practice rounds the first 4 years they started a lottery on them, and have not been able to get one since. I am th person that AN supposedly wants to attract. An average Joe, doing OK but not wealthy, an ardent golfer who would use my tickets and attend every day unless sick, and, would buy items at the course! So where is the promote the game of golf agenda? LOST IN THE GREED OF THOSE LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE ON "THELIST" I guess!

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.